N-frame lovers

PDA

craig_o
September 1, 2007, 07:32 PM
well my Dad just bought me a PC 627 .357 totally out of the blue, and I'm beyond thrilled. Not too bad for a first gun, eh?

Believe it or not, I'm gonna CCW it somehow or another, just dunno in what yet :what:

you N-framers out there, whaddya think?

If you enjoyed reading about "N-frame lovers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
vanilla_gorilla
September 1, 2007, 08:59 PM
One can conceal an N frame, but you have to want to. It's not a "throw it in a pocket and forget it" gun. A good holster should be at the top of the list. I'm currently waiting on on IWB for my N frames now. I have, on occasion, simply stuck my 629 or 28 in my waistband for a trip to the mailbox or down the road with the dog, and not had any problems concealing under a T shirt, but I'm 6'2 and nearly 230lbs, so I may not be a good model for some others.

Standing Wolf
September 1, 2007, 09:00 PM
Look at paddle holsters to distribute the weight. N frames tend to become very heavy as the day progresses.

Black Knight
September 1, 2007, 09:12 PM
In the winter a good shoulder holster should also work. I carried a 4" S&W Mod. 28 for a while that way and it worked fine.

Gordon
September 1, 2007, 09:15 PM
No big deal but I bought a 97% 520 NY State Trooper gun with pachys (soon to take a hike!) for $450 (for the pistol I really didn't want to go that high but realized it's desireability) today in a estate package(2 pistols,2 shotguns and a Winchester .22 mag)

Magnum.35744
September 1, 2007, 10:07 PM
Got any pictures ;).

+1 On what vanilla_gorilla said :).

-Tre

Nightcrawler
September 1, 2007, 10:11 PM
I'm carrying a 3" S&W M29 right now. I've packed my 5" 629 classic many times, concealed, beneath a button down, short-sleeved shirt that is one size too big and is left unbuttoned (or I'll do up one button towards the bottom if it's windy).

Good belt is a must. For holsters, I recommend the Kramer strong-side Scabbard. I have one for each of my forty-fours and I love them.

Doesn't matter if the 627PC ends up being your all the time carry gun or not. Every handgun should have a holster; without such, it's little more than a range toy, you know? Besides, becoming a proficient handgunner means practicing draw, drawing from concealment, etc.

BikerRN
September 1, 2007, 10:18 PM
My daily carry in the desert southwest heat is a 4" N-Frame.
I carry concealed and have for over twenty years. What I have learned in that time is that a belt and holster work as a team. When you spend the money to buy a good holster, spend the money to buy a good belt from the same maker.
I'm not a big guy, but I manage to conceal my N-Frame wearing a one size too large Polo Shirt or an unbuttoned "Camp Shirt".

Biker

pinkymingeo
September 2, 2007, 05:46 AM
A Milt Sparks VM2 distributes the weight very nicely, and holds the gun extremely tight to the body. Here's a 325PD in one.

craig_o
September 2, 2007, 11:26 AM
pictures coming later today, Tre. Cleaning her up and going to the range first.

safd
September 2, 2007, 01:37 PM
I just got this bad boy! S&W 25-2. It came with a Desantis IWB, but I think I may try something else.
ben

Archie
September 2, 2007, 02:34 PM
I have an old Roy Baker (genuine) pancake holster for a four inch N frame. With any sort of jacket it holds an N frame very comfortably and securely. I'm sure someone makes something very similar (or unabashedly copied) to the pancake. As mentioned, a good belt is a must. Also as mentioned, one has to really want to carry an N frame.

craig_o
September 2, 2007, 07:25 PM
shot the 627 and MAN what a great gun!!!!!!!

I'm still a novice shooter, but at least I know what I don't know... the shots aren't all going where I'd like them to but it isn't like they're hitting the next lane over's paper either. Suffice to say that the gun is accurate even though I'm not!

Pictures will be up tomorrow. I'm leaning towards Tucker Gunleather for the first holster unless anyone has a compelling argument otherwise.

rbmcmjr
September 2, 2007, 07:41 PM
IWB: The Sparks VM2 works well, but the Alessi Hideout is astonishingly effective. I have one for my 3.5" 27 and it is fantastic.

OWB: Sparks PMK is a great holster. I use one for my 3" 629 whenever I am out in the wilds.

Rick

tasco 74
September 2, 2007, 07:54 PM
i don't carry bit you'd have a h3ll of a time talking me out of my 1968 model 27 6".. i did see a n-frame last fall i thought about getting for carry.. it was a 3" model 624 .44 spl.. i still wish i had gotten it:(..

If you enjoyed reading about "N-frame lovers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!