Jodie Foster was on the Daily Show tonight

PDA

nwilliams
September 12, 2007, 04:46 AM
Anyone else catch that interview with Jodie Foster tonight on the Daily Show:fire:

Most of the interview was about guns and of course it ended with her anti comment:

"I don't believe that kind of power should be in the hands of feeling human beings.....maybe robots or something" :scrutiny:

The other comment she made was on carrying:

"If you carry a gun in your pocket it changes how you walk, how you think and how you meet people"

Hmmm...that's funny Jodie I didn't realize you were such an expert on the matter but of course you're right.

It changes how I walk: I'm a little weighted on one side.
It changes how I think: I think I more secure and I think I have the means to protect my life.
It changes how I meet people: I've met lots of new people over the years when I go to the range to practice.
:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Jodie Foster was on the Daily Show tonight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dscottw88
September 12, 2007, 04:53 AM
Let the crazed women make her movies and talk to who she wants. Life knows I dont care what she thinks and you couldn't pay me $8 for a ticket to see anything with her in it. Sheesh... silly celebrities think they know everything.

Bunkerbuster
September 12, 2007, 05:01 AM
She's just better off playing "NELL" :fire:

Titan6
September 12, 2007, 07:31 AM
I can't figure if her new movie is pro or anti... from the commercials it looks like a female version of ''Death Wish'' with Jodie playing Charles Bronson.

Maybe she was talking about the guns she carrys in the movie or maybe she as conducting research... hard to say.

HKUSP45C
September 12, 2007, 07:51 AM
I don't know, I've always liked her as an actress. Movies are a big hobby of mine too. If I boycotted movies of every celebrity who didn't agree with me on political points of view or the finer aspects of daily living and how best to do it, I don't suppose I'd ever watch another one. Even then how far do you take it? Boycott directors, producers, wardobe technicians ect.

It doesn't sound like she was campaigning to have every gun in private hands confiscated. It sounds like she was sharing a personal point of view on how the world should work. Not everyone who doesn't like guns or see a benevolent purpose in carrying them is a mortal enemy of mine.

Sometimes, you just have to agree to disagree.

"If you carry a gun in your pocket it changes how you walk, how you think and how you meet people"

Hmmm...that's funny Jodie I didn't realize you were such an expert on the matter but of course you're right.

For all we know, she has carried a gun in her pocket. She may very well be describing her own feelings. Even if that's not the case, I certainly see no harm in her "guessing" what other people feel based on either her observations or her beliefs. Heck some friends of mine charge ~$200 an hour to guess what their patients feel AND my friends don't like guns either. We still somehow manage to endure each others company, in spite of that small barrier.

qdemn7
September 12, 2007, 07:52 AM
“Enjoy the art and forget about the person” is my motto. This applies to any and all artists. I don't give a damn what the political position of any actor, singer, dancer, painter, sculptor and so on consists of. Especially actors, since many of them don't have much of an education, some of them didn't even finish high school. My only criterion is whether or not they are good at their art. Foster is good at her art.

Geno
September 12, 2007, 08:01 AM
I don't know...I'm convinced...she shouldn't own or carry firearms.

Now, for me, well that's a different story. I'm smart enough to be able chew gum and walk, so I can carry.

Of course, her expert knowledge of the subject is appreciated. :rolleyes:

Grey54956
September 12, 2007, 08:09 AM
"I don't believe that kind of power should be in the hands of feeling human beings.....maybe robots or something"

She thinks we should give guns to ROBOTS!?!?!

Robots are the reason we should all have guns. Doesn't anyone remember Skynet?

crankshop1000
September 12, 2007, 08:13 AM
These are actors playing a role. The role may be based on a true life (although embellished) event or person, but the actor isn't anything more than a pretender.Kind of like presidential candidates.Just playing a role.Don't let them think for you because they show up on the Daily Show.

dscottw88
September 12, 2007, 08:22 AM
Simply said I didn't like her. I might sit through a movie if someone handed me a twenty but thats on a good day. Forgive me though, for some reason I thought I could post a personal opinion w/o catching flack. haha... silly me.

40SW
September 12, 2007, 08:25 AM
I do agree that sometimes we have a tendancy to meld the actor and the character. These people are professional actors who get paid a tremendous amount of money for what they do. I don't expect the role to carry over to their personal convictions. An exceptional majority of Hollywood is anti 2nd ammendment. but what do you expect from mental defectives? I will give them credit for their art, but not for being sensible red blooded Americans. There are the red states, and then there is Hollywood, to most Americans, these people are so far removed from reality, that they might as well be speaking Martian, yet these elitists think that they represent our mindset, true, they shape alot of young minds via popular culture, but I doubt a rancher in Montana or a hard working plumber in West Virginia is listening to a hill of beans they are saying.
Furthermore, Jodie Fosters new film promotes a dangerous depiction of vigilanty behaivior that does not promote a good depiction and case for concealed carry and RKBA. A female Charles Bronson is not my idea of promoting lawful self protection, RKBA, and CCW.

nate392
September 12, 2007, 08:30 AM
I used to like the daily show, but honestly its turned into a liberal humor show that kind of gets tireing after a while,.:/

romma
September 12, 2007, 08:32 AM

She speaks as if this is something she's done. Naybe it is true for certain people, so if she has carried before and it turned her into a "different person", then she probably shouldn't carry...

The thing that troubles me is that just because she shouldn't, she thinks she knows what's best for everybody... She should mind her own business and not carry a gun herself.

40SW
September 12, 2007, 08:34 AM
Hollywood types actually saying they know whats best for the rest of us.
What a new concept!! (sarcasm):eek::)

trbon8r
September 12, 2007, 08:39 AM
John Hinckley should have picked someone else to be obsessed with. She's not that hot, and judging by her quotes she suffers the curse of being a borderline imbecile as well.

Legionnaire
September 12, 2007, 08:40 AM
In the words of Laura Ingraham, "Shut up and sing" (or "act" as the case may be). I realize that Ms. Foster is entitled to her opinion regarding firearms. But her being an actress of some note (whether one likes her or not) does not give her opinion any more objective weight. Unfortunately, too many people are willing to attribute expertise to those with celebrity status. :rolleyes:

Colt
September 12, 2007, 08:49 AM
But her being an actress of some note (whether one likes her or not) does not give her opinion any more objective weight

I'd contend that being an actress of some note actually gives her opinion LESS objective weight.

Celebrities and the uber rich do not live in the same world as the common man, and are least qualified to discuss how it ought to be run.

easyg
September 12, 2007, 09:01 AM
I disagree with her but what the heck, I still enjoyed "Silence of the Lambs".
And this movie looks good too.

I once read that the new James Bond (can't recall his name) does not even like guns.
So what, that last Bond movie still kicked ass!

I don't really care about the personal opinions of actors or other celebs so long as they make good movies.

wheelgunslinger
September 12, 2007, 09:12 AM
Meh. What do you expect? It was Jodie Foster on the Daily Show.

Daniel Craig, the newest Bond is part of the generation of Brainwashed Brits who allowed their country to be disarmed. It's not a surprise that he doesn't like civilians with firearms.

*shrug*

Fatelvis
September 12, 2007, 09:23 AM
I have to admit, when I carry, (yes, some people in this Nazi-like, anti-CCW State do carry anyhow), I do tend to say "make my day", and "do ya feel lucky Punk?" alot more.

Marlin 45 carbine
September 12, 2007, 09:24 AM
what do you expect from a blonde that played the role of teen prostitute as a starter? she made this new film using a pistol to make $$ and hypocritically says carry isn't for the populace?
she is an airhead believing she's competent and I suspect a man-hater.

JohnL2
September 12, 2007, 09:42 AM
Easy fellas.

I get the feeling that the trolls and lurkers that read this site do not
understand that we kid around here a lot. Wow, the internet is a place where people go to let loose, blow off some steam, and even act silly. Go figure.
Also, I have yet to read anything on here that seriously hints at or advocates vigilantism; what I assume this movie is purportedly depicting. I bet anything that Jodie Foster is a nice person, she is in a business with a lot of mentally and emotionally unstable people. Can you blame her for the opinion that she has?

WuzYoungOnceToo
September 12, 2007, 09:50 AM
Can you blame her for the opinion that she has?
You don't hold adults responsible for their own views?

The hypocrisy illustrated is similar to that displayed by other actors, like Mark Wahlberg, who make small fortunes playing and glorifying "shoot all the bad guys" characters, and then publicly bad mouth people like Charleton Heston for their pro-2nd Amendment positions. Clearly people like Wahlberg don't understand the phrase, "courage of one's convictions".

WuzYoungOnceToo
September 12, 2007, 09:53 AM
what do you expect from a blonde that played the role of teen prostitute as a starter?
Does that mean we should have low expectations of Anthony Hopkins because he portrayed a cannibal?

jeepmor
September 12, 2007, 09:54 AM
I don't believe that kind of power should be in the hands of feeling human beings

Umm, why not, in the hands of unfeeling criminals, people die. In the hands of feeling people, the gun does not come into play without great forethought. If you start packing a gun and don't feel different about yourself and analyze the way you conduct yourself, you shouldn't have one in the first place IMO.

If she felt that strongly about it, I don't think she should take on roles like her current movie. Either that, or she's getting brainwashed (or told what to say as a promoter of her current film) by the antis that run the movie industry. I thought she was famous off screen for having the telltale fanny pack front and center all the time. Am I confusing her with some other celebrity blonde.

what do you expect from a blonde that played the role of teen prostitute as a starter?

Hey now, that was a role with Deniro, and that movie was pretty darn pro gun. Don't be hacking on my man Deniro by association, that's probably my favorite movie ever. But I think it was the mohawk.

Heck some friends of mine charge ~$200 an hour to guess what their patients feel AND my friends don't like guns either. We still somehow manage to endure each others company, in spite of that small barrier.

Mine don't charge $200/hour, but we do disagree on guns. He owns them, but I'd bet the bank they are sitting in a closet in a box where he could not ready them if he had to in order to protect himself should someone break into his home. He equates packing with looking for trouble. I think just the opposite, but if it comes to my proverbial doorstep, I don't choose cowering in the corner defenseless as an option.

He also thinks we can't do anything about the government coming to get them and yet simultaneously ignores how the guerillas in Iraq are not losing simply because they have the resolve resist and continue doing so. It's too far off topic for this thread, but having visited him recently, I'm ready to rant.....rant off.

Is it me or would anti rather be happy dumb slaves rather than free? Britain for example. Does the populace really agree with 1984 being 20 years late, or are they just railroaded?

1911 guy
September 12, 2007, 09:56 AM
We as a society have let ourselves become consumed with "bread and games". Whenever the populace got uneasy, the Roman Empire would pass out free bread and hold games to distract the people. It worked, right up until the Vandal invasion.

Who cares what an actress thinks of firearms? She only matters because people are dumb enough to give her a voice. She's as unimportant in the grand scheme as I am pontificating about economics. Hell, I sometimes struggle to balance my checkbook. She simply needs to be told by her fans what the rest of us working stiffs get told by those who sign our paychecks. "Shut up and get back to work."

Neo-Luddite
September 12, 2007, 10:03 AM
There are so many actors--like Ms. Foster--who I really enjoy watching act. Why do they feel a need to risk that relationship between artist and patron?

eflatminor
September 12, 2007, 10:38 AM
If she doesn't believe guns should be in the hands of human beings, then that means police and military should also be disarmed. My question to Ms. Foster is: Who is going to enforce such a law and secondly, who is going to protect this country from forces outside the US that don't feel the same way about weapons?

Now, I suspect she really lied and believes only military and police should have guns. As we all know, history shows us again and again how that policy works out for the people.

Lastly, if her comment was really meant as an existential hope that the world should be a place in which guns were never invented, then I wonder if Ms. Foster wishes to move down a notch or two on the food chain. Yea, it's too bad we don't still loose children to packs of wolves.

REOIV
September 12, 2007, 10:49 AM
She's such a smart person I can't help but think that what she means is that

In a perfect world no one would own guns mainly because there'd be no need.

If no one was a 'bad guy' then there is really no need for guns.

Of course this is overly optimistic and assumes that all of humanity could ever rise above its base instincts.

Essentially if the world was a utopia with no war, conflict etc.

And since she feels that way, she is leading by example by not having guns and advocating people be better to each other.

Again a celebrities personal beliefs are just that, beliefs.
Until they use their status as a celebrity to pass laws to remove rights etc, I don't really care what they think.

Course this could be cognitive dissonance on my part and me trying to rationalize how someone that smart could be that stupid about something so basic.

The Unknown User
September 12, 2007, 10:49 AM
I think it's funny people get so bent out of shape when someone exercises a given right only because it doesn't match their viewpoint.

Good for her. She's exercising her rights, the same as any one of you who carries.

hankdatank1362
September 12, 2007, 10:56 AM
Here's a brief clip of the interview with Ms. Foster: http://us.video.aol.com/player/launcher?ar=us_en_video_748x541_full&pmmsid=1970105&lg=1&referer=http%3A//television.aol.com/franchise/top5

Bula
September 12, 2007, 11:00 AM
Is this another money crazed Hollywood idiot exploiting something they so adamantly oppose? How about this Jodie Foster, lets take all the guns out of every Hollywood movie? I think I'd rather see a robot with a gun than to see you all over TV 'getting even' then saying, "guns are bad". Well Jodie apparently they are only bad when they don't net you $8 million dollars to make a movie.

AJ Dual
September 12, 2007, 11:03 AM
The best poetic justice would be for her movie to have a serious "Archie Bunker/All In the Family" or "Born in the USA" effect.

In "All in the Family", Carol O'Connor's character was supposed to be a foil for all that was supposed to be rejected and opposed in the 1960's and 1970's, Instead millions of Americans didn't get the satire, and worshipped the character, wondering why it took so long for TV to put someone on who thought just like them, and it came at a time when it seemed as though America was falling down all around them. Instead of being a huge vehicle to push America to the left, "All in the Family" simply became a mirror in which each side saw what they wanted to see.

(Granted Archie Bunker also put forth a large amount of racism and sexism, but IMO they were often used as cheap throwaways for Rob Reiner to better use Archie to ridicule conservatism, capitalism, and patriotism…)

And Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" is a post Vietnam anti-American screed that tries to deconstruct the American Dream, and the song's powerful refrain "Born in the USA" is intended to be the ultimate in dark ironic twists.
Instead, the vast majority of Americans ignore the intended meaning of the lyrics and just focus on the refrain as being upbeat and patriotic. So much so it got used as the keynote song for the '84 Republican convention… (L… O… freaking... L…!)

So I've got my hopes that Ms. Foster's new movie will simply play to most people as "Criminals getting what's coming to them", and the whole intended subtext of "I've become a monster just like those criminals because I went and got a gun" will be lost on the majority of people.

Colt46
September 12, 2007, 11:03 AM
Lord knows her fellow man(who happens to have elevated her to fame and fortune) can't be trusted to carry a deadly weapon. Nice to know she's superior enought to know what is better for the common man than the actual common man knows himself.

WuzYoungOnceToo
September 12, 2007, 11:07 AM
I think it's funny people get so bent out of shape when someone exercises a given right only because it doesn't match their viewpoint.

Good for her. She's exercising her rights, the same as any one of you who carries.
I think it's funny when people criticize others for expressing their opinions about someone else's opinion (especially when the latter opinion is that the former should be stripped of a basic right.)

Sounds like there's some potential for infinite regression there.

Geronimo45
September 12, 2007, 11:08 AM
"I don't believe that kind of power should be in the hands of feeling human beings.....maybe robots or something"
Isn't the Daily Show a comedy show? Maybe that remark's a joke on the Terminator.

'Tis true, sometimes. If you wear an ankle holster, you don't do a lot of running. A lot of folk are less likely to go into places and situations where they might have to use their gun. Etcetera. These things are not necessarily bad.

'Course, it all boils down to not going overboard when some Hollywood gal decides that guns are only for her bodyguards. Not a big deal. Besides, coming out pro-gun might get her thrown out of cocktail parties. All about priorities. :p

camslam
September 12, 2007, 11:13 AM
Sheesh... silly celebrities think they know everything.

That is a bold face lie! - Celebrities KNOW they know everything. :)

Just ask them.

p.s. I don't begrudge anyone their opinion, but it is probably less than 5% of the celebrities that make statements about things that actually understand the issue or have done research on it. Open your mouth all you want, but at least have the facts.

WuzYoungOnceToo
September 12, 2007, 11:24 AM
Isn't the Daily Show a comedy show?
Well...you know that, and I know that...but have you seen the survey stats on the number of young people who cite it as their favorite source of "news"?

Kentak
September 12, 2007, 11:26 AM
What are you going to do? Boycott your dentist if you somehow find out he or she is a member of the Brady Bunch?

Are you going to interview everyone you do business with to ascertain their political and gun views? The plumber? The supermarket manager?

I would avoid a movie with an explicit anti-gun theme, simply because it wouldn't resonate with me. But, the views of the actors are secondary. There are a few exceptions I have for actors that have *crusaded* for positions I disagree with, rather than simply expressing a view when asked in an interview.

BTW, I think Foster is an exceptional actor.

K

Legionnaire
September 12, 2007, 11:28 AM
p.s. I don't begrudge anyone their opinion, but it is probably less than 5% of the celebrities that make statements about things that actually understand the issue or have done research on it. Same could be said of most people ... thank you George Gallup. Public opinion polls that ask ignorant people to comment on a sophisticated matter--like asking the average American what they think of current fiscal policy--basically reveal that a majority of respondents don't know what they're talking about! Drives me nuts! I know lots of folks (self included) have opinions on things we don't know much about. But we should be honest enough to recognize them as ungrounded predispositions and not treat them like well-researched, grounded positions.

Sniper X
September 12, 2007, 11:28 AM
I and others here have said it before, ANTI celebs should NOT be able to make money off movies with guns in them. They should not hire celebs who are anti to use a gun in a movie. Just my daily rant.

Cincinnati Slim
September 12, 2007, 11:32 AM

and Jon Stewart replied something to the effect of...

"Yea, like that RoboCop thing, er, that worked out really well...":rolleyes:

C'mon folks, let's not take stuff out of context here, this is a Comedy Show ! People say ridiculous, sarcastic, exagerated stuff to get laughs.

Lighten up...Y'all are taking this WAY too seriously !:neener:

Pay close attention to what candidates may say leading up to elections; that's really important, serious stuff. The Daily Show is suposed to be satire, you know funny. And by the way , hate to burst anybody's bubble, the show after it, The Colbert Report, is not actually a right-wing pudit like Bill O'Reilly, It's a put-on, another satire intended to MAKE FUN OF other shows.

If you don't think it's funny Ok then, watch something else. But you may want to have your doctor check to see if your funny bone is missing or if you need more irony in your diet.;)

Slim

WuzYoungOnceToo
September 12, 2007, 11:34 AM
Public opinion polls that ask ignorant people to comment on a sophisticated matter--like asking the average American what they think of current fiscal policy--basically reveal that a majority of respondents don't know what they're talking about!
It also doesn't help that the poll questions are more often than not worded in such a confining and hyper-simplistic manner that any sort of intelligent and meaningful answer is pretty much impossible anyway.

Legionnaire
September 12, 2007, 11:37 AM
Yup. Some polls tell you more about the person asking the question than the answers tell you about the respondent.

jlbraun
September 12, 2007, 11:39 AM
For all we know, she has carried a gun in her pocket.

Given that she had a crazy stalker that tried to take down a sitting President, I would say it's reasonable to assume that she has carried in the past.

Im283
September 12, 2007, 11:41 AM
I really do not worry about Foster's political views or her thoughts on RKBA.

I think she is a fine actress and can say I have enjoyed her abilities in most every movie I have seen her in.

She has a right to say what she wants, same as me.

I wish I had seen the entire bit of her on the Daily Show. From the little clip from an earlier post she did not seem afraid of guns, at least not like the host did. And she is entitled to answer questions about her views when being interviewed.

WuzYoungOnceToo
September 12, 2007, 11:45 AM
C'mon folks, let's not take stuff out of context here, this is a Comedy Show !
That's the theory, anyway. Unfortunately the reality paints a somewhat different picture, and has for a few years now:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/02/apontv.stewarts.stature.ap/

I'm sure Stewart and the producers of the show don't intend it as a real news source, but that doesn't alter the fact that it's being considered as such by a large number of young (but voting age) people. Even more telling, they also look to Saturday Night Live for their political information.

Scary.

WuzYoungOnceToo
September 12, 2007, 11:47 AM
She has a right to say what she wants, same as me.
Why do some people always interpret criticism of an opinion as the position that the holder of that opinion doesn't have the right to express it?

Colt
September 12, 2007, 12:06 PM
Why do some people always interpret criticism of an opinion as the position that the holder of that opinion doesn't have the right to express it?

This is the new trend.

Used to be that everyone was equal, but that their opinions could be wrong.

These days, if you attack someone's opinion, it's interpretted as an attack on the person.

That's why when you say that Jodie Foster's opinions on guns are insane, everyone rushes to tell you that she's entitled to her opinion, and ask "Who are you to judge HER?"

You didn't judge her, you judged her opinion.

Radjxf
September 12, 2007, 12:21 PM
Actors are simply Pro-self promotion and anti-everything else IMO. Most seem to be liberals. Nearly all live in an insulated world much different than ours. Nearly all have ARMED guards (guess guns aren't all bad). I could not care less what any of their opinions are on anything. I enjoy their movies, and 'try' to disregard their opinions as most probably aren't in the upper eschelon of human intelligence. However, there are a few that I refuse to pay good money for anything they do: Sean Penn, Danny Glover, Rosie O'Donnell, Jane Fonda....

Gunnerpalace
September 12, 2007, 12:22 PM
Insane statement but we might have a concept here if PETA gets control full RKBA to pets :D I think my two could use a few Class 3's for "security".

JKimball
September 12, 2007, 01:25 PM
I haven't followed Jodie Foster's political career, so I don't know what she has said about guns before. But I did just watch the entire interview on the Daily Show website. I've got to say I think based on the interview alone, I think a lot of the posts on the thread are coming down on her pretty hard. Up until her closing statement about feeling people and robots, which was prefaced by "I don't want to make a political statement or anything" I think she could have come off as pro gun.

1. She made it clear that she knows how to use guns, and actually had to act like she didn't know how to use them in the movie.
2. She gently mocked the host about his fear of guns. (She asked him if he peed his pants the one time in his life when he held a gun.)
3. She made it clear that she approves of the idea that Women should have the right to fight back against their attackers, instead of feeling guilty and taking it out on themselves or others. Or as she put it, "How about if I destroy you instead of destroying me."
4. The line about how carrying a gun changes the way you walk and interact with people, in my opinion, or at least for me, is true. I can still go about my life as usual, but I would agree that I am in a different mindset. That is to say I spend more time in the yellow zone than the white zone when I'm carrying.

Now, having said all that I understand she could just be playing to the crowd, knowing who her target audience for this movie is. It wouldn't make sense for her to plug her movie by coming out and saying how terrible her character in this film is, and how all handguns should be made illegal. So I'm not convinced one way or the other about how rabidly anti she is.

Lonestar49
September 12, 2007, 01:44 PM

Yep, pay me the "big bucks" for 3 months of work, that for most of us, we could retire on that type of money, meanwhile, be a very Ant-gun rights activist, and LOUD, SEEN, voice/mouth yet make a movie that will undoubtedly, inspire some people who have be crapped-on, to do exactly what she portrays. A person, frightened, rightfully so, and not gonna let it happen again, ever.

I'm sorry but, Values have meaning but, can be bought/twisted for a price, along with simple explanations of, "I'm an Actor, and get paid for it".. "I did the right thing" and, at the same time, can say it's wrong for anyone to own, or carry a gun or do what I did in the movie, after-all, it's just a movie.."

> A really-overpaid, underworked, Hypocrite really comes to mind, IMHO

LS

JKimball
September 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
One more point.

I think I can understand where she is coming from regarding the feeling people vs. robots. And she has a good point. How many people think it is OK to draw your gun, or use your gun based on your feelings? Isn't it more correct to draw your gun or use your gun based on the cold, hard, "robotic" facts? Don't we train and prepare ourselves mentally so that we won't allow our feelings to tell us to shoot, or for that matter to tell us not to shoot when we need to?

People who can't control their feelings to that degree probably shouldn't be carrying guns.

I don't know if that is what she was getting at, but I can see it.

nwilliams
September 12, 2007, 02:07 PM
I should point out because it has come up a few times in some of the posts since I started this thread that Jodie did say in her views were not political, only personal.

I have several friends who are very liberal anti-gunners and I still like them, so I guess I should respects Foster's opinions also. However her comments seemed a tad belittling IMO, I guess it makes sense she'd star in a movie that puts guns in a negative context. Still I have to agree there are many anti-gun movie stars and I love watching movies so you have to take the good with the bad I suppose.

Still I don't think this new movie is going to paint a pretty picture of gun ownership. The fact that the main star is more or less going around spoutin' off anti gun propaganda makes me wary to see it. However there's no doubt this movie will spark a few discussions on this forum, it will be interesting to see how people react to it after they do see it.

For those of you interested here's a behind the scenes clip on the movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gppkJnDWyn8

Noxx
September 12, 2007, 02:21 PM
she is an airhead believing she's competent and I suspect a man-hater.

Holy heck.

Why not just call her a faggot and get it off your chest? Yeesh.

WuzYoungOnceToo
September 12, 2007, 02:34 PM
Why not just call her a faggot and get it off your chest?
Probably because that would mean the opposite of "man-hater".

skinewmexico
September 12, 2007, 02:36 PM
This is coming from a woman whose mother wouldn't let her have coloring books, because she didn't want her to have to stay inside the lines.

cnorman18
September 12, 2007, 02:39 PM
I have more respect for Jodie Foster than for most movie stars. She consistently refuses to discuss her private life, her children, her sexuality, or any of the other matters that stars so often display to get publicity. Judging from this appearance, she seems reluctant to parade her political opinions as well. I've read more than once that she considers herself an actor, not a celebrity, and works harder at her craft than her fame. I think her work shows that to be true.

If Ms. Foster were to start appearing at leftwing rallies and HCI events and begin grabbing a microphone to spout leftist propaganda at every opportunity (like some we could all name), I'd be annoyed; but I saw no tendency in her to do that in the past, and I doubt we'll see it in the future.

I would think that if she were a rabid anti-gunner, her remarks would have been a lot more forceful--and a lot less reluctantly given--than we've seen here.

If you want a Hollywood celebrity who richly deserves your contempt, take a look at Brian De Palma. He just completed a blatantly anti-American propaganda film that's certain to be promoted and used by Al Qaeda as a recruiting tool. It's called."Redacted", an outrage.

.45&TKD
September 12, 2007, 02:42 PM
So is this a good movie or not?

I would expect that a female remake of "Deathwish" might be good.

the pistolero
September 12, 2007, 02:49 PM
I would expect that a female remake of "Deathwish" might be good.
There was one, sort of. It was called "Eye For An Eye," and it starred Sally Field, Ed Harris and Kiefer Sutherland. It's been years since I've seen it, but from what I remember it was pretty good.

Old Dog
September 12, 2007, 02:49 PM
Once again, we bear witness to the amazing cult of celebrity.

The fact that this forum regularly contains threads reflecting Americans' concern for what actors, musicians or other entertainers think and say continues to dismay me.

I submit that what Jodie Foster believes, and states publicly, about firearms will affect the RKBA movement very, very little, or not at all ...

The fact that some of you chose to even go into Ms. Foster's sexual orientation is ... just wrong.

Noxx
September 12, 2007, 02:57 PM
The fact that some of you chose to even go into Ms. Foster's sexual orientation is ... just wrong.

...and all the ships at sea.

Anyway. I find it disheartening that people are so quick to cite the "shut up and sing / act" bandwagon provided it's in their own personal agenda. Ted Nugent, for example, is a raving nutter, but he's our raving nutter, so preach it up, Ted. No one here has ever committed the sin of telling Nugent to keep his politics to himself, I'll wager.

Simply put, surely a persons opinion should not carry more weight because they are famous, but neither should the onus of fame deprive any american of their right to their opinion.

Cosmoline
September 12, 2007, 03:14 PM
Does that mean we should have low expectations of Anthony Hopkins because he portrayed a cannibal?

We should have low expectations of him because he's an overrated actor who did his best work playing a butler. "Silence of the Lambs" was absolute garbage, and his efforts to play a southern judge in the recent Sean Penn debacle were MST3K bad. But that's another matter.

As to Foster, look at the sharply angled item near her wife's waistband, hidden under the shirt tail that's been pulled down over it. You're telling me that's not the grip of a firearm IWB? Now don't get me wrong, she has every reason to ensure that she and her family are safe. And she has more reason than most to have firearms handy. But when someone like her tries to take away MY right to do likewise, it's open season.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/packin.jpg

The fact that these anti-gun actors and politicos are either packing or have an armed person protecting them 24/7 is always worth repeating. Actors probably SHOULDN'T have much of an impact in politics, but the fact is they do--for good or ill. Heston was head of the NRA, and actors on the other side of the fence can have a big impact on the anti gun movement.

I would think that if she were a rabid anti-gunner, her remarks would have been a lot more forceful--and a lot less reluctantly given--than we've seen here.

There is no such thing as a reluctant statement from Foster. She runs an incredibly tight PR ship. And if we're hearing her make anti-gun remarks it's because she WANTS TO MAKE SUCH REMARKS, and wants to influence the political situation. She answers no questions that aren't pre-approved and vetted. If she wanted to stay mum on it she could have simply done what many other actors do and stated she doesn't want to get into the political debate.

WuzYoungOnceToo
September 12, 2007, 03:27 PM
We should have low expectations of him because he's an overrated actor who did his best work playing a butler. "Silence of the Lambs" was absolute garbage
Hopkins was brilliant as Lecter. But, no matter. Let's move on to your next fascinating assertion:

As to Foster, look at the sharply angled item near her wife's waistband, hidden under the shirt. You're telling me that's not the grip of a firearm IWB?
LOL! You mean....the cell phone? The antenna is quite apparent, and so is the LCD display on the front after you zoom in on the photo just a little.

Nice try though.

Cosmoline
September 12, 2007, 03:31 PM
No, the item on the other side, under the shirt tail. If you've had some experience carrying you can recognize firearms pretty easily. And I don't know what else that would be, or why she'd take such pains to pull the shirt over it. Here's the exercise, and it's worthwhile to do this on the street in real life. Look at where the waistband line is under the shirt, hoodie, or whatever. You can see enough of it on one side and the other to connect the lines. Now look for any bulges, particularly straight sharply angled lines, sticking out above that waistband line. ________/_____ The "/" is quite possibly the grip of a firearm held IWB for a right hand draw. Pant lines usually don't take a sudden jog up like that. The suspicion is enforced where the person has made a point of trying to yank down a shirttail as some form of concealment. In the above photo, note that the tail is only pulled down in that particular area.

WuzYoungOnceToo
September 12, 2007, 03:53 PM
No, the item on the other side, under the shirt tail. If you've had some experience carrying you can recognize firearms pretty easily.
Apparently, even where none exist.

And I don't know what else that would be,
A fold in her t-shirt. Wow, that took a lot of thinking.

or why she'd take such pains to pull the shirt over it.
What pains? She's simply wearing a t-shirt that isn't tucked in, and is prevented from dangling to the same leve on her right side by the cell phone clipped to her belt.

The "/" is quite possibly the grip of a firearm held IWB for a right hand draw.
Yeah. And maybe its a light-saber. More likely, it's just what it appears to be: A fold in her shirt caused by her walking motion, just like the numerous other shirt bulges and folds that appear elsewhere in that photo.

Pant lines usually don't take a sudden jog up like that. The suspicion is enforced where the person has made a point of trying to yank down a shirttail as some form of concealment. In the above photo, note that the tail is only pulled down in that particular area.
See above regarding the cell phone on the other side. Also note that you can't see what the back of the shirt is doing at all, so we can't honestly note that the tail is "only pulled down in that particular area".

Seriously...you're trying WAY too hard here.

Cosmoline
September 12, 2007, 04:04 PM
A fold in her t-shirt. Wow, that took a lot of thinking.

It's not a fold, it's a bulge. Maybe it's a light saber. Maybe it's another cell phone. But it's not just a fold in the material.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/print2.jpg

Do you honestly think Foster goes anywhere in public without some form of armed protection? She never struck me as being that stupid.

Noxx
September 12, 2007, 04:07 PM
Coz, I respect and usually agree with you.

However in this case that's just a fold in her shirt, that follows up and around her hip.

Or it's a DE.50AE IWB. Backwards.

Cosmoline
September 12, 2007, 04:11 PM
Well we'll never know without a pat-down. But she's nuts if she's going around without any protection at all. Absolutely insane. Maybe we should buy her a handgun as a gift. Isn't that crazy guy Hinkley free on weekend passes now?

WuzYoungOnceToo
September 12, 2007, 04:12 PM
Or it's a DE.50AE IWB. Backwards.
If it were a large-framed gun tucked into her waistband there, at that angle (forgetting that women don't tend to shove large guns into the front of their pants) the barrel would be cutting into her hip bone something fierce.

Cosmoline
September 12, 2007, 04:15 PM
I don't know where you're seeing the Deagle. The bulge is rather small, like the print the stock of a small revolver or semi would make poking over the waistline at a raked angle.

arthurcw
September 12, 2007, 04:33 PM
Doesn't anyone remember Skynet

...or WOPR or Futureworld or that one where the Soviet and U.S. defense computers join together to take over the world by threatening nuclear attacks?

MY GOD!!! The Asimov Circuits are not full proof! What is wrong with these actors!!!

Yep it sure does.

I back away from a lot more potential arguments with nitwits who might try to prove their point with escalated aggression. So yes, she is right. To paraphrase M.A.: When you carry a gun, you give up the right to defend yourself against insults.

As others have said, you become much more aware of your surroundings. And I take GREAT pains when meeting and greeting people to never let them hug me the wrong way.

I'm not sure if that's what she meant, but she right.

Leanwolf
September 12, 2007, 04:36 PM
CINNCINATI SLIM - " ... And by the way , hate to burst anybody's bubble, the show after it, The Colbert Report, is not actually a right-wing pudit like Bill O'Reilly, ..."

Bill O'Reilly is "right wing??"

O'Reilly is extremely anti-guns owned by us worker peasants. He respects the Second Amendment about as much as I respect Hillary Clinton.

L.W.

JKimball
September 12, 2007, 04:40 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

hso
September 12, 2007, 04:47 PM
Good heaven's people, she's an actress not an activist. She did a movie, she's interviewed because of the movie and she'd interviewed by an anti comedy host. Who cares?!

For those who are interested in seeing the interview.
http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/player.jhtml?ml_video=102536&ml_collection=&ml_gateway=&ml_gateway_id=&ml_comedian=&ml_runtime=&ml_context=show&ml_origin_url=%2Fmotherload%2Findex.jhtml%3Fml_video%3D102536%26ml_collection%3D%26ml_gateway%3D%26ml_comedian%3Dnone%26ml_context%3Dshow&ml_playlist=&lnk=&is_large=true

WuzYoungOnceToo
September 12, 2007, 05:04 PM
And I take GREAT pains when meeting and greeting people to never let them hug me the wrong way.
Not fer nuthin'....but I go to great pains to prevent people from hugging me the "wrong way" whether I'm packin' or not ;)

Autolycus
September 12, 2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Fatelvis: I have to admit, when I carry, (yes, some people in this Nazi-like, anti-CCW State do carry anyhow), I do tend to say "make my day", and "do ya feel lucky Punk?" alot more.

Its not wise to admit to committing a felony on an internet forum. As per your profile your not a cop but a construction worker. I suggest you reread teh forum rules about not advocating illegal activity.

Autolycus
September 12, 2007, 05:07 PM
Why do so many of you care what she thinks?

big44
September 12, 2007, 05:12 PM
I don't even pay attention to "those people" in Hollywood anymore. For the most part they are elitist egotistical cry babies. :neener:

geekWithA.45
September 12, 2007, 05:21 PM
Closed for general incivility.

Ms. Foster has the right to her opinions, and for the scorn she earns with them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Jodie Foster was on the Daily Show tonight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!