Input needed regarding CCW license

PDA

Saturnine
September 8, 2007, 12:42 AM
I really want to get my CCW license, and I'm almost 21. However, I'm not sure if now is the best time to do it. I'm currently a college student (living off campus) so I couldnt carry most of the time, and I'll graduate in another year. I'll be a wildlife technician for a while after that, and probably need to move around a lot for the next few years. I live in NY, and as I understand it, we dont have reciprocity with many other states, so I'd likely have to reapply each time I move. I've considered getting a nonresident license from a state with decent reciprocity as well as a NY one, but I'm not sure if that would work.

The expense is another thing that'll kill me. I've never shot a pistol before, but so far I like the look/history of the 1911 with the Beretta 92 and would like to go with one of the two if they feel comfortable. I can afford the gun, range time, and ammunition, but the $200 in fees to get the permit would most likely put me over my limit. How absurd is it that I have to pay $200 to exercise my right to defend myself?

I'm not asking you guys to tell me what to do, but I am curious to hear what you would do in my situation. If you've had a similar situation I'd love to hear about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Input needed regarding CCW license" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mannix
September 8, 2007, 12:46 AM
Step one is getting a pistol and becoming proficient with it, worry about the carry later.

JMHO.

Saturnine
September 8, 2007, 12:55 AM
I wouldnt necessarily be carrying it right away. In NY I have to get the permit just to own one, and the various states I may end up temporarily living in may have similar requirements.

JLStorm
September 8, 2007, 02:57 AM
Step one is getting a pistol and becoming proficient with it, worry about the carry later.

Yup, by the time you are proficient enough with the pistol to carry it you will have had a bit of time to help you make up your mind.

Monkeybear
September 8, 2007, 03:49 AM
Buy a gun. Learn to shoot. Get your permit.

If cash is a problem then get a .22lr, the money you save on ammo while learning to shoot will be enough to get your permit(s) and buy any noncollectable handgun you want.

Brian Williams
September 8, 2007, 04:18 AM
First get your gun, if money is to be an object, get a good 9mm. A good 9mm will allow you to shoot more because of cheaper practice ammo. If you like a Beretta, look also at CZs and a BHP
Also look at a 22 conversion for your gun, it then keeps the same controls but uses really cheap 22lr to shoot.
A Florida non-resident permit is one of the best for being able to carry most anywhere.

MRIman
September 8, 2007, 06:12 AM
He is in NY!!!
HE must aply for a permit,wait,wait wait.
Once he gets a permit he may buy a handgun.

MRI

AntiqueCollector
September 8, 2007, 11:16 AM
Step 1: Move to Vermont or (insert free state of your choice here).

Step 2: buy any handgun you want, without permits, and maybe even without needing one to carry it.

But if you're really intent or must stay in NY, either save up more money, or buy a less expensive gun. I honestly don't have a problem with 1911's, but I'd go with a revolver for your first handgun. Just my opinion though...if you want a semi-auto, I'd go with a 9mm to start with just so you can practic more with it, despite the .45 being better.

Aguila Blanca
September 8, 2007, 10:47 PM
I live in NY, and as I understand it, we dont have reciprocity with many other states, so I'd likely have to reapply each time I move. I've considered getting a nonresident license from a state with decent reciprocity as well as a NY one, but I'm not sure if that would work.
I don't believe NY has reciprocity with any state, but there are a few states out west that will honor any state's permit/license, regardless of a lack of reciprocity. And Vermont and Alaska, of course, don't require permits at all.

As to getting a non-resident license from another state, that works fine if you're traveling through a state. Most states will not allow their own residents to carry on a non-resident permit from another state. Missouri did, when their new CCW law was first enacted, but that was a glitch in ht elaw and I believe the loophole was closed the following year.

garymc
September 8, 2007, 11:36 PM
Missouri did, when their new CCW law was first enacted, but that was a glitch in ht elaw and I believe the loophole was closed the following year.
Not a glitch and Missourians can still use out of state permits. In fact, a person from Illinois can get a Florida or Utah permit and carry in Missouri.

CNYCacher
September 8, 2007, 11:45 PM
Get your NY permit NOW. They are good for life and you sure aren't going to get a NY permit after you move out of state. Of course the trick is if you never really move. . . ;) I know a guy who still lives with his parents in the Adirondacks, even though he is married and owns a home in MA (MA carry permit also).

If you enjoyed reading about "Input needed regarding CCW license" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!