What are good 22LR Revolvers

PDA

30-06 lover
September 12, 2007, 01:58 AM
I am very new to handguns, and am looking to buy a 22 revolver to carry while hunting (A lot of rattlesnakes around). I might see a grey squirrel or two that would look good on grill too. I am looking for an accurate 22LR revolver to meet these needs. A gun I could buy oversized grips for would be a plus. Like I said, I am very new to handguns and I am not looking for "which should I get" as much as what brands and models are always ranked high by all like the 10/22, 700, 70, etc are to rifles. Thanks!
-Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "What are good 22LR Revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Logan5
September 12, 2007, 02:39 AM
Are you after a DA or a SA revolver? In SA, the Ruger Single-Six is pretty universally loved, but I'm not sure if that's so true when we come into the venomous snake defense territory. They are pretty hot on squirrels, however. In Smiths, I guess you need to try your hand size against J and K frames, as well as some L frame .22 LR's.

XavierBreath
September 12, 2007, 07:38 AM
If you can find one, a used K-22 or Model 17 Smith & Wesson with enough finish wear to take it out of collector status. They are not cheap, so don't think "used gun, save money....". They are, however, a fantastic gun that you will love the rest of your life, as will your grandchildren when it is handed down to them. Start shopping with $500 in your pocket and go from there. These are a K frame. and have probably more grip options than any other revolver. Do not worry about the price.......you will make your money back when or if you sell it.

Another great option, designed for the use you describe, is the Smith & Wesson Model 34-1 .22/32 Kit Gun (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/08/smith-wesson-model-34-1-2232-kit-gun.html), but it is a J frame.

S&W does offer the 10 shot Model 617 (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14748&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15705&isFirearm=Y) new nowadays, but it is nowhere near the revolver of the older ones. MSRP is $814

http://www.bayourovers.com/Model17ssmall.jpg

tackleberi
September 12, 2007, 08:10 AM
+1 on XavierBreath's well-worded suggestions.

If DA is what you are looking for, the Model 17 S&W is pretty tough to beat. If you compare/contrast it against a new-production 617, the premium used-gun price you pay for the older 17 quickly becomes reasonable. The 617 is an excellent gun too ( I had one before my 17; I just sold my other 17), but the 17 just has a certain feel to it. Not to mention, 17's don't have the lock; I'm not trying to highjack this gentlemans thread with a lock debate, but in comparing the two this was an important consideration for me.

Good luck in your search.

Master Blaster
September 12, 2007, 08:46 AM
If you look around you may be able to find a pre 17 or a used 17 for well under $500, last year I aquired a full underlug 17 in excellent condition with a Burris scope for $400, a couple months before that I spotted a 1955 vintage 6" pre 17 in excellent condition for $325, in the same shop.

Another gun to consider is the taurus 94, or its satinless cousin the 941? I have an older blued one that was bought new in 1998, and has many thousands of rounds through it with no problems and excellent accuracy, it even has a good DA trigger. Its smaller than the Kframe smiths, the size of a 34, Its my daughter's favorite revolver.

22-rimfire
September 12, 2007, 08:59 AM
New Guns: The best choices are the Smith & Wesson Model 617 in either a 4 or 6" barrel. Smith also makes the Model 317 which is their light (and small) aluminum framed J-frame in 22LR and 22WMR. This is primarily a short barreled pocket type gun. Great little gun, but the larger 617 is a better all around gun to shoot. There are also choices made by Taurus as well available. Ruger makes their Single Six and Bearcat single action 22 revolvers. I'd choose the Single Six if you want a single action over some of the "other brand" revolvers available.

The next tier of firearms are made by folks like Heritage Arms, Charter Arms, and Rossi. They tend to be less expensive and a lesser product than the above mentioned firearms.

Used:

I highly recommend one of the following 22 double action revolvers: Smith & Wesson Model 17 or 18, or the smaller Model 34's, Colt Trooper Mark III, Colt Diamondback, Colt Officers Model Match, or the Colt Trooper. The least expenisive of the Colts is the Trooper Mark III. Spend the extra money and buy one of the above revolvers. You will not regret it.

Single Actions Used: Colt New Frontier or Peacemaker or Ruger Single Six. The Colts are more expensive, but worth it if you can find one.

There have been many different models made by other companies. They include Taurus, Ruger, Charter Arms, Rossi, High Standard, Harrington & Richardson. Generally a lesser product than Colts or Smiths, but serviceable for the most part.

Best advice for TODAY (quality and price): Buy either a Colt Trooper Mark III in 4 or 6" barrel length or Colt Officers Model Match, OR Smith & Wesson Model 17 (6" barrel normally, but some 4" available) or Model 18 (4" barrel). On new production, go with Smith Model 617 in either 4 or 6" barrel. (This is the stainless steel version of the older Model 17 or Model 18 (K-22) which you hear so much about as being the best 22 revolver for the money. Spend the extra $$ on a well made 22 revolver and you are likely to never loose money if you sell it or you'll have a great revolver for the rest of your life and probably your children's and grand children's lives.

XavierBreath: Great post and good advice. The wear issue is significant as many of these revolvers are being purchased these days as collector pieces. That especially applies to the Colt revolvers which is why the price has been driven up in recent years. The Colt Diamondback is also a fine choice if you can find one that has a little finish wear to take it out of the collector status ranks.

MrBorland
September 12, 2007, 09:33 AM
Lots of good info here. I'm lusting for a nice Model 17 myself, and will likely pick up a Single Six soon.

You didn't say how much you wanted to spend, but you did say you wanted an accurate revolver, and I'm guessing you mean out-of-the-box accurate. Maybe way over your budget, but I just thought I'd throw it out there that Freedom Arms makes what is considered by many the finest and most accurate single action revolvers made today. Their Model 97 .22LR comes with barrel lengths of 4.25" to 10". MSRP is a mere $1840.

http://www.freedomarms.com

GunTech
September 12, 2007, 10:02 AM
+1 XavierBreath

http://guntech.com/revolver/k22s.jpg

Or if you like them smaller

http://guntech.com/revolver/34s.jpg

MatthewVanitas
September 12, 2007, 10:15 AM
The lowest I've seen a used S&W 34 in a shop is $300 or so.

However, I've seen a bunch of used Ruger Single Six revolvers for $200 or less, and those are outstanding revos. You can also buy various oversized aftermarket grips for them.

If you like the single-action (cowbody-style) guns like the Single Six, but want smaller, Ruger also makes the Bearcat ($350 new or used). The only downside is that the Bearcat has fixed sights, and also small grips.

Sidenote, since these bear/snake/cougar threads drive me nuts:

Reported snakebites per year in U.S.: 7,000
Dog bites requiring stitches " : 800,000
Dog bites requiring emergency room visit " : 368,000

Snakebite fatalities per year in U.S.: 15
Dog attack fatalities per year in U.S.: 26

CDC notes that: [Of the 7000 bites] "Approximately 3000 are classed as "illegitimate," meaning these bites occurred while the victim was handling or molesting the snake."

I'd be far more worried (relatively speaking) about other human beings than I would be about snakes, or bears, or cougars.

welldoya
September 12, 2007, 10:36 AM
I agree with what has been said here. Xavier and 22 rimfire both gave excellent advice. I have most of the revolvers mentioned and you just can't go wrong with an S&W 17........if you have the money. The Single Six is a great gun at a reasonable price but is slow to load. The Colt MKlll is very accurate, great action but is heavy so that might be a consideration if you are going to holster it.
For a cheap revolver, I like the old High Standards - Sentinel or Double Nine.
They aren't in near the class of the others but can be found for less than half the price.
Why not an semi-auto like a Ruger MKll or lll ? They are reasonable and great pistols.

MrBorland
September 12, 2007, 10:44 AM
One additional note on the Single Sixes: The .22LRs come with an extra cylinder to let you shoot .22magnums simply by switching the cylinder. The extra versatility is a nice feature if you see yourself ever needing a .22mag revolver. Many used Single Six's I see for sale, however, are missing the extra cylinder. The price is (usually) reduced because of this, so if you're not interested in the extra cylinder, it's your gain. Just know that Single Six's ought to have 2 cylinders.

yesit'sloaded
September 12, 2007, 10:50 AM
My girlfriend has a blued Ruger SS6 and another long barreled one in stainless for when she feels like dressing up at the range. They are accurate little guns, and as for self defense I'm not going to argue for the .22, but I will say " I don;t want to be hit with one".

22-rimfire
September 12, 2007, 11:13 AM
Not a thing wrong with the single actions made by Ruger. Quality is very good. I just prefer the convenience of loading and unloading that you get with a double action revolver. I don't shoot the double action revolvers in double action often if I'm trying to hit something, but they are fun to shoot double action and for plinking. Double action shooting is also a choice parameter when it comes to choosing a revolver. You tend to get a better trigger on the larger framed Colts and Smiths (K-22). But the Colt Diamondback has an excellent trigger and it is the medium sized D-frame. I have always held that the 4" Diamondback was just about the perfect blend of size, weight, and function for a 22 revolver. The prices on Diamondbacks have been sky high in the last couple of years and rising quicker than many Colt models due to collector interest.

Yes, the main negative I believe with regards to the Colt Trooper Mark III is the weight. It was made as a 357 revolver with the larger frame. The barrel is the same diameter but with a smaller hole for 22lr.

I love 22 revolvers!

gggman
September 12, 2007, 12:00 PM
I agree that S&W model 17's are pretty sweet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/gggman/Guns/Dsc00239.jpg

Mr White
September 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
CDC notes that: [Of the 7000 bites] "Approximately 3000 are classed as "illegitimate," meaning these bites occurred while the victim was handling or molesting the snake."
That's just sick. They deserve to get bit.

But to stay on topic, +1 for the Single Six, Its the only way to go if you're thinking about a single action revolver.

Well, throw a party for me! This is my 1000th post!

SeanSw
September 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
I originally wanted a Ruger single-six until I had the chance to use one and found myself running through ammo far too quickly for a single action revolver. The SA trigger on my 6" 617 is better than the Ruger I handled and there has been no occasion where the single action gun would have pleased me more.

The 617 series are very heavy guns for the caliber, but that is my only complaint (unless you find a new model with an internal lock). Buying a .22 revolver is one of the best purchases I've ever made. Spend the money upfront for a truly good example and enjoy it.

savit260
September 12, 2007, 02:18 PM
I like Colts.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/savit260/rnadom%20stuff/IMG_0330.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/savit260/rnadom%20stuff/IMG_0328.jpg

Jubjub
September 12, 2007, 02:35 PM
My current .22 revolver is a Ruger SP101. They are no longer producing the .22, but they aren't what you would call rare, and there doesn't seem to be a collector's market for them. Mine is the original version with the half lug barrel, and is quite a nice shooter.

Neophyte1
September 12, 2007, 02:41 PM
30-06 lover: Sir; Bang for the Buck "Ruger Single Six" convertible. :D
5 1/2" Well Balanced
Already stated by others. I agree.

Craig

Majic
September 12, 2007, 03:26 PM
If you happen to run across a Dan Wesson .22lr revolver then give it a try. They are extremely accurate, flexible since you can change barrel length plus configuration, and generally reasonable in price.

Brian Williams
September 12, 2007, 03:28 PM
No one has mentioned the S&W 35, J frame with a 6" barrel. sweet.

TonyT
September 12, 2007, 07:49 PM
30-06 Lover,
For the use you are describing either an Older S&W K-22 (Model 17) or the current S&W 617 would be ideal. The older K-22's without the underlug in 6 in bbl. are about as sweet a shooter as you can find and the 10 shot 617 in 4inch bbl is also a great gun to shoot. Some people enjoyed shooting the S&W J fame (Model 34, or Model 63). They are a bit smaller but do not have the same action as the K-frame models.

351 WINCHESTER
September 12, 2007, 08:10 PM
The gunsmiths in the Phillippines figured out a long time ago that they could make a revolver that would shoot both the .22lr and the .22mag., from the same cylinder. Needless to say, they work. The hardest part for them to make is the cylinder and at one time I'm pretty sure they outsourced them. Wouldn't it be nice if we could do the same thing?

Ala Dan
September 12, 2007, 08:25 PM
In a DA revolver, I'd say its hard too beat a Smith model 17, 18, 34, 43, or 63~! ;)
Also, there is a S&W model 35; but they are extremely rare. Keep in mind for
a S&W stainless model 617 as well; 6" barrel versions are common, but 4"
barrels do exist~! ;):D

In SA revolver's, my vote has to go to Ruger's Single-Six Convertible in .22LR
with a .22 WMR cylinder. Wow~! what a piece-~~!

Starter52
September 12, 2007, 09:05 PM
Did anyone mention the old H&R Model 999 Sportsman? Top break, adjustable sights, nine shots and half the price of a Mod 34 Smith.

Socrates
September 12, 2007, 09:17 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/Socrates28/2523YES.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/Socrates28/2522.jpg

FA 83 252, or FA 97. Not much can touch em.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Freedom_97-22/Mvc-020f-sm.jpg

100-yard groups, fired in a strong crosswind, averaged 1" or less with the .22LR Match cylinder. Groups fired with the standard .22LR cylinder and the .22 Magnum cylinder were no less a testament to the jaw-dropping accuracy of the Freedom Arms Model 97 .22.
http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom_97-22.htm

n conclusion, I can state without hesitation that this Freedom Arms Model 97 is the most accurate handgun that I have ever touched to this date.

If you shop, you can find them in the 800-1200 range.

S Esq

Gaucho Gringo
September 12, 2007, 10:51 PM
Nobody has mentioned the Heritage Rough Rider yet so I will. For the $500.00 mentioned for S&W you can buy 3 Rough Riders, for the price of the Ruger you can buy 2 Rough Riders. I have owned the Ruger Single Six and I have shot a friends S&W and although they are nice guns I own a Rough Rider. Not quite as nicely finished but is accurate and has a nice trigger. Each to his own.

skeeter1
September 12, 2007, 11:48 PM
I've got an older S&W model 35 that makes a dandy squirrel hunting handgun. Basically a M34 kit gun, but with a 6" barrel, oversize grips, and target sights, and it weighs considerably less (26oz vs. 39oz) than a M17.

THere are only two problems: 1). They've become quite scarce, and 2). consequently it's become a collector's item, and they're currently selling for around $1K. Still, it's a mighty sweet shooter.

Here's a thread about M35s if you're curious.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=275955

Black Adder LXX
September 13, 2007, 12:01 AM
I got a used S&W 34 for about $350 but only because I couldn't find a Ruger sp101 in 22lr... I like it, but am still looking for the Ruger...

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/BlackAdderLXX/IMG_0034.jpg

MudPuppy
September 13, 2007, 12:07 AM
I HATE the grip on the single six--its too short and extremely uncomfortable.

It's too bad, because otherwise I love that pistol.

Michael_2112
September 13, 2007, 12:10 AM
I somewhat recently purchased a Ruger Single-Six and certainly no complaints. If you’re after a single action... the RSS seems to be built like a tank and the .22 mag option is nice as well.

I also agree with those who have suggested the Model 17, a really nice .22 revo.

Mike

bakert
September 13, 2007, 12:36 AM
These two well used .22 revolvers, especially the old model 17 that came to me rather beat up and left as is, suit my needs. Both shoot better than I am capable of.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/brumanj/Picture283.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/brumanj/Picture298.jpg

30-06 lover
September 13, 2007, 01:58 AM
Thank you all for the replies. To be more specific this is what I am looking for...

Single or double action, although I see no reason I would need a double unless I use the gun as a training gun for future big bore revolvers.

Prefer blued finish

Has to have an aftermarket larger grip. I have large hands and need a bigger grip. I see that Houge makes a Sigle Six grip. Any others?

No more than 500.00

From what I have seen online, the Ruger Single Six looks like something I might like, but after shooting a friends Smith&Wesson 629, I am want to save for the 617 in case I buy a 629 down the road? What do you suggest? Again thank you all.
-Mike

MrBorland
September 13, 2007, 09:09 AM
I bought a set of cocobolo Hogue grips for my Blackhawk and immediately noticed they were a bit wider than the factory grips. They feel great.

When I first picked up a single action revolver, I held it 2 handed and high, like I would my DA smiths. Yes, the grip felt tiny and cramped, and I don't have big hands. Keep in mind, thought that the grip design on SA revolvers was designed around 1-handed shooting. You'd normally grip the revolver low, with your pinkie under the grip. When I shoot that way, the grip feels great. For hunting, though, you'd probably want to shoot 2-handed, but use the low 1-handed position for your strong hand.

Here's a list of some custom gripmakers in case you think you'd want to go that route:

- Larry Caudill
- Roger Warmuskerken
- Paul Persinger
- Jim Martin
- Bob Leskovec/Precision Pro Grips
- Scott Kolar/SK Custom Grips
- Roy Fishpaw/Roy's Custom Grips
- Blumagnum/Tedd Adamovich
- Gripmaker
- Eagle Grips
- Buffalo Brothers

Jim Reaves
September 13, 2007, 09:27 AM
30-06 Lover - I teach Ladies Handgun Classes and wanted a .22 revolver for the ladies to practice with. I tried the new S&W and the Taurus Trapper. I purchased the Trapper for half the price and it is perfect. Many of the ladies try to buy it from me after the class. As a bonus, I hunt squirrels with it.

MatthewVanitas
September 13, 2007, 11:23 AM
From what I have seen online, the Ruger Single Six looks like something I might like, but after shooting a friends Smith&Wesson 629, I am want to save for the 617 in case I buy a 629 down the road? What do you suggest? Again thank you all

If you buy a used Single Six at a decent price, it'll be awfully easy to get your money back out of it if you decide to move to DA later.

If you watch Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, and Auctionarms for a week or two, you should see a used SS come up for a good price. The market's been funny this year, but I saw plenty around the $200 mark or less, including some pretty nice ones.

The Hogue was exactly the grip I was thinking of when you mentioned big hands, though I've also seen wooden overbuilt Ruger grips. You can probably start another thread just asking about oversized SS grips if you pick one up.

dvnv
September 13, 2007, 11:26 AM
30-06 Lover: I like single actions and in larger calibers shoot them almost exclusively...but, I have found I like double actions or autos in .22, it quickly becomes tedious to reload a single action. I'd vote for a double action, S&W or Colt...Freedom Arms (single action) if I was going to compete in sillywets. My .02, dvnv

Okiecruffler
September 13, 2007, 11:33 AM
Here's my current favorite, a Dan Wesson with 6 inch barrel. MOS (minute of squirrel) accurate out past 50 yrds with just about anything I feed it. Best of all, it feels just like it's big brother.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h234/okiecruffler/100_1807_edited.jpg

Spartacus451
September 13, 2007, 11:42 AM
The S&W 617 with lock that I had was the most accurate pistol I have ever shot. Off a rest @ 25 yards I was able get a dime size 5 shot group shooting single action. It felt noticeably more accurate then my Ruger MKIII Government.

22-rimfire
September 13, 2007, 12:30 PM
Most of the Colts have large grips or stocks if you choose one with their target stock design. Most common examples are seen on the Diamondback. You said $500; forget Diamondbacks unless you are just lucky. You will have trouble buying a Trooper Mark III for that price.

I would look for a used (slightly) Smith Model 17 or 18. Many of the 17's have large target grips and there are plenty of aftermarket designs for K-frames. I personally use Pachmayr grips on guns I shoot. You'll find a blue pre-lock Model 17 or 18 within your budget unless your budget is a worst case kind of number and you would really prefer a $300 gun. In that case, the Ruger Single Six is your gun.

Adweisbe: You have a great shooting Model 617. Keep it.

ReadyontheRight
September 13, 2007, 01:35 PM
If looking used, consider a Dan Wesson .22 (http://www.notpurfect.com/main/dwrev.htm). These may also be available new since CZ bought Dan Wesson.

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/dwpp.jpg

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/dw22.jpg

A nice-shooting double action revolver. You can also change the barrel length for different applications.

Ops Officer
September 13, 2007, 07:48 PM
I am very pleased with all of my pre-lock .22 S&Ws, Models 18-4 w/4" barrel, 17-4 w/6" barrel, and a 617, though I've yet to sight them all in. You preferred blued guns, but I have to tell you the 617 is quite a shooter. I looked high and low until I found a pre-lock 617 with no MIM parts. It has a sweet trigger as most Smiths have. But I'll probably have it tweaked some. I have a LNIB Model 41 .22 7 1/2" barrel autoloader coming, probably next week. I've read glowing reports of this model. I hadn't intended to get a .22 autoloader, but I just couldn't resist the Siren call. I'm told the Model 41 in the 5" barrel makes a pretty good plinker. But I've also read the Model 41 didn't like some brands of ammo. I'll have to discover that myself. Best of luck in your search.

Mastiff4570
September 13, 2007, 08:40 PM
I am New to the forum but ihave had several 22 revolvers i love the K22 as well as the rugers but it depends if you want a da 22 the 9 shot H&R 999

Mastiff4570
September 13, 2007, 08:44 PM
I fired literaly thousands of rounds through my H&R it was amazing

Catbird
September 13, 2007, 08:55 PM
My personal favorite is the Smith and Wesson model 617:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/SW617-Pics009.jpg

woad_yurt
September 16, 2007, 07:10 AM
Thank you, Starter52 and Mastiff4570. Finally, someone mentions H&R! You can buy 2 or maybe 3 for the price of one Ruger or S&W. Barrel lengths are 2 1/2, 4, or 6 inches and they're cheap, cheap, cheap. In the last year, I've bought two 922s and one 923 (same as a 922 but in nickel) and they cost me only $313 combined. There's also the H&R 949 if you like a semi-cowboy looking gun. All of the above are double action and hold nine rounds. Any other H&R people out there?

Peter M. Eick
September 16, 2007, 09:24 AM
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/eickpm/722_target.jpg

Never underestimate what a cheap Dan Wesson can do. The stainless ones go for a lot cheaper then the K-22's and are easier to pack around since I don't worry as much about them as my S&W's.

This is just cheap winchester ammo at 15 yards offhand. 50 shots per target.

XavierBreath
September 16, 2007, 11:21 AM
Ah.......The lovely H&R 923! Here's mine.
http://www.bayourovers.com/Hand26R923LEFT.jpg
H&R 923 Range Report (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/03/hr-923-range-report.html)

There is also the Smith & Wesson Model 34-1 .22/32 Kit Gun (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/08/smith-wesson-model-34-1-2232-kit-gun.html).
http://www.bayourovers.com/SmithWessonModel34-1LEFT.jpg

The_Shootist
September 16, 2007, 11:27 AM
...pre-lock of course. My first handgun of 10 yrs ago and one I'll never part with.

.22LR revolvers are just too much fun!

Tiny in Ohio
September 16, 2007, 11:31 AM
Ruger Single Six. Although it is single action, with practice it can shoot pretty quick. I have to convertable model, with both .22lr and .22mag cylinders, and I can tell you it is a great shooter.

MCgunner
September 16, 2007, 12:33 PM
Nobody has mentioned the Heritage Rough Rider yet so I will. For the $500.00 mentioned for S&W you can buy 3 Rough Riders, for the price of the Ruger you can buy 2 Rough Riders. I have owned the Ruger Single Six and I have shot a friends S&W and although they are nice guns I own a Rough Rider. Not quite as nicely finished but is accurate and has a nice trigger. Each to his own.

I quite understand. A little Rossi .22 Sportsman does me fine. NO, the DA trigger isn't great, but it's not exactly a self defense revolver. The SA is fantastic and the little revolver is VERY accurate. It's pretty easy to carry afield, too.

http://imageigloo.com/images/4813PICT0015-1.JPG

Socrates
September 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/Socrates28/Colt%20Trooper%20III/Troopercopy.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/Socrates28/Colt%20Trooper%20III/Trooper3copy.jpg

This Colt Trooper Mark III shot well. Thumbnail at 11 yards.

Don't know what they are going for now, but, they do increase in value.

I think they use MIM parts, but, they are well made parts, and don't feel like the cheap stuff S&W used in my 360PD..

S

Lashlarue
September 16, 2007, 07:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/C5Sam/22revolvers001.jpgTop one is a Heritage Rough rider I bought 15 years ago, 2 cylinders and quite accurate out to 50m.The bottom one is a NAA 22m 1 5/8" barrel, havent taken it to the range yet but it is really like a fine piece of jewelry.It will become my bug, once I get some range time with it.

30-06 lover
September 17, 2007, 08:54 PM
Sorry for my continued ignorance, but what is a pre-lock smith? Did they put some sort of lock on them now? Thanks.
-Mike

XavierBreath
September 17, 2007, 09:29 PM
Did they put some sort of lock on them now? Yep.

Killian
September 17, 2007, 09:48 PM
RG22. Lacking only in quality, accuracy, finish, and workmanship.

Or as one of my companions said after sampling the RG22's wares: "Ahhh...an excellent fighting wine! Notable only for the cheapness of its price!"

Ask someone on the forum...who'll admit they own one...to give it to you. Someone will do it...trust me.

Stumpy16076
September 18, 2007, 02:25 PM
H&R-great value! I have a Model 904, swing-out cylinder, slab-sided bull barrel, nice adj. sights. The DA is HEAVY but smooth, SA letoff is target grade! Nine shots, easy to reload, cost me around $200 or so. I also like my Ruger SS convertible-for snakes you can use the .22 mag cylinder and CCI shotshells. If you intend to get a Mod. 29 .44, I think your best choice is to go with one of the S&W DA .22's, for ease of familiarity/handling.

GaryP
September 18, 2007, 08:43 PM
Another excellent .22 Revolver for the money would be an older model Charter Arms Pathfinder (1980 or so) with a 4" or 6" barrel. They are not readily available though because those that have them tend to hang on to them. If you really want to reach out and take care of a venomous snake the Ruger New Model Single Six NR-9 Convertible (.22 LR / .22 WMR) with 9.5" barrel will fill the bill quite nicely. :D

:evil:

30-06 lover
September 18, 2007, 11:04 PM
"Yep."

Can you please explain further...what kind of lock, what is it supposed to do/lock? Thanks.
-Mike

22-rimfire
September 18, 2007, 11:24 PM
If you look at current production Smith & Wesson revolvers, you will notice a hole on the frame immediately back from the trigger. Smith provides a key with the purchase of a revolver which allows you to lock or unlock the trigger. It's called a trigger lock. It was developed as a result of the Clinton Admin "threatening" Smith & Wesson and S&W caved to their nudging. This was a child proofing thing. There is no national requirement for a trigger lock of any kind on a handgun. I understand that some states require them now; places like NJ and MD, I believe. (May be wrong on the states.) There are probably more. Ruger provides a lock with their guns, but it sort of a padlock with a cable that you add and lock.

The deal is that if you keep a firearm handy for self defense, no body I know ever locks their guns. Can't you see looking for the key in the dark with a burgler already inside your home up to no good.

Some people hate the locks. Others don't care. I'm in the "other" group. I have not had a lock failure (where the revolver locks up usually due to recoil), but others have.

Many people were very upset with S&W over the caving issue to the Clintons and the addition of the lock. Many stopped buying their guns at that time and I understand their sales dropped significantly.

Pre-lock guns such as the S&W Model 17 and 18 (K-22's) do not have a lock because the models were dropped prior to the lock being added to Smith's guns. Smith shifted to manufacturing pretty much only stainless steel and lightweight revolves (aluminum alloy or titanium) and no longer manufactures the old blue steel or nickel plated revolvers. There are still a few limited edition revolvers made in blue steel such as the Model 29 Classic (?) and the older Model 57 Mountain Gun. There are others. The model 617 has the lock.

wjaynes
October 4, 2007, 03:10 AM
This is my first post and I'm sure I'm going to catch hell, but here goes. I purchased a Taurus 941 Blue 2". I have owned a S&W 645 and 4506, Taurus PT58HC and 24/7 (45), Ruger (Old Model) Vaquero 45LC, Beretta 96D, Walther P22. These were all bought, shot, and sold since August 2006. After reading this: http://www.gunowners.org/a032100.htm
I doubt you could give me any Smith & Wesson product, even gave my two knives away.

In regards to the Taurus, stiff trigger on DA (+16 pound pull), I bought it on a Saturday (paid $270) and shot it on Sunday. 100 rounds of Federal 40 grain ammo. I had about 5 misfires in all, was able to get them to work on the next pass. At 25 yards I made three shots that ended up looking like a lower case "y". Yes, a 2" barrel, 25 yards, measured about 3/8". Taurus has a lifetime warranty, about half the price of Shoot & Wound. For snakes, varmints, and plinking I would recommend either the 4" or 5". As I said I purchased the blue, I would recommend the stainless (don't go Ultralight). I removed the grips, purchased Pachmayrs. I had a small bit of rust under the grip already. So for the few extra bucks up front, you will have a better looking pistol down the road.

zxcvbob
October 4, 2007, 03:22 AM
Is that H&R top-break revolver with a longish barrel (don't remember the model number... 99?) good enough for Bullseye target shooting? I currently shoot a Ruger .22/45 in a .22 pistol league, but I really like revolvers better.

wjaynes
October 4, 2007, 03:25 AM
This is my first post and I'm sure I'm going to catch hell, but here goes. I purchased a Taurus 941 Blue 2". I have owned a S&W 645 and 4506, Taurus PT58HC and 24/7 (45), Ruger (Old Model) Vaquero 45LC, Beretta 96D, Walther P22. These were all bought, shot, and sold since August 2006. After reading this: http://www.gunowners.org/a032100.htm
I doubt you could give me any Smith & Wesson product, even gave my two knives away.

In regards to the Taurus, stiff trigger on DA (+16 pound pull), I bought it on a Saturday (paid $270) and shot it on Sunday. 100 rounds of Federal 40 grain ammo. I had about 5 misfires in all, was able to get them to work on the next pass. At 25 yards I made three shots that ended up looking like a lower case "y". Yes, a 2" barrel, 25 yards, measured about 3/8". Taurus has a lifetime warranty, about half the price of Shoot & Wound. For snakes, varmints, and plinking I would recommend either the 4" or 5". As I said I purchased the blue, I would recommend the stainless (don't go Ultralight). I removed the grips, purchased Pachmayrs. I had a small bit of rust under the grip already. So for the few extra bucks up front, you will have a better looking pistol down the road.

BlindJustice
October 4, 2007, 07:15 AM
My first handgun was a Model 18 S & W and since I only looked at
page 1 of this thread I'll say this about the 18
it was the same sights as the S & W Model 15
Combat Masterpiece in .38 Spcl. The Model 18
had the same plain ramp front sight and adj. rear
sight.with plain notch blade. It weighed more than
the Model 15 at 38 oz. because the .22 holes in the
cylinder left more material. I always wanted the 6 inch
Model 17 - so the 18 is long gone and I now have
a 617 - 6" Bbl. with 10 shot cyl. At 45 oz it is as heavy
as my 625 5" Bbl. in .45 ACP/AR. But the 617 as my
gun dealer sez, people hold on to them because
they're so much fun to shoot and accurate

Funny though I want a shorter barrel now on
the 617 - so it will fit in the shoulder rig when I want
to take it instead of the 625, a 5.25 inch
barrel would make it the same sight radius and
it would fit.

Get the most you can for your money and keep it

Oh, the Hi-Standard 999 Top-Break - Yeah I had a
buddy with one when I had the Model 18 - I stood to
his left ONCE dang thing spit lead out the side of the
barrel/cylinder gap - lead burns when it's spit like
that.

DOn't go cheap.

If you enjoyed reading about "What are good 22LR Revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!