Minor SHTF Scenario--What'll you bring?

PDA

Skunkabilly
January 9, 2003, 02:45 AM
Scenario--your home will likely be consumed by a natural disaster such as a flood or large fire, and you must evacuate. You can bring one long gun, one sidearm, and one knife with you in the car while you wait it out somewhere safe on the road, and things to return to normal, assuming you have a place left.

What'll they be? You are limited to one of each, and a one sentence reason why. No laundry lists! Just a question to see what arms people rely on the most and dedicated the most training to. Let's be realistic, most of the car will be filled w/ your family and food and water, not ammo for fighting off hordes like in Black Hawk Down.

1. M1A--my only rifle, so obviously that's what I know the best.
2. Beretta 92--the most trigger time behind her out of everything else I have.
3. Emerson Mini-Commander--while I have no formal edged training as of yet, it's the only quality knife I have.

If you enjoyed reading about "Minor SHTF Scenario--What'll you bring?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Phyphor
January 9, 2003, 02:54 AM
My M-1 Garand, due to the fact that it's been 100% reliable, I've NEVER had it jam, and ammo is cheap and easy to come by, my Glock 19, as that is again, my most reliable pistol, and as for knife...hmmm... Actually, any of the tactical folders I have around would serve.

Scoob
January 9, 2003, 03:26 AM
I only have 3 guns: G22, single shot 12ga, and BL22 lever action .22, and my 1 and only buck knife. I guess I'd take all but the 12ga. A single shot probably wouldn't be to useful for fending off "hordes", and the 22 would allow for more ammo for possible hunt-for-food situations. It could also be a last resort defence gun. Now if my shottie were pump, auto, or even Dbl...

Not great, but thats the best that I would have to work with.

sixgun_symphony
January 9, 2003, 03:26 AM
Its a natural disaster and not a military situation. The only problems encountered will likely be common thieves.

Ithaca M37 12ga for the jeep

Colt Cobra .38 snubbie for CCW.

My spyderco clipit knife is always worn in my front pants pocket.

dave
January 9, 2003, 04:22 AM
Have to pick only one long arm you say? Hmmmmm, have to pick eithr rife or shotgun. Most likey take the rifle.

Long Arm........AR-15

Side Arm.........Glock 21

Knife........Cold Steel Rescue

telewinz
January 9, 2003, 06:45 AM
Folding Stock Valmet 223(lots of firepower), Kel-Tec P11(small but effective), Swiss type army knife with all the bells and whistles.

tlhelmer
January 9, 2003, 06:54 AM
Glock 35, Bushy AR-15 and my Emerson CQC-7.

Does that mean my other guns will be destroyed?:eek:

techmike
January 9, 2003, 07:04 AM
AR-15, USP-Tactical and my Microtech lcc/da...Dang I may be a tactical poser after all.:confused:

JMLV
January 9, 2003, 08:12 AM
colt 1911 45 acp
ruger 10/22 22 auto
Mossberg 835 12 gage
(propably skneek in myn bodyguard and officers acp as well thy fit in my pockets)
Now as to truth:
as long as I have a handtruck and a van (which I do)I plan to take as much of my collection as I have time to grap! handguns can be easily piled in a 48 qt cooler and wheeled out two coolers at a time. Rifles fit inn the golf bag and can be easily trundled out as well. I won't get all the long guns - way too many, but I will get the complete handgun collection in this manner.
I couldnt leave my "friends" behind to be destroyed.
Oh yeah its a given the dogs are coming too!
SORRY I FORGOT THE KNIVES!
WILL STICK TO WHAT I USUALLY CARRY EVERY DAY:
1)SMALL SWISS ARMY ON KEYCHAIN
2) LEATHERMAN "WAVE" TOOL
3) NEW SPYDERCO CLIPIT "AYOOB MODEL"

Jack19
January 9, 2003, 08:16 AM
AR15, Glock 19 with G17 mags.

Spoonman
January 9, 2003, 08:20 AM
OK, in a 'bug-out' situation I'd pick (this week):

(1) long gun - Marlin 1894c .357 mag
compact, fair power, good magazine capacity, tends to cause
less excitability in civil authorities, continuity of ammunition
with....

(2) handgun - Ruger SP101 .357 mag
concealability, power

(3) knife - Spyderco Delica

Next week, the list might be different.

Clif

Rupestris
January 9, 2003, 08:21 AM
Handgun - Kimber Custom Target II
Long gun - Remington 870 Express Magnum
Knife - Just my Gerber Multi-Tool

Rupe

2dogs
January 9, 2003, 08:26 AM
870 Shotgun- the only long gun I own

.357 Magnum (4" Ruger GP100 or 6" Taurus- figure they'll last longer than one of the semi's)

Swiss army- what do I know about knives:)

foghornl
January 9, 2003, 08:26 AM
If this is a short-term thing..flood, landslide, tornado, etc..

The M1 for a long gun

handgun is the KP-90 Ruger I like my new Springfield Champion 1911-A1, but haven't shot it enough yet.

Knife is my fixed long blade deer-skinner.

Double Naught Spy
January 9, 2003, 08:41 AM
Every time I see people after some sort of disaster who were limited to what they were able to get out, it was usually due to really poor planning on their parts. This is especially true for disasters where they knew they were coming such as being told floods were on the way (south Texas, states along the Mississippi), that fire was coming (last year's western US), or that a lava flow was going to destroy the whole neighborhood (Hawaii, sometimes taking a week or more to reach the predicted disaster area of homes). Most of the folks refused to act until the very last moment and then said stupid stuff on TV like "I can't believe this happened," or "They said it was coming, but we really didn't think it would happen to us," or "With all the warning we had, I would have thought they would have been able to stop the fires before they got here and now we have lost everything but what is in the back of the truck. Thank God we were able to get the pets out in time."

After that, I can't see any natural disaster that would limit you to one rifle, pistol, and knife. Under what circumstances is this any more likely to happen than being invaded by Martians?

Med 10
January 9, 2003, 08:53 AM
Thats a tuffy!

Long gun, Winchester 1300
Hangun, G-17
knife, how about my gerber multitool.

It would be hard for me to choose between a carbine or a shotgun. I also have an SKS that I really like a lot.

Joe Demko
January 9, 2003, 09:23 AM
Natural disaster consuming house? Children and wife (in that order) are priorities. Screw the gun collection. It can be replaced.

Not sure that all the hardware you describe is necessary in a natural disaster, but I'll answer it as asked.

1. Rifle- Bushmaster 16" fluted Vmatch carbine- It's light, reliable, and accurate.
2. HK USP 40- it's already on my duty belt with extra magazines and other useful goodies; just buckle it on and go.
3. Knife- always have a Spyderco police model in my pocket.

By default, I woud also end up toting along a .32 Guardian since it is always in my pocket and a Victorinox Swisstool that is always in my car. Other tools and supplies are also stored in the car.

TheeBadOne
January 9, 2003, 10:05 AM
Long gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle 12 ga

Pistol: Glock 27

Knife: S&W full size S.W.A.T. (I have others, but this one is always clipped to my pocket, so I'd have it w/me no matter what/when)

Jesse H
January 9, 2003, 10:18 AM
No tactical reasons Skunk? Pshh.

-Don't own any long arms yet

-I'd bring my HS2000 9mm. I've sent approx 3500 rounds thru it in about a year and a half, I'm most familiar with it. Plus I still have about half a case of ammo for it (time to re-stock).

-Although I my only carry knife is a Kershaw Black-Out, I think the Swiss Army Victorinox would come in more handy.

H Romberg
January 9, 2003, 10:18 AM
Gerber tool and Python in briefcase, Mossberg Defender under back seat.

AmericanFreeBird
January 9, 2003, 10:29 AM
Hmmm, probably these.

Mini-14 in synthetic stock w/ the 5rd and a couple of "normal" cap 30rd magazines.

CZ75B in 9mm, too reliable and too accurate!

My trusty folding Buck...

HS/LD
January 9, 2003, 11:19 AM
FN FAL

H&K USP Compact

Cold Steel Recon Tanto

HS/LD

Salpalinja
January 9, 2003, 11:35 AM
G3
USP9
Sissipuukko M/95

RCL
January 9, 2003, 11:37 AM
What to take?
For a long gun it would be my Marlin 30-30 lever gun, a good game getter/country boy assault rifle,with plenty of Remington 150 gr. ammo. You can get that stuff anywhere.
The handgun would be my Ruger 4" GP100 .357, with a bunch of the Federal 158 soft points, a cheap readily available load this gun likes.
The knife would be my Buck General, since my Buck 110 folder is always in the truck anyhow.
I think I would find a place for a good belt axe also.

Chris Rhines
January 9, 2003, 11:37 AM
Rifle - I'd probably leave it in favor of more important things, like food, water, batteries, and signaling devices. If I took a rifle, it would probably be my Anschutz .22 Sporter. Light, accurate, ammo is easy to find and I can pack a lot of it.

Pistol - CZ-75, the one I usually carry.

Knife - CRKT Ryan Plan B, the one I usually carry.

- Chris

gburner
January 9, 2003, 11:47 AM
Smith and Wesson 12 ga. pump shotty with
7 round tube.

1911A1

Greber multi tool......though I always keep a machete, short handle axe and spade in the back of the jeep.

hso
January 9, 2003, 12:05 PM
Does that mean I have to take the knives and gun already in the car out?

mtnbkr
January 9, 2003, 12:27 PM
Longgun: Rem 870 12ga
Handgun: Ruger Gp100 4"
Knife: (besides what's already in the vehicle and on my person) Fixed blade hunting knife

The SUV already has a dufflebag with food, water, blanket, some spare parts, and recovery gear. I'd also be inclined to grab my camp box which has all the stuff you need to camp out for a night or three less the sleeping bags and extra food (there's usually a freeze dried camp meal or two in it though).

Chris

whoami
January 9, 2003, 12:57 PM
Long gun: Easy, Bushmaster XM15-E2S-M4 16" with Aimpoint. The only other long gun I currently have is an M70 Stealth in .308, and I think the need for fast 50-100 yard shots would be much more prevalent than the need for 100+ precision shots. Lighter, easier to carry, easier to reload.

Sidearm: Walther P99 in 9mm. Course, it's the only one I have. In three months this would change to a USP Tactical.

Knife: Well, I carry a CKRT folder everywhere (hooked on the flap of front pocket, body inside pocket) except for showering and sleeping....so I'd say the machete.

I've got a full road safety kit in the car, and usually 7-10 1 gallon water jugs and tons of canned food in the garage next to it, so I'd be good to go. Though I REALLY need to get around to putting together a BOB...

556A2
January 9, 2003, 12:58 PM
My Mosin-Nagant since its my only rifle

CZ-75B for sidearm

Swiss Army knife for praticality

Ian
January 9, 2003, 01:10 PM
Once the other necessities were in the car, I'd grab my Daewoo K-2 (theres the rifle), it's Beta-C mag (there's no such thing as too much ammo), a carton of .223 ammo, and the Daewoo's bayonet (there's the knive). My Sistema 1911 would already be on my belt; I'd just grab a couple boxes of ammo for it. If I felt like it was a particularly dangerous situation, I'd make sure that one of my parents had my 12ga coach gun as well.

Tamara
January 9, 2003, 01:18 PM
...this is kinda silly, as I normally exceed your handgun limit by one and your knife limit by two whether any S is Hing TF or not.

This would play out one of two ways:

Scenario One: My roommate is home) Into the back of his Dakota I load all my rifles, as many handguns as I have cases for, and my knives (which have been dumped into a bag). Lastly, I'd unplug my oldest PC from all the peripherals and toss the tower in the pax accomodations, as there's data on the hard drive that'd be hard to replace. We motor off.

Scenario Two: My roommate is not home) The EBRs and the Ruger No.1 go into the trunk of the roadster. The Martini and the Krag go in the passenger seat, because among my old milsurps, those'd be hardest to replace (leaving behind the Eddystone 1917 and the '43 byf 98k would be hard, but que sera, sera). The knives get dumped into a bag and go into the passenger seat along with all the cased handguns that would be difficult or impossible to replace (1911s, P7M8, sentimental G30, Performance Center and customized revolvers). Lastly, I'd unplug my oldest PC from all the peripherals and toss the tower in the pax accomodations, as there's data on the hard drive that'd be hard to replace. I motor off.

For the fictional and improbable scenario: I grab my HK91, my Springfield Pro and my Ken Onion custom, as those three items represent a measurable percentage of my net worth.

Wylycoyte
January 9, 2003, 01:29 PM
MAK-90: light, handy, lots o' rounds, tough as a warthog and almost as pretty

.38 bodyguard airweight-if I'm wearing pants, I have this on me anyway.

Spyderco Endura-as with the bodyguard, it's always there.

MPFreeman
January 9, 2003, 01:29 PM
We grab the B.O.B.'s and a 12ga shotty pump and an M1A, load youngen's in van.....Bug Out.

Since I'd be CCW already with at least one 1911 and extra ammo is in the B.O.B., I don't worry about it.

Same for knives.

firestar
January 9, 2003, 01:45 PM
This is fun because I have to really think what long arm I would take. I have three that would be perfect, Rem 870 HD 12ga, SAR-1 AK, Colt SP1 Ar-15. I think I would choose the Colt AR-15 because I looks just as menacing as the other two but I can also hit at long range if needed. I think just the sight of someone with an AK or AR-15 will make the looters look for easier pickings.;)

My pistol would be my Beretta 92fs with nite sights. It has three OEM hi-caps and has never failed except once which was my fault.:o

The knife would be just my edc, a Benchmade 885sbt Dark Star, it is not tactical or anything but it is light and the blade is thin enough to really use, so many "tactical" knives are so thick that if you ever tried to cut anything, it would be more like log splitting. :rolleyes:

2nd Amendment
January 9, 2003, 01:51 PM
The SPAS, whichever Springfield .45 was handy and whichever folder happened to be in my pocket.

Hey, I've got a big truck, why am I stuck with just one of each?! :scrutiny:

Hutch
January 9, 2003, 02:46 PM
Hmmm...

Rem 870 w/ 18.5" rifle-sighted bbl, the S&W M66, and my Victorinox Explorer. Too few, but it'd do.

Viking6
January 9, 2003, 02:58 PM
Bushmaster Shorty, S&W 459, Leatherman.

BamBam
January 9, 2003, 02:59 PM
Long gun: AR-15 because it's the most expensive long gun I have. Also have battlepacks ready to go.

Handgun: Glock G-22 because it's my favorite and most expensive (Lasermax, Meps, 5 full capacity mags).

Knife: Leatherman SuperTool because I could rebuild an engine or perform brain surgery with it if I had to.

Skunkabilly
January 9, 2003, 03:00 PM
r the fictional and improbable scenario: I grab my HK91, my Springfield Pro and my Ken Onion custom, as those three items represent a measurable percentage of my net worth.

Roommate, upon coming home and finding you're gone:

"She took the HK91." :D

DMK
January 9, 2003, 03:12 PM
CZ-75 with one mag in it plus four more I keep nearby and either the 12ga Mossy Persuader with 7 in the tube and 6 more on the buttcuff or Marlin Camp Carbine with one mag in it, two more on the buttcuff and two more in a pouch nearby.

Most likely it would be the carbine since it's lighter, handier and shares ammo with the pistol.

I already keep all kinds of various folders, leatherman or swiss army knives, and machetes in both cars.

ARGarrison
January 9, 2003, 03:34 PM
One long arm, that's tough. Rifle or Shotgun? Most likely rifle that means: Mini-14. Can carry many more rounds of .223 Rem than 12 gauge for same weight.

Pistol easy: S&W 686-4"

Knife know it's tough again, B.O.B. has two in it, folder and fixed. A leather man is on my pistol belt. I ussualy have a Gerber folder in pocket, and their is at least one folder all ready in the truck.

GhostShooter
January 9, 2003, 03:38 PM
#1 .357 Revolver

#2 12 Ga shotgun

#3 K-Bar knife

If you can't kill it (hunting or combat) with one of these three then leave it alone.

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/2M16.gif

Mr. Hankey
January 9, 2003, 03:47 PM
Long arm, either my 7+1 Mossy or SAR-1 depending on situation.

pistol = G17 ( I know it won't let me down)

Folder = Spyderco (this one's easy, it's the only decent folder I own)

Ewok_Guy
January 9, 2003, 03:50 PM
Mossy 590 w/ bayonet
Springfield 1911

bogie
January 9, 2003, 04:16 PM
Assuming SHTF, I'd cheat. My (expensive) bench rifle would go in the trunk, and I'd grab my Bushy and my sxs 12 gauge. Whatever knives would probably _just_ be whatever would be in my pockets...

Bainx
January 9, 2003, 06:20 PM
Long gun-- SKS
Sidearm-- Glock 30
Knife-- Benchmade

charleym3
January 9, 2003, 06:28 PM
Rossi Stainless 92SRC and Ruger Stainless GP-100. .357 mag. Don't need anything but ammo and only one kind. KISS. And a Gerber lock blade. (I'm not edged weapon trained).

Sactown
January 9, 2003, 06:58 PM
Hmmm...assuming that my house might be washed away, blown away, or burned away.

Rifle:

1) My Blaser R93 Tactical -- um, because it cost me an arm and a leg.

2) My STI Trojan -- um, because it cost me an arm and a leg.

3) Super Deluxe Swiss Army Knife -- haven't you seen MacGyver?

JeepDriver
January 9, 2003, 08:20 PM
The Bug out bag, the AK, and the BHP

MessedUpMike
January 9, 2003, 08:42 PM
I'm supossed to be keeping a kit handy to get along for 72 hours under my own power (LDS thing). In said kit My ammo is already packed so I'm committed on my choices. They would be my AR-15, and my CZ-75, I carry a Gerber GatorMate so I guess that becomes my knife in question. Dern that was to easy.

chaim
January 9, 2003, 09:34 PM
Pistol: CZ 75B. My .357s are probably easier to replace now that new CZs can't be brought into the state and I do love the CZ.

Rifle: Marlin Model 60. It is the only one in the house, the rest are in my storage unit. If I happened to have them all in the same place it would probably be my Winchester 94 in 30-30.

Knife: The only good one I have, the 3" Kershaw.

waterdog
January 9, 2003, 09:36 PM
A 22 LR carbine, 3 mags, 500 rounds of ammo, and a marine fighting knife.

waterdog

hso
January 9, 2003, 10:00 PM
floods can't reach my place (or Tamara's or Ren's either), tornados aren't much of a problem here, forrest fire might be a potential problem {the pine beetles did a number on the woods}, but I'd just haul things to the lake

P14
SP1 in M4 drag with the Blackhawk vest
so many knives, so little time ohhh, grab the Ken Onion (first litter of speed safes) {the wheels have more functional knives in them already}

Zorro
January 9, 2003, 10:27 PM
Savage M-110 7MM Mag. "I saved my deer" [Subliminal Thought!] Sniper Rifle. :evil:

Colt 1911, GI issue except for the Sights. [Subliminal Thought!] Still as good a defense pistol as you can get AND! I can protest that it is a "Curio and Relic." :evil:

Cold Steel Tanto. Just a Hunting knife! [Subliminal Thought!] Punches through armor and sharper than a Razor! :evil:

mgjohn
January 9, 2003, 10:46 PM
Colt AR M-4 shorty 223/556 cal

Colt Gold Cup 45acp

Cold Steel Tanto

Gewehr98
January 9, 2003, 10:51 PM
Probably bring nothing. I'd try to use the best intel available to avoid the whole schmear by a large radius.

But I'd tell my ex-wife something big was going down, and that she needed to go check it out. :evil:

twoblink
January 9, 2003, 11:04 PM
M1A ~ Of course!
Steyr M40 ~ my other baby
A nice cleaver...

Uncle Ethan
January 10, 2003, 12:12 AM
Per your senario-

870 LH 12 guage mag w/24 " bbl & ext mag

my 1933 Colt Commercial Red China carry piece .45 acp

My Cattaraugus 225Q- All because they fit your senario-

-BUT- As I am with my family in the Tahoe, my 14 year old son would have had the same time to equip- he would take-

His Mini-14 .223

His 1911 Commercial .45

His Cattaraugus 225Q

-AND-

My Wife would have her Ruger 10/22 bull barrel w/ hotlips mags

Her S&W model 10 sq but 2" bbl .38 spl

No knife for her- not her style-- Then because it's kali, we'd be arrested for refusing to be a victim [ felony in Kali].:D

yayarx7
January 10, 2003, 12:35 AM
SKS
Norinco 1911
Camillus USMC

But then I would already have my Blackout and Supertool on me at the time, and probably my model 85.

Will Fennell
January 10, 2003, 12:37 AM
The good stuff is already pre positioned:cool:

The AR, the current fav 1911, probally a BK&T Combat Bowie.....

BTW, HSO[Mikie], for TEOTWAWKI, are you supposed to come to the farm, or do I have to cross the mountains to Tn?:scrutiny:

:neener:

Talk to you soon buddy, and take care of my "other family"

hso
January 10, 2003, 05:30 PM
Will,

If you're on the west side you know you always have a bug house to roost at until we can figure out what Monkey Boy Guido is doing. If we're on the east side we'll head for "the farm" and expect you and Big Wally to ask first and shoot questioners later.

Michaela says "Hi" to Unca Will. Gwen's not "allowed" to speak your name anymore (especially after moaning it at the WRONG moment!!!).

Hugs'nKisses

Monkeyboy Kville.

spacemanspiff
January 10, 2003, 05:35 PM
i only have one rifle, a Mauser 98, so i'd have to take that.
and i dont have a shotgun (yet) but its going to be a winchester 1300.
and my steyr M9.

only one knife? thats a tough one. dont have any really good ones (yet).

Soap
January 10, 2003, 06:11 PM
Me- 700P or AR, 1911, CRKT Companion
Wife- Benelli or AR, Gerber Mark II

12.7x99mm
January 10, 2003, 06:33 PM
Id make sure my safe was secure and then I would call my insurance agency and get a room at a hotel. Paid for. While I help out with clean up and getting my stuff back together.

The only gun Id take would be my 45. I have that with me regardless of any situation.

45R
January 11, 2003, 11:32 AM
Rifle: None: Looking into a Remington 700 model at this time
Pistol: Walther P99 9mm (most trigger time behind it)
Knife: Benchmade 750 Pinnacle
I'd have to bring my trust Surefire 6P

If you enjoyed reading about "Minor SHTF Scenario--What'll you bring?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!