From the Land of the Free to the Home of the Ruled and Back again...

PDA

Wildalaska
July 7, 2003, 10:14 AM
Some random notes from a recent trip from gun friendly and free Alaska (even marijuana is becoming legal again, a Court just ruled that Alaskans right to privacy permits personal use Marijuana in the home) to the fine states of NJ, NYC and the country of Bermuda....

1. NYC is a heck of a lot cleaner than I recall. Evidently, focusing on quality of life crimes such as grafitti, gangs, bums and hookers makes the streets at least look nicer. The crime rate is pretty low as I understand it.

2. There aint no gunshops worth a look in nYC, at least a ways for those with common tastes such as mine.

3. Seeing the hole where the World Trade Center used to be REALLY P***ED me off:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

4. The traffic is horrible and people drive like idiots and crazed beasts. Several times I was ready to flip off an irrational driver but was warned "dont do that, you never know, he might have a gun and will shoot you". The response that maybe I should be allowed to carry a gun to defend my self was predictably met with "o no, guns are dangerous".
OK:rolleyes:

5. I went to six gun shops in NJ...in five, the stock was pathetic, the sales people unhelpful, the prices outrageous. Guess they dont get a lot of business. Particularly noted for bad service was Ramsey Outdoor Store.

6. I went to Sarco....havent been there in 25 years and its still great. They are on the web at Sarco (http://www.sarcoinc.com). They have some awesome collector Garands (real nice prioces for what you get IMHO), great Swedes, loads of Euro rifles, etc.
Nice guys and helpful. Bought a Parker Hale sprter in 6.5x55 for $300, pretty rough outside but great bore. There I am with an FFL and EIN but I couldnt take it with me, had to Fed Ex it up... thanks NJ!

7. The lovely island of Bermuda....suffice it to say I walked into an antique shop and asked for antique guns swords bayos etc and was told..."Quite sorry sir, all firearms and such articles are banned heah"..like hey dude Im not looking for an AK, just like maybe an Enfield or something...no dice...
Nice Bren guns and Vickers in the museums though...and the flowers were awesome.

8. ya cant bring small scissors on an airplane. But they give you a metal fork with your meal. Think about it.

9. My wife is never too tired to shop.

First thing I did when I got home was put a gun in my pocket...

WildworldtravelerAlaska

If you enjoyed reading about "From the Land of the Free to the Home of the Ruled and Back again..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quantrill
July 7, 2003, 11:44 AM
Lucky you! You got to go back. Think of us peasents stuck here. Quantrill

Alan Smithiee
July 7, 2003, 06:49 PM
I think my wife understands why the first thing I do when we come home from out of state is cuddle my P95 and talk baby talk to him.

Zedicus
July 7, 2003, 06:57 PM
damn, I Envy you....

Can't wait till I Move Backto the US....:D

4v50 Gary
July 7, 2003, 07:34 PM
Did Bermuda even have blackpowder guns or are those considered weapons of mass destruction too?

Wildalaska
July 8, 2003, 03:26 AM
Did Bermuda even have blackpowder guns or are those considered weapons of mass destruction too?

Actually there are cannons everywhere....

But in that salt air they would burst if fired...

Sort of cool to walk streets that have been there since the 1600s...in Alaska, the streets have been there since 1968....

WildahoymateyAlaska

HBK
July 8, 2003, 03:44 AM
This might be kinda dumb, but I've pretty much decided not to travel to places where I can't have my gun...or guns.

Lennyjoe
July 8, 2003, 11:23 AM
I just returned from my cross country trip as well.

Started in Arizona. Drove to Vegas for an eve, Yellowstone Park for 2 days, 2 day visit to Michigan, week visit in Ohio, WVA and Georgia. Drove from Valdosta Georgia back to Tucson Az in two days. 1982 miles from Valdosta to Tucson.

Overall miles drove in 30 days, 7,928.

Hit gunshops in Ohio, WVA and Georgia and pickings were pretty slim.

Only states I couldnt carry in was Indiana, Ohio, WVA, New Mexico. Also couldnt carry in Yellowstone Park. Carried everywhere else.

Got pulled over once for passing a Sherriff in some county East of El Paso Texas. Guess he didnt like me passing him. Anyway, license and insurance check and was on my way with a warning. Never asked about weapons in the car or if he could toss the vehicle. Would of declined his request if he would of asked.

Was a great trip. We all had a good time. Spent way too much money but after being in Korea for a year it was nice to see the family and friends.

My wife is never too tired to shop

I know your pain. She wanted me to stop so many times on the road to shop. If I had we would of still been in South Dakota.;)

Wildalaska
July 8, 2003, 11:23 AM
This might be kinda dumb, but I've pretty much decided not to travel to places where I can't have my gun...or guns.

Looks like your gonna miss the rest of the world then,,,:D

WildontosiemriepAlaska

J Miller
July 8, 2003, 12:30 PM
HBK This might be kinda dumb, but I've pretty much decided not to travel to places where I can't have my gun...or guns.
Looks like your gonna miss the rest of the world then,,,

I have lived in "gun friendly and free":) and now live in IL :fire: . If home is "gun friendly and free" why in the world would you want to visit the rest of it? :confused:
I agree with HBK

El Tejon
July 8, 2003, 01:00 PM
Lennyjoe, why couldn't you carry in Indiana???:confused: We have universal reciprocity.:confused:

Lennyjoe
July 8, 2003, 05:52 PM
Oops, I meant Illinois. Specifically the Chicago metro area. My bad:o

Jeff White
July 8, 2003, 06:34 PM
Lenny,
Next time drive through Southern Illinois. Still isn't legal to carry, but I'll buy you a beer.

Jeff

Majic
July 8, 2003, 07:20 PM
I almost bought a Parker Hale sporter once, but I had no use for a 25.06. I should have still bought it and rebarreled it, it sold for a good price. I do have its cousin (well they could pass for twins really) the BSA Monarch in .243. Do your Parker Hale have the long Mauser extractor? My BSA is a push feed model, the older models were control fed. I don't see many Parker Hales or BSAs (in sporter configuration) around here anymore.

Wildalaska
July 8, 2003, 07:29 PM
Do your Parker Hale have the long Mauser extractor?

Yep sure does...and its seems to be a slimmer action too...its gonna be a nice one...(assuming it shoots)....

If home is "gun friendly and free" why in the world would you want to visit the rest of it?

Its a big world out there, and I guess I have a sense of adventure and a desire to see new places...

Wildletsgo!Alaska

sm
July 8, 2003, 08:00 PM
WildAlaska, welcome back. Sounds like a good trip. Last time I was out of the country, felt kinda undressed. Sure was nice to see the" US Citizens" sign at Miami though. I checked on my 1911 before I went to pick up the dogs-priorities-ya know.

Lennyjoe, I did the road trip last fall. Couldn't carry in OH...kinds blew through there anyway.

Don't know If I'll go abroad again, let the passport expire. I will do a road trip again. I better understand why some say they wish they had traveled the US --and not some places abroad, given a choice-20/20 hindsight.

OT- years ago when VISA CC were blue, yellow and white, had a friend return from a vacation. His wife lived to shop, got the CC bill " I now understand why my card is blue, yellow and white...my wife bruised it-bad".:p

Wildalaska
July 8, 2003, 08:24 PM
Funny I have more of a desire to travel abroad than to visit some places in the US (like go back to Calif, or Mass)...but if you think about it..as an American, your places to travel are limited...

IMHO, the only countries that are safe (meaning yoiu are not gonna be targeted as an American) for US citizens are:

Japan
England
Canada
Singapore
Australia/NZ
Mexico
Argentina/Brazil
Carribean
Cambodia
Vietnam
Eastern Europe
SKorea
China
Taiwan

Less safe would be
India
Thailand
Venezuela
West Europe
Russia

Unsafes are numerous, but who wants to go to North Korea of Iran?

Me Im heading for Japan and Cambodia...gonna shoot some AKs!

Wildneedaninternationalcarrypermit?Alaska

If you enjoyed reading about "From the Land of the Free to the Home of the Ruled and Back again..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!