XDs or Sigs

PDA

Roadwild17
August 29, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm looking to get to handguns in .45 and have pretty much narrowed the field to the sig 220 and 220 compact or the xd compact and xd 5" mod. I'm looking for 1 full size gun and one compact carry sized gun, both having magazine "commonality" (I know that's probably not a word) for the compact to use the full sized mags and controls are the same for training purposes.

Price is possibally the largest concirn in this purchuse being my "fun fund" has ben cut deap because I'm getting maired in a year. I figgure I could get both XDs for the price of the sig 220 compact and spend the rest on some gear and training.

If you enjoyed reading about "XDs or Sigs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cslinger
August 29, 2007, 10:30 PM
Where is the both option????

I own both the SIG P220 and P245(Old 220 compact) and the XD45 compact (which can act as a full size with the full size magazine)

Tough call. The SIG is much "nicer" and it does shoot better in terms of accuracy. The XD however is a powerhouse with 14 rounds on tap and very versatile.

Both are completely reliable in my exp.

Both serve bedside duty, although the XD with Streamlight seems to be the most common bed side companion.

I dunno, if it were me I would go for the SIG, but I am a SIG guy so take that for what its worth. As tools with no emotional bias either will do just fine. Find one that fits best.

Here is the XD compared to a SIG P245 and P229. Note the XD has the 10 round compact magazine in.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/114286.JPG

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/114285.JPG

Chris

todd-45
August 29, 2007, 10:32 PM
The XD is a great gun but I just prefer a traditional DA/SA to a striker fired gun. Either would be a great gun though. I own both, the XD in a 9mm and they are both reliable.

Roadwild17
August 29, 2007, 10:50 PM
Danget Chris, those sigs are just sooo freaking sexy, I hate you :p

10-Ring
August 30, 2007, 01:33 AM
Not a fan of the XD or the SIG, so I voted 'other' :cool:

evan price
August 30, 2007, 07:09 AM
Truthfully, it is apples to oranges unless you want a DAK Sig. They are just different.
If you want a "glocky" gun get the XD. If you want something metal get a Sig.

My best advice is find someplace to rent both and see which one YOU shoot best.

Both guns are good guns.

gtmtnbiker98
August 30, 2007, 11:23 AM
You can't really compare the two, now comparing an XD to an M&P or Glock would be a good comparison but not to a Sig. Two different animals in two different leagues. Personal opinion, of course.

XDKingslayer
August 30, 2007, 02:19 PM
You can't really compare the two, now comparing an XD to an M&P or Glock would be a good comparison but not to a Sig. Two different animals in two different leagues.

Why?

This is an answer I've been trying to get for a long, long time. What makes Sigs so much better than Glocks or XDs? Why are they twice the price? Is their coating that much better? Higher quality metal? If so, how do you know?

What makes them such a higher quality firearm?

Nobody seems to be able to answer that with anything other than opinion.

Don't waste your money. Get the XD. Higher capacity, great reliability, good accuracy. The only thing the Sig has on the XD is price.

Highland Ranger
August 30, 2007, 02:57 PM
I'll take a shot at an answer - go back 15-20 years when semi auto's were first being looked at for use by police departments. Many were unreliable and did not go bang every time like the trusty revolver.

When the HK USP hit our shores in the early 90's it was a big deal, and you paid a premium for it being reliable and durable.

But that's changed - we now get really pissed when we buy a gun that isn't reliable out of the box and rightly so. And almost every if not every police department issues semi autos.

So maybe there was a reliability and durability issue with many semi autos then - and Sigs for the most part were reliable and durable, then.

Today it takes more to differentiate yourself because there are more hi quality durable and reliable firearms like the XD on the market, that are not expensive to boot.

finalcut
August 30, 2007, 03:02 PM
I like the way XD feels in my hand better - think Sig has a slight higher quality - but not worth the extra $$$$$$$.

D-Man
August 30, 2007, 03:04 PM
This is an answer I've been trying to get for a long, long time. What makes Sigs so much better than Glocks or XDs? Why are they twice the price? Is their coating that much better? Higher quality metal? If so, how do you know?

What makes them such a higher quality firearm?

Nobody seems to be able to answer that with anything other than opinion.

I will guess that the poster may have meant they aren't an easy comparison because the Glock is polymer and the Sig is alloy (excluding the SigPro line). So the poster tried to keep the comparison with all polymer guns.

EdLaver
August 30, 2007, 03:08 PM
I have both, love both. The XD does fit my hand better though.

col_tapiocca
August 30, 2007, 03:20 PM
I own a SigSauer P225 and used to own a P226.
SigSauer are quite accurate but too expensive for the quality you get. Furthermore slide of SigSauer P22x Serie pistol are are not milled from solid block of steel. Just processed with metal forming.
Not very durable. SigSauer P22x Serie was devoloped for LEO/ Military. The design lifespan is 20000 - 30000 rounds.

Therefore very few people shoot IPSC here with SigSauer P22x series. (Few in the production class)

It very common that a SigSauer after 20000 round get a crack.

SigSauer are not worth for the money!
JMO

gtmtnbiker98
August 30, 2007, 03:31 PM
First of all, take a chill pill. I wasn't saying that one was better than the other! Relax, you'll live longer.

What I was meaning is that the XDs, Glocks and M&Ps are striker fired weapons and Sigs are DA/SA, DAO, and DAK weapons (i.e. they have a hammer). No where did I mention the quality of said firearms nor price. In addition, the XD's are polymer and the Sigs are metal/alloy - again, different animals.

As for my true opinion of the XD line, I wouldn't take one if one was given to me. Just my opinion. As for Sigs, well, I prefer the fit and finish of Sigs over any XD and I absolutely love my Glocks and M&Ps. If it isn't made in Austria or partially imported from Germany and assembled in New Hampshire then it is a Smith & Wesson.

CountGlockula
August 30, 2007, 03:37 PM
Glad to hear that you're going after some training.

I chose other...GLOCK!

Creature
August 30, 2007, 03:56 PM
Go Sig!

shooter1
August 30, 2007, 04:12 PM
You can't really compare the two, now comparing an XD to an M&P or Glock would be a good comparison but not to a Sig. Two different animals in two different leagues. Personal opinion, of course.

So true! The enginering, and execution of the design is near flawless in the Sigs. The XD is in the Glock/M&P/Taurus class of service and utility class pistols. That is not a bad thing, they perform well in that capacity.
str1

ccso906
August 30, 2007, 04:18 PM
Ditto on the both option. I have a p220 full size and XD .45acp 4". Love them both. the XD fits my had a little better.

ZeSpectre
August 30, 2007, 04:43 PM
Having owned both an XD and a SIG (in .40 S&W in my case) I have to say go find a CPO (certified pre-owned) SIG if you can. The XD is a great gun and if that is what your budget will allow I doubt you'll regret it, BUT as others have said, the SIG is a whole different class of firearm.

(Unless you have very long fingers, then you aren't going to like the SIG much)

Samuraigg
August 30, 2007, 05:32 PM
Funny you posted this. I recently turned 21 and this past summer I decided to buy my first handgun. I knew I wanted a .45, so it basically came down between a Sig and an XD. Everything I read about the XD said it was a fine gun, and I saw nothing but glowing praise for Sig. I eventually figured the Sig edged out the XD, it really is in a different class of handgun. The only category that I see the XD beating out the Sig is in magazine capacity, but I'm someone who thinks magazine capacity is something that is overrated anyway. I think the Sig is an awesome choice.

But hey, if you someday get the money to do so, buy both!

mpmarty
August 30, 2007, 05:52 PM
I had to go with the XD as I feel that the long term reliability and useful life of the XD is greater than the SIG. The magazine capacity is higher, the ergonomics are far more to my liking, the slide is actually forged from a billet of steel, the frame rails make a glock look like some kind of booby trap for the user and so the "other" wasn't an option. The XD is lighter by a few ounces empty but that changes with fourteen rounds of 45 in place. Accuracy of my XDs has always run between an inch and a half to two inches at twenty five yards which is plenty and outshoots most of the SIGs of the same caliber. I'm not saying the XD is always more accurate but the few SIGs I've seen shoot tighter than an inch and a half were few and far between. I believe part of this is due to the inherent accuracy advantage of a striker fired weapon, you don't have the hammer movement prior to ignition messing up the alignment on target.

Ghostrider_23
August 30, 2007, 06:28 PM
XD the very best of all worlds. Safety & SA of the 1911. Break down like a Sig. Reliability and useful life like a Glock.

mgregg85
August 30, 2007, 08:26 PM
I would recommend an XD45 compact in a Service(4") or Tactical(5") barrel length. With the compact you get the XD with a shorter grip frame and one 10 round magazine and then a full size 13 round magazine with the mag spacer giving you the same size and appearance of the full size weapon. I have the service length compact and I love it. I wanted the Sig in .45 auto but I couldn't justify the higher cost, especially when the XD has a much higher capacity and simpler manual of arms for concealed carry use. If the grip frame is roughly the same size and the gun roughly the same weight, then why not have the higher capacity and more size options.

Ops Officer
August 30, 2007, 10:55 PM
cslinger quote: "Both serve bedside duty, although the XD with Streamlight seems to be the most common bed side companion."

Interesting. Though I rotate my bedside gun, my XD-45 Tactical with a TLR-2 has the duty most of the time. I also keep a P245 next to it. It has bright XS sights.

August 31, 2007, 01:54 PM
I voted for the XD even though I like my P220. Since cost is a factor the XD wins there and will go bang just like the Sig.

Rokman
August 31, 2007, 02:31 PM
I voted for the XD because it is a good pistol for the money and you mentioned that the funs might be low due to your upcoming marriage. Sigs are great, but they are in a whole different price range.

Scorpiusdeus
August 31, 2007, 02:43 PM
Having both, I'd go with the Sig.

Black Majik
August 31, 2007, 02:52 PM
WOW. SIG and XD are neck and neck at 35 votes.

I voted SIG. It's a better shooter for me. More refined, definitely better looking and cleaner trigger.

XDs are great, just not SIG great. :D

DevilDog0402
August 31, 2007, 03:18 PM
For the money, I went with the XD.

zeroskillz
August 31, 2007, 05:22 PM
Since you're getting married, do you think your wife will be happier with you spending the $$ for an XD or a Sig? Get the Sig now, before you get married!
Buy the XD later. Trust me on this.
:D

Seriously though, get whichever fits you best and feels best to shoot.
That's all that really matters.
They're both good guns.
They're both reliable guns.
If it isn't fun to shoot, you won't want to keep it.

As far as my opinion goes, personally, I think comparing an XD to a Sig is like comparing a Scion to a BMW, but that's me. ;)

BamBam-31
August 31, 2007, 05:38 PM
Since you're getting married, do you think your wife will be happier with you spending the $$ for an XD or a Sig? Get the Sig now, before you get married!
Buy the XD later. Trust me on this.

+1 :D

.357 magnum
September 1, 2007, 12:38 PM
The biggest factor to me is Mag Capacity! :evil:The XD to me is just as accurate as most Sigs and you get those 14 total rounds! :D

The Best to You and Yours!

Frank

glockman19
September 1, 2007, 01:32 PM
Another "Other" vote.

In a .45 it's only a 1911 for me. .40 would be a sig or HK and 9mm Glock all the way. I don't see a XD in my collection now or in the near future

Roadwild17
September 2, 2007, 02:35 PM
After reading this and a few other articles/forums and renting, Im ever more confused.

At the range I rented both & shot 10 round groups at 21 ft. Gropings were in the 2"ish range with one round breaking low and to the right.

I like the 14 rounds of 45 the xd can offer compared to the 8 of the 220 but I like the double strike capability of the sig. Overall they both feel good.

Thinking to any possible bands, I feel the xd would face a greater threat being its a high cap gun and with the money not being what I would want it to be, I think the XD is going to nudge the sig to second place.

suprmatch
September 2, 2007, 02:49 PM
I don't think you have really thought this through. If you can only by one pistol because you are getting married you shouldn't get married. Then you can still get both. Look at all that stress I helped you get rid of.:)

.357 magnum
September 2, 2007, 07:36 PM
I was at the range yesterday with my service model XD [ I have a tactical model too] I know .45 ammo is expensive [ I fight that battle all the time] I ran some 230gr Federal Hydra-shoks and Winchester SXT's through it, to test it for hollow point reliability.[It is my newest acquired Gun] I have to admit, it still surprises me how accurate it is for a polymer pistol. As a defensive handgun, its very difficult to beat out 13-14 shots of .45 --Stick with the XD you will never regret it! I have had three now and have never had a failure of any kind! As for the Marriage part/ Well if God Blesses you with a Good Woman, Good Guns, and Good dogs, you are already in heaven! I have all Three:D I know I sure as H:evil::evil:l was not meant to be a alone-Gotta have someone to antagonize:).

Take care Buddy!

The Best to You and Yours!

Frank

76shuvlinoff
September 3, 2007, 01:08 AM
I do not know all Sigs but I did 3 days of training with a borrowed SigPro 2340. I loved it and would own a Sig today were it not for that decocker and me being a lefty.
I purchased a 4" XD40. Nice gun and you don't pay gold plated pricing for it but I wanted something smaller and traded it for an XD40 3" subcompact. Another nice weapon but even with my small hands the short grip is too short for comfort. I shoot much better with an extended mag in it. This is a shooter problem, not a weapon problem.
I purchased the XD45 when it hit the market, guess I had to be the first kid on the block. Another excellant weapon, loved practicing with it but felt it was too large for me to carry concealed so I took the XD40 subcompact out of the drawer and put it back in my belt. Traded the XD45 for a full size Kimber 1911 .....but that wasn't the question was it? :D
For carry it's my subcomp XD40. If I was right handed it might be a Sig but I still dislike a decocker. At the bedside it's the Kimber ..condition one.

76shuvlinoff
September 3, 2007, 01:15 AM
Sorry, I went on about .40s in a thread about .45s. My apologies.

SAG0282
September 3, 2007, 01:31 AM
That is a real tough one.......I own both, an XD45 and a non-.45ACP SIG pistol. I love them both. In .45, I think I have to lean ever so slightly toward the XD.....more bang for the buck for sure. It would have been a different answer in other calibers.

Roadwild17
September 3, 2007, 01:48 AM
.357 mag

I have a few good guns (can always have more), a good dog and a to be good wife.

Just dont ask me which I would take with me when the house catches fire, I guess she will get the dog :eek:

shadowalker
September 3, 2007, 08:28 PM
In 45 ACP I'd say get a XD or HK USP. In other calibers such as 40 S&W or 9mm I'd say go with the Sig.

The XD has an advantage in capacity, though the magazines are quite large to carry with and reflective stainless steel. The magazines tends to attract more attention during open carry or if your concealment fails, I'm considering having them finished black.

I own both Sigs and XDs and in my experience comparing the two is kind of like comparing a Camry to a BMW, both are quality and will get the job done quite well but not the same thing. I personally compare the M&P, XD and Glock, the CPO program has brought Sig into the same price range which is awesome.

In 3000 rounds fired I haven't had a single malfunction with my Sig P229, in 1000 fired through a 45 ACP XD I've had three failure to fires (all Winchester primers) that have fired with a second strike, problem being of course it is a striker design without second strike capability.

I like the fact Sigs have a more comfortable grip, especially with Hogue side panels, second strike, more established reliablity, aren't polymer, and have replaceable grips.

I have yet to find something in 40 S&W I like more than the P229.

Zen21Tao
September 3, 2007, 11:01 PM
If you have the extra money to spend, my vote is for the Sig. Quite simply, (IMHO) it is much higher class of weapon. But ultimately, I would say to try to find a range where you can rent both the Sig and XD to try out yourself. Then, go with which ever one feels best to you.

Ala Dan
September 4, 2007, 03:33 AM
I voted for the SIG's; but there is nothing wrong with the Springfield Armory
XD's~!;):D

esol
September 4, 2007, 12:34 PM
i voted for the XD
the Sig is a VERY nice gun, but with funds being on the low side right now, the XD is a better purchase.
as others have already said its more bang for the buck (no pun intended)

If you enjoyed reading about "XDs or Sigs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!