AR15 touch up kit

PDA

Lovesbeer99
September 2, 2007, 01:05 PM
I removed the Front Sight Base from my AR and it let the barrel bare. How do I touch this up? Is there a kit or touch up process for this?

Thanks
Lovesbeer99

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 touch up kit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DnPRK
September 2, 2007, 05:27 PM
If you are going to install another gas block, it will cover the bare spot on the barrel. Otherwise you could use KG gunkote or Oxpho Blue

Lovesbeer99
September 2, 2007, 09:52 PM
I used another block but it didn't cover all of the bare barrel spots, so I need something to protect the barrel, but I don't want it to look stupid.

Thanks for the response

Lovesbeer99

Zeke Menuar
September 3, 2007, 07:02 PM
Try Rust-Oleum Specialty High Heat Spray http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=112

Looks like parkerizing

Acts like parkerizing

Keeps the rust off, so far.

Clean area real good, heat to 100 or so degrees, spray on two or three light coats. Dries quickly.

I used it on the FSB of my AR. Also use it to do various touch up on other guns.
It's almost impossible to tell it's paint.

I did an Entire No4MkI Enfield with the stuff.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/AIMsmle2.jpg

ZM

Robert Hairless
September 3, 2007, 10:18 PM
Sounds interesting, Zeke. Some questions if you don't mind.

How durable is it? Does it tend to chip or wear?

What kind of preparation (aside from degreasing) does it require?

Will it withstand Gunscrubber and brake cleaner or do they mar the finish?

Lovesbeer99
September 3, 2007, 11:03 PM
Now that you mention paint, I remember using a special high temp engine block paint when I replaced my chevy 305 wit a 350. It held up over the years to gas, oil, break cleaner, engine scrubber etc. I bought it from Summit Racing, but I'm pretty sure they sell something similar at autoparts stores. I may look into this.

Lovesbeer99

Zeke Menuar
September 4, 2007, 01:27 AM
Sounds interesting, Zeke. Some questions if you don't mind.

How durable is it? Does it tend to chip or wear?
Looks and feels like parkerizing. I did it a year ago and it's help up so far. Getting the metal heated over 100 degrees is important in getting the paint to stick.

What kind of preparation (aside from degreasing) does it require?
Degreasing is fine. I completely de-everythinged it with DA.

Will it withstand Gunscrubber and brake cleaner or do they mar the finish?
It stands up to Wipeout and similar products. Can't comment on gunscrubber or brake cleaner.

It is holding up on the AR. And the FSB has gotten a little warm during Zombie elimination drills.

ZM

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 touch up kit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!