Butcher's wax?

PDA

ed dixon
January 9, 2003, 01:37 AM
Anybody use this for long-term storage or severe-weather hunting? Outside of barrel, receiver, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Butcher's wax?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ledbetter
January 9, 2003, 01:27 PM
Not butchers' wax. Johnson's Paste wax, though.

What's butchers' wax?

2nd Amendment
January 9, 2003, 02:07 PM
Johnsons paste? You mean the floor stuff, right? My God, my first wife waxed our '72 Camaro with that stuff once. It'll definitely inhibit rust...and scratches and rock chips and other wax and sitting on the hood...

Course, it took her 4 days to actually rub it out to find any of the rest out. :D

sm
January 9, 2003, 02:38 PM
Only thing that comes to mind is Beeswax . Don't know if they still do, but butcher's used to lubricate saw blades before sawing ,frozen,meat and such . I recall it being referred to as "butcher's wax".
Its the honey colored hard stuff one sees in a sewing/fabric shop, lubes needles.
I've used it to lube itty bitty twist drills and burs.
Sno-Seal (tm) is another form used on leather boots.
Johnson Paste Wax
may be old school, but has been used for a long time for guns, including wood stocks.

Ledbetter
January 9, 2003, 03:20 PM
I actually just waxed my car with it. (Just had it painted). Waxed the front half one day and the back half the next. Hella work but man what shine and protection. And no abrasives to dull your new paint.

I wouldn't use beeswax on guns because of the possibility of it containing or trapping moisture, but I hadn't read the post below either. Johnson's is petroleum based and I presume it will displace any moisture on the metal when applied.

Note that you can put on as thick a coat of Johnson's as you want and you don't have to buff it to a perfect gloss for protection.

Dave P
January 9, 2003, 04:45 PM
Butcher Wax (http://home.attbi.com/~bberickson/wax.html)

I use this stuff a lot for the wood on my rifles. Nice shine, with a fairly non-slip surface. I have also used it for rust protection on knives - I think it worked OK.

Ed Brunner
January 9, 2003, 05:01 PM
I use Johnsons paste wax on stocks mostly. I have waxed an entire rifle used in foul weather and had good results.
Here is another excellent wax: Reaissance Wax.
http://www.knifeart.com/renwax65.html

PATH
January 9, 2003, 05:20 PM
So you can use Johnson't Paste Wax on your cars as well as your guns?:confused:

ed dixon
January 9, 2003, 07:12 PM
My only hands-on experience with BW is when I got a shotgun back after having it reblued. The smith told me he'd coated it in the stuff, and I figured it was something a lot of people might use but that I'd never heard of. I quess maybe this is a deeper trade secret than I thought.

sm
January 9, 2003, 07:57 PM
Is the Butcher's Wax similar to Johnson' paste wax?

From the link it reads as if they share the same uses. Maybe a regional familiarity?? Never seen BW here, grew up with Johnson's.

Standing Wolf
January 9, 2003, 09:58 PM
I use Johnson's paste wax on furniture with good results, but didn't know it could be used on metal. Hmmmmmmm...!

Robby from Long Island
January 10, 2003, 12:06 AM
I used Butchers Wax on the stock of my first rifle, a Remington Varmint Special. The only real problem I encountered was when it got into the checkering it was very difficult to remove and as a result actually clogged up the checkering to some extent with dry wax.

I then started using a product called "Scotts Liquid Gold". It kept my wood stocked guns looking brand new as well as the metal parts and I have never used anything since. It works on oil finishes as well as urethane.

Safe shooting.

Ledbetter
January 10, 2003, 03:46 PM
You can wax your car with Johnson's, but I wouldn't try it all in one day. After it sets up you REALLY have to buff the wax, not just rub off the residue.

I think the deal is it doesn't get shiny until the friction from the buffing heats the wax enough to leave a shiny surface.

It's floor wax, so should last a long time on a car. Widely recommended for use on guns or any wood or metal surface that needs protection.

4v50 Gary
January 10, 2003, 04:00 PM
Pure beeswax (without the chemical or petroleum additives) is one of the best products you can use.

PATH
January 11, 2003, 12:01 AM
I use the beeswax on my boots but I am gonna give the Johnson's wax a try on my car.

sm
January 12, 2003, 09:02 AM
Expand on this wax a bit if you will please.

Reason I ask is that I used a pure beeswax for lubrication of fine drills, burs, gravers, etc. Specially designed for a particular industry, some on eremind you of dental tools.

Due to friction , heat would allow to liquify naturally. I have been known to lightly heat by flaming torch and use this way also.

Protected the metal and increased life of tool. I also used on wooden handles of and tools, protected wood, easier on hand. Note: not slick or tacky affecting grip more user friendly and protected wood.

I like using beeswax, used since a wee lad, some of these tools expensive...still have alot of service life left.

Though not in that business anymore , still have the tools. Actually mine are old, but far better than new ones made today.

If you enjoyed reading about "Butcher's wax?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!