Taurus Judge 45/410

PDA

Ghostrider_23
September 11, 2007, 11:13 AM
What do you guys think about this pistol to keep in the truck incase of attack??? Rotating one cylinder with 410 shot the next with 45 LC, so on and so on......

Would this make a good truck gun and has anyone shot this pistol before????

What are your thoughts on how it shots?????

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Judge 45/410" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
critter
September 11, 2007, 11:58 AM
They are VERY big. The effectiveness of .410 shotgun ammo from the short barrel is very limited at anything but bad breath range. The shallow rifling in the barrel (so as not to scatter the shot pattern even worse) is not conducive to accuracy with ball loads.

Not for me. Your milage may vary and to each his own.

Diggers
September 11, 2007, 12:02 PM
Gun blast did a review on the Judge a while back. You can go read what they had to say about it.

Jorg Nysgerrig
September 11, 2007, 12:22 PM
I've shot one, it's pretty cool and you can do some fun things with it. I may even end with one sometime in the future.

Birdshot had a spread like you wouldn't believe. .45 Colt was actually pretty accurate out of it. It's a lot of fun to shoot and impressive to play with.

But, I also think it's a terrible choice for self-defense. There are more effective guns in smaller packages. For the same price you can get a Taurus 627 which would be superior in every way aside from the "cool factor". For a decent amount less, you could get a Taurus 65.

Buy the 45/.410 if you want to show off at the range or for the novelty factor. For serious work, get a more serious gun.

RyanM
September 11, 2007, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't try it. .410 slugs are 1/5th of an ounce. That's 87.5 grains. So it's like a .380, only pre-expanded. Buckshot is one of the most overrated things in existence. Even the 5-pellet 000 loads would be far from effective, compared to a standard .45 LC or .45 ACP JHP. Especially considering that the pellets would be plodding along at about 800 fps or less.

amper
September 22, 2007, 10:39 AM
The Judge is really only meant for self-defense in confined spaces.

For that purpose, I think it's been demonstrated that it's an effective weapon, when loaded with 3" 000 buck (I'd stay away from the 2.5" version). Many of the reviews I've read have only tested the weapon loaded with birdshot and/or at longer ranges than one will typically face in a home defense or carjacking scenario. Plus, you have the option of backing it up with one or two carts of .45 Colt, which ought to be enough for anyone.

I don't know about you guys, but my whole house only has a footprint of about 25x25, making it practically impossible to engage anyone at more than relatively short range. If they're outside, I'll be grabbing a shotgun or rifle, but inside, I feel much more confident in the maneuverability of the handgun with the relative safety of the shot as opposed to a bullet.

For carjacking scenarios, I think it's just as effective, plus if you need the weapon outside the car for some reason, you'll probably have time to swap out your ammo for something better suited to a particular purpose, and it's reasonably accurate with .45 Colt.

twinhairdryers
September 22, 2007, 03:15 PM
Neat novelty peice, and fun to play with as a range toy. Not a very good choice for self defense just due to size, weight, and recoil. You could point and shoot any j-frame quicker, get 3 shots off in the time it would take you to swing that monstrous chunk of metal. Then, if you miss with that first shot, the time for a follow up is not all that quick. I saw someone shooting one at the range and with the 410 loads, the muzzel rise had to be 4-5inches after a shot.

High on the cool factor, low on the practicality.

revjross
September 23, 2007, 07:55 PM
I have one and have only had it to the range once at this point. The number 4 shot will group pretty good up to about 10 yards and after that the pattern spreads out quite a bit. With the 45 Colt it was VERY accurate. The recoil is pretty punchy with the 410 load and no big deal at all with the 45. -- It was a blast to shoot!! -- I think the first shot or two at close range with 410 would be quite effective and then I would want 45 after that. -- I really like the gun and will probably keep it under the seat and have a lot of fun with it too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Judge 45/410" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!