USFA China Camp, What kind of finish does it have?

PDA

amvet
September 5, 2007, 05:51 PM
I am looking at a previously owned but unfired USFA China Camp SAA. Seems like a nice gun but it appears to be finished in the white (no finish). The owner says it has something called Silver Steel Competion Finish. Anyone know what that is? Will it give the gun any protection from rust? Thanks for the input.

amvet

If you enjoyed reading about "USFA China Camp, What kind of finish does it have?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
September 5, 2007, 08:06 PM
It is bare steel. No protection from rust at all. I guess they left it bare so it would not show wear from frequent shooting, as long as you kept it cleaned and oiled.

Rexster
September 5, 2007, 09:50 PM
Yep, no finish at all, the way I understand it. No big deal, as bluing and casehardening do not protect from rust, anyway. Nice sixguns; I have three of them. :)

Gator
September 5, 2007, 11:32 PM
Bluing and case hardening offer more rust protection than nothing!

Rexster
September 6, 2007, 03:27 AM
Bluing might offer minimal protection, as it is a controlled form of corrosion itself, but in my experience, CCH will rust quicker than blued steel for sure. My Second Generation SAA will start showing those tiny little rust flowers on the frame if I am not religious about keeping it protected, here on the humid Gulf Coast. I once bought a brand new Colt SAA at a dealer, fresh from the distributor, and when I wiped off the oil, presumably applied at the factory, the CCH frame already had little flowers of rust growing on it! I don't notice my China Camp that I carry sometimes seeming to want to rust, though the previous owner had it bead-blasted, which might have been done to remove rust he had possibly allowed to develop.

If you enjoyed reading about "USFA China Camp, What kind of finish does it have?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!