What is a reasonable price for transfer of a firearm through an FFL

PDA

JLStorm
August 31, 2007, 04:34 PM
The prices I am getting in this area (I moved recently) which is near a large city is between $40 - $50 no matter where I ask. That seems a bit high to me, what is a reasonable fee for transferring a gun to me which was purchased through an out of state FFL and will be shipped to a local FFL who will do the transfer.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is a reasonable price for transfer of a firearm through an FFL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jimmie
August 31, 2007, 04:39 PM
I haven't paid more than $20, but maybe your area just has a higher going rate. I've been paying $10 since I found my current dealer.

highlander 5
August 31, 2007, 04:44 PM
40 bucks on average in my neck of the woods

EdLaver
August 31, 2007, 04:49 PM
Between $20-$25 is average, anything higer is a rip off.

DAdams
August 31, 2007, 05:08 PM
20-40 in the Tampa, FL area. I have only done one, but I need to find the $20 folks. I paid 30 on the only one I have done. My LGS gets $40, but I won't use them.

Seems like Bud's has a zip code search for FFL. That's where I saw the $20. There are apparently lots of folks with the license who aren't actively in the business but supplement their income.

I would hunt around.

browningguy
August 31, 2007, 05:10 PM
Most gun shops seem to be in the range of $30-35, pawn shops probably average $20-25 or so. Individuals working from home will often be less. I have seen shops in Houston ask as much as $50, because they really don't want to do it, and I know of one shop who won't do a transfer at all because he says it's not worth the hassle.

nalioth
August 31, 2007, 05:36 PM
My local guy charges $10 per item, and bulk pricing on large transfers.

conan
August 31, 2007, 11:08 PM
15-20$

Muddflap
August 31, 2007, 11:11 PM
Most places are $20.00 or $25.00. I found a pawn shop that will do it for $15.00. They have made $45.00 of me, the others haven't made anything.

2RCO
August 31, 2007, 11:13 PM
$25 is the average round here. I try to buy local when I can so I don't do many transfers.

GRB
August 31, 2007, 11:31 PM
Last time I checked, $50 to $75 on Long Island in NY.

hexidismal
August 31, 2007, 11:41 PM
Typically it's $40 around here. I know a guy that'll do it for $25 for me (normally $30).. but he's far enough away that it's just barely worth the gas and trouble.

carsonbm
September 1, 2007, 12:17 AM
The FFL's are getting greedy.

doubleg
September 1, 2007, 12:33 AM
My local gunshop charges 50$, they also make you buy their ammo at their range. :rolleyes: I need to find a new gunshop...

fogdor
September 1, 2007, 12:36 AM
A shop close by me charges $25, but he quoted me such a good price to order the gun I wanted, I ended up buying directly from him.

Willis
September 1, 2007, 12:56 AM
I sent a rifle in for repair through a gun store where I had never bought a gun $0. I bought a rifle at another gun store $0. I bought a Glock 27 at another gun store $0. I bought a Ruger Alaskan at another gun store $0. I won a 870 in a drawing in a far town and I had it sent to even another gun store where I had never bought anything and even for that $0. I have bought a few more at these same stores since the first time and it has allways been $0. I think I like the prices around here a lot better than where you guys are, but then in Montana buying a gun is not a big deal like it is in some places. I think the longest time it has taken to get the back ground check phone call done was maybe 3 to 4 minutes, so the people charging $50 to $75 have a good thing going.

Willis

Hoppy590
September 1, 2007, 01:06 AM
i wont pay more than 20 or 25. and DONT give them a % of the guns value. il give you a hint shops. i bought it from some where else because you didnt have it or didnt have it at a good price. and the only reason you are even seeing a cent is because big brother says i cant do it myself

TMann
September 1, 2007, 01:07 AM
The closest shop to my home charges $40 for pre-owned, custom, or heirloom guns. However, if the gun is new and could be purchased through the store, they will charge you 10% of the price of the gun. Basically, they don't want you to be using their services to buy guns at cheaper prices elsewhere.

The other local gun shops are only slightly cheaper, as I recall. (~$30-35.)

TMann

Kevin108
September 1, 2007, 01:32 AM
Shop around! This is an FFL Search engine. http://www.auctionarms.com/help/fflnetwork.cfm

PPGMD
September 1, 2007, 01:38 AM
The SOT I use is it's $20 for the transfer plus the usual $5 for the FDLE NICS check for title I items. For Title II it's $50, not sure if they charge for the FDLE, but they likely do.

Of course their hours are a bit meh. Mon-Thur 11am-6pm, and they often takes days off, since retail is a very very small part of their business.

JP from Phoenix
September 1, 2007, 02:12 AM
25 dollars, i know one place that does it for 30. if they charge anymore than they obviously frown apon it and want you to special order guns through them.

gbelleh
September 1, 2007, 09:51 AM
The best I have found around here is $25 (used to be $20 until this year).

JDGray
September 1, 2007, 10:37 AM
I use two, one charges $5, and the other is no charge. The guy who charges $5, is always available, and I use him most.:)

Storm
September 1, 2007, 10:43 AM
Here 25 miles north of Atlanta the going rate is $25.

Autolycus
September 1, 2007, 07:03 PM
I used to have a guy that charged $20 but I left that part of the state. Now I get charged $25 or so. It seems that they can charge whatever they wish as they have the ability to recieve the guns but at what cost.

The ATF inspects their shops at least once a year if I remember correctly. Not to mention all the BS liability insurance they maybe required to have as well as the government invasion in their daily lives.

Average Joe
September 1, 2007, 08:04 PM
Average in PA is $25

brashboy
September 1, 2007, 10:38 PM
I have seen shops in Houston ask as much as $50, because they really don't want to do it, and I know of one shop who won't do a transfer at all because he says it's not worth the hassle.

I don't get the logic of this, when the gun shop gets $40-50 for an FFL transfer. Most shops are on 10-15% markup, it seems, on new guns, and that is as much or more than they would make on, say, a PT111. And - they don't have to tie up cash in the gun. Looks like a win/win. For $20 it might not be worth the hassle, but $40 to 50 looks pretty fat.

Shell Shucker
September 2, 2007, 12:09 AM
I'm amazed that gun shops can stay open on 10-20% mark-up. Ever heard of "over head"? The guy that does a transfer for $20 is doing you a favor and possibly losing his *ss for doing it. Think about it, you bypass the local retailer and then expect him to handle the product and file the paperwork for basically nothing!? I'm glad they do it but don't understand how they can and survive.

brashboy
September 2, 2007, 02:21 AM
www.Gunbroker.com has a search utility for FFL holders, which you can search by zip code. The one in my zip code charges $20, + $5 for the background check.

Samuraigg
September 2, 2007, 02:37 AM
Seems the more anti gun the area you look in, the higher the prices for a transfer. My local shop does a transfer for $45.

gc70
September 2, 2007, 10:28 AM
The guy that does a transfer for $20 is doing you a favor and possibly losing his *ss for doing it. If the guys at several places I use were not doing $20 transfers, they would usually be bored from standing around and talking to gunshop commandos, which does not make any money.

Lone_Gunman
September 2, 2007, 10:52 AM
If it takes 10 minutes to log in and transfer a gun, and the FFL charges you $25, that is an hourly rate of $150/hr. That really isn't too bad.

Ala Dan
September 2, 2007, 10:57 AM
Any where you guys can get transfers done for between $10-25 is a super
bargain, $25-50 is most likely; anything above it simply out rageous~!

FootNote: For many year's we were doing them for $20, then we went
to $25; now, our owners have decided that we need to be at $50. :eek::barf:

kgriggs8@yahoo.com
September 2, 2007, 11:51 AM
I had a guy that only charged $5.00 but he was 45 minuits away. His price went up to $10.00 and I stopped going there. The guy I use now charges $20 but he is just down the road.

I probably used $10.00 in gas and 1.5 hours of my weekend or evening on the cheaper guy so it wasn't really worth it.

I feel for you guys that are getting charged $50+. That is pure greed. It costs them almost nothing to do the transfer. If they charged a reasonable fee, you would use them. Find a kitchen table FFL type guy, they do it cheap.

I'm all for supporting the local FFL but not when he is ripping me off. Treat me fair and I will do the same. Rip me off every chance you get and I will shop somewhere else.

I buy most of my guns from one gunshop. Sometimes I will buy a gun online but not often. If they treat me like I am jerk for wanting them to do a transfer, guess what, I will spend my money elsewhere. You have to be nice, it pays off. Being rude to customers is the best way to go bankrupt.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is a reasonable price for transfer of a firearm through an FFL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!