Gun Room is nearing completion...(a preview)

PDA

Rembrandt
September 8, 2007, 09:16 PM
Several months ago I started building a new gun room/"man cave"/reloading room. Wanted to incorporate all the latest gadgets and technology. Should be completed in a few more weeks. Unfortunately these projects always seem to go over budget....could have had a couple more guns for what this is costing.

Features:
- Central Vacuum system
- Compressed air lines
- Wide screen cable TV/DVD/radio sytem
- Computer system
- Keypad lock system on door
- No permanent benches
- Storage, storage, & more storage (for all those things that clutter benches)
- Closet for hunting clothes
- Wall mount gun rack for firearms being worked on

Anything else I should add?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/room1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/room4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/room2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/room5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/room3.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Room is nearing completion...(a preview)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Davo
September 8, 2007, 09:24 PM
Thats a very sharp setup, I wish I had room for something like that.
Dress the walls up a bit and your set!

jeepmor
September 8, 2007, 09:28 PM
Nice work, tile those walls, put a sink in and you'll have a kitchen.

Seriously, you need some propoganda posters, targets with clover leaves and some reloading data posters to finish it off. Nice cabinets, were they cheap?

mb419
September 8, 2007, 09:30 PM
Man, that looks great. My gun room is just wood paneling and linoleum flooring with shop lighting. The wood walls look fine as they are. Great job!!

Cougfan2
September 8, 2007, 09:32 PM
Digggin' the Martini action rifle. Tell me about it. Does it have history?

Joey_the_Wolf
September 8, 2007, 09:33 PM
Beautiful. Simply beautiful. I'm building one of those once I get a house!

Roadwild17
September 8, 2007, 09:44 PM
I didnt see the "wide screen" :neener:

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,,, you know the rest.

CheyennePilot
September 8, 2007, 09:57 PM
Looks like you have wall space there by the reloaders for a couple of Dillion's fine looking calendars. Good looking room.

Happy landings!
CheyennePilot.

Rembrandt
September 8, 2007, 09:59 PM
Not something you'd want to watch the Superbowl on, but it "is" a wide screen TV....all 7".

Martini came from a gun shop in Kabul, Afghanistan.....my son sent it back. Possibly a rifle used in one of the many battles for the Khyber Pass.

Upper wood cabinets are inexpensive, can hardly build anything for what they get for these.

Lower roll cabinets and benches all came from Sams Club.

The room is in a corner of the basement.....sound familiar? Women of the house always seem to chase us manly types to the basements. At least I can scratch myself and belch in peace now.

SoCalShooter
September 8, 2007, 10:00 PM
I envy you. Nice job.

CZ223
September 8, 2007, 10:01 PM
I am currently building a Garage/Work Shop with living space above and my plan is to have a gun room on the second floor. I don't need to worry about cabinets as that is what I do. I am a cabinet maker. What does interest me the most is the nice rolling tool carts you have. Where did you get them and how much are they if you don't mind me asking. It also appears that your benches are seperate from the cabinets and the tops are butcher block. The legs they sit on look very sturdy. Where did you get those?

Rembrandt
September 8, 2007, 10:12 PM
....What does interest me the most is the nice rolling tool carts you have. Where did you get them and how much are they if you don't mind me asking. It also appears that your benches are seperate from the cabinets and the tops are butcher block. The legs they sit on look very sturdy. Where did you get those?

Sams Club had the tool carts and benches. As best as I can remember...
Big tool boxes with drawers .....$300 each
Smaller boxes wo/drawers........$165 each
Work benches........................$200-250 each?
Stools .................................$ 50 each

All have maple butcher block tops, smaller boxes roll out for additional work space.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/reload7.jpg

PTK
September 8, 2007, 10:25 PM
Rembrandt,

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for work?

I need to get into your line of work!

GunTech
September 8, 2007, 10:28 PM
Very nice.

No offense, but since my wife does a lot of fire scenes, I have to suggest that using plywood for wall material may not be the best idea. Gypsum wall board is a much better fire barrier.

Hardtarget
September 8, 2007, 10:44 PM
I like your setup! You've done good work and you'll never regret the effort.

I HAD a gun room. Not near as nice as what we've seen here. Wifey never went to the basement. I was happy. Then she brought in some shelves...then two more...now she has 90% of a 15X18 room! I have barely enough room for the safe, loading bench, and one shelf set for supplies. :scrutiny: what happened!? All was good...then BAM! got pushed out.

Looks like yours is well set up...hope you can keep it FOR GUNS! :D

Mark.

I LIKE IT!
September 8, 2007, 10:53 PM
I thought it looked like a kitchen, too much wood in my opinion for a gun room. It's missing character, I would love a gun room like the one in the movie "Boondock Saints" brought a tear to my eye.

It looks nice but just doesn't convince me yet, maybe once your done.

Good job though!:D

The Unknown User
September 8, 2007, 10:54 PM
Adopt me.

El Tejon
September 9, 2007, 01:02 PM
Holy cow! Good work, Rem.:cool:

glockman19
September 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
Nice. Congrats. It i sonlu missing little fridge to hold a few cold ones and some sustinance.

irishvet
September 9, 2007, 02:44 PM
Looks great!! I'll be starting mine this winter when business falls off.

scott5
September 9, 2007, 03:35 PM
Hello all,
I have a suggestion, but maybe you have it planned already.
Where is the hand towel despenser?
I'm always getting my hands dirty in the reloading room, with cleaning guns, handling bullets, brass, other equipment. So you need at least one hanging towel despencer somwhere.

nwilliams
September 9, 2007, 03:43 PM
wow good job it looks great, keep it up I can't wait to see the finished result:cool:

Rustynuts
September 9, 2007, 03:51 PM
Isn't Kabul one of those places where they make imitation guns? Could this be a counterfeit? remember seeing it on TV talking about when the mujahadin were fighting the soviets. They were copying all kinds of weapons and had street markets set up. Might not have been Kabul though.

Noxx
September 9, 2007, 04:18 PM
Very slick job.

I'm still putting my ideas on paper for converting the office. Sadly I'm sold on the Lista brand cabinets we use at work, gonna have to finance those or wait quite a while.

Did you add any additional ventilation? A quiet, hi-cap bath exhaust fan may be in order to handle chemical fumes, etc.

Sniper4Life
September 9, 2007, 04:36 PM
Thats a great looking setup you got there. Been wanting to do someting along those lines for a while now. I just never have the time, money, or space.

Oh well.... I will get it done sometime...

Just out of curiosity how big is the room?

Vincent
September 9, 2007, 04:51 PM
Very nice. I like all the wood. I love the soft warm glow wood gives. I have part of one "den" that is a converted garage. not as nice as yours but it is a start.

For 12 years of my first marraige I had a whole spare bed room as my gun/project room. It is so nice to have a roomy, clean, well lit place to do your thing.

bulgron
September 9, 2007, 05:16 PM
I have to agree that the wood on the walls is probably a fire hazard. Wall board is a much better choice.

I like the idea of having a lock on the door -- keeps the wife from turning the man cave into a storage closet.

Irwin
September 9, 2007, 05:18 PM
Looks Great, Though it appears you are missing a fridge for drinks.

Cliff47
September 9, 2007, 05:34 PM
What, no indoor test/practice range??

Rembrandt
September 9, 2007, 08:11 PM
Got diverted today, been installing the computer system, been struggling with the wireless keyboard and mouse and routing phone lines.

I'll try to answer all the questions....

- Room is 12'X9', plus it's next to a stair well, that area has been converted into a closet for hunting clothes and gun cases.

- I used wood rather than sheetrock for a specific reason. There is quite a bit of plumbing and electrical along walls and in the floor joists from the kitchen above. If I ever need future access to those areas, a few sheet rock screws and the plywood can be easily removed.

- The Martini is an original, not a copy.

- No picture, but just outside the door is an old Dr Pepper pop machine for the liquid refreshments.

- Paper towel dispenser?....That's a great idea! I'll put it on the list of things to do.

- No ventilation, but there is a window if the Hoppe's gets too strong.

sig228
September 9, 2007, 08:21 PM
Maybe you can sell the idea to "Man Caves (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/pac_ctnt_988/text/0,2829,DIY_24936_62710,00.html)." It's certainly something that they haven't tried yet.:)

As to the plywood fire hazard, I wouldn't change it, it gives the room a lot of character at a cheap price. I would, however, coat it with a clear stain with a fire retardant such as this (http://www.firechemicals.com/?gclid=CJmUje_Bt44CFRcTgQodWSHk3A).

Keep up the good work and show us the final product!!!!

bpk1
September 9, 2007, 08:23 PM
That's a nice setup you have, I think the wood looks fine.

wolfman01
September 9, 2007, 09:13 PM
Wow, great work. It certainly makes my little closet look and feel like - a closet. Maybe I'll have the space to set up something nice like this in my next place. Two thumbs up here!!!

highfive
September 9, 2007, 09:31 PM
Wow that is so nice.... I wish I had the space.....congrats it's awesome

brandyspaw
September 10, 2007, 01:27 AM
Very nice set-up!!!

I also wish I had that much space. At our old house I had an entire large
room dedicated to work on and store guns as well as reload ammo. In our current house all I have is a corner of a storage room that I share with storing
Christmas decorations, food and canning jars.

I hope when we move again I can build another totally dedicated room with
more shelving, drawers and cabinets.

JKimball
September 10, 2007, 01:49 AM
I like the wall mount gun rack idea. Do you remember that scene from "Tremors" where the worm busts into Bert's basement? I'd hang up as many guns as I could, not just the ones being worked on. Or do you already have a separate safe for that?

03Shadowbob
September 10, 2007, 10:45 AM
Nice. But in order for it to be a man-cave, IMHO, you need a mini-fridge and a Mac-tools calendar with scantily clad women.

hso
September 10, 2007, 11:16 AM
- Compressed air lines

What's the compressed air for?

Noxx
September 10, 2007, 11:55 AM

My guess is, anything he can get away with using it for, air tools are fun.

MD_Willington
September 10, 2007, 12:04 PM
Do the doors on the corner cabinets interfere with each other when you open them?

AJ Dual
September 10, 2007, 12:58 PM

Very useful in gun cleaning.

It's not a "must" but it's very, very convenient. Blowing dust off of safe queens that haven't seen daylight in years. Cleaning/dusting optics. Getting solvent and gunk out of tight spaces. Cleaning complex mechanisms that are difficult to tear down and re-assemble. Blowing melted/heated cosmoline out of milsurps. Blowing dust off of wood/stock refinishing projects.

Air tools would be a bit of overkill for a gun room, but I could see an air powered die grinder or high-end Dremel-like tool being handy, as well as spray bottles for applying gun finishes for metal or wood.

Madmardig0n
September 10, 2007, 06:01 PM
Looks really good; I like the roll away benches. I assume you're using a safe for firearm storage due to only having part of the basement? Personally I would partition that area off and do some kind of reinforced/vault style setup. Then you don't have to worry about running out of room in the safe :)

kd7nqb
September 10, 2007, 07:50 PM
I like it, so what kind of rent would I be looking at if I moved in? I promise to help cook and clean. LOL.

Congrats on a job well done.

Rembrandt
September 10, 2007, 07:57 PM
Do the doors on the corner cabinets interfere with each other when you open them?
- Corner cabinet doors don't hit each other, but they are close.

.....I'd hang up as many guns as I could, not just the ones being worked on. Or do you already have a separate safe for that?
- Gun safe is in another room, too many Grandkids running around to leave any in the open.

- I thought everyone use compressed air....AJ Dual got it right. Cleaning guns with compressed air is a must. Allows you clean complex mechanisms like trigger assemblies and such without disassembly. If I had room there would be a solvent parts washer installed.

Nice. But in order for it to be a man-cave, IMHO, you need a mini-fridge and a Mac-tools calendar with scantily clad women.

- Full blown pop machine is just around the corner for refreshment, No MAC-Tools or their calendars allowed here, only Snap-On at this house.

Houston Tom
September 10, 2007, 09:02 PM
Looks Great I wish I could talk the wife into letting me have a room to turn into a man room,

lepmik
September 10, 2007, 09:12 PM
Terrific looking room, but where's the stripper pole??

Seriously, a nice setup, one to be envied.

Lonestar49
September 10, 2007, 09:34 PM

I WANT ONE.. :what:

Rembrandt, you live up to the name..

WELL DONE, well done

LS :)

PS.. I added all your pics to my Pic folder for my slide show for down PC screen-time.. Just an inspiration, really ;)

scott5
September 10, 2007, 09:51 PM
Hey Rembrant,
I just thought of another thing/s to put in your man-room.

How about a ten pound ABC fire exstinguisher on the wall chest high outside your man-room door.
And another one waist high on one of those cabnets close to where you are going to be most of the time, then another one on the other side of the room.

You never know when somthing might start going, and it's better to have it and not need than need it and not have it.

I have two in my reloading room, one up high and another one on the floor within two steps if something decides it likes lots of heat.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Crunker1337
September 10, 2007, 09:52 PM
You should add a secret entrance for THR members? Maybe?

:D

Really nice work. It must've been expensive.

Bentley8
September 10, 2007, 11:54 PM
I'll second Scott5's recommendation about the fire extinguisher. I had a small fire break out in my man cave a couple of years ago. A pail of used oily rags got hit with some sparks while I was doing some grinding. No damage done, happened in the middle of a concrete floor and I had a fire extinguisher handy, but it did scare me.

yesit'sloaded
September 11, 2007, 12:18 AM
The only problem I would have with a setup like that is that my girlfriend shoots just as much as I do and would likely commandeer my man cave for her own uses.

Ukraine Train
September 11, 2007, 12:26 AM
It looks great. My only comment would be that a TV would be a distraction while handling firearms. You don't want to get caught up in yelling at "CSI: Miami" over some bonehead scene and forget you didn't finish unloading that rifle you're about to strip down. I'd probably just stick to a stereo.

dscottw88
September 11, 2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah add me into it, i'd be happy!

GRB
September 11, 2007, 01:28 AM
Nice.

hankpac
September 11, 2007, 01:32 AM
the room is great especially since you had limited room. I was going to suggest a fridge, but since you saved space by putting the drink machine outside the door, that was an act of genius. I put a paper towel roller length-wise under the knee hole on my bench to keep it out of site, but reachable from my sitting position. Yours could fit at either end of the two slide in/out cabinets.
Needs some posters or tin signs, A couple of plastic mats with bullet charts or other propganda on them for a movable work space, a real widescreen tv flatscreen against one of the walls (for the sports channels/outdoor videos, etc. I use a laptop, and that goes in keeping with the "no permanent set ups". Shut the top, and slip it into a drawer or on top of the cabinets.
I have a small fridge, and use the cabinets to store components... I need a room about twice as large as the current one, since I share this one with the wife's sewing area, and our food storage. Oh, and an inexpensive office recliner chair. Rolls easily, comfortable, and

Invalid
September 11, 2007, 03:06 AM
Hella cool, all you need now is an indoor range :D

The only problem I would have with a setup like that is that my girlfriend shoots just as much as I do and would likely commandeer my man cave for her own uses.

Hahahahahahahaha! Mancave.

Im283
September 11, 2007, 05:34 PM
its nice enough alright. Maybe it is the pictures but it did not look overly bright. I know I need lots of light to do most anything

You might want to look into some overhead flourescent fixtures and some aimable light under the cabinets. Can't wait to see your finished product.

physics
September 11, 2007, 09:53 PM
Wow, that is amazing. I would like to offer my .02 however. Fire extinguishers are a must of course, that is common sense. However, I would strongly suggest a ventilation system of some sort. Lead and chemical exposure is, obviously, not so great for your health. A sink would be useful too, as lead won't just wipe off with a towel. That is my .02. Awesome looking room though, wish I had one...

justashooter
September 12, 2007, 05:35 AM
looks gay.

my gunroom has a stone floor with oriental carpet, a fireplace on a stone wall, and a big red leather couch to lounge on. there are 40(?) long guns on display in vertical racks and cans of ammo stacked on the shelves. gun parts and accessories abound. crates of ammo line the unused wall space, and a few belt fed guns on tripods add some color.

dump the manufactured storage and stick build what you need. make your gun room look like it's always been there, not like some "homeowner special" rehab.

VegasEgo
September 12, 2007, 06:50 AM
someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I think it looks badass. Did anyone mention a humidor maybe? Also a stripper pole? lol.. jk

justashooter
September 12, 2007, 09:16 AM
someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

someone woke up when you were going to bed. check someone's location. wait a minute, check yours. we prolly go to bed at the same time.

someone is just jealous that his gun room is on the other side of the world and that he can't lounge on the leather for awhile. it's a damned shame that someone has to work in a 2nd world s-hole to afford a nice place in the first world.

no worries. it'll be there when someone gets back. someone's daughter likes the double 12.

someone agrees completely about the stripper pole, but someone's hotty wouldn't take too kindly to it unless she had sole occupancy.

Pitmaster
September 12, 2007, 09:28 PM
Great setup. Although I would add an air exhaust system and some plumbing if at all possible. I would at least like having a sink around.

+1 on the fire extinguisher idea too.

esmith
September 12, 2007, 09:34 PM
looks gay.

my gunroom has a stone floor with oriental carpet, a fireplace on a stone wall, and a big red leather couch to lounge on. there are 40(?) long guns on display in vertical racks and cans of ammo stacked on the shelves. gun parts and accessories abound. crates of ammo line the unused wall space, and a few belt fed guns on tripods add some color.

dump the manufactured storage and stick build what you need. make your gun room look like it's always been there, not like some "homeowner special" rehab.

I hope your are kidding when you say this guys gun room looks gay. You put someone down just because you might have something that costs more than he. We can't all afford to put stone floors and 'oriental carpets' in our gun rooms, let alone 40 guns. Only some arrogant jerk off would rather attempt to bring someone down rather than suggest things that may make it look better, even though the room is fine.

By the way, nice job on the gun room, i wish i had that.

Black Adder LXX
September 12, 2007, 11:33 PM
Sweet setup. FWIW anything BUT gay. I especially like the lighting. The recess lights in the ceiling and the pucks under the counters were sweet. The butcher block is nice as well. Even if you don't have oriental rugs...

You should be proud, and should get an extinguisher...

KC&97TA
September 12, 2007, 11:41 PM
I'll have to jump on the fire extinguisher band wagon, I keep on in the garage and a color matching on in the truck.

The gun's on the wall, capability... I know you said the safe was in another room, displaying the firearms once in awhile isn't too bad, when you know who you're entertaining, I'd actually have the safe in the gun room, since it's secured.

The area is a nice size 12x9, some simple tile floor or second hand/cheap granite wouldn't run you too deep into the walet, so you can keep up with the guy with the stone floor.

The plywood wall isn't too bad, you could actually get some 'fine' lowes panelling to dress it up a bit but still removeable.

How about a leather man couch or a hard wood bench seat with a pad would be classy too.

But she's a nice set up you have, more than most of us have.

justashooter
September 13, 2007, 03:19 AM
You put someone down just because you might have something that costs more than he. We can't all afford to put stone floors and 'oriental carpets' in our gun rooms, let alone 40 guns.

i laid the stone tiles myself, right after i tore up the 100 year old tongue and groove on log sleepers over blue clay and put the concrete in. the carpet was my grandmother's. she had it for 40 years, and i've had it for over 10 years. the 40 guns are about half of my collection. every one of them was bought or built for a fraction of their value.

the framing, sheetrock, wainscotting, fireplace, and stick built display racks/shelves were all lumberyard price. this guy's cabinets cost more than my entire project, probably. his gun room looks like a kitchen with 3 guns in it.

JKimball
September 13, 2007, 03:37 AM
Justashooter,

That is pretty amazing. You're awesome.

Irwin
September 13, 2007, 08:35 AM
Whats wrong with Rembrandt Spending some of his hard earned cash on a gun cave to make it the way he wants? I bet you 10-1 that Rembrandt worked hard for that cash like everyone else here. Its like buying a car and souping it up yes it may not be to everyones taste but if the cars owner wants it to look like that then they can. Irwin

esmith
September 13, 2007, 08:39 AM
i laid the stone tiles myself, right after i tore up the 100 year old tongue and groove on log sleepers over blue clay and put the concrete in. the carpet was my grandmother's. she had it for 40 years, and i've had it for over 10 years. the 40 guns are about half of my collection. every one of them was bought or built for a fraction of their value.

the framing, sheetrock, wainscotting, fireplace, and stick built display racks/shelves were all lumberyard price. this guy's cabinets cost more than my entire project, probably. his gun room looks like a kitchen with 3 guns in it.

Oh wow, oh my god. You're gods gift to the earth. I can't stand people like you. Show offs. pssh

Cliff47
September 13, 2007, 08:51 AM
I agree that the room needs a calendar, but make it from Dillon Precision (first to come to mind), not an automotive tool manufacturer, keep the decor in context.

By the way, very nice setup.

tegemu
September 13, 2007, 08:52 AM
Looks super, is there a safe in there?

Mannix
September 13, 2007, 09:00 AM
justashooter, if you're going to be calling other people's work "gay", you should at least post some pictures to show us how it's done. :rolleyes:

Or perhaps you're just here to flame and be a nuisance?

igpoobah
September 13, 2007, 09:01 AM
Mama said if you can't say anything nice........

Working Man
September 13, 2007, 10:03 AM
justashooter,

I commend your skills if they are as you speak, haven't seen a picture so for
now it is a fish tail. If you have helpful tips & ideas or even constructive
criticism, good deal. I applaud anyone who does the work themselves and
helps others out.

Going from just what you have posted all I can say is "Gunkid, did your bunk
mate help any"?

gggman
September 13, 2007, 11:10 AM
Calling someone's gun room gay is definitely not taking the high road.
I like it, and am jealous.

Eyesac
September 13, 2007, 11:35 AM
That looks great, I like the wood and that easy access is handy. My only suggestion is a cheap surround sound. A little surround sound in a small room like that is a cheap and easy thing and could sound great. Other than that, looks incredible.

justashooter
September 13, 2007, 12:25 PM
no pix on hand. like i said, the gun room is 10,000 miles away, just now.

i should restate my opinion. the pix in this thread show us what a metrosexual's gun room looks like.

10 Ring Tao
September 13, 2007, 01:42 PM
I plan on rasterbating (http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/) some or all of these on the walls and ceiling of my man cave. Many more will be added and substracted, I'm sure, and you can use any image and make it any size you need.

http://pixpipeline.com/users/trt/acb6658

I love the lighting and predominate wood. The thing I would have done different is use a rich red mohogany stain.

frankcostanza
September 13, 2007, 02:13 PM
I plan on rasterbating some or all of these on the walls and ceiling of my man cave

make sure you put a lock on the door :evil:

MD_Willington
September 13, 2007, 05:21 PM
- Corner cabinet doors don't hit each other, but they are close.

That's good, I've seen people who have set up cabinets like that and they do hit each other, the cabinet doors, not the people..

ilbob
September 13, 2007, 06:23 PM
I like it, but I am not a big fan of the wood walls in a work shop area. too dark for my tatse. maybe if they were painted beige (not white - just too bright).

i think you need some ventilation too.

Bartkowski
September 13, 2007, 09:07 PM
no pix on hand. like i said, the gun room is 10,000 miles away, just now.

i should restate my opinion. the pix in this thread show us what a metrosexual's gun room looks like.

You should probably just let it go before you look like an even bigger ass. And oriental carpets are the most manly thing I have heard of.

crates of ammo line the unused wall space, and a few belt fed guns on tripods add some color.

Isn't that cute.

I guess I am not good enough because I have exposed concrete floors, ceilings, beams, walls, and my great grandmothers dusty old carpet and some spare linoleum around.

esmith
September 13, 2007, 09:22 PM
the pix in this thread show us what a metrosexual's gun room looks like.

Rembrandt you need not listen to this waste. He is either a jealous loser who doesn't even have his GED, or a arrogant silverspoon waste of life that must make others fell worse about themselves in order to feel good. Abused or teased as a child usually is root of the problems. He first insults your hard work, then flaunts what he has, then later flaunts on how hard and good he worked on it. Yet he still has no proof of how good and successful he claims to be.

Yeah call him metrosexual, justashooter, when you need a nice leather couch to 'lounge' in and some belt fed guns to 'add some color'. Sounds like you are the one worrying so much of how good your room looks, eh?

kowboygunsmith
September 15, 2007, 07:08 AM
hey guys read this! I just wanted to let you know that all of you sound like a bunch of Marys. (just to clarify, if this offends you....you're a mary.)

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=212455

10 Ring Tao
September 15, 2007, 03:22 PM
hey guys read this! I just wanted to let you know that all of you sound like a bunch of Marys. (just to clarify, if this offends you....you're a mary.)

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=212455

Have to register to view it, which I'm not doing. Can you just copy it here?

AntiqueCollector
September 15, 2007, 07:26 PM
laid the stone tiles myself, right after i tore up the 100 year old tongue and groove on log sleepers over blue clay and put the concrete in. the carpet was my grandmother's. she had it for 40 years, and i've had it for over 10 years. the 40 guns are about half of my collection. every one of them was bought or built for a fraction of their value.

Wow, how insulting. I don't clean my guns on top of an oriental carpet, but, I probably wouldn't want to and spill some chemicals or something on it. And FWIW, I would never touch 100 year old tongue and groove boards with a hammer or prybar. You just can't get boards as good as the boards were back then anymore. I've made some good money here and there flipping old lumber like that, as long as it wasn't damaged from removal. Wow, ripping it out for concrete!

yesit'sloaded
September 15, 2007, 08:18 PM
Justashooter, *** man? The guy showed us his gun room and you think it is gay because you ruined a nice classic floor to build yours. If you can't say anything nice, stay off the high road. Somebody needs to really think about their attitude so maybe they will have more friends. It's people like you that give gun owners a bad name as Aholes with guns.

Gunnerpalace
September 15, 2007, 08:29 PM
I follow the fire extinguisher idea with a sign over it "for fires" and a mounted rifle next to that marked "for burglars". :D

Bazooka Joe71
September 15, 2007, 09:19 PM
And oriental carpets are the most manly thing I have heard of.

Worth repeating.:rolleyes:

Rembrandt, your man cave is totally badass, I'm just sorry you can't afford oriental rugs for it. LOL

Justin
September 17, 2007, 12:19 PM

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=212455

Viewing your link requires registration.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=64089&d=1190042353

Master Blaster
September 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
Wow lots of 11-15 year olds here today huh??

11-14 year old boys call things Gay and challenge the manhood of others, because their pubic hair is just now growing in. When its all grown in they stop insulting other men by calling them Gay, usually about age 16 or so.

TexasSkyhawk
December 31, 2007, 03:58 PM
- I thought everyone use compressed air....AJ Dual got it right. Cleaning guns with compressed air is a must. Allows you clean complex mechanisms like trigger assemblies and such without disassembly. If I had room there would be a solvent parts washer installed.

My wife bought me a big stand-up Craftsman air compressor for Christmas eight years ago. Best tool I have in the workshop! And you're right, it's invaluable for cleaning guns. Not only for the complex mechanisms, but I like the fact that I can blow out the old solvent easily and quickly in about ten/fifteen seconds whereas it might otherwise take ten/fifteen patches to do the same thing.

The room looks great! I'll second the strong recommendation for fire extinguishers.

http://aycu38.webshots.com/image/37597/2001858855521156361_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001858855521156361)

I have one on the wall right by my reloading bench, and another on the wall behind me by another workbench. Gunpowder, solvents, electricity . . . too many play toys for Mr. Murphy to not have a couple of good fire extinguishers.

By the way, you can get a small portable solvent parts washer from Harbor Freight Tools for less than fifty bucks. I think the dimensions are something like 12" x 18".

Again, awesome job.

Jeff

CZ 42
December 31, 2007, 04:25 PM
If too many 11-14 year olds insult your plywood walls, buy some ghillie netting and use it for wallpaper. Then the walls will be invisible...

mossberg
December 31, 2007, 04:29 PM
I wonder if justashooters red leather couch comes with liberachi sitting on it?:scrutiny:

Dravur
December 31, 2007, 05:39 PM
I am jealous. My Man-Cave is nowhere near that nice. I like the numerous cabinets, the clean lines and the plywood looks fine in my book.

A hearty Huzzah to you and Hearty PBBTTTHHHTTTT to the "gay" dude

vtoddball
December 31, 2007, 09:38 PM
That looks better than my kitchen!

I don't think my wife will be pleased to learn there are gun room cabinets that look way better than the ones in her kitchen.

larry24
December 31, 2007, 10:06 PM
Just One Word:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>awesome!

David904
December 31, 2007, 11:10 PM
Personally, I think its a pretty cool setup. Hell, I wish I had a mancorner like that to work on my guns.

Nicely done.

Blackwing1
January 3, 2008, 01:59 PM
Wow, that's a beautiful room.

What do you do for solvent/cleaning fluid storage, dispensing and disposal? I've alway wanted a nice big tray in which to soak parts as I'm cleaning them, maybe with a little wire screen bucket in which to hold itty-bitty pieces.

XDKingslayer
January 3, 2008, 02:08 PM
One recommendation, if you aren't do so already, is to hook the computer up to the widescreen TV instead of a regular monitor. Most video cards have digital out these days and it's really nice looking at exploded gun diagrams off a 52" screen than it is a 19" monitor.

Zedicus
January 3, 2008, 02:12 PM
Nice Work!:cool:

Only thing I would have done differently would have been a Wall Mounted 32"-47" LCD TV with HD DVD's of "History of the Gun" playing.

Kind of Blued
January 3, 2008, 02:37 PM
Snag some of those cool old tin posters off of E-Bay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/WINCHESTER-Guns-Ammo-Spooked-HORSE-metal-poster-sign_W0QQitemZ120203250999QQihZ002QQcategoryZ71139QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

32winspl
January 3, 2008, 03:20 PM
Love the room! Very jealous.
Glockman, if by "cold ones", you mean Coke or Orange Crush, cool. If you mean beer... (while reloading), baad idea. ...been there, done that. I highly don't reccomend.

41magsnub
January 3, 2008, 03:52 PM
Where is the "Kegerator"? IMHO that is required in any room that will be called a Man Cave!:evil:

Markbo
January 3, 2008, 04:13 PM
You may have addressed several of these issues, but from my own experience building one in the garage I remember these coming up:
Ventilation - This is not a luxury. This is a requirement. Does this have a 'roof' on it? When you shut the door, is there a way for the air pressure to get out?
Heat & A/C - Will make it much more enjoyable.
Fire extinguishers - 2. Yes 2. One on one end, another on the other. In that small space they can be the very small type, with a larger unit outside the box.
No Smoking signs - Should be clearly posted whether you allow smoking or not. I have had friends, stranagers, workers - whatever over to my house and they don't think twice about walking around with a cigarette lit until they see the signs.
Power outlets - you cannot have too many. Extention cords are messy and easily overloaded and are a tripping and fire hazard.
Lights - You can never have too much light and as you age there never seems to be enough. If you think it is enough, add 50%, including overhead shop lights and moveable spot lights. The hidden spots look sweet, but they don't provide the maximum amount of light from multiple angles that is so helpful when looking at tiny detail. Can you get outside light in?
Magnification - I have a lighted magnifier on my bench. Wouldn't know what to do without it.
Tumbler - keep it outside that room, somewhere else in the basement. They are dusty and noisy - 2 things you don't need in there. Think clean!
Rubber floor mat - You will be on your feet more than you think. Take care of your joints.
Cleaning - keep a dustpan and small handheld brush for quick/easy sweep ups. I use it all the time rather than try to do one 'big' clean up later. In fact I bought 3 small paint brushes to use on the machines.
Organization - sit in there before you start and go through the motions... where do you want to have your bullets, your brass, your powder, your other stuff. Get organized FIRST and you won't have to redo something later. Ask me how I know. ;). SEEriously consider putting up some pegboard. I wish I had a pic of mine after all the stuff was hung. You will not believe how many tools, die heads, and even small shelves for books you can hang on the walls.
Cabinets - You are obviously handy, so think of what will you use the upper cabinets for. Many items can be mounted on pull out shelves so you don't have to take it out, unpack it, place it on the bench, yadda yadda... for instance RCBS brass multi machine, brass trimmer, electronic scale. Pull them out, use it, push it back. HUGE time saver. That way the power outlets can be inside the cabinets as well. Have a pull out on the bottom shelf of each one and stored items above it.
Storage - Powder and primers should be stored separately from each other and kept udner lock and key. No question about it. All liquids - cleaning, oils, etc, etc should be kept in one location too.
Television - FWIW I would never have a television around while I am reloading. I find I even turn my radio off. I want 100% concentration.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Don Gwinn
January 3, 2008, 04:24 PM
Jealousy . . . . RISING . . . .

Actually, there are a few features going into the kids' renovated bedrooms that are going to make fantastic gun rooms and libraries when I finally give the little joys of my life the boot.

Limeyfellow
January 3, 2008, 04:28 PM
I have one of those stools I use for telescoping.

Nice room. Now to convince my wife to let me build myself one, I guess in the basement.

Rembrandt
January 3, 2008, 07:20 PM
This is an old thread that has been updated, so here are a few more pics of the finished product. More later....Thanks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/reload%20room/room-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/reload%20room/gunroom2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/reload%20room/gunroom1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/loadbench3.jpg

rem2429
January 3, 2008, 08:22 PM
what did you do for your presses and the rails in the bench? I have been toying with ideas for something like that, but yours looks like a better idea. Easily removeable I suppose.

okiebuckout
January 3, 2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the updated pictures. It really is a nice setup for the given amount of space. It gives me some ideas for when I get out of this tiny apartment.:banghead:

Rembrandt
January 3, 2008, 08:54 PM
Never been satisfied with drilling holes in a bench and bolting a press down. Once installed most presses never move again. Always intrigued with the possibility of a quick change system that gives more bench room if needed. Here's what I came up with, two rails of extruded aluminum recessed into the bench top that presses get mounted to. Composite bases are attached to each loader and accessory. Rail allows press to slide up and down the bench, then simply lock it in place by tightening bolts. Next step will be a stock and forearm rest that attaches to the same rail system for cleaning guns.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/loadbench1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/loadbench2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/loadroom6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/loadbench5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/loadbench4.jpg

Deacon Blues
January 3, 2008, 09:22 PM
Fantastic setup, Rembrandt. You've inspired me with the rail system. It's rare to find the perfect arrangement on the first go, so being able to reconfigure is a great thing. :cool:

Lucky Strike
January 3, 2008, 10:32 PM
wow that rail system is awesome.....i totally intend to steal the idea when I have my reloading table built.

Bazooka Joe71
January 3, 2008, 11:38 PM
Really, really awesome Rembrandt...I'm quite jealous.

mekender
January 4, 2008, 02:42 AM
thats really nice.. though ill add this

Rubber floor mat - You will be on your feet more than you think. Take care of your joints.

dont get rubber... get an anti-static floor pad... you dont need a static electricity charge setting off some poweder

Blacky
January 4, 2008, 02:57 AM
Memorable quotes for
Tremors (1990)

[B]Burt Gummer: Broke into the wrong God damn rec room, didn't ya you bastard!

[B]Burt Gummer: Food for five years, a thousand gallons of gas, air filtration, water filtration, Geiger counter. Bomb shelter! Underground... God damn monsters.

Mr White
January 4, 2008, 10:24 AM
Rembrandt, How are the rails fastened to the bench?

And BTW, The plywood walls look good, but you should have used 17th century Italian marble instead. No gun room is complete without 17th century Italian marble walls. :D

FuzzyBunny
January 4, 2008, 12:40 PM
Power outlets and circuits.

When ever I redo a room I add at least 2 extra 20 amp circuits. The 12 ga. wire is a little stiffer to work with but I like the safety factor of the heaver wire and the 5 extra amps.

Believe me in the future you never know what you might want to use the room for. I put more outlets on the wall and closer together than the electrical code calls for. I'm also a big fan of GFI plugs around anything wet or flamable vapors.

I hate having a plug just 2 inches farther than the cord of what I want to plug in.

+1 in the fire suppression! Try to have some Halon or CO2 as dry chemical is a real pain to clean up after. Also have 2 smoke alarms in there just in case one goes bad. I have had some just 6 months old fail to work. It is cheap insurance and 2 make more noise than one.

I'm a big fan of HEPA air cleaners. Cuts down on 99% of dust and the need to dust things off so often.

Great room!

Markbo
January 4, 2008, 01:26 PM
Well done... really a well executed design!

phantomak47
January 4, 2008, 01:35 PM
A little off topic and I am not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any experience with those portable ac units that they are selling everywhere these days? The problem I have is that I would love to do more gun work in the summer time, but I am banned from inside the house because of the chemical smells and the garage just gets very "warm" in the Houston summer. Thoughts suggestions?

romma
January 4, 2008, 01:36 PM
repaint that red toolbox.... Great job!

Markbo
January 4, 2008, 01:49 PM
phanto - we be neighbors of sorts. I got one two years ago to use in my garage. It is separate from the house so it is not insulated. The little portable unit requires venting outside to move the hot air. I just ran the bit tube over to the garage door, put an stud down about 7' long, closed the door on it. The resulting gap I stick the oblong vent out. Looks fairly innocuous and gets the hot air out.

The unit works as advertised. BUT... since we are talking about a non insulated space, it will remain hot... it just cannot keep up with the heat load. It is useful only to position so that it blows cold air directly on me. If I were to get serious and completely insulate that part of the garage (it is a 3 1/2 car size with my 1 1/2 separated by twin plastic sheets floor to ceiling) I would probably just try to hide a window unit.

The home owner nazi's won't allow them of course but I think I could hide one behind the hibiscus bushes out back. :D

Caimlas
January 5, 2008, 01:45 PM
If it were me, I'd have put some plumbing in there for a sink for various projects (like refinishing) and a venting system (for things which produce odors/gases you don't want to be breathing). Maybe the kind of sink that you could put a "board" or something on top of so you'd not lose that space. Running water can come in handy for a lot of things, but I guess it depends on how extensively you "work on guns".

Also, I'd add cushions on those seats and maybe a nice recliner/fold-out bed/recliner.

TexasSkyhawk
January 5, 2008, 02:15 PM
Rembrandt,

Awesome job. Simply beautiful. I really like your compressed air supply set up/application. Good stuff.

Interesting how some folks say "yes" to a TV and other folks say "no." Both sides make valid points. I have a TV in my workshop, and one of my greatest pleasures is turning to one of the outdoor channels while I'm reloading. For me, the TV is like audio/visual wallpaper. It's not really a distraction and actually helps me stay more focused.

Agree with the plumbing/sink suggestion if it's feasible. I just finished building a sink for my shop. I do a lot of darkroom work in my shop as well, and needed running water. Couldn't find a pre-existing darkroom sink that met my needs, so I got some cabinet grade oak, fiberglass resin and enamel expoxy and made my own. Just finished it only a few weeks ago.

Now I wonder how I lived without it. I'm going to put a small hot-water heater in underneath and plumb it for two lines.

I use it for everything. I also cut a remaining piece of the oak to dimensions of the sink. This gives me yet another stable, solid work area when I put it over the sink opening.

Jeff

DogRanger
January 5, 2008, 02:20 PM
Nice, you need a place to go and relax.

IMtheNRA
January 5, 2008, 02:36 PM
Excellent press mounting system! Thanks for the great idea!!!:):):)

Markbo
January 6, 2008, 05:13 PM
Oooo oooo ooo... I know... You know those fold out ironing boards? Make you a foldout Lazy Boy! :D

SCmarksman
January 21, 2008, 11:21 PM
Nice work! That rail system should be standard issue on any reloading bench. unless you have a huge shop.

Could you please give us some more details on the rail system (who made it, what is it called and where can we get it?), including how it was inlet and fastened to the table? Same for the baseplates, which look awesome, BTW.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Room is nearing completion...(a preview)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!