Question on S&W Model 29 wood finish

PDA

CommanderPoopyduX
September 8, 2007, 06:02 PM
My dad is wanting to strip the shiny finish off his old Smith and Wesson model 29-3. The wood is very pretty, but he doesn't like how shiny it is. He wants to strip just the clear coating off, and oil the wood, but we aren't sure what was used over the wood. He doesn't want to sand the grips, he would just like to strip the shininess off. The gun was made in the early 80s (probably 1982). Does anyone know what was put on the wood, so we can strip it off?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on S&W Model 29 wood finish" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Master Blaster
September 8, 2007, 06:22 PM
It could be laquer, or shellac, or some type of catalyzed finnish.

Try using denatured alcohol solvent, if that doesnt work try laquer thinner.

mljdeckard
September 8, 2007, 06:44 PM
Is there any reason he wouldn't want to just take them off, and find some aftermarket ones?

pharmer
September 8, 2007, 07:06 PM
Leave the grips alone. Someday someone will gladly pay $150 for them IF they are ORIGINAL. Joe

CommanderPoopyduX
September 9, 2007, 12:18 AM
Got it off with Lacquer thinner.

CommanderPoopyduX
September 9, 2007, 12:19 AM
They are the original grips. He bought the gun new and has never done anything to it. He will never sell the gun though, and neither will I when I inherit it someday. He doesn't want after market grips, mainly because he loves these grips, and the colour, but doesn't like how shiny they are. It makes them look cheap (almost like plastic) and just wants to make the gun "better".

.41Dave
September 9, 2007, 01:31 AM
Place the grips in a glass jar, then fill the jar with acetone or odorless mineral spirits. Leave sto soak overnight. This will remove the factory finish without harming the wood at all. When the grips are completely dry, you can refinish with tung oil or tru oil.

.41Dave
September 9, 2007, 01:32 AM
oops! duplicate post deleted

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on S&W Model 29 wood finish" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!