Fly Navy 1, Bat 0

PDA

Fly Navy
July 6, 2003, 11:17 PM
So I just killed my first animal ever (yep, never been hunting). Found a bat in my bedroom and couldn't figure out a way to get him out. So I grabbed my BB gun and nailed him right in the abdomen. Squeeled a little and fell onto a towel. I thought he was dead until I saw him move. That's when I actually felt bad for the little fella, so I popped him in the head with a pellet. Luckily he died instantly after that. He's now wrapped in a towel buried in my dumpster.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fly Navy 1, Bat 0" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
winstonsmith
July 6, 2003, 11:29 PM
When I entered this thread, I thought it was gonna be a story about a bat flying into an f-14's engines or some other entertaining tale of foreign object damage.

Good call on sending him to bat heaven after he was injured.

Fly Navy
July 6, 2003, 11:42 PM
Nope, no flying for me yet. I report to flight school on July 25th. I can't wait!

Pilgrim
July 6, 2003, 11:50 PM
What is your commissioning source?

Fly Navy
July 6, 2003, 11:56 PM
College of the Holy Cross NROTC Unit, graduated from Worcester Polytechnic Institute with a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering. I delayed my reporting date to July for personal reasons. I would have reported a month ago if I didn't.

JDSlack
July 6, 2003, 11:58 PM
Good work, it was probably a chicom spy bat sent to spy on future naval aviators. Good luck in flight school.

4v50 Gary
July 7, 2003, 12:00 AM
Waste of a good towel. :p

Fly Navy
July 7, 2003, 12:08 AM
HAHHA Chicom bat spy, that's awesome!!!

Thanks for the goodluck! And the towel was gross anyway :)

Mal H
July 7, 2003, 12:10 AM
Congratulations and best of luck in flight school. :)

You realize, of course, that you now have to tell your classmates that you shot down your first bat (http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/mig25/) even before you got to school.

(Gary - I had exactly the same thought. ;) )

Pilgrim
July 7, 2003, 12:15 AM
UCLA NROTC, class of 1969.

Pilgrim

Fly Navy
July 7, 2003, 12:18 AM
You guys are friggin a riot LOL

And Pilgrim, it's a pleasure to meet you (again), sir :D

Sisco
July 7, 2003, 12:20 AM
You could've just jammed his radar then taken him prisioner.
VE HALF VAYS OF MAKINK HIM TALK!
:evil:

Fly Navy
July 7, 2003, 12:24 AM
Tie him up, get a battery and some alligator clips, and tell him I know he's a spy and I want to know WHO sent him! :evil:

tex_n_cal
July 7, 2003, 01:05 AM
ya know, if you embelish this story a little, like:

"...he was fluttering around the house erratically, like bats do, but I just sorta went into a zone, tracked him & nailed him on the first try..."

...people will be more likely to believe you are qualified to shoot down bad guys' airplanes:evil:

Fly Navy
July 7, 2003, 01:09 AM
Hahha, that's the thing, I'm not qualified to yet, but in time my friend, in time :D

Fly Navy
July 7, 2003, 03:11 AM
Ok, something wierd. I just went outside to the dumpster to throw a bag away...and the bat wasn't there in the towel. Either a predator got it (towel wasn't really disturbed), or I only stunned/wounded it. I really hope it was only stunned, cause I'd feel like a real ********* if it was just wounded. :(

Azrael256
July 7, 2003, 04:09 AM
You could be in serious trouble here. If you just stunned him, he may come back for revenge, and, knowing nothing about bats, I would like to wildly guess that they're extremely intelligent and dangerous animals that hold a grudge for a long time.

Dionysusigma
July 7, 2003, 07:29 AM
I'd like to see a bat carry :D

Mark Tyson
July 7, 2003, 07:56 AM
Splash one bat!

Now we know what your "Hollywood" call sign will be . . .

El Rojo
July 7, 2003, 11:50 AM
Go Bruins!

bogie
July 7, 2003, 11:54 AM
It's an undead bat!

Fly Navy
July 7, 2003, 05:40 PM
Hahha you guys are too funny

shermacman
July 7, 2003, 06:02 PM
Dude, seriously you have got problems. Undead bats are known through out history. You can't kill them with pellets! That is what wood stakes are for. You better have one tonight when you go to bed, cuz that is when he will come back. But you had better be wide awake, garlic and cross in your left hand (that is important!) Wood stake in your right. God bless you, good luck and you need to post here tomorrow, if you don't, we will know what happened.
You have done your will and stuff, right?

TallPine
July 7, 2003, 06:13 PM
You should have tried to reason with the bat instead of resorting to violence. Try to understand the situation from the bat's point of view. Maybe he had an unhappy childhood, or perhaps he was socially disadvantaged. I'm sure the bat had a good reason for breaking into your house.

:D

Fly Navy
July 7, 2003, 09:24 PM
LMAO

HeavyHaul
July 7, 2003, 09:34 PM
Fly Navy, welcome aboard the Navy. Who got the honor of giving you your first salute?
Oh, FWIW, birdshot from a .22 works pretty good on bats.

Bill
EO2, USNR

Scarface
July 7, 2003, 09:38 PM
Dear Fly Navy,

I got my wings in P'Cola in 1969. I envy you for having everything in front of you.

Remember, the hot end's in the back and the pointy end's up front.

God Bless

Scarface

Fly Navy
July 7, 2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys, it's so great to see a good representation of fellow Navy here. My first salute was given to the SKC at our NROTC unit, he's a real great guy, we all love him.

BB93YJ
July 7, 2003, 10:42 PM
The two most useless things to a Naval Aviator, the altitude above you, and the runway behind you, or, on the CV's, the wires behind you...

T. M. Mistrot
AW2
Helantisubron 8
USS Kitty Hawk, CV63
1972-1976

RandyB
July 8, 2003, 09:57 AM
Ok trying to figure out how to post this and not sound like an A-hole. 1st off I am an avid outdoor nut, I hunt, fish, etc. and enjoy killing and eating critters. I also lived on a farm and had to at times remove various vermin that were killing chickens, etc. But bats? I have a soft spot for them (I'm a caver) and have handled many bats over the years. Just put on some leather gloves and "toss 'em" outside. An average bat eats 2,000-3,000 bugs a night (about 1/2 their body weight) and I hate mosquitoes! Just food for thought, not a condemation. What happened, happened and I do not know the situation you were in so I hope this doesn't sound like a flame. I am hoping to just provide a different opinion.

telomerase
July 8, 2003, 10:03 AM
In a study on Ohio little brown bats, about half were found to carry rabies. (We had them in our farmhouse all the time; once I heard one crawling in my boot, folded the top of the boot over, took it outside and dumped it. It snarled before it left; cute little rabid animal.)

They do eat insects... of course they prefer the bigger ones that eat mosquitoes. If you want to eliminate mosquitoes you should raise ichneumon flies (or those Indian mosquitoes whose larva live on other mosquitoes).

I guess to make this gun -related I should advocate the use of 12 gauge #9 shot or something, but I don't think I will....

TallPine
July 8, 2003, 10:13 AM
Just when you think a thread could not go any further astray .... :)

shermacman
July 8, 2003, 10:55 AM
This thread is perfectly on track! We have advocated the use of various firearms and anti-vampire weapons. We have discussed the benefits/hazards of protecting ourselves and our homes from invaders and the un-dead. We have debated the risk/rewards of hunting an animal that can be both a threat and a blessing. Maybe we need to comment more on how ugly Glocks are...:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Fly Navy 1, Bat 0" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!