What kind of Gun

PDA

Pocket Pistol
July 8, 2003, 12:02 AM
Ok
I was watching "Point of No Return" with Bridget Fonda, and the scene in the restraunt where she is given the gun and told to "put 2 in the VIP minimum"
What is the gun in the box ???

If you enjoyed reading about "What kind of Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zundfolge
July 8, 2003, 12:36 AM
It was a Hammerli 280 .22 target pistol :rolleyes:

http://members.aol.com/rllyvncnt/hammerli.jpg

http://www.moviebadgirls.com/gunpage_104_1.html

In the original French film La Femme Nikita she's given a Desert Eagle in the resturant.

Pocket Pistol
July 8, 2003, 12:46 AM
I thought it looked like a 22
But when the movies got through with it, it sounded BIGGER and the barrel looked bigger then a 22.

But hey that was a good job picking it out like that.

Though I would have picked something different for a hit.

Mike Irwin
July 8, 2003, 01:32 AM
I think, but am not sure, that Hammerli also makes a .32 S&W Long version of this gun.

Zundfolge
July 8, 2003, 09:26 AM
.22 or .32; you decide.

http://www.gunchic.com/capimage/Point_Of_No_Return_13.JPG

I think it looks like a .22 to me. But what bothers me is that it was picked by the prop guys because it looked evil and menacing ... clearly its an Assault Pistol! :fire:

Its crap like this that "educates" the public on what weapons should be banned.

Pocket Pistol
July 8, 2003, 09:54 AM
It does look smaller in that shot.

Yep don't you love stupid people.

Stupid breeds Stupid

brownie0486
July 8, 2003, 09:59 AM
Zundfolge:

How did you come by the info it was picked by the prop guys? Or their reasoning behind using it as you suggest?

"Its crap like this that "educates" the public on what weapons should be banned."--------

When I watched the movie I didn't take it that they used it for it's evil looking features, It was just a pistol, no more or less.

BTW--.22's are very often used for hits in the real world. The Hammerli may have been used as it's design allows one to reach out with pinpoint accuracy at greater distances.

How did you come up with some sort of anti-gun agenda by watching that movie?

Brownie

Pocket Pistol
July 8, 2003, 10:04 AM
I am not sure of Zundfolge's reasoning but that is not really the gun that goes with an evening out on the town in a nice dress.
A Beretta, Walther TPH or any other small 22 would work just as well for where they were.
I also think the effects guys over did it on the effects, It sounded like a 9mm or bigger and was blowing holes in stuff 22's won't.
Not necesarily ANTI gun but just typical Stupid Hollywood creative liscense.
I just wish they would be a little more realistic some times

Meowhead
July 8, 2003, 10:37 AM
Riiight...I could see it now. Actors would be shooting themselves all the time, due to their amazing gun safety habits. Glocks that made the hammer-cocking noise would actually be broken. Magazines would run dry after ten rounds (unless shooter was LEO ;) ). Nobody would be able to hit anything. Cars and buildings wouldn't explode after being hit with .22 LR rounds. Sound would be nearly muted during and after the first gunfight of the movie....

After that last sentence, I feel like watching Heat again.

Mike Irwin
July 8, 2003, 11:43 AM
Uhm... There's a gun in that picture?

All's I'm seeing is Brigitte Fonda...

brian0128
July 8, 2003, 08:07 PM
I saw one of those guns at the last gun show and the price was over a $1000 dollars! Expensive gun.

Pheonix
July 8, 2003, 08:10 PM
Mike beat me to it! Looks good in that movie. Too bad about her mom...

Dr.Rob
July 9, 2003, 12:43 PM
Yes and in the original the Desert eagle is filled with titanium Bullets :rolleyes: but there is a cool scene where you follow the bullet's path THROUGH porcelin counter and into a bad guy.

Luc Besson makes good shoot 'em up scenes.

hksw
July 9, 2003, 04:59 PM
In the poster for the movie (known as The Assassin in other markets outside of the US) at least, the gun was indeed chambered for .32 SW. (Unless they swapped out the .22 lr's finger grooves with the .32 SW's.) I could have sworn when I watched a rented tape of the movie a long while back that the gun was .32 SW (using the pause).

bogie
July 9, 2003, 05:08 PM
BTW--.22's are very often used for hits in the real world. The Hammerli may have been used as it's design allows one to reach out with pinpoint accuracy at greater distances.

Huh? .22s are used because they're quieter, and more than a few "hit men" don't shoot too well to start with, so they pick something that doesn't kick a lot. I wonder how many Hammerlis have been used in crimes vs. how many Raven .22s...

The Hammerli may be a LITTLE more accurate than a Ruger Mark II, but it is the shooter who determines the ultimate accuracy, not the piece. And yeah, I _do_ know what I'm talking about there.

"Pinpoint accuracy" is B.S.

They picked it because it looks cool. They picked it because of the large-looking magazine up front. They picked it because it is a darn sexy handgun.

Ian11
July 9, 2003, 05:29 PM
What a truly awful movie Point of No Return was.

The orginal French version is SO superior to the American version. Anne Parillaud is way more convincing as an assasin and we get to see an early version of Leon as "the Cleaner".

When they subsitituted a sexy 2 tone Desert Eagle for that ungainly looking .22 target gun I nearly howled at the screen.

Unfortunately she has both fingers on the trigger in this poster. She's French. What are ya gonna do? :rolleyes:

George Hill
July 9, 2003, 05:52 PM
"The orginal French version is SO superior to the American version."

:rolleyes:
The French always say that.

hksw
July 9, 2003, 08:20 PM
"The orginal French version is SO superior to the American version."

As much as i don't care for the French and French products, in this particular case though, IMO, the original is better.

cool45auto
July 9, 2003, 08:50 PM
Found a copy of the original on DVD the other day. Excellent movie.

Skunkabilly
July 9, 2003, 09:07 PM
clearly its an Assault Pistol!
You know what's pathetic, by features, they are legally defined as assault weapons in California.
There was protest that the SB23 assault ban would make model citizens like Olympic shooters felons. The senator, remarked, "They should move to Texas"

:cuss: Perata and :cuss: :cuss: those animals who made Oakland the felon capital of the world and that voted for him.

cool45auto
July 9, 2003, 10:33 PM
Come on Skunk, tell us how you really feel!:p

Skunkabilly
July 10, 2003, 01:35 AM
Come on Skunk, tell us how you really feel!

Oh, I haven't even started.... :banghead:

Fly Navy
July 10, 2003, 01:46 AM
I'd hit it. :evil:

winstonsmith
July 10, 2003, 02:21 AM

I don't.

Cause then I'd be watching people go to work, get harassed by their bosses, do stupid stuff, eat, work more, go home, eat, watch TV, sleep.

Reality sucks sometimes. That's why there are movies.

Duh.

Antis will be antis whether this move "educates" them or not.

Pocket Pistol
July 10, 2003, 08:14 AM
Cause then I'd be watching people go to work, get harassed by their bosses, do stupid stuff, eat, work more, go home, eat, watch TV, sleep.

Not what I was meaning.

Sometimes I just get tired of the endless 1000 round magazines and the 22 pistols that shoot 20mm rockets.

Of courst movies are to be fantasy but I wish their tech staff and prop, effects people would get some of their facts straight.

Pocket Pistol
July 10, 2003, 10:35 AM
OK, you guys are pretty good.

What kind of guns were Antonio and Sylvester using in "Assisians"
They had a big shoot out with what looked like silenced 22 autos
but never got a good look to see what they were.

Kharn
July 10, 2003, 10:38 AM
Weren't they using Ruger MkIIs?

Kharn

Pocket Pistol
July 10, 2003, 10:51 AM
I thought they were smaller, but I could be wrong.

brownie0486
July 10, 2003, 11:04 AM
bogie :

Pinpoint accuracy is what the Hammerlis are used for in competition.

It goes to the character and plot to a degree.

Damned if I would have been happy to see a Jennings in her hand, then it would be BS.

Brownie

mormonsniper
July 10, 2003, 11:59 AM
Muzzle out of focus.... Wide magazine well. Too wide for a 22 lr? Also, the size of the ejection port relative to grip lines compared to the picture of the 280 in 22lr seems to indicate that it is a 32 caliber Hammerli.... Hard to tell for sure.

hksw
July 10, 2003, 12:10 PM
The frames for the .22 lr and .32 SW are the same for the 280. Just an upper and mag swap between the two calibers.

If you enjoyed reading about "What kind of Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!