Mail Call from The Gulf last night...

PDA

Mike Irwin
July 8, 2003, 02:31 PM
Anyone see this? R. Lee was in the Gulf with American Troops.

Good show.

But one thing really struck me...

The shows was based at a Marine Air Base, IIRC.

They showed a number of Marines, including the Camp Commander, wearing M9s in shoulder holsters.

No magazines in the gun. Just a big old gaping hole...

If you enjoyed reading about "Mail Call from The Gulf last night..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ala Dan
July 8, 2003, 02:34 PM
Hi Mike-

Yes, I saw old R. Lee out there in the Gulf, and
aboard the U.S.S. Nimitz. Those Marines were
sure struting their stuff weren't they; not to
have any magazines in their weapons!

Best To You,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

fatboyclone
July 8, 2003, 02:44 PM
it was posted on here at the beginning of the 'war' that troops were not issued any ammo until they were heading off base or there was a significant threat. this was supposedly done to reduce the number of friendly fire accidents.

Henry Bowman
July 8, 2003, 03:07 PM
Also noticed how R. Lee can't keep his finger OFF the trigger.

Wouldn't it be fun to have his job?

cool45auto
July 8, 2003, 03:17 PM
That was funny the way his butt was dragging after they went down like twenty sections to get to a certain door.:D

OF
July 8, 2003, 03:41 PM
I missed it! :banghead: I love that show.

- Gabe

JeepDriver
July 8, 2003, 03:46 PM
Why did they even bother carrying their weapons if they didn't have any ammo?

Ol' Badger
July 8, 2003, 04:24 PM
Blowing up the Water Mellon was the best thou!!
:evil:

hops
July 8, 2003, 05:45 PM
Ya, the Gunny was having way too much fun out there. What I found cool is how the video camara shook when the shock wave hit from the big EOD detenation that Gunny got to set off remotely. Usually do not see that in movies too often.

No4Mk1
July 8, 2003, 05:57 PM
Why did they even bother carrying their weapons if they didn't have any ammo?

Just speaking from my experience, once you draw weapons from the armory, they remain on your person at all times until they are returned to the armory. Also, when we were in theater we had our weapons on us at all times, but were only issued (loaded) magazines when leaving post or on guard duty. Don't necesarily agree with the practice, but that was the way it was.

Destructo6
July 8, 2003, 06:09 PM
Like No4 said, when you check out your weapon, it's required to be no more than arm's distance away from you, usually closer. If we were going a few yards away in order to pitch GP tents or something, we could stack arms and post a gear guard.

Water melon is Gunny's favorite enemy.

Mike Irwin
July 8, 2003, 06:47 PM
Ermy blasted a watermelon with a Browning 1919, or a Lewis gun (possibly both) but I was EXTREMELY disappointed that he didn't do the same with the Ma Deuce that he had on one show.

lionken07
July 8, 2003, 06:51 PM
I saw it too..I thought it was a bit too short...:p

HoooWA

Waitone
July 8, 2003, 08:31 PM
They could have found a Y door much closer to the surface than the bottom of the ship. I suspect the navy engaged is a little friendly passive aggression with the good Gunny.

The fact that he was panting showed me the navy was pulling his chain.

BowStreetRunner
July 8, 2003, 09:43 PM
I especially liked the dear gunny's tribute to the troops at the end
BSR

LawDog
July 8, 2003, 10:31 PM
That was funny the way his butt was dragging after they went down like twenty sections to get to a certain door.

Gunny's butt may have been dragging, but when I get to be his age I'll be happy if my butt is dragging after that run.

When I'm his age, paramedics will be scraping my butt up off the deck at the midway point, administering oxygen, and stretchering me to the ER.

LawDog

HankB
July 8, 2003, 11:25 PM
Funny . . . one way or another, all the guys I know who were issued weapons when on active duty (after basic) usually ended up with ammo, whether it was issued or not.

duckfoot
July 9, 2003, 01:39 AM
"Amen" Hank B

Simper Gumby
"always flexable"

UnknownSailor
July 9, 2003, 02:03 AM
I sure as hell would have a magazine stashed on my person somewhere, regs be damned. And they wouldn't be ball, either, cause if I have to start shooting, we're all in deep..... :D

S_O_Laban
July 9, 2003, 02:27 AM
I saw the show and really enjoyed it ( watched it with my 10yo son). I thought his statement about not eating the melon because it would probably taste like black powder was great. All in all a pretty good show even though a little on the short side.

Mike Irwin
July 9, 2003, 02:32 AM
"I thought his statement about not eating the melon because it would probably taste like black powder was great."

You could hear people laughing in the background when he said that! I got a chuckle out of it, too.

spacemanspiff
July 9, 2003, 04:23 PM
the part where he told the soldier to "drop and give me twenty" while wearing that chemical suit was great. the soldier didnt even hesitate, but you could tell he was relieved the Gunny was just yanking his chain.

Henry Bowman
July 9, 2003, 04:37 PM
Spiff - I noticed that, too.

Also liked the part on the Nimitz. I have had the rare privilege of touring and being on the deck (at sail) of the Mother Nimitz as a civilian while a dozen airplanes were lanched and recovered. Cool beyond words! Did you see his grin as they launched? "Somebody call my chiropractor!" :D

Alfadog
July 10, 2003, 12:03 AM
I love the show too. I watched it with my two-year old son. It is the only non-chlidrens' show he will sit and watch--I think he likes it because ol' Gunny talks directly to the camera like the characters on childrens' shows often do. My son was fascinated with the Air Force Pararescue Jumpers. And he shouts "OOO-RAH!" whenever R. Lee blows something up.

Apple don't fall far from the tree, I guess.

Alan Smithiee
July 10, 2003, 12:38 AM
"That was funny the way his butt was dragging after they went down like twenty sections to get to a certain door."

From the IMDB.

http://us.imdb.com/Bio?Ermey,%20R.%20Lee

"He rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant, and his Marine service included one and a half tours in Vietnam. After injuries forced him to retire from military service, he moved to the Phillipines, enrolling in the University of Manila, where he studied Criminology and Drama."

a med discharge might have had something to do with that huffin and puffin..

If you enjoyed reading about "Mail Call from The Gulf last night..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!