rate my shooting

PDA

chrissmallwood
September 2, 2007, 03:05 PM
Hello

I took my Vaquero to the range this morning and Id like to get some people to critique my shooting. I shot 18 rounds in 3 5-shot groups and 1 3-shot group because that was all i had left. I noticed that in each group I had one errant flier. I assumed it was me but when I got home and went to clean it, I noticed that one chamber was leading up worse than the others, so I dont know if that was the cause of the fliers or if it was just me. The holes with green circles are the fliers and the red dot in the center is about in the centerof the paper, I didnt have any actual targets so I just made one out of cardboard. Not counting the fliers, the biggest spread is 5.5 inches. I was shooting magtech's 255 grn LFN at 30 yds. Any advice is appreciated.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/chrissmallwood/target.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "rate my shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Creature
September 2, 2007, 03:13 PM
Assuming you are right handed:

Archie
September 2, 2007, 03:22 PM
At what range was this target fired?

chrissmallwood
September 2, 2007, 03:34 PM
30 yds

MrBorland
September 2, 2007, 03:45 PM
the red dot in the center is about in the centerof the paper, I didnt have any actual targets so I just made one out of cardboard. Not counting the fliers, the biggest spread is 5.5 inches. I was shooting magtech's 255 grn LFN at 30 yds.

Off a rest, or were you shooting offhand? 2 handed?

All things considered, if you were offhand shooting and standing, I'd say if your largest group (excluding "fliers") was 5.5", it's pretty good shooting. An actual bullseye target would probably tighten the groups up some. I'm no expert, but my yardstick for "good shooting" would be 3" (counting all shots) at 25 yards (3.5" at 30yds), standing offhand, 2 handed. Off a rest, assuming your gun is capable of it, I'd say little more than half that.

Archie
September 2, 2007, 03:47 PM
Five and one half inches at 30 yards is reasonable. The black of the 25 yard NRA bullseye target is six inches in diameter (9, 10 and X ring).

Fired one handed, it's pretty good; fired two handed, it's okay. If this is your first time shooting this revolver, you should get better in time of course.

By the way, one chamber that doesn't shoot as good as the others is nothing new or unusual. I've got a couple of revolvers that have one bad - and some one 'better' - chamber.

You may want to check the chamber mouths and measure the diameter of the openings. If the one that leads is tighter, you can have it opened up to match the rest - if it's bigger, you're sort of stuck. Ideally, the chamber mouths should be .0005" to .001" larger (yes, larger) than the bore (groove) diameter.

Good luck with your revolver. Keep watching the front sight.

chrissmallwood
September 2, 2007, 03:49 PM
I was shooting 2 handed holding the gun up in the air but I had my elbows resting on the shooting bench.

chrissmallwood
September 2, 2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks I havent really shot it much and when I did it was usually just at tin cans or other things. This is the first time Ive tried to see how well I could do. I figured it wasnt that good because most threads Ive read say that anything less than 3 inches at 25 yrds is unnacceptable. Glad to know Im not as bad as I thought I was.

Creature
September 2, 2007, 05:17 PM
I figured it wasnt that good because most threads Ive read say that anything less than 3 inches at 25 yrds is unnacceptable.

I think that meant the gun should be capable of 3 inches or better at 25 yards...when shot from a ransom rest.

chrissmallwood
September 2, 2007, 10:02 PM
I bought a dial caliper while I was out and I measured my chamber mouths when I got home. The smallest one was .446" and the largest one was .449":uhoh:.
Who would you recommend to fix this.

W.E.G.
September 2, 2007, 10:16 PM
You cannot conclude, nor should you even infer, that anything is "wrong" with your gun because of this limited testing or because of 0.003" difference in measurement of the mouths of the chambers.

chrissmallwood
September 2, 2007, 10:28 PM
I wasnt saying anything was wrong because of a .003" difference in chambers. I was just stating that all the cylinder mouths are undersized and Id like to have them reamed to a sufficient diameter to help prevent leading and hopefully tighten up my groups. I should have clarified.

Owen
September 2, 2007, 10:35 PM
calipers are a terrible tool for measuring Inside Diameters.

chrissmallwood
September 2, 2007, 10:45 PM
What should I use instead?

Owen
September 2, 2007, 10:53 PM
Generally you want to use gage pins or a bore mic to measure ID's.

Considering that the variation between chamber mouths should be too small to really measure with calipers, and that you are asking the question in the first place (calipers require a bit of a practiced hand) indicates that you probably shouldn't trust your measurements in this case.

I think your gun is probably fine. Considering the sights on a Vaquero, the description of your technique, and the target you were shooting at, I see nothing wrong with the accuracy displayed here.

The single leading chamber is interesting, and maybe worth having a gunsmith having a look at.

W.E.G.
September 2, 2007, 10:56 PM
http://www.mansontool.com/cart/shopexd.asp?id=263

http://www.mansontool.com/cart/productsimages/starrett%20web%20pictures%20569.jpg

chrissmallwood
September 2, 2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Walkalong
September 3, 2007, 12:04 PM
That tool is great, but you can also slug your throats with soft lead bullets and measure them to get real close if you don't want to spend the money. I am a sucker for cool tools though. I have more calipers/mics of various types than I need for sure. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "rate my shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!