TN reciprocity or open carry?


September 11, 2007, 09:21 AM
I'll be in eastern TN fly fishing this weekend. Wondering if anyone can guide me to the correct source to check reciprocity (I have a UT permit) and open carry rules for TN.???

If you enjoyed reading about "TN reciprocity or open carry?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
September 11, 2007, 09:26 AM

It may not be obvious at this site, but open carry is not allowed unless you have a valid HCP.

September 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
Tennessee recognizes all facially valid handgun permits, firearms permits, weapons permits, or licenses issued by another state according to its terms and will, therefore, authorize the holder of such out-of-state permit or license to carry a handgun in Tennessee. The person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times such person carries a handgun in this state.

It may not be obvious at this site, but open carry is not allowed unless you have a valid HCP.
Beautiful. Your link was exactly what I needed to get the correct information. Thanks a million!
I probably won't open carry much, but I like to know that if it gets seen its not really brandishing.

September 11, 2007, 11:30 AM
I travelled to Tennessee recently and apparently you CAN'T carry in national forests while in TN. I was aware of Nat'l Parks but nat'l forestes was a change for me compared to michigan.

September 11, 2007, 04:44 PM
Hmm that must be a federal thing here is what TN law says and it only applies to state and local parks. Kinda funny because our local National forest has 2 shooting ranges.

39-17-1311. Carrying weapons on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds. —

(a) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a), not used solely for instructional, display or sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

(b) (1) The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to the following persons:

(A) Persons employed in the army, air force, navy, coast guard or marine service of the United States or any member of the Tennessee national guard when in discharge of their official duties and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms or weapons;

(B) Civil officers of the United States in the discharge of their official duties;

(C) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the national guard when called into actual service;

(D) Officers of the state, or of any county, city or town, charged with the enforcement of the laws of the state, in the discharge of their official duties;

(E) Any pupils who are members of the reserve officers training corps or pupils enrolled in a course of instruction or members of a club or team, and who are required to carry arms or weapons in the discharge of their official class or team duties;

(F) Any private police employed by the municipality, county, state or instrumentality thereof in the discharge of their duties; and

(G) Also, only to the extent a person strictly conforms the person's behavior to the requirements of one (1) of the following classifications:

(i) A person hunting during the lawful hunting season on lands owned by any municipality, county, state or instrumentality thereof and designated as open to hunting by law or by the appropriate official;

(ii) A person possessing unloaded hunting weapons while transversing the grounds of any public recreational building or property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting with the intent to hunt on the public or private lands unless the public recreational building or property is posted prohibiting entry;

(iii) A person possessing guns or knives when conducting or attending “gun and knife shows” when the program has been approved by the administrator of the recreational building or property;

(iv) A person entering the property for the sole purpose of delivering or picking up passengers and who does not remove any weapon from the vehicle or utilize it in any manner;

(v) A person who possesses or carries a firearm for the purpose of sport or target shooting and sport or target shooting is permitted in the park or recreational area; or

(H) A registered security guard/officer, who meets the requirements of title 62, chapter 35, while in the performance of the officer's duties;

(2) At any time the person's behavior no longer strictly conforms to one (1) of the classifications in subdivision (b)(1), the person shall be subject to the provisions of subsection (a).

(c) (1) Each chief administrator of public recreational property shall display in prominent locations about the public recreational property a sign, at least six inches (6˛) high and fourteen inches (14˛) wide, stating:


(2) As used in this subsection (c), “prominent locations about public recreational property” includes, but is not limited to, all entrances to the property, any building or structure located on the property, such as restrooms, picnic areas, sports facilities, welcome centers, gift shops, playgrounds, swimming pools, restaurants and parking lots.

(3) The legislative body of any municipality or committee appointed by the body to regulate public recreational property may exempt public recreational property located within its jurisdiction from the requirements of subdivision (c)(1).

(d) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

[Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1990, ch. 1029, § 9; 1993, ch. 480, §§ 1-3; 1996, ch. 1009, § 23.]

September 11, 2007, 04:54 PM
Also, be advised that you cannot carry anywhere (or anyway) where alcohol is served for on premise consumption, but you can carry in a store that sells alcohol for off premise consumption. This includes restaurants that have a bar or serve wine or beer. If a place of business is posted, it is off limits of course.

September 11, 2007, 06:52 PM
I have reciprocity with VA with my TN permit, so I assume the same applies to a VA resident with valid carry permit.

With regard to National Forests. The areas I go which includes the Hiwassee river for trout fishing does not allow carry of firearms in National Forests. Yes, there is a shooting range there. TN has made the national forests into wildlife management areas (WMA) and the laws clearly state that you are not allowed to carry except during hunting season with a valid hunting license in the proper season. I called the state over the WMA issue and carry and they pretty much quoted the state regulations.

Good luck fishing! Where are you headed?

If you enjoyed reading about "TN reciprocity or open carry?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!