Most Un-Tacticool Rifle....

PDA

boredelmo
September 14, 2007, 09:48 PM
I am selling all my evil guns. That i have plenty of, and they will be all gone.

Now if i do that, i will have approximately 0 guns.

I still need something for HD, just in case.

So think AR-15 with eotech, aimpoint, surefire, collapse stock, beta-c mag and think of the exact opposite of that.

I guess I'm looking at C&R stuff, but i have no idea where to start.

thanks in advance,

-Elmer

If you enjoyed reading about "Most Un-Tacticool Rifle...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
September 14, 2007, 09:55 PM
One word in long guns, if you can't shoot a handgun for some reason......Shotgun. I don't keep a rifle loaded in the house. I have a shotgun, a little coach gun in 20 gauge, and a .38 revolver for home defense. I don't feel I need anything else. No hinds with fast roping ninjas spotted in my neighborhood lately.

Hoppy590
September 14, 2007, 09:57 PM
mosin nagant
lever action rifle
bolt action shotgun
all very untacticool

Milsurps are a great thing to get into with or with out EBR's on the side.

do you want cheap?
Do you want rare?
do you want functional?

boredelmo
September 14, 2007, 10:01 PM
Cheap, functional, prob prefer to stick to semi-auto.

elmerfudd
September 14, 2007, 10:03 PM
How about a Marlin 336? It's still a good defensive rifle and it's about as far from tacticool as you can get.

boredelmo
September 14, 2007, 10:05 PM
Hmm, my dad has a few lever-actions lying around, maybe I'll take one of his.

Car Knocker
September 14, 2007, 10:07 PM
Hi-Point carbine in 9mm or .40S&W. Gets good reviews from owners. Inexpensive. Paint it pink or purple (or both). Can't think of anything else that is less tactical.

Hoppy590
September 14, 2007, 10:09 PM
that being the case. i think a levergun in a pistol chamber would be good. personaly im looking at 357/38 lever gun.

chad1043
September 14, 2007, 10:12 PM
1894 .357 Lever action. Get it cut down to 16 inches. You have one of the best home defense guns around.

MCgunner
September 14, 2007, 10:12 PM
Semi auto non-tacticool rifles? How about the Marlin camp guns? 9mm or .45ACP in a carbine that LOOKS like a hunting rifle or .22 rifle. I have a Rossi lever action M92 in .357 magnum that would fit that bill, just not the auto part.

ROMAK IV
September 14, 2007, 10:15 PM
MAS 49/56, Hakim, Garand.

Hoppy590
September 14, 2007, 10:21 PM
dont forget the M1 carbine!

DMK
September 14, 2007, 10:26 PM
I'd go with a 30-30 lever action. It's a real medium rifle caliber, not a pistol caliber. It's handy. It's low cost. Reliable.

Other good options would be a No.4 Enfield, Springfield 03A3, M1 Garand. These would be slightly heavy and unwieldy though.

wdlsguy
September 14, 2007, 10:28 PM
For HD, used Mossberg 500 with wood furniture.

MCgunner
September 14, 2007, 10:33 PM
I'd go with a 30-30 lever action. It's a real medium rifle caliber, not a pistol caliber. It's handy. It's low cost. Reliable.

For huntin' deer or defending your home? Too much for the house. Besides, the .357 magnum is NO wimp with 140 grain JHPs puttin' out 1200 ft lbs. I've killed a deer with mine using 158 grain SWC hard cast gas checked at about 1900 fps. That's a mild load if you look at the Buffalo Bore .357 carbine specs. Buffalo Bore rivals .30-30 and you get ten rounds in the magazine with a 20" carbine in .357.

lamazza
September 14, 2007, 10:35 PM
Saiga fits that bill perfectly.

lee n. field
September 14, 2007, 10:38 PM

So think AR-15 with eotech, aimpoint, surefire, collapse stock, beta-c mag and think of the exact opposite of that.

Exact opposite? 12 gauge side-by-side. (http://www.baikalinc.ru/en/company/49.html)

GunTech
September 14, 2007, 10:39 PM
For short range, a Mini-14 will cover you. I'm not keen on their poor accuracy, but they's shoot the length of a room no problem. Other than that, Browning BAR (the sporting gun) or a Remington 7400 are non-tactikool.

If you are going to have a rifle, have a rifle. Not a pistol carbine.

spankaveli
September 14, 2007, 10:43 PM
sks fits the bill for your credentials (cheap, semi auto, untacticool)

elmerfudd
September 14, 2007, 10:45 PM
One of those Ruger .44 Deerfield carbines they used to make would also probably be a good choice. A .44 mag bullet from a 18.5" barrel would have a lot of thump.

no_problem
September 14, 2007, 10:46 PM
{MAS 49/56, Hakim, Garand.}

Those are for long distance shooting, not home defense. They will penetrate and get you in hot water with the police and neighbors.

How about a shotgun? A win 870 is cheap and plentiful, load up with #7 shot.

or chose what your local law enforcement officer carries as a duty gun

Titan6
September 14, 2007, 10:59 PM
Well the exact opposite would be a top break single shot .22RF. Then I saw your other post. So if you want a semi-auto get an old 10/22 in an original stock. Cheap, reliable non-tactical. Ammo is really cheap and the gun is less than $200.

If you want more ''omph'' get an old Remington 742 in either .308 or 30-06. The gun is very reliable and less than $300. Neither will find their way into anyone's tacitcal gear bag these days. Both are very capable at what they do.

A lot of the guns already mentioned (mini-14, HiPoint Carbines) are facing bans in some states because they are too tactitool. Nobody short of Kucinch is calling for a ban on a 742 or a 10/22.

fastpat
September 14, 2007, 11:09 PM
One word in long guns, if you can't shoot a handgun for some reason......Shotgun. I don't keep a rifle loaded in the house. I have a shotgun, a little coach gun in 20 gauge, and a .38 revolver for home defense. I don't feel I need anything else. No hinds with fast roping ninjas spotted in my neighborhood lately.Hmmm, perhaps you should review the video's of those defending their property during the so-called Rodney King riots. They used, that is to say fired, multiple magazines of rifle ammo.

telomerase
September 14, 2007, 11:09 PM
You know, the kind of people that they let onto juries can't tell one gun from another... and they would think that a MAS or a Swedish mauser were supertacticool because:
1. they'd never seen one and
2. The lawyer would explain that they are "much more powerful than an M16", which of course is true.

Maybe you should get an M4gery and hope the jury associates it with our heroic legions. (More to the point, just get whatever you shoot best and don't hit the neighbors).

boredelmo
September 14, 2007, 11:10 PM
On the top of my list:

1. SKS
2. .357 levergun
3. maybe 10/22
4. maybe maybe a shotgun

kaizer
September 14, 2007, 11:17 PM
I will be the third to mention the SKS. Get something other than a yugo and they are pretty handy, the yugo seems really long to me. Get a tapco 20 rd mag. (they are flawless) and you are good to go. Plus two boxes of ammo and all for around $250 if you can find a decent deal.

Plenty of firepower, cheap, semi-auto, untacticool.

MCgunner
September 14, 2007, 11:18 PM
Hmmm, perhaps you should review the video's of those defending their property during the so-called Rodney King riots. They used, that is to say fired, multiple magazines of rifle ammo.

1 I don't live in Watts

2 The new castle doctrine law doesn't cover me outside my house or car. Outside, I have a duty to retreat, cannot legally use deadly force unless there is no other option and I think at 300 yard combat ranges, there are other options.

3 I ain't puttin' up with all the court BS for shooting someone over stuff. If my life or that of an immediate family member or good friend isn't at stake, let someone else take care of it. I ain't gettin' involved. I'll call 911 to do my civic duty.

beachbreak
September 14, 2007, 11:26 PM
Ditto on the SKS.

Jimmy Newman
September 14, 2007, 11:34 PM
MCgunner, that is not how I read the new law that has passed... it reads, in part, that "A person who has a right to be present at the location
where the deadly force is used, who has not provoked the person
against whom the deadly force is used, and who is not engaged in
criminal activity at the time the deadly force is used is not
required to retreat before using deadly force as described by this
section." So basically, under the circumstances in which deadly force is ok, there is no duty to attempt to retreat. The circumstances described in which deadly force is justified includes protecting yourself from someone else using deadly force as well as preventing someone from committing aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, and aggravated robbery.

Not saying it's always a good idea, but that's what the law says - you don't always have to retreat.

To stay on topic, I'll toss up another vote with the pump shotgun/levergun idea for a non-tacticool home defense weapon. You can shoot a levergun pretty fast pretty accurately, actually.

MCgunner
September 14, 2007, 11:40 PM
Well, that ain't what my lawyer says. I had the discussion recently, though my case occured before the castle doctrine went into effect. I'm battling in court right now. Trust me, you don't wanna go there unless you're OJ Simson and really enjoy the food at the county jail....:barf:

W.E.G.
September 14, 2007, 11:43 PM
I am selling all my evil guns. That i have plenty of, and they will be all gone.

why?

HM2PAC
September 14, 2007, 11:48 PM
I would recommend the M-1 Garand.

Simple effective .30-06 power, iron sights, no "tacticool".

HM2PAC
September 14, 2007, 11:49 PM
So.....

what's for sale?

Jimmy Newman
September 15, 2007, 12:08 AM
MCgunner,

Maybe there is something I'm missing - I'm sure a lawyer would know better than I would. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble, I hope it ends well (as well as they ever do, anyway).

boredelmo
September 15, 2007, 12:14 AM
A simple word that would sum a lot of things up without getting into too many details: Disillusionment.

kaizer
September 15, 2007, 12:17 AM
why the gun sales? I would imagine that you will regret doing away with your collection, I have regretted getting rid of every gun that I have sold.

RockyMtnTactical
September 15, 2007, 12:31 AM
Mosin Nagant

W.E.G. poses the most obvious question though, WHY?

tjhjunk
September 15, 2007, 12:42 AM
Sorry...

First choice... Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70

Second.. Remington 870 Police Magnum 12ga.

Third...All The Above:D

Tim:cool:

Logan5
September 15, 2007, 02:25 AM
Um, your first choice for the opposite of an AR-15 would be a Colt 6920? Are you saying you hate Colts, or did you miss the first post?

I was thinking of something along the lines of an original Marlin carbine in say, .38-40, with a tang mounted peep sight.

frankcostanza
September 15, 2007, 02:30 AM
id be happy to take some of those evil guns off your hands :D

cslinger
September 15, 2007, 02:33 AM
I cannot see how a good ole fashioned HBAR won't solve your issues. Thats a Hill Billy Assault Rifle or a lever gun for the uninitiated.

A good Marlin in 30-30 or even .357/.44 Magnum seems like it would fit the bill nicely.

Chris

dstorm1911
September 15, 2007, 02:39 AM
Winchester 1300 or a REMINGTON 870 ya got all your bases covered load slugs or shot depending on the situation, I've even been playin with loadin up shot shells with unground black pepper latelly ...... more outa boredom than anything else but I'll tell ya it makes a great rabbit huntin load ;) thinkin bout mixin in a 50/50 rocksalt/pepper load next........ pre seasoned meat

with a 12 gauge ya got enough versatility to cover anything ya might possibly need to deal with, add in a S&W .357 and your really covered go with wood grips so nobody mistakes the magnum for a "tactical revolver" now ya can either hunt with slugs, buckshot or .357, have an intruder problem and the .357 can fight your way to the scatter gun without ya havin to be drawin attention to yourself if it turns out it was the neighbors cat gettin lonely etc..

Dionysusigma
September 15, 2007, 06:38 AM
http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/images/kp44ds.jpg
http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=131

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/images/firuppsh41.jpg
http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=133

:D

alucard0822
September 15, 2007, 07:53 AM
Reccomendations are probably going to be somewhat more useful with a little background info

Now if i do that, i will have approximately 0 guns.

Why the going out of buisness sale, and
what exactly constitutes an evil gun?

If this is due to the result of legal action that would bar you from posessing firearms, well then a big stick or a hammer is not very tactical at all.

If due to financial problems, you are probably better off keeping one that you presently own, if not possible, then an el cheapo hi-point carbine

If your present guns are indeed "evil" due to some sort of spiritual posession, perhaps by a malicious poltergeist, well then I would say supersoaker filled with holy water, possibly a sling shot loaded with rosary beads.

jerkface11
September 15, 2007, 12:06 PM
What's for sale and how much?

wdlsguy
September 15, 2007, 12:18 PM
Boredelmo is a student at UT-Austin, so he probably lives in an apartment, and probably has roommates, so a .30 caliber centerfire probably isn't the best HD choice for him.

james_bond
September 15, 2007, 12:24 PM
Winchester Model 94 Trapper in .357 or .44 mag it is a "John Wayne gun" not the "Deathmaster 2000"

A wood stocked pump shotgun (870)

A side by side shotgun for the Jed Clampet aproach

GunTech
September 15, 2007, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't call an SKS, non-tacticool. Any military rifle falls into that category, and for a while the SKS, along with the more notorious AK, were prime gang banger guns - mostly because they were/are cheap.

FuzzyBunny
September 15, 2007, 12:47 PM
12ga shotgun!

Put some duck or deer decals on it. Think how it would look in court when they hold up the shotty for the jury and it has geese or ducks or even Elmer Fudd decals on it.

"I heard my door being kicked open so I grabbed my dear old Duck Gun and went to check on my familys Safety"

Will the jury relate better to that or a tricked out assault shotgun? Put yourself in the juries position. Does a 12ga with hunters orange furniture and a big ducks unlimited sticker really look like something a troublemaker would have? Seems to me it looks like something John Homeowner would grab as a last resort.

"I never thought I would have to use my dear old bird gun to save me or my familys life"

No matter the circumstance you will end up in court at some point if you do shoot someone. At least here in Texas. Now it may be a 10 minute session as they drop charges or find it a justifible shooting.

Just a thought.

zinj
September 15, 2007, 12:53 PM
I'd say some sort of shotgun with a barrel at least 24" in length (otherwise the whole "riot gun" angle gets going). Pump, O/U, or SxS with wood furniture. Most semis work too, most lay-people have a hard time distunguishing them from pumps.

rbernie
September 15, 2007, 12:56 PM
You want a non-tactical semiauto? The problem with most milsurps is they still look, well, military.

If you want a full power chambering, you're probably looking at a Remmie 742/7400/750, or a maybe a Saiga with wood furniture.

The Remmie 750:

http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/centerfire/smsil_750.jpg

An 18.5" 308 or 35 Whelen would make a dandy all-around rifle, so long as fast mag changes aren't on the agenda.

MCgunner
September 15, 2007, 01:34 PM
In my bedroom....

http://imageigloo.com/images/6966PICT0097.JPG

mp510
September 15, 2007, 02:12 PM
I was of the understanding that people with pending felony charges are ineligible to buy firearms.

mp510
September 15, 2007, 02:13 PM
I was of the understanding that people with pending felony charges are ineligible to buy firearms.

boredelmo
September 15, 2007, 03:19 PM
future planning.

Once Justice is served, i will be free to exercise my rights. But I've just come to the realization that thinking about firearms isn't a sin or illegal.

mp510
September 15, 2007, 04:39 PM
I guess it's good to have something to optimistically look forward to. I was just concerened you were looking for something for the immediate.

Hopefully the courts will rule in your favor if your actions were just.

jpwilly
September 15, 2007, 07:04 PM
I guess I'm looking at C&R stuff, but i have no idea where to start.
Semi Autos: SKS, Ruger Mini 14 (wood stock) Browning BAR, M1, M1 Carbine. Bolt: Enfield, Springfield Mauser, Nagant - In that order. Single Shot: Rolling block, Rossi Trifecta? Anyway many non Tacticool stuff but I prefer a few "evil" rifles.

hank327
September 15, 2007, 07:06 PM
I think an M1 carbine would fit the bill perfectly for a semi-auto home defense rifle. Short, light, and handy in a not too powerful a cartridge. After all, it was developed with the intent to replace the 1911 as the personal defense weapon of noncombatant troops in WWII.

Samuraigg
September 15, 2007, 07:37 PM
I would say the Garand, but I definitely wouldn't want to use one for home defense. Can you say "over penetration?" Great for an overall SHTF rifle though.

The M1 Carbine could be a good choice, but keep in mind some areas do already ban them, and they are starting to get on the lists for potential AWBs. At least they don't look evil.

I would have to say go with a pump 12ga shotgun.

MatthewVanitas
September 15, 2007, 07:55 PM
I'll put in another vote for M1 Carbine or .357 levergun.

Have you handled an M1 Carbine? They're so tiny as to look almost more like a .22 than a centerfire. I've seen Planfields at the SAXET gunshow last year for $325-375 if you're lucky. If you go for an M1 Carbine, do some advance reading so you don't get a Universal or other undesirable variant/clone.

I've only seen two used .357 leverguns on the shelf in Austin while I was there, and one Marlin got snatched up for $225 (not by me).

Did you sell your MAC semi already? That's plenty of evil and not terribly useful, could bring you some good pocket change for other purchases.

The Annoyed Man
September 15, 2007, 09:30 PM
Hmmm, perhaps you should review the video's of those defending their property during the so-called Rodney King riots. They used, that is to say fired, multiple magazines of rifle ammo.Hey fastpat, I lived in L.A. during those riots. Most people didn't shoot anything. It is the PRC, where state gun laws have done all they can to make sure that the citizenry is largely disarmed, and the only people with guns are criminals or cops. What they mostly did was run like hell. Me? I carried a .45 and hoped for the best.

Nolo
September 15, 2007, 11:15 PM
The most un-tacticool gun ever? A smoothbore matchlock.
You could even get a multi-barreled version to pop off those multiple shots.
:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

351 WINCHESTER
September 15, 2007, 11:52 PM
Get yourself an old beat up 07 winchester. It makes an excellent house gun as you would probably be the only one who knows how to chamber a round. Most folks don't. That is a definate plus for a house gun. The down side is the ammo. Winchester quit loading the .351slr around the middle 1980's, so it's definately a reloading proposition. You can get brass and bullets - no problem. I bought a spare firing pin off ebay last year. After looking at it I decided it was pretty well unbreakable. It's massave, to say the least.

It's more powerful than a .357 from a rifle. Check it out on www.brassfetcher.com.

phaed
September 16, 2007, 12:17 AM

so, you want something functional, but avoid guns that are the designed to exceed in these functions? i don't mean to be disrespectful, but it sounds like you are asking us to solve a dilemma you have created. i'm sure you have your reasons, but realize they are at odds with your request.

coelacanth
September 16, 2007, 04:33 PM
a 12 guage pump shotgun with wooden furniture. a .303 Enfield, probably a No.4 Mk1 and a .38/.357 cal. revolver. Anyone so armed and reasonably skilled in the use of same is not someone to be f----d with despite the fact that they do not ooze tacticoolness.

JohnMcD348
September 16, 2007, 04:38 PM
Cricket .22LR single shot:evil:

Browning
September 16, 2007, 07:04 PM
Alright, well I tried to follow the instructions by trying to imagine the exact opposite of and AR-15 with all the high speed vertical grips, tactical lights, E.O. Tech, rails, bipod, lasers, can opener, personal accountant etc. But at the same time have it be semi-auto which was one of the instructions.

boredelmo : I still need something for HD, just in case.

This is what I came up with.

Remington Model 742

http://www.mdgardner.com/guns/Rem742.jpg

Either that or this.

Ruger Mini-14
http://www.modelguns.co.uk/images/mini14q.jpg

So how did I do? Was that kind of what you were looking for?

pinstripe
September 17, 2007, 12:12 AM
I love firearms, and I have collected quite a few, but I protect my home with the lowly Winchester model 120 12Ga. pump shotgun. If ever my property is in need of defense, hopefully the sound of the pump shotgun chambering a "OO" buckshot will scare the intruder away. Can you imagine the sound of a pump shotgun to an intruder who knows he is in the wrong place doing the wrong things. Rack the slide and put him outside.
Most juries still associate shotguns with Uncle Jed and overalls. Let 'em keep thinking that way.
Later

doc2rn
September 17, 2007, 12:26 AM
I just bought an arisaka to redo to keep the moss 500a company, oh yeah wood looks better than tacticool

mrmeval
September 17, 2007, 09:46 AM
7.5x55 K31 Swiss Karabiner with surplus ammo it will do subMOA in many cases. I've seen where the polymer tipped bullets used in reloads do as well and are suitable for hunting.

SKS in a sporting stock and grind off anything that offends then add a five round magazine.

You can find a sporterized M1917 with nice wood. I have one in .30-06 but you can find them in larger calibers.

S&W eight shot .357 revolver.

Zero Knives
September 17, 2007, 12:05 PM
If I'm reaching for a rifle to defend my family and home, something has gone terribly wrong. To follow commandment 4, I'd have to memorize the layout of every house on my block...

I keep an unchambered 12GA stoked with RR buckshot locked but at hand and leave it at that. The ARs, AKs, Mosins and other military-oriented longarms sit quietly in the safe. A military/surplus arm was built for the most tactical evironment; hardly untacticool...

My personal belief is that rifles have no place in defending my castle, law and perception non-withstanding. I'm not going on the offensive; my best case scenario has me gathering my loved ones together in one place and defending that point with 911 recording every damn move. A defense scenario that can't be solved with a pistol or shotgun is rare in my book. Of course, without gobs of training, anything less than a bazooka and you're screwed...:D

The graduations of home defense don't start with Mongol hordes or even looters, in turn most of my limited mental capacity and budget is spent training myself for more likely events...

Samuraigg
September 17, 2007, 06:51 PM
Don't they make 10 round magazines for the Remington Semi Automatic rifles? How reliable are those magazines?

With a 10 round magazine, they seem like a decent SD rifle that would never be on any AWB lists.

KBintheSLC
September 17, 2007, 07:01 PM
Don't use a center fire rifle for home defense unless you are prepared to pay mountains of cash for defense attorneys when you over-penetrate and kill your neighbors dog/kid/grandma. It is overkill to boot. Get a 12 gauge or a Glock 9mm or a nice revolver using .38ish. They do the job without testicular overcompensation.

Paradiddle
September 18, 2007, 03:12 AM
I would absolutely recommend a GI M1 Carbine. Light, very easy to shoulder in a small space, accurate out far enough, more then good stopping power and penetration at close range, uber cool.

I would also get a 12 gauge pump - an old 870 Wingmaster police gun, or a Winchester Model 12 Riot run, or an Ithaca DSPS police gun - something way cool with wood stocks.

The Garand is a beast - it is long and heavy. It would be great for zombies at 500 yards, but I wouldn't want to lug mine through my house. The Carbine is so much easier to handle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most Un-Tacticool Rifle...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!