Weird weird weird question....

PDA

boredelmo
September 14, 2007, 11:02 PM
What is the least offensive handgun you can think of? (seems like an oxymoron)

For example, if you had to show a severe anti (would faint at mention of AR-15, AK47, Glock etc), what handgun would you show?

Think opposite of a Glock 17 w/33 round mag and laser/light combo.

I can't think of anything short of a Single action revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about "Weird weird weird question...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PTK
September 14, 2007, 11:09 PM
Stainless Buckmark with walnut grips, I believe. From my experience, no one has been intimidated by it when I use it to teach.

trueblue1776
September 14, 2007, 11:17 PM
An old Colt Police .38?

Hi-Power Renaissance? (Oh wait, that's just the sexiest.)

HM2PAC
September 14, 2007, 11:22 PM
I would start with a shotgun.

After that, maybe a revolver or a nostalgic GI Colt 1911.

Target pistols are another place to start. Something that is so tricked out for competition that it has no place in self-defense.

armoredman
September 14, 2007, 11:22 PM
Blackpowder single shot flintlock, preferably in a museum under lock and key, no powder or ball anywhere within 200 miles.

GRB
September 14, 2007, 11:23 PM
A watergun can be offensive to anti's.

BigBlock
September 14, 2007, 11:42 PM
A Nagant revolver.;)

sd
September 15, 2007, 01:06 AM
single action revolver, black powder pistol, T/C contender single shot, small .22 or .25 pocket autos.

Ghost Walker
September 15, 2007, 01:19 AM
Frankly, I don't associate with people like that; and, if I were to come across one, I'd do my level best to annoy him.

(Watch the blinking red light - Cool, huh!) ;)

RyanM
September 15, 2007, 01:30 AM
A lot of non-gun people think my Kahr MK40 is "cute," and are usually fairly impressed when I say it's actually smaller than James Bond's PPK, yet over 3 times as powerful. Not rabid anti-gunners, though.

doc2rn
September 15, 2007, 02:07 AM
I would start with an old chinese black powder musket since they where the first, also show him the arrows they fired.

Monkeybear
September 15, 2007, 02:45 AM
beretta neoshttp://www.pootv.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/neos.jpg

JohnKSa
September 15, 2007, 02:51 AM
I can't think of anything short of a Single action revolver.I think you nailed it. A "Cowboy Gun" is just about as inoffensive as you can get in something that will still go bang.

Probably next best is a stainless DA revolver. Shiny seems to be less threatening than black or blue.

LarryS.
September 15, 2007, 03:01 AM
Something that looks as if it just fell out of Barney Fife's holster.....:rolleyes:

Killian
September 15, 2007, 03:03 AM
For example, if you had to show a severe anti

Least offensive to an anti?
Simple. Handguns held by Communists in "Glorious People's Revolution" :barf:

CodeSlinger
September 15, 2007, 03:10 AM
Fancy engraved over-under.

gbelleh
September 15, 2007, 10:10 AM
I've taken some (former) antis to the range, and they seemed to be most comfortable starting out with my Astra Cub .25. The women found it cute and the men were not intimidated by it.

lee n. field
September 15, 2007, 10:49 AM
I can't think of anything short of a Single action revolver.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe a Ruger Bearcat.

ID_shooting
September 15, 2007, 11:04 AM
Single Action is it. A friend - loosly deffined - is anti, Micheal Moore worshiping - liberal voting - vegetarian - PETA donating -tree hugging, well you get the picture

She fears my AK will come flying out of the cabinet, screaming like a banshee and pump 30 rounds of nuclear death into her every time she comes over.

Her and my wife like to hang out and have sever giggle fits over hot guys in the movies and she like my daughter so I tolerate her. Doesn't hurt that she is good eye candy and like to dress accordingly ;) We have an agrrment that she will not discuss politics to us and I will hold the AK at bay, hehehehe. I even make her veggie meals when we grill our evil animal flesh. So I guess we tolerate each other fairly well.

Ironicly, we will go shoot pop cans with one of my single actions, even in .38 becuase that is what her dad took her shooting with as a child. Yet she cringes at the mere mention of my Glock.

alucard0822
September 15, 2007, 11:26 AM
Well the first thing to teach an anti is that as a law abiding citizen, we employ our arms in DEFENSE, and they are therefore not offensive;) I am a poor judge of what could be considered offensive to people, as I am not normally offended my inanimate machinery, but here or there.

I would probably leave my nazi marked luger home and bring the same pistol I start all the newbies on, a buckmark.

Bad Penny 03
September 15, 2007, 12:36 PM
who cares ?

rbernie
September 15, 2007, 12:41 PM
who cares ?Evidently, the OP. You don't want to help him, that's fine - but it's poor form to be stompin' on other people's threads.

For example, if you had to show a severe anti (would faint at mention of AR-15, AK47, Glock etc), what handgun would you show?

Maybe a stainless revolver. Not too long of a barrel, or it's too intimidating. Not a snubbie, because 'that's just a Saturday Night Special, donchyaknow'.

A small stainless semiauto might be OK too; their small overall size seems to make people feel less threatened.

Bad Penny 03
September 15, 2007, 01:09 PM
Evidently, the OP. You don't want to help him, that's fine - but it's poor form to be stompin' on other people's threads.

I honestly don't understand why he wants to have a PC weapon so as not to offend the sensibilities of a liberal...?
That seems akin to buying rounds with smiley faces on them.
Or a AWB compliant Weapons verses a Pre-AWB.
Cosmetic nonsense does not necessarily sway anyone or win any arguments so to speak.

As far as stompin on other peoples threads...I'm sure he's a big boy and can take my $.02

It was a legitimate question, not intended to be derisive.

Not to stir the pot, but I think it might be good form to ask for clarification rather than assuming any particular inflection in my succinct question ...

Relax.

DMZ
September 15, 2007, 01:36 PM
PPK.

Durruti
September 15, 2007, 02:03 PM
As counterintuitive as it might sound, I'd recommend the AK. A close friend of mine was absolutely terrified of guns. She came to visit a few months ago and I convinced her to head out to the range with me (after a long talk and demonstration about safety, of course). She tried a handgun first and was a little put off by the noise, recoil, and muzzle blast (this was a 9mm, incidentally). Next, she tried a K31, which didn't help much in retrospect :) Then she tried the AK. She was very pleased with how little recoil and muzzle blast there was.

One bonus is that the AK is arguably the quintessential evil gun. Get your friend to realize that it's actually not that bad and the battle is half won.

Of course, if you can't get your friend to go anywhere near it, then the other posters seem to have some good suggestions.

MCgunner
September 15, 2007, 02:12 PM
Ruger bearcat

mavracer
September 15, 2007, 02:42 PM
remmi 1863 pocket model.

wrench
September 15, 2007, 03:15 PM
A stainless Beretta Bobcat, .22LR. EVERYONE, including one of my friends who practically faints at the mention of firearms, thinks that it is cute.:rolleyes:

stormyone
September 15, 2007, 10:48 PM
Ruger Mark III 22/45

CWL
September 15, 2007, 10:52 PM
Colt Cobra w/2" barrel. Cute little fella, favorite of 1960-1970's TV Detectives like McGarret, Mannix and Cannon. I think Maxwell Smart also carried one.

Docgmt
September 15, 2007, 10:57 PM
I am thinking something that only holds water!

Average Joe
September 15, 2007, 11:35 PM
The only thing I would show a " severe anti " is the DOOR !

MPanova
September 16, 2007, 03:36 AM
http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/shoots/uzitalk2006/pics/pink%20glock.jpg

http://www.jimsgunsupply.com/DuraCoat/dc/PinkGlockAnniv._DuraCoat.jpg

http://static.zoovy.com/img/rcm1/W150-H150-Bf0f0f0/P/pink_rhinestone_gun_buckle.jpg

http://www.nrafoundation.org/friends/states/graphics/articles/VA.jpg

skinnyguy
September 16, 2007, 01:42 PM
Hmmmmm... that's a tall order. Asking people who don't find guns offensive at all to come up with a non-offensive gun.

I'd have to say, in all seriousness, a 1911 or an M-1a. I would think that those two guns saved more lives of our service members and the people they were protecting over the course of the time they were used than just about any other firearm.

MCgunner
September 16, 2007, 03:33 PM
Didn't even think about my cap and ball guns. Now, the Ruger is big and intimidating in a Colt Walker sort of way, but that little Remington .31 pocket model is pretty harmless lookin'. If you're more'n 20 feet away, it's pretty harmless, period. ROFL!

Cannonball888
September 16, 2007, 04:00 PM
A NAA mini revolver. They're just too darn cute!

Gunnerpalace
September 16, 2007, 04:20 PM
I agree a 1911 is about as neutral as you can go, I would suggest a Colt pocket gun, 1903 I believe. in nickel, .25 cal as a option too.

coelacanth
September 16, 2007, 05:09 PM
positively reeks frontier nostalgia and is small enough to be deemed "sorta' cute"

Ragnar Danneskjold
September 16, 2007, 05:32 PM
It was a legitimate question, not intended to be derisive.

You think "who cares?" is a legitimate question? Isn't the answer glaringly obvious? The OP cares, or he wouldn't have asked. I'm surprised that got by you.

Prince Yamato
September 16, 2007, 05:39 PM
I'm going to say, break the mold and show them an AK. Once you get over the, "oh my God! It's a Kalashnikov!" you can pretty much show them anything and they won't blink. Whenever I take a friend out for a "first time" gun shoot, I let them shoot my AK. It was the first gun I ever shot and I think a good gun to break-in new shooters. Not too powerful, but feels heftier than a .22. Plus, they can always brag, "the first gun I ever shot was an AK-47". If a 10-year-old Iraqi boy can shoot one, so can this first time shooter/anti.

420Stainless
September 16, 2007, 06:05 PM
S&W 317 looks pretty tame. I taught my wife, who was not an anti (but completely unfamiliar with guns at the time), to shoot with a 3 inch model. Actually that was the reason I bought it.

Ala Dan
September 16, 2007, 08:53 PM
Probably, a Daisy "Red Ryder" BB gun if I thought my company might be
intimidated by the sight of a real firearm~! However, all of my friends
and associates are "shooter's" themselves; so that isn't likely to happen.

woad_yurt
September 18, 2007, 09:59 PM
My girlfriend, forty-something and reared in TN, had never even held a gun until she met me. I showed her an old, small Iver Johnson .32 short nickel plated revolver and she thought it was cute. She went to the range w/me, loved shooting it and now she has a similar H&R in .32 long in her nightstand. She's presently on the prowl for a set of pearl grips. So, from my experience, anything that looks like it would be at home in Mae West's garter would probably sway someone, especially if that someone was a she and if she's at all swayable. Amazing girl, that one. She's become quite a good shot. Now she's like Annie Oakley with my CZ52.

WVMountainBoy
September 19, 2007, 03:50 AM
I have a very gun shy friend, she has had panic attacks at the mere mention of most of my weapons much less the sight. Though she has no issue with this old hawkins kit gun I have, its a .50 cal muzzle loader and she says it just doesn't look scary.

crankshop1000
September 19, 2007, 09:22 AM
A 642 looks pretty tame.Kinda cute actually.

Mat, not doormat
September 19, 2007, 11:39 AM
I think that the SAA is a good idea. A lot of folks who don't like modern guns because they're scary looking may have watched a lot of john wayne as a kid. Brings back fond memories of their own capgun cowboy days as well, perhaps.

~~~Mat

Seancass
September 19, 2007, 05:32 PM
http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/PP22NG.jpg

how could someone find this threatening? i also hear that if they try to shoot it they'll also wonder how any one is ever intentionally hit with the bullets.

trueblue1776
September 19, 2007, 05:41 PM
Seancass-
Is that Missy Eliot's gun?

Seancass
September 19, 2007, 06:53 PM
thats spankin new from Taurus, exactly as produced.

if it was missy's, it'd be lime green. (have you seen her Lamborghini?)

Anotherguy
September 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
I would think a lever action would seem pretty friendly even to an anti type person. Most likely something they've seen countless times on TV from a child.

230RN
September 19, 2007, 07:14 PM
Nylon 66 bolt rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Weird weird weird question...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!