What Handgun Do You Use For A Car Gun.

PDA

Kahr carrier
January 9, 2003, 07:21 AM
I use a Glock 21 .Especially when I go on long car trips.

If you enjoyed reading about "What Handgun Do You Use For A Car Gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
January 9, 2003, 07:40 AM
My CCW
45ACP
9mm
or both
be it around the block
or 2k mi. road trip.

dacinokc
January 9, 2003, 09:51 AM
Interesting queston! I have a dedicated gun for the car- a Mini Eagle Compact in 40 S&W. Fits in the drivers door map compartment perfectly, and the steel on steel make it a decent variable weather gun. :cool:

Kentucky Rifle
January 9, 2003, 09:55 AM
Then, I began to think someone might steal it and use it for some nefarious purpose. (My Volvo had been broken into and the sound system ripped off three times.) Plus, my garage is made from concrete blocks except for the brick front. I began to notice just how much water those blocks held and I KNEW that couldn't be good for the firearm. So now "my car gun" is whatever is on my belt at the time.

KR

Soap
January 9, 2003, 10:29 AM
I only keep handguns on my person. For ltravelling I keep a longgun in the car according to local/state/federal laws.

10-Ring
January 9, 2003, 11:44 AM
Current "travel gun" is my compact USP. I don't really like the concept of leaving a gun unattended in the car, but I do like the idea of being able to defend myself & the occupants of my vehicle when I'm travelling.

Spoonman
January 9, 2003, 12:12 PM
Mostly, my 'car gun' is whatever I'm currently carrying. These days, it's a S&W 642 Centennial. If I'm headed out of town w/ the family, it would depend on where we were headed (and the weather). When we head to Atlanta next month, I'll be packing the 1911A1. When we go to the beach in the summer, I carry the Beretta .25 in a pocket and have the Ruger SP101 in the console or door compartment (not left in the vehicle overnight).

Clif

Tropical Z
January 9, 2003, 12:13 PM
Hi-Point compensated 9mm!!!
I tried to post its glorious photo,but apparently one can only post a particular photo one time,and thats it!:confused:

trapshooter
January 9, 2003, 04:51 PM
When travelling where I can do it, usually a PPKS. Used to be either the PPKS or a M36 S&W, but the 36 is gone, now. Thinking about shifting to a Sig P245, if it will fit where I put it.

blades67
January 9, 2003, 04:55 PM
The one I'm carrying when I get into the car.

cobb
January 9, 2003, 05:48 PM
My dedicated Jeep gun is a Rossi 720, 44 special.

bigmtnman
January 9, 2003, 05:52 PM
My "traveling gun" is a CZ52 7.62x25. When I'm in the car it's stuffed between the front seats in the military holster it came with. When I leave the car it goes in the trunk. I figure if I'm going to have a "car" gun it might as well chamber a round that will be able to penetrate a car.:p

alamo
January 9, 2003, 05:56 PM
A Makarov for around town and whatever's in my pocket. For long trips, I take a S&W revolver also.

zxc
January 9, 2003, 05:57 PM
Spoonman-Id advise you not to leave handguns in the car at the beach. Just from experience.
Car gun is revolver(s) if with family, alone its anything Id fancy to.

Archie
January 9, 2003, 06:02 PM
If I'm travelling by car, I want something with some authority and range.

So my "car handgun" is a 6" S&W M29. There's a couple places my car will hold it. Depending on where I'm going, there's a short rifle somewhere reasonably handy. The short barreled 6.5x55 Swede is really excellent for such use.

MrPink
January 9, 2003, 06:15 PM
My car gun is usually my carry gun: HKP7PSP and/or S&W 340PD Centennial. For variety, I 'll sometimes tote around a 1911.

Wildalaska
January 9, 2003, 06:20 PM
I keep an Erfurt Luger, 1916 Vintage, in my car all the time.

bpisler
January 9, 2003, 07:23 PM
My ruger P-95dc or 625 mountain gun in 45 colt.

Greybeard
January 9, 2003, 08:05 PM
"Always" j-frame always on bod. For road trips, Glock 36 added somewhere close but concealed up front. .410 Snake Charmer remains "always gun" in trunk.

New_comer
January 9, 2003, 08:42 PM
Since I have only one, then it has to be my USP9f

STEVE M
January 9, 2003, 08:50 PM
J frame on the ankle. Easy and unobtrusive to draw, no brass

flying around in the car, very hard for someone to grab in a

car-jacking. SIG 220 on the hip is primary for when I'm out of the

car. As a bonus the J works as a backup when out of the car. I'm

not fond of leaving a gun in the car.

teppo-shu
January 9, 2003, 08:52 PM
I always thought it a good idea to have a little sumpin' in the trunk in case all my sit. awareness and carry skills froze up & I got carjacked.

Nice surprise for Mr. BG when he gets you out to Nowhereville to "do" you.

Maybe J-frame or Mak? Loaded w/ FMJ you could even shoot thru the seats, no?

Neal Bloom
January 9, 2003, 08:56 PM
.357 mag.

Peter M. Eick
January 9, 2003, 09:40 PM
Witness 10mm and 3 extra mags of silvertips!

Hawaiian
January 9, 2003, 10:00 PM
Car gun is the one I am going to carry that day. I don't leave it in the vehicle. It's not losing the gun to some thief, but what that thief might do with my gun.

Glockorama
January 9, 2003, 10:40 PM
Tokorev in 7.62x25, for same reasons as stated by bigmtnman.

starfuryzeta
January 9, 2003, 10:45 PM
Another 7.62x25 (CZ52) in the car here.

Longbow
January 10, 2003, 12:15 AM
S&W model 10. I bought it cheap, so its not really gonna be a heart breaker if it get stolen.

Double Naught Spy
January 10, 2003, 12:52 AM
Let's see, if a deer rifle is a rifle used for shooting deer, a duck gun for shooting ducks, a varmit gun for shooting varmits, then a car gun must be for shooting cars. You gotta go with the largest caliber handgun you can find, or better yet, a large caliber rifle.

Seriously, most of the time is a full-sized 1911 worn IWB. If I am going on a long car trip, I will often carry my officer's 1911 in a fanny pack that is worn in front, the lap belt passing under it, and it serves as a nice cross-draw holster. The down side is that it tends to put pressure on the bladder and so stops may be more frequent.

*8*
January 10, 2003, 01:06 AM
I don't have a car handgun, I do carry a SIG 228 with me at all times though and switch to a NAA .22 mini revolver in the summer months and keep a Maadi AK47 or an Oly arms AR15 in my truck, kinda like a "trunk"/truck gun, if I go out of town.

Blackhawk
January 10, 2003, 01:16 AM
Cars are pretty hard to stop with a handgun, but if one comes after me, a .45 with FMJs would be my preference. Instead of just putting holes in its windshield, it should mess it up pretty bad so maybe I'll have time to climb a tree or something.

Freedom in theSkies
January 10, 2003, 01:23 AM
.50 AE in a Desert Eagle...
I aimed one at a Ford Fairmont one time and the hubcaps fell off....:p

firestar
January 10, 2003, 02:05 AM
I have bought several guns for the intended use as a car gun but I can't seem to bear leaving them in the car where they might get ganked by a local teenager.

I bought these guns for car carry but for stated reasons they didn't work out. Some I still have while some are gone. I have many guns that don't serve any particular purpose. I think most people could get along with only 4-6 handguns and never feel wanting for any real need.

CZ-70 .32acp: too small caliber for car use and DA trigger was extremly heavy.

Ruger P89 9mm: too big to fit in my glove box.

Charter Arms SS Off Duty .38spl: perfect car gun, SS and light and handy and accurate and decently powered. The only problem was someone offered me so much for it that I thought it was too expensive to use as a car gun anymore. :rolleyes:

Star Firestar M-43 9mm in Starvel finish: I actually thought I would leave this beauty in my car unprotected! Ha!

S&W 59 nickel 9mm: a little big but reliable, someone offered me way more than I thought it was worth so it hit the road.

S&W 36-1 3"bbl: it was cheap ($171.00) but I got it online and thought it was more beat up than it was. When I recieved it, it was gorgeous! No way could I leave this blued steel beauty in my car to rust. It has had a pro trigger job done to it that was not mentioned in the ad and it may have one of the best SA triggers I have ever felt on a revolver. It shoots like a dream more accurate than it has a right to be!

Now I just use my CCW.

Gopher
January 10, 2003, 11:18 PM
Currently it's a Taraus PT 22 kept in the center seat console. Previously in my old truck it was an Ithaca model 37 loaded with 00 and slugs with a stock sleeve full of #4 buck.

Havent figured how or where to carry the Ithaca in the new truck. It's an extended cab and I cant place stuff behind the seat like I used to. I'll have to look for an inexpensive 1911 somewhere I guess.

CTgunteacher
January 11, 2003, 10:07 AM
My car gun is the Commander .45 that rides behind my hip daily. It's not a handgun, but does the Enfield .303 in the trunk count?

Mike

Bob R
January 11, 2003, 03:41 PM
Mine is a CZ 52 ( for the reasons stated earlier). I drive a 78 ford van with a holster mounted to the dog house. Behind the drivers seat is either an SKS or Enfield jungle carbine.

Not paranoid, just prepared!

bob

HS/LD
January 11, 2003, 06:01 PM
9mm w/ 124 grain +p Golden sabres

HS/LD

KPersimmon
January 11, 2003, 07:59 PM
A Llama small-frame .380. I can leave it above the sun visor, and it's light and slim enough to ride and sit just fine. (I sometimes almost forget that it's there, so I'm glad that I have my CCW permit and rarely travel out of my state.)

However, I just have to remember to remind the wife that the pistol is up there whenever she drives, otherwise when she goes to flip down the sun visor...well, bad scene!

cratz2
January 11, 2003, 08:07 PM
Anything that isn't ported or compensated. ;)

Combat Commander in 38 Super? If the round was designed to shoot into cars, it should do a decent job of shooting out of cars if need be.

TallPine
January 11, 2003, 09:57 PM
I think a roof mounted 50 caliber belt fed would be just about right.

JohnKSa
January 11, 2003, 10:44 PM
CZ-52 in 7.62x25.

More popular than I would have guessed, although I've thought for some time now that it was a great choice for this application.

Ewok_Guy
January 11, 2003, 10:55 PM
I'll also have to go with the '52.

sonoranjack
January 12, 2003, 04:20 PM
I don't believe in having different handguns filling different rolls. I believe in having 1 defensive carry pistol & 1 defensive pistol only. Which for me is a Glock 17. So when I get in my car my G17 is with me. Now it might be a good idea to have a rifle/shotgun in the trunk. Also an exact copy of your defensive carry pistol unloaded/locked with ammo, mags, & xtra holster/mag carrier/belt.

P95Carry
January 12, 2003, 04:21 PM
As SonoranJack said (twice :) ) ...... the same weapon .. as carry .. it's on my person at all times. P95 ... in case you hadn't guessed!:p

Usually there is also a rifle on back seat ... covered by general assortment of things!

cratz2
January 14, 2003, 12:40 AM
I don't know if I like the idea of a dedicated car gun to leave unattended in the car. If anything, maybe a shotgun or 243 carbine in the trunk, but not a handgun.

denfoote
January 14, 2003, 07:15 AM
Hi-Point compensated 9mm!!!
I tried to post its glorious photo,but apparently one can only post a particular photo one time,and thats it!

That is a very good thing!!!! :neener:

Tropical, I would tell you how to get around that, but it would be against my religion!!!! :D

My truck gun is Pistolet Makarova!! :cool:

xjer
January 14, 2003, 08:18 AM
Ruger P95DC is left in the car. Its not really there for
quick self defense. Just for what if situations. It is
hidden so if the car was broke into they would have
to spend some time to find it.

Mike

dacinokc
January 14, 2003, 10:11 AM
For the discussion of should one keep a gun in the car-
I have been into high end stereo for years, and I have been ripped off quite a bit. Over the years though, I have learned to reduce the odds a bit. The car is alarmed to the nines, with interior pain generators. Nothing is in the open, including the firearms.
But a good deal is common sense. I park in well traveled lighted places. I park in monitored garages. I park in the garage at home. Common sense will keep the stuff in your car yours.
And I carry a boat load of extra insurance on the car, and the stereo, and I have a firearm rider on the car.
I do keep a firearm in the car, and intend to keep doing so.

MarineTech
January 14, 2003, 11:29 AM
Generally, I don't keep a handgun specifically for my car. I usually carry my Kimber Compact or Sig 239 on me, so a dedicated car handgun is redundant. I do usually keep a rifle in the trunk, "just in case". In the last 6 years, I've put down 1 dog, 2 deer, and a bear. All involved in vehicle accidents. Due to that, I usually keep my Marlin Guide Gun or my M1 carbine in the trunk.

Mastrogiacomo
January 14, 2003, 12:07 PM
Can't carry. It would have to be locked away in a case in the trunk. :fire:

Sven
January 15, 2003, 03:43 AM
Ditto.

Slow
January 15, 2003, 03:52 AM
Usually GP100 with .357 Silvertips

Bainx
January 15, 2003, 07:09 PM
Makarov on-board at all times.

Gewehr98
January 15, 2003, 11:25 PM
If I'm trying to stop a car, either my Wichita Silhouette handcannon, or Mark I Desert Eagle.

If I'm just carrying a defensive handgun in the car, it's either a Kahr K9, Caspian Officer's ACP, or S&W Model 36 Chief's Special. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "What Handgun Do You Use For A Car Gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!