Ever wonder? A pondering thread.

PDA

40SW
September 6, 2007, 09:41 AM
Ever wonder?

1. If the folks who ask whether a .357MAG or a .223REM can drop a bear think about the weight and size of the bear and if they realize that as with other living species, bears come in all different shapes, ages, mass, and sizes.

2. If the folks who belittle picatinny rail adapted flashlights that fit todays modern pistols ever found themselves in a low light tactical situation, and if they had mumbled to themselves. " Oh crap!???*@~!!!!, wish I had one of those Insight doohickies right now!!"

3. If the guy behind the gunshop counter who recommends a Ruger Redhawk in .44MAG to a 125 lb pettite female has a brain. ( Yes, I know many women can handle it, but a few probing questions like. "Have you ever shot a handgun?" could cure that dilemma. , many folks get turned off from the shooting sports and firearms in general because their first gun is the WRONG GUN FOR THEM.).

4. If many stopping power thread respondants realize that there are millions of variables in a defensive shooting situation and that trying to quantify stopping power ABSOLUTELY with velocity, foot lbs of energy etc, is like trying to chase an amoeba upstream.

5. If the same individuals referenced in #4 realize that not every bullet will expand identically and retain 100% of its weight, and that bullet deformation will impact #4. , hence ballistics is not ABSOLUTE.

6. Why ccw permit holders will change the oil in their car every 3000 miles but not lubricate their weapon every 3000 rds, since your life relies on both.

7. If the folks who belittle HiPoint firearms actually ever shot one. ?

8. Ever wonder how many other people are carrying besides you when you enter a restaurant or similar establishment with over 20-30 people.

9. Ever watch a film and say: " Wait a second!!!, thats a SIG P226!! " and have others around you go. "HUH?@@!!"

10. Ever dream about the next gun you are going to purchase.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever wonder? A pondering thread." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
September 6, 2007, 10:40 AM
3. If the guy behind the gunshop counter who recommends a Ruger Redhawk in .44MAG to a 125 lb pettite female has a brain. ( Yes, I know many women can handle it, but a few probing questions like. "Have you ever shot a handgun?" could cure that dilemma. , many folks get turned off from the shooting sports and firearms in general because their first gun is the WRONG GUN FOR THEM.).

In fairness, that rarely happens. The most common WRONG GUN FOR THEM most often recommended by the guy behind the counter is a super-lightweight, ti- or aluminum-framed snubby, with a short sight radius, vestigial sights, and a really heavy DA trigger. The second-most common WRONG GUN FOR THEM recommended by the guy behind the counter is a super-lightweight straight-blowback semi-auto with a short sight radius, vestigial sights, and a really heavy DA trigger.

pax

the pistolero
September 6, 2007, 10:43 AM
10. Ever dream about the next gun you are going to purchase.
I can't say I dream about it, but I think about it, all the time. :D In fact, as I sit here I am mulling over when I should ask my friendly local FFL to start looking for me one.

40SW
September 6, 2007, 10:44 AM
Pax:
You make a good point, poor recommendations from gunshop sales guys run the gammut of both too large and too small. Most gunshops should encourage prospective buyers to fondle many guns and find the proper grip/ergonomics/fits for their hand instead of influencing them subjectively. Many are good at it, some are terrible.

NCLivingBrit
September 6, 2007, 11:13 AM
The first time I shot a (rented) non-rimfire handgun in the US, the guy behind the counter told me "you're a big guy, this .40 XD will be perfect".

He forget to mention the snappish (to me at least) recoil, or that putting a couple of boxes of ammo through it fairly fast would leave me a trifle tender......

All I know is, I'm not likely to buy a .40cal or an XD any time soon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever wonder? A pondering thread." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!