Start them young!

PDA

PDshooter
January 9, 2003, 12:04 AM
Well! this is a little to young:o But my 6yr old just wanted to try out my 45.
Now mind you ! I was wright behind his back. And I was holding his hands outward SAFETY FIRST!!!
And I know a 45 is NOT a pistol to start a youngster out on. (I was 7 and it was a 22.
But I thought this is just a neat Pic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Start them young!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kahr carrier
January 9, 2003, 12:26 AM
Thats cool ,brings back memories my dad started me out at that age.:)

cratz2
January 9, 2003, 01:06 AM
You ain't kiddin'

Sisco
January 9, 2003, 09:42 AM
Yeah, you start them young then the grow up on ya.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p467058a390ea6c8630728a846611c119/fccdebfc.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p0394e8ee0e4f01f5e0664c268ed867f7/fcf75ec8.jpg

JPM70535
January 9, 2003, 11:46 AM
When both my boys were 3 or 4 YOA (11 years apart) and were starting to show curiosity about Daddy's guns, I took then to the range along with my duty gun at the time, S&W 66 357 mag. With one WW 125 gr. STHP round in the cylinder and positioned right behind them holding their arms, I cocked it and let them pull the trigger. This blunted their desire to handle guns until they were old enough for proper instruction. (I believe they were around 10 when I really taught them how to safely handle firearms) And to their credit, both have beecome responsible firearms enthusiasts.
The older boy has long since gotten his CCP and the younger one is in the process of doing so

I know this is a little off subject, I just had to brag a little.

10-Ring
January 9, 2003, 12:32 PM
Absolutely! I have had the most fun lately when my son goes shooting w/ me.

ruger357
January 9, 2003, 12:41 PM
I taught my son the do's and dont's of firearms when he was 8.

AndABeer
January 9, 2003, 12:49 PM
my boy is almost 4 and i am very much looking forward to getting him to the range around 8, i thought i had his mom talked down to 10 in hopes of getting it even lower but for some reason she's back up to 12, oh well, guess i have to work on the sweet talk

blades67
January 9, 2003, 09:54 PM
I have a two year old and a three year old that love to help me by getting into the Q-tips and bore patches when I'm cleaning my guns.:D Soon enough they'll be at the range helping me get the guns dirty.:cool: Then I won't have to clean any guns for a few years.:evil:

m.i.sanders
January 9, 2003, 10:06 PM
My daughter just got her first bb gun for Christmas, and now she's trying to talk me into getting her a shotgun and a .22. :D
Only trouble is, if I do that, it'll cut into my toy buying.

New_comer
January 9, 2003, 10:27 PM
My 11 yr old son could already outshoot me at 15 yards! :what: :eek:

Dang, these eyes are now failing me... :D

Hawaiian
January 9, 2003, 10:28 PM
When I was young I played with dad's guns when he was not around. That is why my 12 year old son shoots with me and has his own guns. Yes curiosity killed many kids. Cure the curiosity and teach gun safety and it just may save a life.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=41365

yzguy
January 9, 2003, 11:06 PM
He likes to pull the trigger on my paint ball gun....

http://www.1bad69.com/gallery/jason/dcp00580.jpg

Dan Shapiro
January 9, 2003, 11:29 PM
cratz2, that's priceless!! :D :D

Scott13
January 9, 2003, 11:40 PM
I first started with handguns with my Dad when i was 12. Iam
still not sure if it was a good age or not ? He taught me all the safety rules , but when your a kid that age you still imo may not have a real idea of the reality that guns are deadly , i remember
still wanting to play with them when my dad was not around .
It wasnt until about 17 that i wised up . I think shooting with your Dad is alot of fun , but for me personally i wouldnt let me do it over again if i was my Dad until i was 16-17 , just my opion
i think everybody is different and can make up their own age.
based on their kids attitudes towards guns.

New_comer
January 9, 2003, 11:41 PM
cratz2, that's priceless!! A 'Tamara' in the making??? ;)

rock jock
January 10, 2003, 01:03 AM
My nephew with my scoped AR.

You can tell by that look of wonder what he saying: "Can you really shoot the eye out of a gnat at 100 yds, Uncle Brian?!"

sixgun_symphony
January 10, 2003, 01:11 AM
My daughter just got her first bb gun for Christmas, and now she's trying to talk me into getting her a shotgun and a .22.

Only trouble is, if I do that, it'll cut into my toy buying.

New England Firearms (http://www.hr1871.com/)

I would pick up one of those youth model Topper shotguns in 20ga or maybe 28ga. They are good, simple sporting arms that are very affordable.
http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/small/topperJrC_T.jpg

That and a good used .22 rifle and you have some nice guns without breaking the bank.

*8*
January 10, 2003, 01:24 AM
Hey folks, great to hear most of ya'all are teaching your kids how to shoot. If I get married someday, I'll make sure, my future kids are going to get some trigger time.

sm
January 10, 2003, 01:30 AM
Thanks for sharing. Great pics.

PDshooter,
I was that size-second grade-Singer Gov't 45 at a NG range, Gunny sat behind me, but boy did I have fun, addicted ever since.

MessedUpMike
January 10, 2003, 02:55 AM
Somebody beat me with the paint ball picture, fun way to start them out to. My oldest has been shooting my paintball pistol since he was three, my daughter is a little more unpredictable so she's still regulated to throwing darts. The boy will trun five soon and already knows more about guns than his mother. Last gun show I put him up on my shoulders (better field of view) and used him to scope out AR parts for me.

Bob Locke
January 10, 2003, 03:34 AM
I would pick up one of those youth model Topper shotguns in 20ga or maybe 28ga. They are good, simple sporting arms that are very affordable.
I got a Topper in 20 ga. for Christmas when I was 11 (turned 12 the next month). Still have it. Waiting to give it to my number 2 son (oldest is autistic, and he won't be handling firearms) when he's a few years older.

Killed a LOT of squirrels and rabbits with that little gun! :D

Matt G
January 10, 2003, 05:40 AM
Great pics.

Be sure to get the kids to be able to recite The Four Rules Of Firearms Safety (http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html) by rote. Make it a game, and call out a number, and see if they can recite the Rule.

Safety training must (Must) [MUST!] start early.

Teach them well, y'all! :D

m.i.sanders
January 10, 2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks Sixgun, Bob,
I'll have to look into the Topper. I'd probably get the 28 if the shells are not too hard to find around here. She really does seem intrested in Trap.

PDshooter
January 10, 2003, 08:54 AM
Thanks everybody! this has been a great responce?

I wish this forum had spell CK!:scrutiny:

doseyclwn
January 10, 2003, 09:17 AM
Guns and kids! Ohmigod, they're gonna get shot! I can't believe it!!!! I'm telling Joe Lieberman right away!!!

JK!! I have a son who's 22 months old and shows no interest in my gun whatsoever. I plan on talking to him about it as soon as he is old enough to be curious. I guess at around 8 or so, I will have him take a gun safety course. Here in VA, you have to take a course to get your CCW. I took the NRA First Steps Basic Pistol course. When I did, there was a family with their 2 boys, ages 8 and 10 who took the class. I thought that was cool.

Bainx
January 10, 2003, 11:30 AM
Both of my daughters learned the four rules and fired 22s, SKS, and 38 snubbys by age 9. I could plant an unloaded air-soft 1911 in their room and every time, they did not touch the gun but left the room and found me or wife. Proud of them.

Carlos Cabeza
January 10, 2003, 11:42 AM
Excellent pics everyone !!!! gotta love them younguns !

Brad Johnson
January 10, 2003, 02:10 PM
I had some friend out to shoot clays last Sunday, and they brought their 4-year old daughter. I was thinking "Great".

She had a blast! As we were getting set up she started messing with the trip cord on the bird thrower. Her dad set it and showed her how to pull and she was hooked. I set her up with her own little set of earmuffs and jr sized plugs and turned her loose. She ended up being out little firing line policegirl. She was so cute when she would yell at anyone who even ventured closed to the line without clearing their weapon. Good Girl!

We shot two cases of birds, and she pulled every single one! The smart little toot even figured out how to make the birds go in different places by setting them in different spots on the throwing tray. We would cock the arm, but she did everything else.

We ended up shooting my Ruger 22/45 for a few minutes. While her Dad held the gun steady she would carefully put her little hands on the grip and use both fingers to pull the trigger.

I got a call from her Dad yesterday saying that we're going to have to go back out this weekend 'cause that's all she's talked about. At one point I heard her in the background saying "go shoot, Daddy!" All of a sudden Kenny got real choked up said he'd have to call me back. Turns out the the little stinker overheard us talking about what shells cost, and had gone to her room and gotten her piggy bank. When she yelled "Go shoot, Daddy" she plopped her piggy bank in Kenny's lap. Awwwww, how cute!

Brad

St. Gunner
January 12, 2003, 10:32 AM
Maggie is going to be three the 26th of this month, grandpa bought her a 10/22 almost a year ago. It sits in my safe, but she does shoot it. I stand behind her and grip the stock and forend, she sticks in under her armpit and grips the forearm and then she pulls the trigger, always empties the mag, this one is going to be expensive to keep in shells.:D She started showing an interest in guns about the time she could walk, she pets em in the safe and says, "I love these guns, they is cool."

Here are some pics of her with her gun.

She hunts with me all the time, we did a dove and quail hunt the other evening and then went and sat in the truck watching for deer or hogs, ended up shooting a bobcat. She loves the whole guns-outdoors-hunting deal to death. Figure I have a partner in a few more years.

Selfdfenz
January 12, 2003, 11:01 AM
This tread is probably driving the anti-gun lurkers out of their collective mind. (s omitted intentionally)

NEA did not make their 22/sg combo when I got my Rossi 22/410 combo. I think I gave about $90 for it.

My son is not crazy about the the 410 recoil but he will wear me out loading Colibres in the 22.
He has fired a scoped 22 now and respects what it does for his accuaracy. He has also shot the 22/45 with the Ultadot installed.
Great times for the both of us.

As a result he requested that Santa provide him with a red dot for the Rossi. He will get one for his birthday. The shooting glasses and ear muffs are His equip, all the firearms are My equip.
We have Q&A about FA safety all the time. Weekend TV watching provides many learning moments. I worry much more aout the children he is around that have NO knowledge about FAs than I am about my son and the fact that he is learning.

If he keeps progressing, there is a CZ Scout in his future but it will be One-of-Dad's as well.

S-

PCRCCW
January 12, 2003, 11:01 AM
Im so much in agreement with this thread...as a single dad of 2 kids and being a CCW permit holder..my kids are very aware and know gun rules and safety....keep it up. Shoot well

Rebel Gunman HK
January 15, 2003, 04:18 PM
Wish somebody would have taken me shooting as a kid. Always been interested in guns. Had to join the frickin army just to get some trigger time....:rolleyes: but im almost over it.

Bartholomew Roberts
January 15, 2003, 04:43 PM
I love the picture of the young girl with the AR15 - you know that pic alone would give some antis a fatal conniption.

Owen
January 15, 2003, 05:12 PM
If you are getting a SG for a youngster, I would stay away from the NEF in 20g. I got one for my 12th birthday, and it nearly turned me off from shooting, due to the abusive recoil. 28g may be ok, but I have no experience with that cartridge.

The gun is just too light.

Ron L
January 15, 2003, 06:13 PM
I take my son shooting with me as often as possible. As he's gotten older and discovered different things (girls :rolleyes: ) it's sometimes the only thing we seem to have in common. But it's the tie that binds. :)

FTG-05
January 15, 2003, 07:31 PM
My son Albin, was shooting a 10-22 at the range, by himself while I worked mowing the range grass, when he was just 6 years old. He just turned 8 an he's now graduated to AR-15's.

This last Xmas, I bought him a Cav Arms AR-15 lower. He'll have to pay some for the upper, right now it has my Armalite carbine upper on it.

Of course, he's had a Rem M-7 in 7mm-08 since he was one year old. I've been "breaking it in" for him until he's old enough to go hunting by himself (another year).

Thanks,

Albin

NavyDoc
January 15, 2003, 08:18 PM
http://images.snapfish.com/33658%3A%3A%3B23232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3233%3E2%3C7%3E87%3A%3Ewsnrcg%3D3232393376923nu0mrj

Admiral Thrawn
January 15, 2003, 09:04 PM
hahaha, those are great pics everyone!

So cute! :D

sixgun_symphony
January 16, 2003, 04:05 AM
m.i.sanders,

For $50 you can get a machine from Lee to make your own 28ga shotshells.

http://leeprecision.com/catalog/graphics/loadal1.jpg
LOAD ALL II (http://leeprecision.com/catalog/browse.cgi?1042707563.3688=loadall.html)

NavyDoc
February 3, 2003, 04:27 PM
btt

If you enjoyed reading about "Start them young!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!