Firearm tattoo in 2 weeks

PDA

collateral
September 6, 2007, 11:54 PM
I went and got my appointment set.

Im getting a big eagle in the center of my chest, modeled after the eagle in this picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/xasnrx/ITDeagle.jpg

The eagle will be perched on top of a blue helmet ;) , with several bullet holes in it. The helmet will be on top and in the middle of 2 rifles crossed. I'm torn between the 2 M1 garands and 2 M16s.

I am leaning towards the garands, because not only are they what I consider to be the iconic American firearm, but the wood stocks will go very well with the brown on the eagle.

There will be a banner that comes around over the rifle barrels and hangs down under the helmet, Im thinking of having it say "there is no fear in my heart" OR MOLON LABE.

What do you all think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearm tattoo in 2 weeks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CDignition
September 7, 2007, 12:00 AM
I say don't do it.

Whats the price tag on an item like that?

rkh
September 7, 2007, 12:04 AM
It's a neat idea, but I feel obliged to give my stock tattoo question response. Talk to a few old people with tattoos. How do they look? How do they feel about their ink jobs? With the full benefit of hindsight, would they have done anything differently?

/not a big fan of permanent body art

buy guns
September 7, 2007, 12:07 AM
Talk to a few old people with tattoos. How do they look?

Bald, wrinkly, and gross...so a tattoo will be the least of your worries :D

General Geoff
September 7, 2007, 12:08 AM
I've tinkered with the idea of getting a tatoo for years and years; I just can't really think of anything that I can confidently say I know I'll still like in fifty years.

Husker1911
September 7, 2007, 12:08 AM
While I don't sport any tattoos upon my body, I've always thought the Rampant Colt would look great.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/Husker1911/rampant.gif

Bazooka Joe71
September 7, 2007, 12:09 AM
Well, since you asked for opinions I'd say go with the garands...But I'd get it on my deltoid or shoulder blade instead of my chest.

The saying is up in the air.

I don't have any tattoos, nor do I plan on getting one, but one on the delt or should blade looks much classier IMHO.

GunTech
September 7, 2007, 12:12 AM
+1 for Garands.

I have no tattoos either, but my wife has one and will be getting another next week. For her they are not so much decorative, but to mark major life events - things she want to note and remember forever. I understand this is fairly common.

rkh
September 7, 2007, 12:17 AM
One more thing. You're considering getting tats of service rifles on your chest, but are you aware that your proposed tattoo will probably get you permanently DQ'd from any type of military service?

Just a thought.

cnorman18
September 7, 2007, 12:41 AM
I have a tattoo. I got it to show my love for a woman. She's long gone, but the tat is still here...

If you really want it, go for it; but I second the opinion that the shoulder or bicep or back is much cooler than the chest. Those ol' pecs are going to sag a bit when you get old, and you don't want a droopy eagle.

It also sounds a little elaborate to me. Simple is good on tattoos. Pile too many images on there, and in 20 years you won't be able to tell what they are.

Outlaws
September 7, 2007, 12:49 AM
I personally am not of fan of words. Images are great because they leave things open to interpretation. Words are narrow and focused.

Just my .02

Junkyard Dog
September 7, 2007, 12:52 AM
Either this is a joke or I am to old to understand why anyone would do
something like this.

gaudio5
September 7, 2007, 12:56 AM
garands all the way i have a ton of tattoos chest is paiiiiiinfulllll

Blackfork
September 7, 2007, 12:59 AM
First of all if you are going to get this in the middle of your chest, I'm assuming you're a guy.

I thought about a tattoo myself. I thought I might get the wind drift chart for 80gr Sierras on the back of my right hand, but I've just gotten to where I watch the mirage and wind flag and chase the spotter.

As long as you are over 21 and your mom is dead, I'd say go for it. It really is a heck of an image. In the near future, I'm sure they will be able to remove tatts.

cbsbyte
September 7, 2007, 01:01 AM
Well its your body, do to it as you please. Personally I find this tattoo idea a little strange. First have the artist draw it out before you finalize on the looks of it.

collateral
September 7, 2007, 01:08 AM
It's not a joke. Its me blending 2 of my most important political beliefs and presenting it in a way I see fit.

My rights to firearms and my dislike of the UN.

Outlaws
September 7, 2007, 01:14 AM

Just remember that nothing lasts forever (except tatoos lol), and that the UN might one day disappear, or it might one day be a force for good.

But politics are a terrible idea for a tatoo. The gun thing...whatever. That isn't politics really. The UN? That is. Political beliefs change.

helpless
September 7, 2007, 01:23 AM
Middle of the chest is either total badass or gay, not sure.

I say one of each, AR and an m1, though it would take some creative angle to make them take up equal space seeings how the lengths are different.

milo z
September 7, 2007, 01:27 AM
Talk to a few old people with tattoos. How do they look? How do they feel about their ink jobs? With the full benefit of hindsight, would they have done anything differently?

We all get soft and squishy in our old age - but unless you do something really stupid (face and neck tattoos, IMO - unless you're independently wealthy and already married to a supermodel), a tattoo's just a tattoo. It should remind you of where you were at one point in your life, who you were with, etc.. One day it won't look as good, but such is life.

Flak_Jakett
September 7, 2007, 01:38 AM
Ummm... how big is it going to be? I have a tatoo of my nickname on my shoulder blade. I thought about getting one more on my arm. A big herkin tat on a chest is a different story.

I can see a big eagle as being in a tat. Crossed M1 are better the M-16s in my opinion. Though crossed M-60s would be even better. DITCH THE BLUE HELMET IDEA THOUGH. Your getting inked with a NATO kevlar?

Big chest tatoos are kind of gay in my opinion, and if you add a blue nato helmet you might as well add a rainbow to the top of it. Of course, if your gay then this might be the thing for you and I say GO FOR IT!

230RN
September 7, 2007, 02:07 AM
230RN's Rule Of Thumb #726(b) :

ROT 726(b) Never do anything irrevocable if you can avoid it.

(Source: Compendium of Methodologies and Techniques to Stay the Heck Out of Trouble by 230RN. Copyright 1973, 1974, 2007)

I like the artwork, though. Maybe you should print it up and hang it on the wall.

Where it will stay flat and you can take it down.

collateral
September 7, 2007, 02:26 AM
forget I mentioned anything about this I guess.

I didnt expect to catch so much flak for a pro-gun tattoo.

jeepmor
September 7, 2007, 05:35 AM
will probably get you permanently DQ'd from any type of military service

Promise? Now that's good planning. How the hell will a tattoo keep you out of the service, serviceman types have more tattoos than any crowd ever up until tattoos became commonplace in the past few years.

As for the tattoo, go for it, they are more common than ever. Seems there are few people remaining without one. In the middle of your chest though, I wouldn't put it there, maybe on your arm or shoulder.

I like tattoos, just not enough to get one myself. I'm at that age where it's a bit late and I change hobbies to frequently to really get one that fits my personality. It would have to have jeeps, guns, snowboards and power tools on it to make my statement. It's just not my thing, but I do appreciate people's willingness to permanently emblazen a statement on their body.

Particularly Jesse James "pay up sucker" tattoo on his palm.

However, pick the art carefully. My wife and I have a friend that had a flag background on one of her shoulder tattoos and the dork artist got the flag flopped and put the stars on the right hand side of the flag....D'OH!

A garand on one side and an AR on the other to embrace the past and the future might be cool.

Kalashnikov
September 7, 2007, 07:35 AM
Only visable tattoos would preclude you from serving. Thats the new rule now. I had to get all mine that were visable logged.

Tattoos change and fade over time, as do you. That being said, I love my tattoos. They represent things about ME. And if I ever find myself doubting who I am, they serve as a good reminder. And even if I do change, they serve to tell a stroy, about who I was once.

This is on my chest, it doesn't hurt except when the needle hits bone.
http://a246.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/77/l_017db55d38d9c4bcde8a59f791e2e60d.jpg

This is a personal reminder of loss.
http://a522.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/108/l_b983bbbd883fcfcb6255b69671c2eba1.jpg

Four Horsemen M.C.(not gun related but still pretty awesome I think)
http://a882.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/82/l_f7b8bd35df1317ff7a3d8e843bb9efa1.jpg

This is my first, the original artist screwed it up (make sure you see the guys previous work) but thankfully I had it fixed by a far better artisit (also a fellow gunny) free of charge.
http://a795.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/81/l_73a1ca29eb42fa546f996912644dcdb2.jpg

this is my right forearm, since I wear short sleeves everytime I shake someones hand, they see it.
http://a457.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/92/l_a23b52013d1158ebf3e2dbdbb43454d8.jpg

I have a few more I'm getting (specifially 16 more) but those will come in time.

rkh
September 7, 2007, 09:48 AM
Only visable tattoos would preclude you from serving.

Not quite-- Gang-related, racist, or "extremist" tattoos can keep you out no matter where you get them. It's the perforated UN helmets that may be a problem. US forces from time to time operate under UN command.

Muzzy_B
September 7, 2007, 10:12 AM
By God, I hope you're tough. Chest tatts hurt. That one's gonna take a lot of ink.

I say go for it.

armoredman
September 7, 2007, 11:04 AM
My wife has the gun related tattoo.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/kalishnakittytattoo.jpg

win71
September 7, 2007, 11:05 AM
It's not a joke. Its me blending 2 of my most important political beliefs and presenting it in a way I see fit.

It sounds like you have developed quite a strong passion in your political beliefs. Especially considering your young age. At 19 I too had some passionate feelings albeit, not political. Anyway, if you're serious about letting the world know how you stand why put a big tattoo on your chest and cover it with clothes. Shrink that beauty down and put it in the center of your forehead. After all, political statements are only as good as the size of the audience. I can guarantee you everybody will notice it on your head.

Thumper
September 7, 2007, 11:13 AM
forget I mentioned anything about this I guess.

I didnt expect to catch so much flak for a pro-gun tattoo.

You're too sensitive to have a tat like this, seriously.

You won't like hearing this, but as you gain life experience and perspective, you'll wish you'd gotten something less ostentatious. You'll look back on the way 19 year olds express themselves and laugh a little.

Your politics won't change, but the world will. I seriously doubt the UN will be a functioning organization in twenty years.

So you don't think it's just the tat or the concept that bothers me, I have a small, Greek, Molon Labe on my upper bicep. I like it.

CountGlockula
September 7, 2007, 11:19 AM
"XXX" are you in films?

Anyways, it's your body so do what you want to it...make sure you work out.

I think you should put both, M16 and the Garand.

Here's mine: Pin-up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Tatty.jpg

hso
September 7, 2007, 11:24 AM
I'd use the money for ammo or a contribution to an RKBA organization instead, but if you're intent on it go with the eagle with a garand and the m-16.

Smokingboomstick
September 7, 2007, 11:28 AM
Don't do it.

crankshop1000
September 7, 2007, 11:30 AM
I say go for it ,but my suggestion would be to add the four southpark kids holding a variety of weapons.Kinda creepy militia mixed with cute little funmakers! should look good when you're 80.

Browning
September 7, 2007, 11:45 AM
collateral : I went and got my appointment set.

Im getting a big eagle in the center of my chest, modeled after the eagle in this picture:

The eagle will be perched on top of a blue helmet , with several bullet holes in it. The helmet will be on top and in the middle of 2 rifles crossed. I'm torn between the 2 M1 garands and 2 M16s.

I am leaning towards the garands, because not only are they what I consider to be the iconic American firearm, but the wood stocks will go very well with the brown on the eagle.

There will be a banner that comes around over the rifle barrels and hangs down under the helmet, Im thinking of having it say "there is no fear in my heart" OR MOLON LABE.

What do you all think?

I've got a bunch of tattoos so I don't see any problem there, but since this is your first tattoo you might want to get something somewhere else other than the chest. Chest tattoos hurt WAY more than on the arm. Also you might want to think about ditching the light blue helmet idea for a reason that has nothing to do with politics. When tattoos that are light in color age they fade out within a few years and they end up looking kind of crappy and faded out while dark colors tend to stay and the lines stay a little sharper. If you get something light in color you'll end up having to make a trip to the tattoo parlor every few years to get it touched up which is kind of a pain in the ass.

As far as the political idea behind it, I'm fine with that. I love America, I love the way that Eagles look and the symbolism behind it (I've got one myself), I love firearms and I hate the UN as a political organization. Instead of the words though stick with a scene, it looks better and then it looks like art (which is what it is) and you don't end up looking like a billboard. I've got a few words on me and I wish that I would have just stuck with symbolism or scenes. If you just have to get words just get one or two, not a whole sentence. That would be my .02 cents and those are the things that I've learned over the years with having multiple tattoos.

I don't really know the way to broach this next subject so I'll just say it straight out while trying to remain tactful, if you get a VERY large billboard like tattoo on the middle of your chest then when you're making whoopee with your wife/girlfriend in the missionary position or with her on top then that's what's going to be staring her right in the face as it happens. So you might want to keep that in mind when thinking about a chest tattoo. It might be a weird way of thinking about it, but it's true. I've heard a couple women talk about this subject and some don't like something like that is "staring at me the whole time while we're....(you get the point)" (that's a quote by the way from one of my friends wives who was making a semi-serious joke after a few drinks).

If it's a question of which rifle to get crossed behind or above the eagle, go with the Garand or the M14 as they look more classic than the M16/AR system which I think is the look that you're going for. But this advice is worth what you paid for it and it's your body to do with as you see fit.

Autolycus
September 7, 2007, 11:48 AM
Dont do it.

TX1911fan
September 7, 2007, 12:04 PM
It doesn't sound to me that anyone is agaisnt a pro-gun related tatoo, just against this particular tatoo, or against tatoos in general. I generally don't like tatoos, so I'd say don't do it. I'll tell you that a kid on my street turned 18 and immediately went out and got 3 tatoos, big ones, on his chest and shoulder. They are not very good, and kind of cheesy from my perspective. One says "mom" even though he really doesn't like his mom all that much. He was a little rash with his new found freedom, so you may want to just sit back and wait a bit. Think it through, and try and decide if you want THIS particular tatoo (and one this big) for the rest of your life. If so, then go for it. It's your body and to hell with what other people think.

Scorpiusdeus
September 7, 2007, 03:53 PM
G H E T T O

Dr. Peter Venkman
September 7, 2007, 03:57 PM
Why not get the eagle on your arm?

The Grand Inquisitor
September 7, 2007, 04:10 PM
As someone I once knew said, as mullets were to the 80's, tattoo's are to the 90's/00's.

Joking aside, you sound exactly like me when I was 18-20. In fact, I was also planning on getting some pretty inflammatory political tattoo's, but I eventually relented, and now that I am older I can't help but be thankful for NOT getting $1000 worth of tattoo's that would have permanantly marked me as being as dumb as I was when I was 18.

Do yourself a favor, take all of that money (and for something that big, it has to be around 1K) and get some nice clothes and find a good looking woman to go on a date with you. Spend your money lavishly while on the date and I am sure what will happen later that evening will be far more interesting .

And seriously, you never know, you may become very anti-gun or pro-United Nations sometime in the future. Also, I think it's a bad idea to get tattoo's that have anything to do with your hobbies--I love to read, but that doesn't mean I am going to tattoo Sir Salman Rusdie's face on my chest.

RPCVYemen
September 7, 2007, 04:23 PM
I always wanted one with a skull and a snake crawling through the eye sockets and a banner that said "Death Before Dishonor". Over the top, it would have said, "Peace Corps", and under it "Yemen 84-86".

But I figured the joke would have gotten old long before the ink would have faded.

Mike

Dorryn
September 7, 2007, 04:38 PM
I draw all my own tattoos. This is what makes them acceptable for me. Not only do they mark major themes and subjects and philosophies I find important, but the artwork itself is reflective of the artist.

Chest is probably, IMHO, less painful than a back. It will also not look as good. I dont know any man alive who doesnt have or will not get some saggy/hairy problems in the chestal region. I have several reasonably large sized tattoos on my back. They were exceedingly painful (I dont have a lot of surplus fat). Basically, if every fiber of my being didnt deeply support the concepts/philosophies I was tattooing, I would have avoided the experience like the plague. What im saying is, I doubt that your dislike of the U.N. meets the emotional criterion that distinguishes the serious tattooee from the casual flash-art individual who just like the stigma of being one such.

Patrick123
September 7, 2007, 04:52 PM
Here is an article from the Smithosnian Magazine about a new type of tattoo ink.

http://www.smithsonianmagazine.com/issues/2007/january/tattoo-remove.php

Bazooka Joe71
September 7, 2007, 04:57 PM
Welcome to THR Patrick!

I have also heard about this somewhere. Maybe worth looking into.;)

Wheeler44
September 7, 2007, 05:56 PM
I'm trying to think of all of the great ideas I had When I was 19 that are still great 30 years later........................

Nope can't think of any.

Wheeler44

vynx
September 7, 2007, 06:38 PM
If you are still going for it I think Molon Labe or some classy lation phrase would be better than "there is no fear in my heart" it too much to read "No Fear" gets the same point across.

Boomerang
September 7, 2007, 07:49 PM
Consider post #34 carefully.
A thing like that can throw women off concentration.

boredelmo
September 7, 2007, 07:55 PM
Well uh, the OP didn't ask for the opinion of whether or not he should get the tattoo, just what weapons to get.

I'd say garands.

elrod
September 7, 2007, 08:13 PM
........there ain't enough whiskey.......

The Viking
September 7, 2007, 08:17 PM
"XXX" are you in films?
"XXX" is a symbol for the straight edge movement/straight edge hardcore punk scene.

Slinger
September 7, 2007, 08:21 PM
Appointment for a tattoo? In my day you just woke uo hung over wondering where the hell did that come from?

The Viking
September 7, 2007, 08:23 PM
Chest is probably, IMHO, less painful than a back.
Speaking as someone who has tattoos on my arm, chest, back and stomach, the chest was the most painful ever. Though I'd do it again if needed :).

wheelgunslinger
September 7, 2007, 08:39 PM
I waited until I was 30 for various reasons before getting my first tattoo.
I recommend that as a good starting place.

Anyway, you didn't ask my opinion on to get it or not. You asked about garands or 16's.
1 of each will represent American riflery through some of the greatest campaigns of the 20th century.

magsnubby
September 7, 2007, 11:58 PM
You like it? You want it? You have the money for it? Then get it.

I would go with the M1 for a classic look. For something a little more contemporary i would go with M-16's.

I'm working on my next tat. It'll be a coiled rattle snake that turns into a skeleton from the waist up, holding a smoking M-16.

Malice
September 8, 2007, 01:58 AM
My back tattoo only really hurt when they went over my spine. Talk about jarring!

Flak_Jakett
September 8, 2007, 01:41 PM
Oh wait!!! I missed the point of the helmet being perforated with holes. I now see the symbolism of your dislike of NATO.

-1 to me for not catching your drift.

I like the snakes in the skull tat.
+1 for that one.

Don Gwinn
September 8, 2007, 02:04 PM
Three weeks after you get it done, the U.N. will announce that they're doing away with the blue helmets.

The only thing I ever considered having inked onto my body that still seems like I might want to do it one day is "TANSTAAFL."

Frankly, printed T-shirts are cheap.

Joe Demko
September 8, 2007, 02:06 PM
I have four tats, and I have to say...don't do it. Too big. Too elaborate and not likely to age well. Too tied to something that fires you up right now, but may not in the future.

Another thing, tats with guns and skulls and knives and death imagery in them largely come off as a way of saying "Look at ME! I'm a tough guy!" The only exception to this is if you have a tat with such imagery in it that is directly related to a military unit in which you actually served.

Simple designs in darker colors located on parts of the body that keep their shape as you age are a better bet for a tat that will last and you won't regret.

Outlaws
September 8, 2007, 03:30 PM
Don, its actually TINSTAAFL. But if you like the word ain't, then I ain't gonna stop you. Its just that the first thing most people who see it are going to think is, "wow. he misspelled his tattoo."

welldoya
September 8, 2007, 03:34 PM
I just don't understand. It's beyond me why anybody would get a tattoo. I could halfway understand it if maybe you were a Navy Seal or Army Ranger and wanted to commemorate that or maybe even if you climbed Mt.Everest but most of the tattoos I see are just stupid. I mean, are the girls really so into butterflies that they need one on the small of their back ? Are dolphins or barbed wire at the center of your universe ?
I know all the kids want one so they can show their individuality (like all the others that have them) but In 30 years, there are going to be a LOT of middle-aged adults around who are going to look mighty silly and wish they had never done it.
It doesn't affect me so go for it but trust me on this, you don't look at things the same way when you are 50 as you do when you are in your 20s so I would not get anything permanent.

Hobie
September 8, 2007, 03:37 PM
I never got any tatoos because it only makes it easier for the bad guys to ID me. I'm only half joking. I understand (apocryphal?) that VN soldiers with Sat Cong on their bodies were so tattooed to committ them to the cause. Captured they would be executed. As I said, I'm not sure if it is true but I wouldn't waste the money on a for sure ID...

earplug
September 8, 2007, 04:18 PM
While I don't like Tattoo's. The AR15's will show better with age due to there shape. And the AR class of weapons have served longer in the USA then any other rifle.

MikePGS
September 8, 2007, 04:32 PM
Don, its actually TINSTAAFL. But if you like the word ain't, then I ain't gonna stop you.
Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but as a Heinlein fan i'd have to say that TANSTAAFL is the original version and the other version is simply made to have it be more grammatically correct.

As for the tattoo, I'd say that i like the idea of having both an M1 and a M16, but i'm sure ultimately you'll decide exactly what you want. Whatever you end up getting be sure to post so we can see how it turns out.

pharmer
September 8, 2007, 04:45 PM
In about 40 years it will look like a buzzard and chopsticks on your belly. Joe

armoredman
September 8, 2007, 05:47 PM
HA, pharmer, good one!

jefnvk
September 8, 2007, 06:46 PM
The only one I have ever entertained is somethign like Kalishnakov's MOLON one. It'll happen one of these days.

Personally, I'd go with Garands. Don't worry about what people say, certainly listen to their advice and learn from their mistakes, but if you want one, go get one.

strambo
September 8, 2007, 07:31 PM
I got my 1st and only last year at 32 yo. No regrets, I am very happy. I thought long and hard about it for 8 months though. I would implore you to listen to the comments about the UN helmet and large chest positioning.

Just to answer your question: Garands, "molon labe" or no words.

Leanwolf
September 8, 2007, 07:41 PM
I have a good friend who was a Navy SEAL, Vietnam service. Once, the subject of tattoos came up. He didn't have any and didn't ever want any.

He told me that when he went through BUD/S, they were ordered that while in active duty, to never get a SEAL badge tattoo, nor to have any kind of tattoo that would identify them as a SEAL. Of course, most of those SEALs at that time were training to go to Vietnam, and their instructors didn't want them identified as "special operators."

In those days of the Vietnam War, the Navy's SEALs were a far more "secret" outfit than they are today.

FWIW.

L.W.

David904
September 8, 2007, 11:53 PM
Don't do it. Have the design printed on a t shirt or something like that. If you really feel that strongly about the subject, then take the money you were going to use on your tattoo and send it toward a political organization that advances issues you support.

saspic
September 9, 2007, 02:11 AM
Have you applied the "One Year Rule"? You're supposed to wait a full year with a specific tattoo in mind before committing to etching the design permanently onto your body.
If you change the design or body location during the wait, start the clock over from the beginning.
If you change the design multiple times, maybe the tattoo idea isn't such a great idea and you should shelve it until a later period in your life...
For the past five years or so, I've wanted tattoos of a few Aztec gods on my forearms. I always wear longsleeves at work, so they would only show on social occasions. I have to do more research, though, and there never seems to be enough time.:p
Oh, and if you do follow through, I vote for one of each; Garand and M-16

Dan Forrester
September 9, 2007, 02:35 AM
A couple years ago I was with my friend at Starbucks getting a coffee after class. My friend is mostly covered with tattoos but normally all that is visible is his left sleeved arm. We strike up a conversation with a nice lady in her early 40s and the conversation leads to tattoos. She makes some comment about how when you get old your tattoos will fade. My friend looks her in the eyes and says: When Im eighty years old, Ill be worried about taking a dump; not my tattoos fading!!!.

Speaking as someone who has no tattoos himself I would say either drop $20,000 - $30,000 grand, wait a couple years and have it done right, or dont get it done at all.

It seems to me 90% of the tattoos out there look like #$%^. New, old, whatever, they just look bad! And nearly all tattoo conversations devolve into I know this guy who does all my tattoos for thirty bucks man! or some other similar nonsense.

Were it me, I would (and someday might), fly over to Japan and spend a couple weeks with the guys at Yellow Blaze Tattoo Studio and have a full or partial body suit done more or less along the lines of traditional Yakuza tattoos, but with more depth.

These are tattoos: http://www.yellowblaze.net/gallery/jn_comp/index.html

Do it right, or dont do it at all!

Dan

bsf
September 9, 2007, 03:47 AM
A couple years ago I was with my friend at Starbucks getting a coffee after class. My friend is mostly covered with tattoos but normally all that is visible is his left sleeved arm. We strike up a conversation with a nice lady in her early 40s and the conversation leads to tattoos. She makes some comment about how when you get old your tattoos will fade. My friend looks her in the eyes and says: When Im eighty years old, Ill be worried about taking a dump; not my tattoos fading!!!.

Speaking as someone who has no tattoos himself I would say either drop $20,000 - $30,000 grand, wait a couple years and have it done right, or dont get it done at all.

It seems to me 90% of the tattoos out there look like #$%^. New, old, whatever, they just look bad! And nearly all tattoo conversations devolve into I know this guy who does all my tattoos for thirty bucks man! or some other similar nonsense.

Were it me, I would (and someday might), fly over to Japan and spend a couple weeks with the guys at Yellow Blaze Tattoo Studio and have a full or partial body suit done more or less along the lines of traditional Yakuza tattoos, but with more depth.

These are tattoos: http://www.yellowblaze.net/gallery/jn_comp/index.html

Do it right, or dont do it at all!

Dan
Those tatoos are amazing artwork. Still, I think the best body decoration/statement is a nice physique.

aaronrkelly
September 9, 2007, 04:53 AM
I have a few.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/Tattoos/akarm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/Tattoos/gijanearm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/Tattoos/libertyarm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/Tattoos/legtattoo.jpg

As much as Im a M1 Garand lover (see pinup tattoo) I think the M16 (AR15) is the way to go with your tattoo.

prism
September 9, 2007, 06:05 AM
Marines, tatoos, http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,262080,00.html

bulltaco
September 9, 2007, 09:54 AM
I've been fascinated by this genre of artwork ever since I was a little kid listening to my uncles talk about their service in WWII. Two weeks ago I got my first one at the age of 53. Just realize that it's a permanent adornment and you got to live with that. I am already thinking about my next one. The constellation Orion, The Hunter!

rust collector
September 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
Tattoos are very effective at labelling you. They insure that those who don't agree with one or more of your human bumper stickers can write you off without further consideration. And they greatly simplify police ID.

I recognize that they have become somewhat fashionable recently, but it's tough to escape their association with prison, gangs and tribal feudalism. If you want to marginalize yourself right off the bat, this'll get 'er done.

If we didn't care about you, we'd shut up.

wheelgunslinger
September 9, 2007, 02:17 PM
I just don't understand. It's beyond me why anybody would get a tattoo. I could halfway understand it if maybe you were a Navy Seal or Army Ranger and wanted to commemorate that or maybe even if you climbed Mt.Everest but most of the tattoos I see are just stupid. I mean, are the girls really so into butterflies that they need one on the small of their back ? Are dolphins or barbed wire at the center of your universe ?
I know all the kids want one so they can show their individuality (like all the others that have them) but In 30 years, there are going to be a LOT of middle-aged adults around who are going to look mighty silly and wish they had never done it.
It doesn't affect me so go for it but trust me on this, you don't look at things the same way when you are 50 as you do when you are in your 20s so I would not get anything permanent.

Very good advice. Most people don't stop and think enough when they're getting tattoos and they don't bother to learn what a GOOD tattoo looks like with respect to artistic fundamentals, or what a shop should be doing to protect YOU from any kind of disease transfer.
Waiting a year to get one, interviewing artists and looking through their portfolios, and learning what sterile and clean really mean and how they should be applied to tattoo studios are all things to be learned before you get one.
There are a lot of really BAD looking barbed wire tattoos, tweety birds, dolpins, wolves, and butterflies out there. And, shows like Miami Ink (and now Kat VonD's new show...) don't help.

Give it time. Do your homework. Or, live with regret.

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearm tattoo in 2 weeks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!