input on taking minor shooting

PDA

Im283
September 4, 2007, 02:45 PM
There are a group of us who get together periodically to shoot. The shoot is in a couple of weeks. This time around it is about 90 minutes distance away. There is a member of our group who is 15 but who will need a ride to this upcoming event as his mother (who normally comes) cannot make it.

Anyone see any problems with me taking him along. He is bringing his own weapons and of course I will have some of mine, not that whose guns are whose really has anything to do with it.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "input on taking minor shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nickotym
September 4, 2007, 03:15 PM
If you are worried, have his mother sign a statement that he is allowed to be with you and shoot under your supervision. Have her date it and state when it is effective ( from 9-1-07 to 9-8-07 for example.)

DoubleTapDrew
September 4, 2007, 03:16 PM
I can't think of any reason why not unless he smells bad or something :)
Nothing illegal about that and it's a nice thing to do.

pax
September 4, 2007, 03:22 PM
Get a signed permission slip from his mom, and also a note that says you can take him to the doctor if he falls out of the car and breaks his leg.

Have fun!

pax

Gustav
September 4, 2007, 03:32 PM
As long as all safety rules are followed and you have parental permission preferably in writing I would see nothing wrong with taking a kid shooting.
I would be very observant of any kid or adult for that matter to make sure all safety rules are at all times followed especially if he or she has had little experience or range time.
Many kids are safer handling firearms than some adults who should but don't know better.
Best of luck.;)

SMLE
September 4, 2007, 06:54 PM
If you really want to practise "CYA-WBH" get a NOTARIZED statement from Mom that you are his guardian for the duration of the trip AND that you have authorization to allow medical treatment, G-d forbid, there is a problem/accident/illness. As an EMT, we sometimes have to delay treatment/transport waiting for a parent. (If it is a life threat, we assume "implied" consent and roll).

Other than that, good for you. Taking the lad shooting with other grownups without Mom along will be a nice boost for his morale and a grand opportunity for him to show some maturity. If he is already safe enough a shooter that you are willing to take him along, he's off to a good start.

littlegator
September 4, 2007, 07:04 PM
Is he going to embarrass you on the range with tighter groups? Leave him home if so. Just kidding. Make sure he knows the 4 rules though.

Starter52
September 4, 2007, 07:36 PM
Let him bring his iPod for the 90 minute car ride. DON'T let him bring his cell phone. :D :D :D

If you enjoyed reading about "input on taking minor shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!