On replacing trigger and hammer springs

PDA

Guitargod1985
September 11, 2007, 04:40 AM
I'm giving some thought to ordering replacements for the trigger spring and hammer spring on my Taurus 605, but I would like to replace the springs myself rather than paying a smith.

Does anyone have any resources/links for spring replacement tutorials?

Thanks. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "On replacing trigger and hammer springs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
September 11, 2007, 09:39 AM
I can understand your desire for a lighter (probably much lighter) double-action trigger pull, and to save the cost of going to a professional...

But, ask yourself, "why did the factory put such heavy springs into the revolver in the first place?"

They did so because they wanted to be sure that the gun would fire in any emergency, no matter what. Mechanical conditions like cylinder end-shake can effect reliable ignition. So can fouling or dirt inside the action, or a lack of lubrication. The energy of the hammer blow is passed on to the firing pin through the transfer bar safety, and in the process some energy is lost. A hard firing pin impact can made the difference between a hard primer going off or not. My list could go on and on.

A better action involves much more then switching springs. Experienced gunsmiths that specialize in revolver action jobs are sometimes expensive, and often booked up for months - and if you think about this there must be a reason, and there is.

They know just how far to go, and what "improvements" are questionable and even counter productive.

If you want to smooth out the action yourself, get a set of snap-caps and dry-fire it about 1000 times. Then have the lockwork disassembled, cleaned and relubricated. This procedure is safe, and won't void your warrantee.

If you have to ask about "how do I do it," you probably shouldn't be - especially on a personal self-defense weapon. ;)

MrBorland
September 11, 2007, 10:22 AM
+1 on what Old Fuff said. OTOH, if your gun is range/plinking-only, and not meant for defense, what the heck, try some new springs. If you experience FTFs, try some Federal ammo, since they have relatively "soft" primers. Even so, I think you'll find it does nothing to improve the quality of the trigger (gritty, inconsistent, etc). May even make it more noticeable. I included a good read on triggers below. Yes, unfortunately, good revolver gunsmiths seem to have a long waits. Cunningham's is currently about a year (irrelevant in your case, though, since he doesn't work on Tauruses).

As Old Fuff indicated, dry firing would be good. It may help to smoothen it up a teeny bit, but in my experience, not much. To me, the real benefits of dry firing were 1) it helped develop a smooth DA trigger pull and 2) strengthened my trigger finger to the point where the stock pull weight is barely noticeable.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/action_performance.html

bluetopper
September 11, 2007, 07:39 PM
Just got through this week changing my hammer and trigger springs on both my Taurus Tracker revolvers model 455 45acp 6" and 2" barrels. I'd never done it either and there wasn't much to it if you're at all mechanically inclined.

It made a world of difference in the enjoyability of shooting them. I highly recommed doing it!
As a matter of fact, I cut two of the coils off the trigger spring on my 6'' target gun. Trigger is sweet and acts like a target gun now.

GRB
September 11, 2007, 08:11 PM
But, ask yourself, "why did the factory put such heavy springs into the revolver in the first place?" I have to agree whole heartedly with Old fluff on this one.

If you enjoyed reading about "On replacing trigger and hammer springs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!