Somebody knows about Colt Python

PDA

hall
September 3, 2007, 05:05 PM
Hi. I have a Colt Python with 6 in barrel and i want to change the 8 in barrel and i don't know, therefore i need your help if somebody knows how is the procedure to change it, because i don't want to damage the gun.
i will apreciate any help thanks :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Somebody knows about Colt Python" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DogBonz
September 3, 2007, 05:21 PM
I would not attempt this your self. Personally, I would not alter a Python, but if you want to, I would have the Colt factory preform the operation.

Old Fuff
September 3, 2007, 05:27 PM
Dogbonz is right. Changing a barrel requires special tools, and doing it incorrectly could ruin the frame. In addition over the years Colt changed the thread on the barrel, and the new barrel must have the same thread that matches the frame. Pythons are too valuable to chance mistakes. Call Colt's customer service department.

GUNKWAZY
September 3, 2007, 06:29 PM
It does take special tools to change the Python barrel, but it can be done safely. Not by Joe da gunsmith though. By someone that knows and has the proper frame vice for a Python.
The way to tell if you bought the correct barrel for your gun is with the number of pins holding the front sight in.
As you can see from the picture below, the Python on the left has a single pin holding the front sight on, while the 2nd Python from the left has 2 pins holding the front sight in place. These 2 barrels WILL NOT interchange. they have two different size threads. If you are changing out a 2 pin barrel, you need to replace it with a 2 pin barrel and vice versa.
Good luck and do not try to save money by finding a cheap gunsmith.
Your best bet would be to send it back to Colt.
You can call them tomorrow at 1-800-241-2485.

Good luck, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

http://members.aol.com/toykwazy/brightpythonsx4.jpg

MaterDei
September 3, 2007, 06:36 PM
I'm not a revolver guy but man, those are beautiful guns.

highfive
September 3, 2007, 06:45 PM
those really look awesome

Standing Wolf
September 3, 2007, 11:20 PM
those really look awesome

If you think Pythons look awesome, you should try shooting them.

Black Knight
September 4, 2007, 09:22 AM
I don't know why you would want to change the barrel. The 6" barrel will handle everything the 8 will except what I would consider extreme ranges plus the 6" is easier to carry. My first handgun is a 6" Python that I still have. It was a great uniform carry gun but now I find the 4" more to my liking. One other thing, keeping the original barrel or original length barrel could help in maintaining any collectors value it might have. I understand that Colt kept records on the specifics of each one made. I hear the records kept includes serial number, date of manufacture, and the original configuration (barrel length, finish, grips, any special aspects). If this is your first handgun you have made a fine start.

Jim Watson
September 4, 2007, 09:40 AM
You could probably trade guns cheaper than you could buy a barrel and pay a knowledgeable gunsmith to fit it. The 8" is not as well proportioned or ballanced as the 6" and is not in as great demand... unless the collectors have pushed up the prices while I wasn't looking.

texas bulldog
September 4, 2007, 12:28 PM
you're killing me, gunkwazy...

every time there's a thread about colts, you gotta come along and post the whole collection, either diamondbacks or pythons.

look, you've won. we ARE officially jealous.

:)

Jenrick
September 4, 2007, 01:58 PM
Gunkwazy, what are those grips? Those are verrrrry nice looking, and I'm curious.

-Jenrick

GUNKWAZY
September 4, 2007, 02:53 PM
The grips/stocks on the 3 Pythons to your left are all the same you would find on the Python Elite. They are still available through Colt.
the set on the 8 incher are a factory set that is very similar to the Double Diamond set.
They are kind of unusual as there was not many Pythons issued with smooth factory wood stocks/grips.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

22-rimfire
September 4, 2007, 04:04 PM
I have a Nickel 22 Diamondback with those smooth stocks on it. Believe it was a bank gun. Unfortunately, I sold the 6" Nickel Python that came with it in the same wood box. Not one of my smarter moves that I have come to realize as the years pass by and prices on Pythons go up and up. The Diamondback is no slouch either.

GUNKWAZY
September 4, 2007, 05:36 PM
FYI: At current pricing the Nickel Python would be cheaper to replace.
The .22 Nickel D-backs are really get up there in price.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Cosmoline
September 4, 2007, 05:44 PM
every time there's a thread about colts, you gotta come along and post the whole collection, either diamondbacks or pythons.

look, you've won. we ARE officially jealous.

Exactly. I'm going to sue for intentional infliction of shiny Colt

If you enjoyed reading about "Somebody knows about Colt Python" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!