38 S&W CTG 6 shot revolver

PDA

hoyboy
September 9, 2007, 09:53 PM
I have a 38 Smith and Wesson special nickel plated 6 shot revolver with a 6 inch barrel, checkered walnut handle and adjustable sites and i wanted to know if anyone could tell me how much it was worth.....model number 15-3 serial number 13K74XX.

If you enjoyed reading about "38 S&W CTG 6 shot revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
September 9, 2007, 10:34 PM
I think it more likely it is a .38 S&W Special cartridge. (The CTG is an abbreviation of "cartridge.") If it really is a .38 S&W (no Special) and has adjustable sights, it may have been made for export to British Commonwealth countries. Open the cylinder and look inside the cylinder yoke cutout in the frame for MOD ("model"), followed by a number (two digits, a dash and a single digit), which is its model number. Its serial number will also be in there. Post it, substituting Xs for the last two digits, and someone will be able to help you. :)

Trebor
September 10, 2007, 03:34 AM
The Model 15 is a fine revolver and a fairly common gun.

The value is really going to depend on the guns mechanical functioning and cosmetic condition. Without seeing the gun in person, all we can do is guess.

My guess? Somewhere between $200 and $400. The top end assumes the gun is near 100% new and has the box and paperwork. The low end is what I'd personally pay for a Model 15, based on only a description and a couple of average internet pictures.

The Lone Haranguer
September 10, 2007, 03:46 AM
The nickel plating (less common than blued), if factory and not beaten up or peeled, will add a small premium to the price, perhaps $50.

If you enjoyed reading about "38 S&W CTG 6 shot revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!