Man survives shotgun blast to the head!

PDA

Navy_Guns
September 4, 2007, 02:42 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bc1_1188927831

Makes me appreciate my neighbors!

If you enjoyed reading about "Man survives shotgun blast to the head!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ihopewewin
September 4, 2007, 03:23 PM
If the guys in the truck kept shooting and killing his dogs is he allowed to shoot at them? Kind of interesting because they're destroying his property but does that mean he can use deadly force?

hso
September 4, 2007, 03:26 PM
Not in any state I can think of.

Vonderek
September 4, 2007, 03:32 PM
Must viewing for all those who advocate keeping birdshot in their HD shotgun.

Bazooka Joe71
September 4, 2007, 03:33 PM
Wow, thats insane. He has definately seen better days!:what:

At least he is expected to make a full recovery...Did it say whether or not these two scumbags were caught, or did they flee?

Not in any state I can think of.

So if someone was blasting my dogs, I could not defend them?

Evil Monkey
September 4, 2007, 03:35 PM
WHy did he fire a warning shot?!?! He should've immediately returned fire at the low life who shot his dog.

ihopewewin
September 4, 2007, 03:40 PM
"WHy did he fire a warning shot?!?! He should've immediately returned fire at the low life who shot his dog." I wouldn't do that because when you guys made it to court he would say your dog charged him and he defended himself. Then you just look like a guy who shot him because you were angry because he defended himself agaisnt your dog. But as I said before what if he kept shooting your dogs so it was an obvious case of non self defense.

LaEscopeta
September 4, 2007, 03:42 PM
So if someone was blasting my dogs, I could not defend them?I believe you can legally defend you dogs the same way you can defend any other property you own (i.e. your TV, car, etc.) In at least 49 States and maybe all 50 that means you can not use deadly force unless your life or the life of another person (not dog) is threatened. (Subject additional legal considerations the search function can find.)

Not in any state I can think of.Did I read someplace here on THR you CAN use deadly force to protect your property in Texas? I don’t know, the old memory is not what it used to be. Also the old memory is not what it used to be.

FerFAL
September 4, 2007, 04:01 PM
I believe you can legally defend you dogs the same way you can defend any other property you own (i.e. your TV, car, etc.)

mmm... not sure about that. Your TV or car wont go attacking people. Many fools that have their big dogs bothering people should be thrown to jail for a few days.

FerFAL

FerFAL
September 4, 2007, 04:18 PM
"Must viewing for all those who advocate keeping birdshot in their HD shotgun."
Well, it DID work. Stopped him pretty good, he had a gun in his hand and wasn't able to shoot back.:evil:

FerFAL

yesit'sloaded
September 4, 2007, 05:36 PM
Two ways to view this I guess:

viewpoint #1

This crazy dog that has been running loose for the past few weeks ran at me and I shot it, and then his owner ran and me and fired a pistol so I shot him in self defense.

viewpoint #2

Crazy guys in a truck started shooting my dog so I pulled my pistol to defend myself and my property and fired a warning shot (always a mistake) and they shot me in the face.

We were not there so we honestly don't know how it went down.

glockman19
September 4, 2007, 05:42 PM
WOW!!

I hope the Father & Son are in jail for Assult with a deadly weapon.

brerrabbit
September 4, 2007, 05:45 PM
Just on a legal standpoint, the man had already called 911 and was only responded to gunshots fired at his dog. He is likely in the clear, and probably would have been if he shot the guy with the shotgun.

A better solution would have been to stay inside till a deputy showed up.

silverlance
September 4, 2007, 05:49 PM
if strange guys showed up at my house i would not be letting my dog run out to "defend my property".

case of three idiots, imho.

MrPeter
September 4, 2007, 07:10 PM
ERROR: Video File Not Found!

:(

Jeff F
September 4, 2007, 09:38 PM
That link did not work for me so I could not read the story. All I can say is if it was my dogs on my property and somebody was shooting them, well they will catch some hot lead.

eyebrows
September 4, 2007, 10:10 PM
Refresh the liveleak page untill the video works

The owners mistake was the warning shot. Since he could identify these guys he should have pulled back inside and waited for the cops to arrive.
Warning shots are for unarmed or lesser armed opponents, not evenly matched ones.

GigaBuist
September 4, 2007, 10:29 PM
Let me get this straight: The men in the pickup visited the area, complained about the dogs, left, and then returned with the son sitting in the back of the pickup truck with a shotgun.

Call me crazy, but if folks that I've just had angry words with return to my property armed with a shotgun "warning shot" is going to be about as far from my plan of action as inviting them in for tea and crumpets.

insidious_calm
September 4, 2007, 10:59 PM
Warning shots are for unarmed or lesser armed opponents, not evenly matched ones.

Never, EVER, fire a warning shot. Seriously, from a legal standpoint it is quite possibly the worst thing you could possibly do. A "warning shot" by it's very nature is an admission that you didn't think lethal force is justified, yet, by it's very nature you used lethal force to do it. Don't do it. If deadly force is justified then use it to stop threat not scare it.

I.C.

CannibalCrowley
September 4, 2007, 11:11 PM
All I can say is if it was my dogs on my property and somebody was shooting them, well they will catch some hot lead.

A - The reason the situation occurred in the first place was because the dog owner has been letting his dogs run loose off his property.

B - Unless prison sounds appetizing, I suggest you change your planned reaction to such an occurrence.

Geronimo45
September 4, 2007, 11:19 PM
Did I read someplace here on THR you CAN use deadly force to protect your property in Texas?
Yes. Pretty clearly written law, too. You could, in theory, shoot a guy in the back for stealing a package of doublemint gum, though it's not encouraged.

According to the video, there've been troubles with that family and this guy's dogs for a while. I've been party to those disagreements before. Dogs messing on the back porch and such - not appreciated. Owners not doing a thing about keeping the critters penned up - also not appreciated. Of course, we opted to build a fence rather than trying some kind of St. Valentine's Day Massacre of the canine variety.

I guess one of the very pertinent questions here would be whose property the critters were on.

Probably some liquor involved... maybe on both sides.

loose cannon
September 4, 2007, 11:22 PM
if i had angry words with people and they come to my property brandishing shotguns i will engage them from cover to the best of my ability.

then its 911;i had to shoot somepeople who were trying to kill me.plese send a ambulance and the sheriffs dept.

then id remain behind cover until the leos showed up and set my weapon down and back off with my hands up open palmed.

Lucky
September 5, 2007, 02:04 AM
Looking just at the guns, that's got to be at the least a #5 shot or so, right? And distance (with that spread) has to be more than 25m with cylinder bore, more with any choke at all. Anyone have better estimates?

Even still he was knocked out of the fight. Others have said that at close range the pellets still in the cup will behave similarly to a slug, as well. I'm not advocating birdshot for SD, but I do disagree with the assertion of its ineffectiveness, in this situation.

I feel sympathy and admire the guy for being alive still, and he sounds rational enough. I don't like how flies buzz around his wounds though... Buy some cosco sized bandaid packs and cover those things up buddy.

ServiceSoon
September 5, 2007, 06:58 AM
if i had angry words with people and they come to my property brandishing shotguns i will engage them from cover to the best of my ability.

Ya, but your a loose cannon. :p

Navy_Guns
September 5, 2007, 07:37 AM
Granted, we only get to hear the 'victim' in this story. I can imagine it going another way - Guy's dog(s) have been over at their house making a mess, growling or barking at people, maybe even destroyed some property? Been happening for a while and the 'victim' responds to attempts to reason it out with a "F-you I'm not going to do anything and if you come over here again I'm a-gonna kill you" attitude? Well, then stepping up and shooting the dog may not be that crazy... Going over to the guys house to do it certainly is! And that "warning shot" may have just been a miss, and then the gloves come off. Stupid, stupid, and more stupid. In my state the right to use deadly force isn't assumed when the defender instigates the conflict. I'm not saying the shooters are in the right, just that we haven't heard their version of the story.

brerrabbit
September 5, 2007, 08:35 AM
We definately have not heard all of the story. But it was the height of stupidity to go to another man's home to shoot his dog.

They are already on the legal defensive side even if nothing else happened but a dead dog. Now that a man was shot in the head, they have attempted murder while committing a possible felony. This case could be a DA's dream case for ease of prosecution.

FerFAL
September 5, 2007, 12:09 PM
By his own words, he’s been having problems about his dogs running loose “ for years”. The camera shows large dogs, looks like a rotty. And according to his own words, the dog ran to the road where the kid shot it. That’s not shooting a dog in someone’s property, that’s shooting it in the public street. If I have such an idiot of a neighbor his dogs would have been dead long ago, I wouldn’t let big dogs run wild on the streets where my kids play.
The shooting him in the face part may seem excessive, but lets keep in mind he shot first…maybe that “warning” shot passed 2” away from the kid’s head too.
The way I see it, dog attacks you on the street, you defend yourself, weirdo tries to kill you over the dog he allowed to run wild in the first place, you shoot back in self defense.
Anyway, a nice cup of antifreeze in the sidewalk would have worked much better, spare everyone a lot of trouble. :D

FerFAL

FerFAL
September 5, 2007, 12:11 PM
They are already on the legal defensive side even if nothing else happened but a dead dog. Now that a man was shot in the head, they have attempted murder while committing a possible felony. This case could be a DA's dream case for ease of prosecution.
Keep in mind that, human vs. human, the dog owner shot first.

FerFAL

brerrabbit
September 5, 2007, 01:29 PM
As per the story, the man with the shotgun fired first at the dog in the presence of the owner. The dog owner could resonably assume his life was in danger,especially since he had called the right before the incident, so he has a case for self defense that will stand up to scrutiny.

The other two initiated the confrontation with threats of violence and actual violent acts so they likely do not.

In a situation like this, the DA will want to see someone go to jail for a while. The two men with the truck and shotgun are the likely ones to go to jail on quite a few lesser charges that carry jail time even if they do get an attempted murder conviction.

brerrabbit
September 5, 2007, 01:41 PM
http://www.wrdw.com/crimeteam12/headlines/9117086.html

link to story.

Definately a lot more to the story.

Bazooka Joe71
September 5, 2007, 01:43 PM
Anyway, a nice cup of antifreeze in the sidewalk would have worked much better, spare everyone a lot of trouble

Amen to that...Thats gotten rid of animals getting into my trash on more than one occasion...and it doesn't leave a mess because they scurry back home before it kicks in.

Man thats cruel.

All three of these guys are obviously idiots and everyone was in the wrong. The alien looking guy with the holes in his head should not be letting his massive dogs run around the streets unsupervised, but there is no reason those two men should have gone home, got a shotgun, and then come back.

Everything would've just sorted itself out of all three of them got shot in the crotch.:)

Navy_Guns
September 5, 2007, 03:29 PM
:scrutiny:
Antifreeze causes kidney damage in dogs which leads to death by renal failure. Having to put down my 4 year-old dog Bear last year to end his suffering from congenital renal failure was a very bad experience. I don't care how big a jerk a dogs owner is, or what a pain the dog has become - they just don't deserve to suffer like that. Please don't suggest people poison dogs with antifreeze. Dead is dead and accute lead poisoning is (usually) much quicker. :(

PackerfanXD
September 5, 2007, 03:35 PM
I'd shoot anyone that killed my dog in that fashion-no question about it.

brerrabbit
September 5, 2007, 03:46 PM
Maybe if you only had one dog, this guy had fifty dogs that he let run loose.

Justin
September 5, 2007, 03:51 PM
So we're now to the point of discussing how to kill an animal with anti-freeze?

That's just swell.

If you enjoyed reading about "Man survives shotgun blast to the head!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!