Bullet Diameter vs accuracy

PDA

Action_Can_Do
September 4, 2007, 08:03 AM
Hello everyone. I couldn't think of which venue this question would be most appropriate under, so I chose the most generic one. I've been longing for a brand new blackhawk for some time, but the money just wasn't there. Now I'm starting a new job and a blackhawk is calling to me again. I saw one in particular that really grabbed my attention. It was a blued 45acp/45colt convertible. The gun really looks pretty, but I have no idea how it shoots. Since my reloading manual states a 45acp jacketed bullet has a .451 diameter and a cast 45 colt bullet has a .454 diameter, I figure there is definitely going to be a loss of accuracy with the 45acp. What I want to know is just how much of a loss will there be? The most shooting I'll do with it will be with 45acp rounds due to the cost. Can anybody help me?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet Diameter vs accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JoeHatley
September 4, 2007, 11:06 AM
Since my reloading manual states a 45acp jacketed bullet has a .451 diameter and a cast 45 colt bullet has a .454 diameter

Since WWII the .45 Colt has been "standardized" at .451, same as the .45 ACP.

I have a Blackhawk .45 convertible and it's quite accurate in both calibers. Very fun gun...

Joe

DWARREN123
September 4, 2007, 11:32 AM
Cast will usually be larger in diameter than jacketed for all calibers. My 32 H&R mag uses .312 jacketed and .314 lead bullets.

ranger335v
September 4, 2007, 11:48 AM
I have a BH .357 and love it. I also have a .44 Smith 29 and a 1911/.45, love them too. Each has a place in my hand but most of my shooting is with the .357.

The combo sounds nice but it rarely works out that way. I once had a buddy who had exactly what you are considering and he liked it BUT the ACP cylinder was abandoned, it soon sat all alone in his box of surplus gear.

IF I - or he - were to consider getting a new BH it would be in .44 or .357, never mind the extra cylinders. You WILL develop a taste for the bigger round and will seldom, if ever, play with the smaller.

Action_Can_Do
September 5, 2007, 03:29 AM
I guess it isn't as big a deal as I thought. Thank you for the replies.

Joe Gunns
September 5, 2007, 04:50 PM
Both are accurate. I love 'em! I had a 45/45 acp blackhawk in the '70's and '80's, have the same combo in a stainless Vaquero. Both guns were/are accurate with either cylinder at social distances. 50 feet or less. I have never shot long range with 'em so can't say about that. I also SA have rugers in .45 colt only. I am seeking a New Vaquero .45/.45acp. If I could only keep just one SA revolver, it would be a combo. If you are inclined to carry a SA for personal defense or as a bed side gun, the .45acp cylinder opens up a nice selection of commercial ammo loaded with defense-oriented bullets, which are generally not available in the commercial "long" colt ammo.
James

W.E.G.
September 5, 2007, 05:02 PM
The big bullets seem to have more issue with elevation than windage.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/bb-61-dnsn8709176_jpg.gif

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet Diameter vs accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!