pyrodex in .45 colt

PDA

rusty from italy
September 12, 2007, 08:48 AM
Hi all!
After decade of waiting the pyrodex is arrived in Italy!
And of course i have buy a can of P grade quickly just i have seen it at the shop!
Tested in a cap and ball, i find it smoky just a bit less than BP and dirty as BP:confused:
So now i have 1lbs of pyordex to use, my choice is for swiss black, but how use it?
Idea is reload the .45LC cartridge, if i use the same method used for BP i'm ok? isn't the P type right for cartridge?
ciao
Rusty

If you enjoyed reading about "pyrodex in .45 colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sundance44s
September 12, 2007, 11:02 AM
I`ve used 30 grs of Pyrodex P under my cast .452 255 gr bullets SPG lube of course ...and it`s a fine shooting load ..just a tad hotter than 30 grs of 3f Goex with the same bullet...fired from my 5 1/2 inch barrel Remmie conversion cylinder gun ..the Goex load produced 771 fps ..and the Pyrodex P load 778 fps. Adv. both loads good straight shooters .

Cincinnati Slim
September 12, 2007, 11:06 AM
Howdy,

Pyrodex is pretty much interchangable with real black powder insofar as loading procedures. The .45 Colt is easy to load with BP or subs. It's when you try to "down-load" that things get dicey. What you want to avoid is a big "air-gap" between powder and projectile. Otherwise, fill the case almost or right to the base of the seated bullet. You need to use bullets lubed with black powder lube, the more the better. I like to use a 0.060 inch thick fiber wad over the powder. Just seems to shoot cleaner for me. Some folks use a lubed "wonder wad". That works great and you can for sure shoot longer between cleaning but it gets kinda pricey.

Now myself, I like Triple-Seven as a black power sub. I can use dirt cheap smokeless powder lubed bullets and It's hotter and cleans up easier than Pyrodex or black powder. But I'm a cheapskate and I LIKE recoil...:evil:

Cincinnati Slim

Tommygunn
September 12, 2007, 12:43 PM
Tested in a cap and ball, i find it smoky just a bit less than BP and dirty as BP

Yeah, that sort of surprised me, too. I had thought it would be cleaner. In fact I saw no difference the few times I used Pyrodex.
Having since become a "purist" I now just use blackpowder ... since it seems to be equally fouling!:rolleyes::scrutiny:;)

Bad Flynch
September 12, 2007, 01:20 PM
Rusty,
Pyrodex is just fine for the .45 Colt. Remember--Pyrodex is measured by Black Powder volume measurement, not by weight. Weighing charges will result in an overload.

Pyrodex leaves a residue after firing that may be more corrosive than the residue left by Black Powder, so be sure to clean your revolver after every use.

When I loaded Pyrodex, I loaded Hodgdon's listed maximum load and it was a hoot! So--have fune and be safe.

foghornl
September 12, 2007, 01:23 PM
I don't do a lot of blackpowder shooting, but I do 'bust a cap' every now & then.

According to Hodgdon, maker of Pyrodex and the "Triple Seven" blackpowder substitutes, Pyrodex loads on a volume-for-volume match with the equivalent blackpowder. Triple Seven loads should be reduced 15% from the blackpowder loads. For instance, when normally using a load of 30 Grains of "fffg" blackpowder, use 30 grains "P" Pyrodex or approx 25-26 grains of Triple Seven.

When I used to shoot BP a lot more, I found that I could get 2 cylinders (12 shots) before I had to wipe off the cylinder face when using BP; I could get 36 to 42 shots is using "P" Pyrodex in my 1858 Army Remington clone before a quick clean.

Also, note that blackpowder/Pyrodex loads are by VOLUME, NOT WEIGHT. Use a powder measure of some sort.

arcticap
September 12, 2007, 06:11 PM
That's nice rusty, now you can suffer just like the rest of us...and try not to let your gun get called rusty too! :D

Pulp
September 12, 2007, 06:33 PM
Pyrodex is genuine charcoal sulfur KNO3 black powder. It is not a substitute. Therefore it will create the same fouling as BP
The only difference in Pyro is it has a retardant which prevents it from flashing like other BPs. That way they can sell it as a flammable solid, as opposed to explosive.
It works great in cartridge, I'm not too fond of it for percussion arms. Seems I always get a delay between cap pop and BOOM.

Rusty, if you can obtain a set of Lee dippers (plastic powder measures) either the 2.2 or 2.5 dipper makes a good load for .45Colt. If you don't like the heavy recoil of those loads, you can reduce it and take up the empty space with corn meal, grits etc. I don't know what you call corn meal or grits in Italy. I've made some loads with 1.3cc of black, with 1.0cc of corn meal on top. Good, pleasant shooting load, and the good thing, corn meal is cheaper than gunpowder.

oneshooter
September 12, 2007, 09:35 PM
Judt for your information, a 45Colt case, CCI LP primer, 35gr Goex FFFFg Black, 250gr Keith style semi-wadcutter. Out of a 7 1/2" barrel it will clock at 1100+ FPS! :what:

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

If you enjoyed reading about "pyrodex in .45 colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!