Opinions on the Walther P99QA model ?

PDA

Greg8098
August 30, 2007, 01:13 AM
Well, I have once again decided to buy another gun that I have always wanted. I didn't know anything about how the AS model operated when I ordered mine the other day. I did however watch a video on You Tube today about the AS model's trigger, and it seemed...., well...., kind of interesting. I hear that many people prefer the AS over the QA. I chose the QA because it is supposed to have a trigger very similar to the Glock. I am quite used to Glocks so I think I may have made the better choice for me. But my opinion is pure speculation, being that I have never even held a P99. I welcome any helpful comments. Is the QA model's trigger really that grotesque???

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on the Walther P99QA model ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
usp9
August 30, 2007, 12:56 PM
I have a P99c QA and I must say I like the trigger. I bought this gun on a whim because the price seemed too good ($375), to pass. After putting it through it's paces I am very impressed...so impressed it may become my CCW. The trigger in question is good. Mine has about 1/3" slack then a consistent pull for another 1/3" then a sharp, clean break. Reset is for all practical purposes a full stroke but the trigger springs forward and quickly resets, faster than I usually follow up. There is just enough pull there for safety-sake.

I can shoot this gun quicker than my DA/SA P2000SK. These two guns compare with each other closely, although the H&K LEM trigger would be a more direct comparison. I had a Glock 17 that never appealled to me, but the Walther has captured my attention. I like the Walther QA trigger...I did not like the Glock trigger. I do not think you'll be disappointed.

Phelptwan
August 30, 2007, 07:48 PM
Most people think the AS model is the best but I like the same trigger pull ever time. I've been using mine for a few months now and have quite a few rounds down range. I love it.

glennv
August 30, 2007, 09:04 PM
I a few SW99 and P99 and love the QA the best. Three of mine are the AS trigger and I think the system is complicated for a CCW. It has too three modes. Under stress your not going to want to fart around with it. I like to keep things simple. Just me though.

Shipwreck
August 30, 2007, 09:21 PM
I only like the A/S - the QA trigger is too heavy for my liking. The SA pull of the A/S is so sweet.

And, I do not think the A/S is overly complicated - You can choose not to use the "anti stress' feature for the 1st shot if U want to - U can just use it DA/SA. No more complicated than any other DA/SA

wally
August 30, 2007, 09:40 PM
What I don't like about the QA is the decocker from the AS is still part of the gun and if pressed takes the gun out of action until you retract the slide.

--wally.

aralls
August 30, 2007, 11:24 PM
I have a QA and love it. My brother just got his AS in today. I may eventually get an AS as well just because I love the P99 so much - ergonomics, pointability, pretty much everything.

Just remember that with the QA, when you press the decocker the gun is now "safe" and won't be able to fire until you pull the slide back a couple of milimeters to cock it.

With the AS model, pressing the decocker simply takes you back to double action mode and the gun is still ready to fire.

P.S. let me know if you need some more magazines. I have some for sale on the Walther forum.

Autolycus
August 31, 2007, 02:18 AM
Can anyone elaborate on the AS trigger. I was under the impression it was strictly a DA/SA trigger. What is this third mode?

Greg8098
August 31, 2007, 03:52 AM
Got my P99 today. The AS model came in, instead of the QA. Once I operated the trigger mechanism for the first time, I just knew it was a definite keeper :D!!! Not complicated at all :o.

Here is the video explaining the AS trigger system.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eyOZN_44Xd4

Shipwreck
August 31, 2007, 07:41 AM
Can anyone elaborate on the AS trigger. I was under the impression it was strictly a DA/SA trigger. What is this third mode?

The 3rd option is that U can set it to make the very first shot SA weight at the DA length of the pull - if you wish. So, The 1st shot will be like that instead of DA weight. But, this is an OPTION - most people do not mess with it.

Jack2427
September 1, 2007, 12:54 AM
The QA and the AS are tops for me. I do not like the DAO Walther at all. I kind of like the option of "decocking" the QA when in potential gun grab situations, only a slight pull of the slide is necessary to put the gun back in QA mode. About the only safer weapon in that situation is my BHP at half cock with the safety on. Most people familiar with the gun can't get it to fire in any reasonable length of time, let alone a local mutt. Both Walther and BHP allow lots of time for either the BUG or other remedial action(my preference is the BUG-a S&W 940 or the Walther compact).

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on the Walther P99QA model ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!