Colt info please

PDA

ak-kev
September 11, 2007, 07:48 AM
Hey guys, Ive been looking for a website that shows in detail the Colt D-Frame revolvers, the different models, and the years they were produced. Does anyone know of such a site? I've always been a Colt dude, but the little D-frames have seemed to escape my interest till now. Thanks, Kevin.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt info please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
September 11, 2007, 08:11 AM
The Gun Parts Corporation (www.e-gunparts) has exploded view drawings and parts lists. I believe Colt still offers downloads in .pdf format of owner's manuals for the various D-frame revolvers made after World War Two.

At www.proofhouse.com you will find serial number vs. year of manufacture lists.

22-rimfire
September 11, 2007, 11:12 AM
You may try this web site for some info. I believe it is still a work in progress. The owner is a regular over on the Coltforum and is quite knowledgable. http://www.coltrevolvers.net/

Most of the good information on Colts is only available in books. There are a number of really excellent references which most Colt collectors will own.

GP100man
September 11, 2007, 02:10 PM
ak-kev
look on the web site for service phone #
call em up & theyyll run serial # & tell u when it was made, but thats all theyll tell you with out sending $75 for a complete history of said revolver.

GP100man

ak-kev
September 11, 2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks fellas!! I called today and got the years of all my 1911's:):):) I dont have but one D-Frame (a Magnum Carry) but I want to start picking up a few more. I was just curious about the different ones like the Detective Special, Cobra and Agent. It would be pretty cool to see the different years they were made and a few specs on them as well. I want to get my mind ready for the upcomming show this weekend!! Again.....much appreciated!! Kevin.

Old Fuff
September 11, 2007, 04:41 PM
Ah..... Don't forget the Diamondback. :)

22-rimfire
September 11, 2007, 07:26 PM
For basic information on production years and models, the Blue Book is not bad. You may already have one of them.

dfariswheel
September 11, 2007, 07:58 PM
The Magnum Carry is not a "D" frame.
It was made on Colt's last small frame, the "SF" frame.

Note that prior to WWII Colt did not assign letter codes to their revolvers. It was only after WWII that they started using letter codes like the "D" frame.

As I can remember, the Colt small frames from the beginning.

The New Pocket and Pocket Positive.
Made from 1895 to 1940. These were Colt's first small frame, swing-out cylinder double action revolvers. The Positive model noted the addition of Colt's "positive" hammer block safety system.

The Police Positive.
Made from 1908 to 1947. This was Colt's "perfected" swing-out cylinder design.
It was offered in a variety of now mostly obsolete short .32 and .38 low pressure cartridges.
The Police Positive was also made in a variety of Target models with 6" barrels and target style sights.

The Banker's Special.
1926 to 1940. The Banker's Special was simply a Police Positive with a 2" barrel.

The Police Positive Special.
1907 to 1946. This was Colt's Police Positive with an longer cylinder and frame to accommodate the more powerful .38 Special cartridge.
It was also made in a variety of Target models with 6" barrel and target sights.

The Detective Special.
1933 to 1995.
This was Colt's most famous and longest made small frame revolver. It was available in a number of calibers, barrel lengths, and finishes over the years.

The Colt Courier.
1953 to 1956. This was a "D" frame made in .22LR and .32 caliber with a 3" barrel.

The Colt Aircrewman.
1951. This was an experimental aluminum framed and cylindered revolver version of the Detective Special made for the US Air Force as a survival weapon.
About 1200 were made, only about 25 survived destruction.
The aluminum cylinder was found to be too weak for the .38 Special, and almost all of the guns were destroyed.

Colt Cobra.
1950 to 1981. The Cobra was basically a Detective Special with an aluminum frame.

Agent.
1950 to 1986. The Agent was a Cobra with a shorter grip frame and shorter grips. It was intended to be a deep concealment revolver of minimum size and bulk.

Diamondback.
1966 to 1986. The Diamondback was a premium model of the "D" frame, with a Python-like vented, ribbed, and lugged barrel, and Target hammer and grips.
Contrary to popular belief, the Diamondback did not receive the same level of tuning and polishing that the Super-premium Python received, it merely looked like a small Python.

Commando Special.
1984 to 1986. The Commando Special was a special model introduced during the big Colt strike, when Colt didn't have enough personnel to polish all the models being made. So, to allow continued production, the Detective Special was given a rough, unpolished black finish, and re-named "The Commando Special".

Viper.
1977. The Viper was an aluminum framed model with a 4" partially shrouded barrel. It was basically an aluminum framed Police Positive Special.

The Police Positive IV.
1993 to 1995. This was simply the Police Positive Special with a full length shrouded barrel.

The Colt SF-VI.
1995 to 1996. This was Colt's new small frame design utilizing a transfer bar ignition, basically a scaled down King Cobra action. Very similar in appearance to the older "D" frame Detective Special, it was made in stainless steel, but has little or no parts interchangeability with the older "D" frame guns.
It was intended to be the first in a complete series of small frame revolvers to replace the too-expensive to produce older "D" frame.
The name "SF-VI" or "Small Frame, Six Shot" was used only until the last of the older Detective Special guns were out of the wholesalers inventory.

The Colt DS-II.
1996 to 2000?? This was simply the SF-VI renamed. The "official" Colt name was DS-II NOT "Detective Special II".

The Colt Magnum Carry.
1998?? to 2000. This was the new "SF" frame chambered in .357 Magnum.

In 2000, Colt discontinued almost all revolver production, and the Magnum Carry was to be Colt's last small frame revolver.

cstone42
August 1, 2008, 02:55 AM
I have a Colt 38 DS II 4 inch barrel with a stainless finish. It has only fired about 100 rounds. I know they have discontinued this model, and was wondering how much it was worth. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

funnelcake
August 2, 2008, 12:13 AM
One update to dfariswheel's info; the Police Positive Special (regardless of name) had been manufactured in one iteration or another from 1907-1995. I believe the 3rd issue weapons began using the short frame (still with no barrel underlug). IV series production actually began in the early 70's and ran through I'm not sure when (short frame, partial barrel underlug -the Viper was just an alloy frame variant of this model). The Police Positive Mk V (short frame, full barrel underlug) was only made from 1993-1995 or 1994-1995 depending on your source.

Funnel

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt info please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!