Lost key to my trigger lock...ughh

PDA

DiggityBiggity
September 5, 2007, 03:47 PM
Will a locksmith do this for me? Anyone ever experienced this? OR am I a total dipship...

If you enjoyed reading about "Lost key to my trigger lock...ughh" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brad Johnson
September 5, 2007, 03:48 PM
What brand?

Each lock has a serial number on it. If you have the lock brand and serial number, the manufacturer will sometimes send you a replacment key for less than what a locksmith would charge.

Brad

Doggy Daddy
September 5, 2007, 04:04 PM
Have you considered shooting the lock off? :D

GigaBuist
September 5, 2007, 04:06 PM
What kind is it? Internal or external?

Now might be a good time to teach yourself how to pick locks. :D With a $15 kit and 20 minutes of education you could probably get through that thing in under 60 seconds.

Red Tornado
September 5, 2007, 04:06 PM
Is it one of the cylindrical keys that you can shove a Bic pen into and turn it? Or is that just RSC's?
RT

a1abdj
September 5, 2007, 04:09 PM
Although these locks aren't that difficult to pick, it's usually not worth paying somebody to mess with it.

If you have a drill and a steady hand, you can drill out the plug (brass part where the key inserts) and open it yourself in about 30 seconds.

kd7nqb
September 5, 2007, 04:11 PM
the trigger lock I have all share the same key. But they are free ones handed out by operation childsafe and I use them on things like my toolbox. If its a cheap one you might be able to buy the same one.

+1 for the drill idea just dont hit the gun.

pinstripe
September 5, 2007, 04:17 PM
Lost the key huh. Where did you hide the spare key? Forgot that too huh. Try shooting the lock off with a 12 Ga.
Good luck

Robert Hairless
September 5, 2007, 04:19 PM
If you are attacked it might be worth asking your attacker if he can lend you a spare key. A knowledgable attacker might even be able to pick your trigger lock for you. I don't know if he would do it for free though.

At the very least you know now that the trigger lock you put on your gun does the thing it is intended to do: keep the gun from being fired. You might want to consider leaving the lock in place because now you have almost a perfectly safe gun. Put trigger locks on any other guns you have and you can make them almost perfectly safe too.

Noxx
September 5, 2007, 04:20 PM
You put the trigger lock..... on your gun?

Hadn't thought of that myself, been using all the ones California made me buy as paperweights.

ArfinGreebly
September 5, 2007, 05:02 PM
Doesn't Black & Decker make a key for that lock?

SaMx
September 5, 2007, 05:09 PM
you should use a cable lock, then you can use a pair of heavy duty wire cutters to get it off if you loose the key.

with a cable lock it's also not possible to load the gun and chamber a round, if you're trying to keep kids from using it.

SDC
September 5, 2007, 05:20 PM
If it's a two-piece lock like the one below, it's simple enough to get off with a dental pick; just pry the rubber seal on the BACK side (the side with the toothed rachet in it) away, then you can push the rachet in, releasing it from the toothed rod that's normally turned by the key. If you don't care about the lock, you can just clamp the long side in a vise, and twist the front off with a pair of vise-grips.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p22/StaceyC123/triggerlock.jpg

AlaskaErik
September 5, 2007, 05:27 PM
Good thing you didn't find that out at 3:00 am just after you heard something going bump in the night.

ilcylic
September 5, 2007, 05:55 PM
Come on, guys. Don't give the poor fellow such a hard time. I'm sure he's learned that trigger locks aren't so great without y'all rubbing his face in it.

As for the question at hand, I second the idea of getting a set of lock picks.

strat81
September 5, 2007, 05:58 PM
Trigger locks have their place. If we were reading about this guy's kids shooting one of their friends "by accident", we'd trash him for not using locks.

Aries-
September 5, 2007, 05:58 PM
try the key for your other trigger locks.

all 12 trigger locks of my dads share the same key, and each lock came with 2. so we have 24 keys that all work with the locks lol.

id contact the company and see if they can send a new key out.

a1abdj
September 5, 2007, 06:11 PM
Doesn't Black & Decker make a key for that lock?

We call that tool a "rotary pick" :D

As for the question at hand, I second the idea of getting a set of lock picks.

Possession of lock picks or other lock defeating tools in many states is considered possession of burglary tools unless you are licensed to possess those tools.

It's certainly not worth going to jail over.

51Cards
September 5, 2007, 06:19 PM
:eek: I saw this on TV a few months ago:

At first I thought it was just a gun safety bashing session. They were taking cable-type gun locks and opening by simply smacking the body of the lock against the edge of a table. :eek::eek:

Sooo --- I went inside and fished (from the bottom of the closet ... :D) the locks that came a Ruger and a Marlin and gave it a try. Bingo --- they both snapped open on the first or second try. Seriously.

If your lock is the cable type, try holding the (possibly rag-wrapped) gun near a workbench and whack the lock body against the side of the bench or a bench vise.

If it works (or doesn't, depending on how you view it) the way mine did, the free end of the cable will pop out of the lock body.

Who designs this junk, anyway? :fire:

Joey_the_Wolf
September 5, 2007, 06:26 PM
I found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6PeeDty9Ks

This video is probably illegal in California though....

I just typed in "pick gun lock" in the youtube search bar. Several came up.

Good luck with that.

obxned
September 5, 2007, 06:31 PM
Get it unlocked and then loose the stupid key - the lock is a sick joke played on us by some hateful non-gun politicians with their heads up their ......

FieroCDSP
September 5, 2007, 06:32 PM
Hmm..the punk is admitting he's picking locks in the middle of the night? Moron. But good info.

Im283
September 5, 2007, 06:32 PM
Nothing against locks in general here, but a lock has no place on a trigger. Think of the four rules. Don't touch the trigger, unless you are sighted in on your target. Freakin trigger locks are accidents waiting to happen. Best place for them things is the trash can.

end of rant try a drill.

Werewolf
September 5, 2007, 06:35 PM
...get a set of lock picks...Ummmm... where would one go to buy lock picks - assuming it's even legal to do so?

koja48
September 5, 2007, 06:41 PM
Post a picture . . . we ARE here to help . . . sometimes we're just a tad "affectionately offensive" . . .

GigaBuist
September 5, 2007, 07:00 PM
Ummmm... where would one go to buy lock picks - assuming it's even legal to do so?

Cheaper than Dirt: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/DBA776-2165-675.html

I've got the same brand deluxe set of those somewhere.

W.E.G.
September 5, 2007, 07:22 PM
I know exactly where my trigger lock keys are.

Not so sure where any of the trigger locks are though. Last I saw 'em I think they was in a box under the sink-trap in the downstairs bathroom at the old house.

DiggityBiggity
September 5, 2007, 10:58 PM
Whoah! So many responses... amazing, thank you guys. I'm gonna try pulling the rubber away and using the vice tomorrow... if not... MAYBE the drill.

As for how I lost the keys, I moved in with my girlfriend, and she has cats... cats who love to knock things over and under... needless to say, that key is LOST!

koja48
September 5, 2007, 11:02 PM
Well, in the interim, if a BG happens to break-in . . . throw a cat at 'em . . .

never_retreat
September 5, 2007, 11:18 PM
Give it to some younger kids, they should have it off in no time flat.:evil:

Tigerseye
September 5, 2007, 11:22 PM
A gun range I worked at was furnished a set of keys by the manufacturer that would open most "Master" type locks, either cable or two piece trigger type. Check with your local dealer and/or range.

RyanM
September 5, 2007, 11:31 PM
Hm, I just beat the crap out of my Ruger cable lock, and couldn't get it to open. Must have gotten a good one. Any certain way you have to whack it against something? I was holding it by the end of the cable that pulls out and just swinging it against the edge of a workbench.

GlowinPontiac
September 6, 2007, 12:58 AM
i had one on my marlin .22 when i was a kid that siezed up solid.

it was a master lock too so it wasnt just a cheap freebie kind. took a while to drill out but drilling with a drill press made it much easier.

oh and the mossberg cable locks succumb rather quickly to an angle grinder!

FieroCDSP
September 6, 2007, 01:00 AM
Swing it the other way. :evil:

No, really, I was just messin with ya. I tried to pick my master lock cables and couldn't do it. Maybe it's only the really, really cheap NRA issue ones that are so easy to defeat.

If it's a cable, get a pair of bolt cutters. If it's the solid two piece type, you're going to have to lock-smith it or drill it.

gezzer
September 6, 2007, 01:26 AM
Hope it isn't loaded

savetheclaypigeons
September 6, 2007, 01:33 AM
I'm an amature locksmith and sadly gun locks are quicker to pick than they are to unlock with a key. Sadly you will find many house door locks are too. Grab a set of cheap lock picks for $30 and not only will you have plenty of fun but the first thing you will learn how to pick is a gun lock. They are the easiest I have found to pick :rolleyes:
Side note: Has anyone heard of bump keys? Those give me the willies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aPJj1_OU3M
Might be a good strategy and security topic

BigBlock
September 6, 2007, 02:38 AM
Have you heard of "lock bumping"? Google it. ;)

TehK1w1
September 6, 2007, 03:32 AM
I have a friend who is a locksmith that says he uses bump keys more than picks for difficult locks.

Charles W Webb
September 6, 2007, 05:07 AM
Lol I could pick a Homak trigger guard in under 30 seconds with 2 paper clips and I never looked onlineo.o I taught myself :what:, after that I could pick cheap locks with 2 paper clips or a bobby pin broken in half easily.

Mannix
September 6, 2007, 05:12 AM
Bump keys are kind of fun to mess with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTVBWCijEQ

Sistema1927
September 6, 2007, 09:47 AM
After looking at the Bump Key video I realize that my Dad wasn't joking when he said that "locks are for honest people".

the naked prophet
September 6, 2007, 12:07 PM
Give it to an 8 year old. That should take care of it.

rino451
September 6, 2007, 12:35 PM
Locked gun... Ha! Ha! Lost key... Ha! Ha! Ha!:neener:

You sound like my wife her first three trips to the range! She insistED that she keep HER gun locked at all times. It's no fun just watching.:evil:

Geno
September 6, 2007, 12:43 PM
Have you ever drilled a lock?! I have, and I don't recommend it. The drill bit will grab and release multiple times, and in very fast order, when you apply it to the key-insert. My point? The chances of damaging your firearm...great!

Take it to a locksmith.

Doc2005

51Cards
September 7, 2007, 12:07 AM
RyanM,

Mine is a black-and-red one, with a red cable sheath. Holding it (while locked) by the loop end of the cable and slapping it against the floor unlocks it about 3 times out 5 on the first swing. Can't find the Marlin one. Mine came with a Mk III.

I have a feeling that the TV thing had them changing locks. If I get a chance I'll shot an MPEG of it and post it. Worth considering, if you have people (like kids) around who shouldn't have access.

I haven't tried it while it's in the gun. It's never been there ...:D

wmeSha
September 7, 2007, 12:37 AM
I think I picked up my lockpicks here: http://www.lockpickshop.com/MPXS-14.html

For practice I bought a handful of old locks out of a college dorm that had been rekeyed, and I removed some of the pins to make them easier. I've also done one of the doors in my home which had much less wear and was consequently more difficult. It makes a reasonably entertaining hobby.

After reading this thread, I tried out the cable gun lock that came with a 9mm pistol, and I can verify that it was straightforward. I used a tension wrench and a "snake" pick--no finesse at all, no individual pin setting. If that indicates something about the general quality of gun locks, you can probably get a competent locksmith to pick your lock cheaper than you can buy a pick set.

bogie
September 7, 2007, 03:20 AM
Well, I don't think we've heard back...

Two kinds of gunlocks.

1) It has a "real" key/has a thing that basically acts like a key if you're not worried about keeping something locked.

2) It's one of those built in dealies like Taurus uses, in which case all the recommendations would just screw things up.

Tequila jake
September 7, 2007, 03:40 AM
Yep, had to do that very thing once. I guess I looked honest to the locksmith because he didn't hesitate to take it off. I didn't have time to send to the factory for another key and didn't have a spare with me.

I'm sure most of the other suggested methods will work, too.

Tequila Jake

gunsmith
September 7, 2007, 03:57 AM
If the cats get wind of your blaming them for losing the keys they may exact their revenge.

I second the notion of using a locksmith, guns are expensive.

DiggityBiggity
September 7, 2007, 03:57 AM
The Vice and Monkey Wrench worked... the trigger lock was off in 4 seconds flat. THANKS EVERYONE!

tinygnat219
September 7, 2007, 08:40 AM
You mean you actually use those useless things?

Sorry, I thought everyone did what I did, have a box full of them collecting dust.

wmeSha
September 9, 2007, 12:48 PM
Inspired by this thread, I took my lock pick to a Sentinel security box. It was one of the smallish pistol boxes sold at Walmart. Like the cable gun lock, the security box was picked in about 20 seconds. It will keep out children and honest people.

A decent locking door handle on a closet would be significantly better in this respect though.

Now I'm curious as to the quality of the lock in some of the "safes" that have an "override key."

a1abdj
September 9, 2007, 02:11 PM
Now I'm curious as to the quality of the lock in some of the "safes" that have an "override key."

Any safe lock with an override key is going to be an inexpensive chinese lock. They aren't hard to pick either.

I will repeat this though for those that may have missed it earlier. In many states, possession of picks and bump keys is considered possession of burglary tools if you are not licensed to have them. Be careful.

CNYCacher
September 9, 2007, 02:34 PM
Just choose a drill bit that is about the size of the key cylinder, and drill it. The last time I did this it was on one of those locking plates that cover the handle on your truck tailgate (my truck). Literally I think the drill was turning for about 2 seconds before the cylinder blew open and the plate fell off. It was sobering.

wmeSha
September 9, 2007, 02:48 PM
a1abdj: In Missouri (relevant to me) intention is everything ("with a purpose to use or knowledge that some person has the purpose of using"): http://moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5690000180.htm

I'm pretty sure I checked before I ordered my set. In my case, I've never attempted a lock that I did not already have a key for and legitimate reason to access.

Kerryon
December 12, 2007, 02:04 AM
New trick (for me) if yours is a cheapo buried screw head, like mine, (aren't the Walthers slick?). Take a slightly bigger piece of metal tube(old 1/4" socket?) & epoxy. Carefully glue wiithout overlap or using toothpick and vasoline pretreat outside screw head. Let cure. Screw or un as the case requires. Used epoxy and phillips to disass'y elec. tester w/. stripped screw heads. B.O.Luck
Your not a gun stealer person, ARE you? Helpfully and affectionately, K.D.H.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lost key to my trigger lock...ughh" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!