Colt Official Police MK III

PDA

MortalWombat
August 29, 2007, 09:09 PM
Anyone know anything about these revolvers? I just bought one today, will pick it up Saturday. The cylinder seemed tight, the timing looked good, trigger felt nice and smooth. A little wear in the bluing, but it looks like it was mainly holstered and unholstered but shot little. And for $249, I figured what the heck. I've always wanted a Colt. The serial number (J68xxx) puts it at 1971 according to this (http://proofhouse.com/colt/mlll.htm). Will it handle +P loads, or should I stick with standard .38 special loads?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Official Police MK III" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
evan price
August 30, 2007, 08:07 AM
Good price. Good gun. You won't break it. I'd stick with regular .38sp loads for practice because there's no need to use anything more unless you are talking SD loadings.

MortalWombat
August 30, 2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. So is it OK to shoot +P loads occasionally?

Cosmoline
August 30, 2007, 01:28 PM
It's an OP, which means the frame is considerably stronger than most modern revolvers. You can shoot +P's out of OP's from before the war without problems, so a Mk. III is more than strong enough. LSWCHP's should shoot very well in it. For maximum accuracy the Colts seem to like 158 grain RN lead slugs. And if it's like the Colts I've shot before you'll be gobsmacked by the groups you can get with it. They're real tack drivers.

Majic
August 30, 2007, 07:36 PM
The OP MkIII will stand up to a lifetime of +P .38 spl loads. It's on the same size frame as the Trooper MkIII which was a very durable .357 magnum revolver.

MortalWombat
August 30, 2007, 09:20 PM
So these loads (http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#38spl) would be OK in it? They approach low end .357 mag ballistics.

Old Fuff
August 30, 2007, 09:37 PM
The MkIII series Official Police was rated for +P ammunition, and on that score you won't have problems. The only serious fault is that if you break a firing pin, factory replacement is a must. It's O.K. to dry fire, but use snap caps. I have a somewhat unusual 6" model, and it's a tack driver.

Parts and some accessories are available from www.e-gunparts.com

Jack2427
September 1, 2007, 12:32 AM
The MK III series were real workhorses, they were designed to engineer out the problems with the earlier models (Official Police, Trooper and Python) that required lots of hand fitting, and a really skilled person for repairs. And they did so admirably. If only Colt has stayed in the wheelgun game......
You can shoot any factory 38 load in them, in unlimited quantity, including +P+. It is the exact same gun they put the .357 cylinder into.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Official Police MK III" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!