How do you use a SPEED CLIP?

PDA

David S
September 5, 2007, 05:12 PM
Oh god, im about to get flamed, i can just see it...

pardon me.... Im not much of a revolver guy.... well ive shot alot, just never carried um...... could someone explain how speed clips are use?

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you use a SPEED CLIP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
351 WINCHESTER
September 5, 2007, 05:26 PM
Are you referring to Bianchi speed strips or speed loaders? The speed strips are pretty much out to lunch, but are better than a dump pouch. They speed strips are used where you need max. concealment.

David S
September 5, 2007, 05:44 PM
no, i know how to use speed LOADERS< i was referring to the speed STRIPS

so they are OUT?

cpaspr
September 5, 2007, 05:53 PM
Hold the speed strip in your left hand, the open revolver in your right. Position the first two rounds into adjacent holes of the cylinder, twist the speed strip to release them to drop into the cylinder. Rotate the cylinder with a finger on your right hand then load the next two rounds from the speed strip with your left. Rotate again and load the last two rounds from the speed strip (or last round, if you're carrying a 5-shot snubby). Close the cylinder and return to ready.

rdrancher
September 5, 2007, 08:06 PM
This works too. Not my pic.

http://snub load01.jpg

rd

Rexster
September 5, 2007, 08:30 PM
Don't twist! Peel along the axis of the Speed Strip. Twisting is SLOWER and less sure; peeling makes for a clean stripping of the rounds. It is quite true that Speed Strips are not as fast as speedloaders or well-placed cartridge loops for a complete reload. A Speed Strip is a VERY fast and sure way to load two rounds, and that can be very important. Some very serious snubby carriers I know have been carrying their Speed Strips with a mere four rounds, with the idea that it makes handling more sure, providing a sturdy "handle" at each end. Makes sense to me, though I still carry five rounds, leaving a good handle at one end, or else a mere two rounds, on the theory that if I need more than just the two, I will speedload a whole cylinder full.

fletcher
September 5, 2007, 08:37 PM
Hold the speed strip in your left hand, the open revolver in your right. Position the first two rounds into adjacent holes of the cylinder, twist the speed strip to release them to drop into the cylinder.
I do the same, but peel - two rounds at a time. It's fairly quick with practice.

Rexster
September 5, 2007, 08:38 PM
Ah, Speed Strips are NOT out, in the circles of serious snubby users. At the Snubby Summit in December 2005, Speed Strips were used by just about everbody, with many of the heavy hitters using the 4-round idea I just mentioned abaove. Michael Debethancourt believes in the superiority of speedloaders himself, but much of his class was in the use of a Speed Strip to load TWO rounds VERY quickly, shut the cylinder and fire RIGHT NOW. A speedloader is indeed a fast way to a complete reload, but a Speed Strip keeps the spare rounds together, in a way that is easy to grip, and gets a partial reload done VERY quickly.

MCgunner
September 5, 2007, 08:41 PM
I carry 'em in the thought that I might need to top up during a fight. I have one speed loader on me and a speed strip, usually. It's also a cool way to tote extra ammo afield. I have a flap holster for autos, but that fits my revolvers, specifically my favorite Taurus 66. There's a mag pouch on the front of the holster that fits two speed strips. I carry two six round strips of .357 there and have a pouch for my spare .38 wadcutter.

Rexster
September 5, 2007, 08:42 PM
Mr. Fletcher, looks like we were posting at the same time. Indeed, insert two, and PEEL. :) Doesn't matter if it's the thumb along the back of the Speed Strip, or the index finger. Either way can be efficient.

Rexster
September 5, 2007, 08:44 PM
When I carried a .357 sixgun in my duty holster, I carried two speedloaders on the belt, and two Speed Strips in my shirt pockets. As MCgunner indicated, a complete reload is not always needed.

W.E.G.
September 5, 2007, 08:52 PM
I think with these things, the name is kind of misleading.

"SPEED" Strip.

Well, not too speedy actually - at least not in comparison to stoking a a Glock 17 with a fresh mag.

But way speedier than picking sticky individual rounds from a mildewed leather belt-loop jobby, or digging an individual round out of your buttoned-down shirt pocket after you worm your fingers past your harmonica and your picture of Betty Lou.

jt1
September 5, 2007, 10:04 PM
Here's a speed strip method for a five round snubby, will work for others as well. As indicated by Rexster a lot of folks are using this method and it can be very fast with sustained pratice. Whatever method you end up using, the key is to do it the same way every time, and pratice to maintain once you have aquired the skill.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=3323146&h

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you use a SPEED CLIP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!