For H&K P7 owners - isn't holstering it unsafe?

PDA

jlbraun
August 31, 2007, 04:57 PM
Let me explain. Due to the squeeze cock, doesn't that mean that holstering it mean that you now have a cocked and unlocked pistol with a 3lb trigger pull pointing at your body? Does this make any of you uncomfortable?

If you enjoyed reading about "For H&K P7 owners - isn't holstering it unsafe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mavracer
August 31, 2007, 05:02 PM
no the cocking lever is not pressed by holster

buzz_knox
August 31, 2007, 05:03 PM
Not really. Not only should your finger be off the trigger, but reholstering doesn't require a firm firing grip. You can relax the grip enough to release the grip safety and still maintain a grip that will give you full control over the weapon.

jlbraun
August 31, 2007, 05:04 PM
You can relax the grip enough to release the grip safety and still maintain a grip that will give you full control over the weapon.

Ah. See, that I didn't know. How much force is required on the squeeze cock lever to cock the gun?

Jim Watson
August 31, 2007, 05:06 PM
How about the draw?
We are taught to take a firing grip on the gun in the holster, which cocks the P7. I developed kind of a "plucking" motion to avoid that while I had one. Sold it because I never could keep the squeeze cocking motion straight unless I shot it ALL the time... and was unwilling to give up my conventional guns.

GunNut
August 31, 2007, 05:12 PM
IIRC, it takes 14lbs of force to activate the squeeze cocker. My wife never had a problem with the one she had.

buzz_knox
August 31, 2007, 06:14 PM
Sold it because I never could keep the squeeze cocking motion straight unless I shot it ALL the time... and was unwilling to give up my conventional guns.

The P7 is a harsh but rewarding mistress for some. ;) For me, it was mainly harsh. I'm the only guy in the world for whom P7s will malfunction.

N.M. Edmands
August 31, 2007, 06:34 PM
On my 2 P7s it takes 4-5 lbs of force to cock,1 lb or slightly less to maintain.
The p7 is one of the safest pistols because of this. It can be held firmly enough uncocked to use as a club.:D [heavy enough also!] ;)

CWL
August 31, 2007, 07:31 PM
On my 2 P7s it takes 4-5 lbs of force to cock,1 lb or slightly less to maintain.

Nat, that's strange. H&K P7 family of pistols average between 13-14 lbs to engage the squeeze-cocker. Are you sure about 4-5lbs of force?

BlkHawk73
August 31, 2007, 07:53 PM
I've always ben under the assumption that it required roughly 12 lbs of pressure to squeeze the cocking lever and 3-4 to hold it.

Peter M. Eick
August 31, 2007, 09:05 PM
All of mine take a bit over 12 lbs (highest my scale will go) to cock and about 1 lb to hold it cocked. Not sure how the poster above got his down to 4 or 5.

I own a herd of P7 PSP's and found that they are great for carry. The key thing is that you need to clear the holster before you cock and release before you holster. It is no big deal if you practice it. I tend not to cock until I am nearly on target so this is not an issue to me.

All I can say is they are addictive. I have weened myself back to just these 3 P7's. The rest slowly got thinned out.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/eickpm/3p7s.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "For H&K P7 owners - isn't holstering it unsafe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!