Q: on Keith loads

PDA

Arcticfox
September 12, 2007, 11:50 PM
Hi!

I recently bought a special run of .44 specials from thunder Ranch. They were labeled "keith loads" and had the appearance of a Keith WC design. At the range, however, the kick of the so called "keiths" didn't feel any different from my standard 240 grn .44 special rounds, or any other specials i've fired (from my M44c snubby Taurus).

So, were these in fact Keith loads? Or just a WC with the same basic shape?

Are Keith rounds available anywhere on-line?

If you enjoyed reading about "Q: on Keith loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gator
September 13, 2007, 12:09 AM
All the TR loads have is a Keith style 250 gr WC bullet.

Bear41mag
September 13, 2007, 08:25 AM
Just because its a Keith bullet does not mean its a Keith load
Elmer's early load for the 44 Special was 18.5 grains of 2400 with the 250 grain Keith bullet in balloon head cases. When solid cases came along, with less powder capacity, the charge was dropped to 17.0 grains. Both loads go over 1200+ fps. I find this to be a very accurate load in my Smith 24's and 29's but prefer 16.5 of 2400, just as accurate with the loss of about 100 fps or so. Elmer never used magnum primers for his loads and neither do I.

Another very accurate load is the same bullet with 7.5 grains of Unique for just under 900 FPS. This was Skeeter Skeltons favorite .44 spl load.

For a light weight plinking load, I shoot an 6.0 grains of Unique under a 246 grain round nose lead, for around 700 fps depending on the gun, this equals the old factory load.

These three loads pretty much comprise 98% of my 44 special shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Q: on Keith loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!