EU: no more guns for minors?

PDA

igor
September 4, 2007, 05:34 AM
Aamulehti, a Finnish newspaper, reports today (rough translation by yrs trly):

"The EU parliament may heighten the age limit for gun licences to 18 years. According to Aamulehti, the EU parliament is to consider a proposal, according to which minors would no longer be eligible to own firearms. In Finland, the limit is 15 years.

According to the proposal, a minor could shoot under licenced adult supervision, but only on an approved shooting range.

"The change would in practice put an end to minors' hunting and make difficulties to sports shooting as well", says interior ministry firearms chief official Jouni Laiho to Aamulehti.

According to him, Finland is negotiating to maintain the current age limit. The chances are slim, though, since the only countries apart from Finland to oppose the proposal are Netherlands, Lithuania, Poland and Switzerland. "

***? Exactly as seen in the thread about junior shooters in Australia, shooting and hunting are exceptionally good things for a teen to be doing. I'm starting to be fed up with this EU micro-management: it really is no business of the union to dabble with these kinds of things at all. The EU consists of such a wide variation of cultures, such Soviet standards just won't fit. :cuss::banghead:

BTW, last time I checked, Switzerland wasn't part of the EU, and won't be either... :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "EU: no more guns for minors?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ForeignDude
September 4, 2007, 10:46 AM
...but you are about 12 years too late. The entire point of the EU "Project" is to do away with your right to rule yourselves. In due time, all important decisions for your people will be made in Brussels, not Helsinki. This EU proposal is naught but a taste of things to come. Welcome to the Brave New World!

As an expat living in Germany, I can tell you that the sheer audacity with which the EU Project has been foisted on the people of Europe boggles the mind. It makes Lenin look like an amateur. If I were you, I'd emigrate. You may try Switzerland, but it, too will inevitably be engulfed.

Read the following book, if you want more on the issue: "The Great Deception: A Secret History of the European Union (http://www.amazon.com/Great-Deception-Secret-History-European/dp/0826471056/ref=sr_1_1/103-3198799-2532665?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188911986&sr=8-1)".

GunTech
September 4, 2007, 11:05 AM
If you want to kill the shooting sports, you need to get them 'while they're young'.

Dain Bramage
September 4, 2007, 01:38 PM
Sending kids off to hunt and shoot is dangerous. We'd rather have yobs roaming city streets with nothing to do.

MD_Willington
September 4, 2007, 01:54 PM
Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted.

on the flip side...

One man with a gun can control 100 without one.

Dissuade them when they are young, and you will have complete control over them later.

RLsnow
September 4, 2007, 02:03 PM
*is suddenly very glad Norway is not a member of the EU and that the majority in the last two votes have been on the NO side*

i feel sorry for you man, it really is ridiculous not to allow kids(teens) to learn how to properly use firearms as well as hunting (which i would regard as a very valuable thing to know.)

sure you can learn after you hit 18, but the chances of you being willing to use your time and effort for such a thing at that age is small...

:(

BAT1
September 4, 2007, 02:12 PM
That's sad. They deserve better. If you take your kids hunting, you never have to hunt for your kids is the old American way, and that too is on the decline. EU and SPP = UN control = bad news for gun owners. Americans are out filling up the gun stores looking and buying we get the picture!

igor
September 4, 2007, 05:29 PM
Not my parade, trust me!:uhoh::D

This will be a test on how the subsidiarity principle will work in the future. The union is indeed stretching its jurisdiction and, as we say here, climbing the tree ar5e first. I am deeply concerned. :scrutiny:

jefnvk
September 4, 2007, 06:17 PM
Tis what happens, when you vote away your independence...

Irwin
September 4, 2007, 08:40 PM
Does this spread to Britain as well? It probably will, E U are allways coming up with stupid laws like the one wear i have to get a licence to wear a sporran http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6234290.stm , cant wait till Britain is free of the EU. Irwin

elrod
September 4, 2007, 08:53 PM
Let US learn.....:scrutiny:

damien
September 5, 2007, 06:27 PM
What does it take for a country to leave the EU? There is no formal way for a state to leave the U.S.A. I wonder if European countries have the same problem or if they can just rescind the treaty that was used to join the E.U. in order to leave. If that is the case, I would start the process to rescind that treaty.

joffe
September 5, 2007, 06:32 PM
RLsnow, that has never helped us. We are more eager than all member states when it comes to adopting new EU regulation. And when we don't, it's because we have come up with some even more oppressive regulation ourselves.

If you enjoyed reading about "EU: no more guns for minors?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!