Gun Cleaning

PDA

jason01s
September 8, 2007, 09:49 PM
I have LR ultrasonic cleaner for gun and looking to buy a larger unit, I saw one on www.sharpertek.com (http://www.sharpertek.com) which was on sale at www.jewelsmall.com (http://www.jewelsmall.com), anyone has experience with sharpertek gun cleaner? Looks like a better deal..
regards
Jason :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Cleaning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
September 8, 2007, 10:33 PM
My carry guns get cleaned after every time they are fired. The rest I shoot, wipe down and return to the safe, repeat until I have a problem, then as the first step to its solution I clean the gun, which usually fixes the issue. Guns that don't go 1000+ rounds without cleaning quickly become safe queens.

--wally.

Bartkowski
September 8, 2007, 11:40 PM
Not sure that I get the poll, but I clean my guns after each use, unless I only shoot them a few times when I go to the range.

igpoobah
September 8, 2007, 11:41 PM
When I get $100,000 worth of guns, I might get a $12,000 gun cleaner...

ruger_martin_mastermag
September 8, 2007, 11:54 PM
It is not wourth it

Bartkowski
September 8, 2007, 11:56 PM
Whats wrong with Hoppe's and the like?

eric.cartman
September 8, 2007, 11:58 PM
I have the 1.5 gallon sonic cleaner.

I paid around $350 for it.

The key to US cleaners is the solution you use: http://www.slip2000.com/725.html

Mine works great!!!

Ala Dan
September 8, 2007, 11:58 PM
I too clean each and every firearm, immediately after use [or ASAP]~! ;):D

SoCalShooter
September 9, 2007, 12:14 AM
I clean my firearms definetly. In fact I clean them even after they have been sitting in the safe for a while without being fired. But I am not overly cleaning them.

jason01s
September 9, 2007, 08:27 AM
Eric; the ultrasonic gun cleaner I was looking at if http://www.jewelsmall.com/ulguncl.html which is probably similar to the one you have for $395. http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/aajami_1964_13213154.gif
Is that it?

moxie
September 9, 2007, 08:35 AM
Sounds like a solution to a non-existent problem. I clean guns the old fashioned way and believe "you should never allow the sun to set on a dirty gun."

MaterDei
September 9, 2007, 08:40 AM
I think it is a good idea, but optional. I don't detail strip my guns when I clean them for fear of not being able to get them back together. As a result I wonder how clean the lower receivers get on my guns, especially the handguns which see a lot more rounds through them. It would be nice to drop the trigger housing or entire lower receiver into one of these from time to time. I'm assuming it would work to clean in that situation. If it only works when you separate each and every part then I don't believe it is necessary.

Dick1911
September 9, 2007, 08:55 AM
Seems to me like it's an expensive way to get the same results as a manual cleaning. I wipe mine down when I get back from the range and clean when things act up. But I don't carry (at the moment). If I did I'd probably clean my carry every time it was used and then sometimes just for the heck of it!

Neophyte1
September 9, 2007, 08:58 AM
Lordy Lordy: have a tool that is filthy;
Eat with a fork thats not been washed; maybe you'll not get sick.
Have a weapon, and it not work when you need it; maybe you'll not die.
Remove as many possibilities as possible, and maybe the cleaned fork wont make you sick. Your spotless weapon could still fail you, but the "cleaner" maximized his/her chances.

Craig

Never No More
September 9, 2007, 12:32 PM
Rod $20, Hoppe's No. 9 $4

Id rather spend the rest on reloading supplies.

Jorg Nysgerrig
September 9, 2007, 12:42 PM
What do those poll options even mean? Either we think a discussion on gun cleaning is worthwhile or we are serious about gun cleaning? :confused:

PPGMD
September 9, 2007, 01:00 PM
Seems to me like it's an expensive way to get the same results as a manual cleaning.

Do you detail strip the entire action every time you clean a gun, or do you not even do that at all?

IMO ultrasonic cleaners have their place, they are great detail cleaners, once a month drop your guns in it to get the crud out of every crack and crevice, but they aren't a replacement of daily cleanings unless you want to go through solvent like a drunken sailor goes through booze.

Wheeler44
September 9, 2007, 06:58 PM
Even though I have been shooting more lately I don't clean my guns.
You see my son (and range buddy) can't stand the thought of a dirty gun, and he seems to really like the disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, wipe down and general inspection almost as much as he likes shooting.

Oh but I still buy all the supplies.

f4t9r
September 9, 2007, 07:26 PM
I take cleaning serously but do it with boresnakes and cleaning rods and patches.

sig228
September 9, 2007, 08:12 PM
In keeping with the "high road" approach, let me simply say that your poll doesn't make sense. A poll asking a question with two answers should make those two answers contradictory. That's what makes it interesting. Unfortunately, yours isn't.:(

Hauptmann
September 9, 2007, 08:19 PM
Depends on the firearm really as to how clean I keep it. If it is my duty weapon or any other defensive firearm that might see use, I keep it as well maintained as possible. If it is a plinker or just a range gun I tend to skip cleaning a lot. Also, if the weapon has corrosion resistant materials then I tend to put it off sometimes. For instance, in my AR-15s sometimes I'll just clean the receiver and bolt assembly and skip the chrome lined barrel.

Regardless though, if the weapon is first in line to be used in defense it is VERY well maintained.

v35
September 9, 2007, 09:46 PM
Welcome Jason! You should have selected the "multiple choice" poll option.
A poll asking a question with two answers should make those two answers contradictory.
Show some patience with a new member -- he posted a pic just fine!

never_retreat
September 9, 2007, 10:47 PM
I have a L and R unit I have been using for years on a daily basis. They are very well made. Its ashame it's not big enough for guns. But when I save up enough jing I'm going to get a bigger on for the house. The heated units also help out the cleaning process.

czbegenner
September 9, 2007, 10:51 PM
Well since ive been in the military it's been drilled into me to keep a clean weapon.("This is my weapon,there are many like it,but this one is mine,one day this weapon will save my life,So it is my duty to take care of My weapon,
I will sleep,eat,even make love with my weapon by my side,when a situation
arises my weapon will protect me because i have done what it takes to keep
My weapon in top firing order") This is what Drill Sgt. Davis drilled into our heads Well since then i always keep my weapons in good firing condition.Because one day i will need it and i want it to be able to save my life.

trueblue1776
September 9, 2007, 10:56 PM
Awesome poll! Instigating confusion is a most excellent hobby!

Though I prefer to come in on the weekend and draw a beard on the picture of your wife sitting on your desk.

BlisteringSilence
September 10, 2007, 02:41 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/aajami_1964_13213154.gif

I have to ask.... Does the can of Gun Lube, and the tube of (presumably) oil look obscenely photoshopped in to anyone else?

yesit'sloaded
September 10, 2007, 02:52 AM
possibly, but I have seen light and reflections do strange things in pics before. I usually shoot corrosive mil-surp stuff, so I use sweets 7.62 on my mosins. Other wise I just use #9 and follow up with oil and a silicone cloth.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Cleaning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!