Handgun carrying in cars

PDA

J_Dillinger
September 13, 2007, 07:00 PM
In Texas as of September 1st, it is now lawful for a law abiding citizen to carry a firearm or weapon in one's car as long as it's concealed from view.

Any thoughts were you'd store a handgun out of view and why ? In my case, I have a sportscar so there's not many options.

Also, assuming a semi-auto (such as my Glock), would you keep the magazine in or out of the gun ???

;)

I'm voting 'other' simply because I want to see how forum members here vote.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun carrying in cars" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bilt4Comfort
September 13, 2007, 07:16 PM

Bilt4Comfort
September 13, 2007, 07:17 PM
Glocks don't use clips...they're called "magazines".
A gun without cartridges is useless unless you want to throw it at the BG.

glassman
September 13, 2007, 07:30 PM
I read here that an empty gun is a paper weight. I drive a Honda CRV. There is a small storage area just below the radio that fits my 642 perfectly. Very handy and easy to get to.

trueblue1776
September 13, 2007, 07:30 PM
Pistols always fit well wedged between my seat and the console, with the grip sticking up. Worked in my Camaro and my Avalanche.

Black Adder LXX
September 13, 2007, 08:04 PM
Glove box or console. Locked and loaded.

CountGlockula
September 13, 2007, 08:19 PM
Velcro it with the holster under driver's seat. Glocks are light enough to stay under you.

Yes, "Clips" are for hair and magazines are for guns.

Bartkowski
September 13, 2007, 08:53 PM
The only reason I would not put a gun in my glove box, is because if you are pulled over, and you keep papers in there such as registration, an officer may get the wrong idea if he sees a gun in there with your hand near it. And if its legal to have it loaded in a vehicle have it loaded.

gbran
September 13, 2007, 08:56 PM
I'd put the gun in the passenger seat (unless occupied) covered with a towel, etc. This would be concealed and very quick to access.

Snowdog
September 13, 2007, 09:01 PM
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=181198&highlight=makarov

Sure, keep your handgun accessible, but keep it secure. Ultimately, it's your responsibility and yours only. Few things will cause you to experience the gut-wrenching indignation of being victimized by theft as when a handgun is stolen from you.

Smokewagon45
September 13, 2007, 09:36 PM
Why not on your hip? Law says concealed and on or about your person.

Outside the vehicle is another matter. Get a CHL.

cpttango30
September 13, 2007, 09:46 PM
This really depends on the state. In VA it is legal to have a loaded pistol within reach without a CCW as long as it can been seen from the outside of the car. IE Dash or front seat. But in some states you have to have the firearm and the ammo in different sections of the vehicle. Like pistol in trunk and ammo in glove box. In CA when I lived there a firearm was loaded if a mag had ammo in it or in the case of revolvers you have a speed loader that is loaded. it did not matter where it was located.

MCgunner
September 13, 2007, 09:47 PM
All my guns have magazines. I've never had a gun with a "clip". And, then, of course, the best handgun to neglect in a car is a revolver and they don't even have magazines.

Personally, I carry mine ON MY PERSON in the car. That way, I have it when I get out. I might leave a shotgun in the car, but rarely take it unless I'm on a hunting trip 'cause I don't want it ripped off. And, if I need it when I'm paying for gas, it ain't gonna do me a helluva lotta good in the car.

TIMC
September 13, 2007, 10:24 PM
I would not carry my gun without my CHL, too much opportunity for problems if pulled over. If I was a cop I would wonder why you want to carry but not get a CHL, it would make me think you are up to no good especially when a Texas CHL is so easy to get. That said I have had my CHL for 7 years now and carry everywhere I am allowed. I try not to go where I'm not allowed to carry.

Don Lu
September 13, 2007, 10:36 PM
Either of my 2 carry pieces (GLOCK 23, Taurus 651) get carried in ceter console. I carry the Taurus w/5 rounds of .357 mag and the G23 full mag w/one in the chamber. both ready to fire if needed.

MCgunner
September 13, 2007, 10:47 PM
Well, I have a CHL, but carried before I got it in 96, carried for a lot of years before I got it. I believe in the adage that I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six. If you wanna get killed, fine. Where do you think an armed robber is most likely to be, in a business with a 3006 sign, or where it's legal to carry? I carry everywhere, Post Office, buildings with 3006 signs, everywhere that doesn't have metal detectors.

glockman19
September 13, 2007, 11:28 PM
Unfortunately, in California, a gun must be transported ina locked box separate from ammunition.

Lt. G
September 13, 2007, 11:28 PM
Loaded with one in the pipe on the seat next to me, in either the gun case /or a brief case. Oh and a couple extra loaded mags. Plus my ankle holster with my taurus ti loaded with +Ps

jpwilly
September 14, 2007, 12:52 AM
Keep it loaded in an easily reached day planner style holster etc. If you need a gun having one that requires loading will do you no good!

MPanova
September 14, 2007, 03:31 AM
Keep it loaded first of all, get a cheap uncle mikes holster, slap it in there and wedge it between the drivers seat and center consol ;) if its not tight enough and the holster tends to comeout with the gun then get you some velcro tape and slap that to the holster and seat and there ya go,

Ragnar Danneskjold
September 14, 2007, 04:18 AM
I don't own a Garand.

In Michigan , a weapon in the car in any form constitutes "concealed carry", so a permit is required, unless transporting to and from a range. So if you don't have a CPL, you must carry the firearm unloaded in your trunk(or backseat if you have no trunk) in a carrying case. I think you must also have either a lock on the gun, or a lock on the case. The idea is, you are not allowed to have the weapon or ammunition be readily accessible if you don't have a CPL.

If you do hav a CPL, just use a holster.

jungleroy
September 14, 2007, 04:22 AM
I picked other.
Because I used to have an old 45 auto that rode next to me on my trucks bench seat in an old faded beat up cigar box.
I have since revised the truck carry plan to use a welded plate with a nylon dowel. Bolted down with the dowel sticking up off of it, that fits into the barrel of the 45 and holds it to the right of my stick shift within easy reach.
No not chambered, the slide locked back with the mag inserted. Just pull the 45 up and overhand the slide closed.
Thats my ideal method so far.

ArchAngelCD
September 14, 2007, 04:49 AM
IMO you carry a handgun in your car to protect against getting Car-Jacked. If you agree with that then you will also agree keeping the gun unloaded or in your trunk is like having no gun at all. I would carry the gun in an ankle holster because it is very easy to get to. On your side or in your pocket will take too long to get to but on your ankle it's very easy to access. If it's legal in your State you might want to carry your handgun in a holster which is mounted in your car within easy reach. (like on the side of the seat)

P. Plainsman
September 14, 2007, 05:38 AM
No offense -- I could tell the poll was by a new poster as soon as I saw the word "clip."

Modern semi-auto firearms use magazines. ;)

While driving? I'd tuck the pistol in a small soft gun case - isn't that "concealed from view?" If that says "gun" too much, use some other soft zippable container. I'd put the gun case (with pistol inside) somewhere I can access the gun immediately. Next to me in the passenger seat; tucked between the seat and the gear shift; or sitting behind the passenger seat (this is not too hard for the driver to reach -- at least in a small or medium car).

A loaded magazine in the pistol, a live round chambered. Manual safety engaged if the pistol has one. Like ArchAngel said, the point of a gun in the car is to defend against carjacking -- one needs to be able to grab and use the piece in a flash.

REPOMAN
September 14, 2007, 09:07 AM
Without a ccw license I'd lock it in the glove box locked and loaded....
and keep my reg. and ins proof clipped to my sunvisor in case of a pull over....
Me, w/ a ccw I keep it L+L in console and reg and ins. proof on sunvisor
Hint Hint..... in an 04 Trailblazer you can store a 7 inch long handgun business end down and ready to roll position in the center console.
Now that's deep concealment:evil:

Bo
September 14, 2007, 10:27 AM
In Indiana, you must have a CCW to carry on your person or in your vehicle. Otherwise it must be unloaded and the ammo seperated from the weapon.

M2 Carbine
September 14, 2007, 11:01 AM
Probably all things considered, other people/kids in the car, you want the gun where you can get it as fast as possible but yet where if you stop and get out of the car a passenger can't easily pick it up.

I'd say fully loaded and in a lockable glove compartment, so you can lock up the gun if you think you need to.
Driving by yourself, maybe on the seat with something over it.
I'm not in favor of having the gun in a case because it might take too long to get it in action.

I use this method for my extra handguns in the cars and truck but you have to take care it's not seen when you open the door.

Mostly the Texas LEO aren't spooked by the sight of a gun, like in some states. One time I was stopped and when I got out of the car and handed the trooper my DL and CHL I said, "I don't have a gun on me but I do in the car".
The trooper said, "You mean the one by the door".
I said, "Yeah, that's one of them".:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Fordgun.jpg

Mainsail
September 14, 2007, 12:33 PM
I keep it right where it's supposed to be, in the holster on my belt.

RustyHammer
September 14, 2007, 06:44 PM
In a book bag (along with spare mags, long knife, flash light, GPS, etc.) The gun is in it's own compartment, the other stuff is in another. Easy in, easy out. Bag is unzipped and is clipped to seat (so it doesn't fly away if I slam on my brakes) in passenger seat. Can also carry with me where ever I go..... never leave in car.

Works for me.

MNgoldenbear
September 15, 2007, 12:37 AM
I have a permit, so I carry it with me. I voted for under the seat in a case, as that's what I do when I have to stow the firearm (going into prohibited areas). I obtained a lock box that secures with cables around the seat base -- not "bullet-proof", but helps keep me from worrying about casual theft when I'm only away a short time. Generally I just try to keep it on my person as much as possible, both for the security of the firearm and myself.

scurtis_34471
September 15, 2007, 01:03 AM
I carry my XD-40 loaded and chambered in the pocket of the driver's door. I put it in my holster before I get out.

ArchAngelCD
September 15, 2007, 03:43 AM
I keep it right where it's supposed to be, in the holster on my belt.
Mainsail,
That isn't always the best place to carry your gun while driving in your car. If you're right handed like I am and have your gun holstered on your right side you probably have the gun covered by the seatbelt and squeezed between your body and the side console. In that position your gun is very hard to get to and that might be a fatal mistake. I suggested ankle carry for the car because it's very easy to get to especially for a righty where the gun is carried on your left ankle.

I read a story where that very thing happened to a LEO where a BG came at him and pointed a gun at him. He deployed his BUG from an ankle holster because his service weapon was too hard to get to while sitting in the car. The BUG on his ankle saved his life.

RCouch
September 15, 2007, 04:47 AM
I drive a Toyota Sienna. It has an arm rest on the door that hinges on top. It's large enough to carry my S&W 908 and access easily. My previous car was a Honda Accord and I used the glove compartment on it. My guns are always loaded and ready.

P. Plainsman
September 15, 2007, 05:27 PM
That isn't always the best place to carry your gun while driving in your car. If you're right handed like I am and have your gun holstered on your right side you probably have the gun covered by the seatbelt and squeezed between your body and the side console. In that position your gun is very hard to get to and that might be a fatal mistake.
For belt carry in this kind of situation, I've seen cross-draw holsters recommended -- a right-handed driver would keep the handgun holstered on his/her left side, with the butt pointed downward and canted forward for an easy grab across with the right hand.

If I were specifically choosing a rig optimized for "car carry," and it didn't have to double as a normal walking-around CCW rig, I'd probably go with a snubby revolver with a good-sized grip (such as the Hogue monogrip) in a cross-draw holster as described above.

I'm hardly a pro -- just informal impressions gathered from "car carrying" for a few years.

S&Wfan
September 15, 2007, 05:49 PM
The only CORRECT answer is this . . .

Check the laws for the state you are traveling in, and then follow the law! No other answer will work if you get arrested for doing it differently.

It is considered up to each individual to know the firearm laws of a particular state. Claiming a lack of knowledge on what you did wrong is NOT a way out of being arrested and/or proscecuted. This information IS avaliable on line too.

The other correct answer, if you live in a part of the land that is still free, is to get a concealed carry permit ASAP. The more of us who get licenses, the more formadible our numbers appear to any and all politicians who might be considering taking these rights away.

If you are eligible for a CCW, JOIN US . . .

T.

A concealed permit will not allow you to carry legally everywhere, of course. Also, the particulars vary, state-to-state about the whens and wheres. Again, you can find this out on line too . . . as where as learn the other states who honor YOU CCW license.

T.

wheelgunslinger
September 15, 2007, 10:08 PM
I see the clip vs. magazine nuns came and brought their ineffectual rulers of indignance and are rapping the OP's knuckles with them in righteous indignation.

I use a wheelgun. It stays on the seat when I'm driving, and it stays out of the holster.

If I'm somewhere it has to be locked up, I lock it in the glovebox.

ArchAngelCD
September 16, 2007, 01:46 AM
P. Plainsman,
That's not a bad method of carrying in a car. That should work for most people but might be a little hard for someone with a bit of a belly like me. LOL!!

karz10
September 16, 2007, 02:07 AM
Well, w/ no permit in NC you have to have it in plain sight, on seat or dash, goes over real well if you're in an accident, anyways..

However, in neighboring SC, you have to have it in a CLOSED COMPARTMENT, such as a glove box or console...

Now that I have a CWP, I can conceal it on person, but one reason I wanted a CWP was for if I had to have it in the car, I could put it in ONE place, the center console, and not worry about the law anymore as I travel across the border between the two states several times a day, and nor would I have to worry if my wife had one of the vehicles w/ something inside.

In my SUV, I have a handgun safe in the console, which is unlocked if I'm in the vehicle, and locked if I have to go somewhere I cant take the weapon w/ me. In the sedan, I would keep it in the console as well, and then put it in a lock box under the seat if I had to lock it up while out of the vehicle.

So, I had to vote "other" as I feel the glove box is too far away to get to it, I'd rather have it safely secured in a holster (very simple holster, just to keep the trigger covered, since I too carry a Glock) in the center console.

karz

rosco22
September 16, 2007, 02:39 AM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q233/KIDGLOCK/ClipsMags001.jpg

Clip on left . Magazine on right . ..............................repeat till it sinks in !!!!!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q233/KIDGLOCK/frontseat005.jpg

Depends on where ya live :neener:

The Bushmaster
September 16, 2007, 11:10 AM
On my belt at my side...I have a CCW and can carry both open carry or concealed and it's legal in this state to conceal a handgun in the car anywhere...

Creature
September 16, 2007, 11:15 AM
Hey rosco22, clean out your change bin....you have way too many pennies in there!!

rosco22
September 16, 2007, 11:38 AM
Hey rosco22, clean out your change bin....you have way too many pennies in there!!

OK ....................:scrutiny:

MrTwigg
September 16, 2007, 11:48 AM
Where lawfull to do so, it belongs loaded and on your person. crossdraw or shoulder holsters are best for ready access while seated.

cnorman18
September 16, 2007, 12:03 PM
Or door pocket, if you have either.

alligator94
September 16, 2007, 12:19 PM
This really varies wildly on what is legal on a state by state basis. But in Texas I would go with loaded in the glovebox. Just get a ccw so you don't have to worry though.

MCgunner
September 16, 2007, 12:24 PM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q233/KIDGLOCK/frontseat005.jpg

If you park that anywhere in Houston, don't expect to see the windows unbroken when you get back to your car. :D

rosco22
September 16, 2007, 01:41 PM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q233/KIDGLOCK/motivator8425790.jpg

The pistol stays where it is , ar and bag are for a range run .......When I leave the truck sidearm goes with me . Never leave a weapon in you're ride !!!!! Locks only keep an honest man honest !!!

swingpress
September 16, 2007, 01:47 PM
If you're right handed, in a IWB holster in the map pocket behind the passengers seat (if your car has one).

Better yet, get your concealed permit and keep it on your person.

Always keep a defense firearm loaded.

Creature
September 16, 2007, 03:19 PM
rosco22: I was just saying because there's just not many reasons to keep pennies layin' around cluttering things up since they don't get used much.

Everything else is just fine!! :)

MCgunner
September 16, 2007, 03:24 PM
Hell, there are those in H town who'd kill you for that loose change.

My wife does that, change in the cup holders, everywhere. My grand daughter ruined her CD player in the car playing put the penny in the slot. I got a bunch of 'em out, but it still don't work. I don't drive it that often and have an MP3 player that I can run through the radio if I do. :D Stereo works fine in my van, grand daugher hasn't discovered it, yet.

ronto
September 16, 2007, 04:01 PM
I carry a 357 revolver in a holster set-up in my truck. I know where it is but you won't. I ain't worried bout no "clip", safety, a bad round, a limp wrist, or dust bunnies either.

Cannonball888
September 16, 2007, 04:17 PM
You left out the option:
With the "clip" loaded in the gun and in the trunk with a long string attached so if you need it you can yank it up front through a big hole in your back seat.

Autolycus
September 16, 2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by McGunner: Well, I have a CHL, but carried before I got it in 96, carried for a lot of years before I got it. I believe in the adage that I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six. If you wanna get killed, fine. Where do you think an armed robber is most likely to be, in a business with a 3006 sign, or where it's legal to carry? I carry everywhere, Post Office, buildings with 3006 signs, everywhere that doesn't have metal detectors. So you don't respect the law? Nor do you respect the rights of property owners? Your giving all gunowners a bad name by breaking the law and disrespecting the wishes of business owners.

MCgunner
September 16, 2007, 06:00 PM
So you don't respect the law? Nor do you respect the rights of property owners? Your giving all gunowners a bad name by breaking the law and disrespecting the wishes of business owners.

Don't stomp on my right to defend myself and I won't bother you either. I don't consider my own security in any way terroristic and I don't trust our police to protect me from evil 24/7.

There was a time in this state when no one legally could carry, but it was estimated that 25 percent of the population did anyway. That was probably an over-exuberant guesstimate, but it was a significant part of the population regardless. I don't ask for much, just to be left alone, to have my wife and loved ones safe from the animals out there. That can't be done by relying on government. If you want it done, do it yourself, in as much as you can.

I will say, if I see a 30.06 sign and have a choice, I just won't go in there. If it's a restaurant, I won't eat there. I don't drink much and never in bars, so that's not a problem. About the only time I pass through where I'm not supposed to is if I have to go into another bank than where I bank (we have our gun club meetings at my bank..:D) or have to go in the PO....don't ask, don't tell seems to work for more than gays in the military. The banks are where I feel most vulnerable, though, for obvious reasons.

About the only restaurant where I've seen a 30.06 sign in my area is a IHOP. They've since taken theirs down. Many's the time my wife wanted to eat there and I went to Dennys in protest. :D I go there now since they've wised up.

BTW, Tecumseh, you always abide by the law? Never over the speed limit? Always snap that seat belt over you, do ya? Always take your oil down to the Walmart for recycling? Never bled off any freon? Never let any cash income go unreported? Never exaggerated a tax write off? I'll bet there's so many laws in this country, you've probably broken one or two and didn't even know it. We have way too many laws in this country and many of 'em are detrimental to individual freedom IMHO. I obey the law probably as much as you do, don't know for sure, but probably. I don't have a whole lot of income, so I have no need to cheat on my taxes. That would be funny, but it's too sad to be funny. :D And, hey, I could be worse. I mean, just look at OJ.

roscoe
September 17, 2007, 02:11 AM
No, seriously, you are a bad person.

ChickenHawk
September 18, 2007, 08:35 PM
Yikes, if you do all the stuff in your last paragraph (which you obviously believe are really OK and besides everybody does it) then you really ARE a bad person! :(

GaryP
September 19, 2007, 01:35 AM
It depends on the State in question!

I have a NC CWP but if I didn't it would be on the seat beside me in plain view for any LEO to observe.

:evil:

Davy Crockett
September 19, 2007, 06:42 PM
357 magnum snubby. Cross draw. Wife has a sig 226 9 in between seat and console.

skwab
September 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
First, get your CHL - it takes a day for the course, is not too expensive, get to fire a few rounds, and will make carrying much simpler. I never leave a gun in the car - Even when my wife and I go to the range, and we get breakfast before, or lunch right after, and I know my gear is in the car - it makes me nervous as hell - so that happens rarely, but just keeping a gun full time in the car IMO is not a good idea - so then you're faced with what to do with that firearm when you leave the car - do yourself a favor and get your CHL - you'll actually learn a thing or two, and be more apt to carry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun carrying in cars" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!