Introducing myself

PDA

ErminioB
July 7, 2003, 08:01 AM
Good morning, just some lines to introduce myself.

I'd like to be a new gun owner: I'm still just thinking about it only because I live in Italy, where gun ownership is a mess, to get and to handle, and because I'm still trying to change my wife's mind; however, there are a lot of reasons that still push me (for exemple, my rights to protect what I care, waiting for LEOs), so I think I'm going to make this step after this summer.

I think that I'm going to start with a .22, but I'd like to step soon to a 9 caliber: I've read good opinions about the Walther P99, it could be my choice.

I just started a new job that will make me travel sometimes in the US, mainly near Phoenix, so if I'll start a friendship with some Highroad member I hope we could fix for a meeting!

That's it, best regards
Erminio

If you enjoyed reading about "Introducing myself" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Triad
July 7, 2003, 08:26 AM
Welcome!

Skunkabilly
July 7, 2003, 11:02 AM
Howdy!!!!!

As for your handgun choice...Beretta, duh!!! :p

(Do you guys have Elite IIs in Italy?)

Gary H
July 7, 2003, 11:05 AM
Welcome.... My wife changed her mind when she tried shooting clays with a very nice Italian shotgun...

Starting out with a .22 is a great idea...

Tamara
July 7, 2003, 11:14 AM
Welcome to THR! :cool:

geekWithA.45
July 7, 2003, 11:25 AM
Welcome!

(donning flame retardant suit)

If there are restrictions on hollow points or EFMJ, consider a heavier caliber for a defense gun. 9mm ball is pretty marginal as a pistol defense round.

.40 gets you 85% of a .45, and splits the difference in recoil between 9mm and .45, and Berretta makes some handsome carry pieces in .40.

The .22 is a great choice to start out with, mainly because it's really cheap to shoot, and therefore more fun/bang for the buck.

Personally, I prefer .45 acp, (hence my username ;) ) and Smith & Wesson now makes a Walther P99 in .45, although they've "improved" the design by adding politically correct BS to it like mag disconnectors and so on.

4v50 Gary
July 7, 2003, 12:33 PM
Welcome aboard.

Please take the time to tell us about what it takes to become a gun owner in Italy.

Schuey2002
July 7, 2003, 12:34 PM
Howdy! :)

makdaddy03
July 7, 2003, 01:10 PM
Hi there, Buy a gun anyways. You are man of the house arent you.:p

El Tejon
July 7, 2003, 02:11 PM
Welcome to THR.:)

When you are in the U.S.A., have fun in God's Waiting Room.

Ledbetter
July 7, 2003, 02:20 PM
.22 makes for very cheap practice and lots of fun.
9mm ammo is easy to find and easy to shoot.
There is nothing like a .45, in my humble opinion, for effective self-defense.

RVSinOK
July 7, 2003, 02:50 PM
Welcome aboard! I too would be interested in how the gun laws work in Italy.

hansolo
July 7, 2003, 03:02 PM
Howdy!

I visited your beautiful country in 1970...Genoa, Milano, etc.: I have told anyone who will listen that the Italiano are just about the friendliest people I met in W. Europe!

I live about 300 miles West of Phoenix in Palm Springs, California...but, I visit my in-laws in Chandler(20 miles S. of Phoenix)now & then; When you plan to be in the Phoenix area, I can try and visit, as I'm retired.

I just came form Caswell's, an indoor shooting range near Phoenix that rents all sorts of handguns: it would be a great place to visit!

P.S. I'd try the Beretta 9mm...they also come in .22!!

Best wishes, Steve

Mark Tyson
July 7, 2003, 08:38 PM
Greetings! We love a great diversity of nationalities here at THR. I hope you can enlighten us about the gun laws in Italy.

.22 is a great caliber to start with. Have fun!

cool45auto
July 7, 2003, 08:47 PM
Welcome to THR!:D

amprecon
July 7, 2003, 08:48 PM
Welcome to THR Erminio. You'll find alot of good information from alot of good people here.
From where in the Old Country are you from? My Grandfather immigrated to Peru from Genoa to silver mine a long time ago. Last name was Accinelli.

10-Ring
July 8, 2003, 12:27 AM
Howdy & welcome to THR!

chetrogers
July 8, 2003, 12:32 AM
Hi there welcome to the high road...I hope you like your time here :)

If your gonna get a self defence weapon i would suggest getting the 9mm over the .22.The .22 would just make the bad guy mad if you shot him

PATH
July 8, 2003, 12:40 AM
Welcome!

.22 LR is a great way to learn the basics. The 9mm is good for defense.
Good luck and enjoy your trip.

If you enjoyed reading about "Introducing myself" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!