Might Buy a K31 Tomorrow

PDA

Ohio Rifleman
September 15, 2007, 01:00 AM
Hi all. I'm planning a trip up to the local gun show tomorrow, and depending on finances and what I find there, I might buy a Swiss K31. I have a couple of questions, though, if I do.

What kind of brush do you use to clean the bore? I've never seen a 7.5 brush. Would a plain ol .30 cleaning brush do the job?

Where's the cheapest place to buy 7.5 ammo online? It looks to me like the imported GP11 ammo is cheaper than Wolf or Norma or Prvi Partisan.

And I think I can figure out the rest, look for matching serial numbers, clean bore, yada yada.

Oh, I also wouldn't mind some tips on decosmo-ing a K31. Do you just wipe off the metal parts with mineral spirits and put some oil on them? If that's the case, I'd probably need directions on field stripping it.

And how do you de-cosmo wood?

Thanks in advance. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Might Buy a K31 Tomorrow" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dumdum303
September 15, 2007, 02:21 AM
A .30 cal. brush works for me without any problems. While your there, you may see a Swiss cleaning kit. Its for their stg.57, but works for the K31 and is about $9 at the shows here in CA.

The GP11 seems to be about 50 cents a round just about everywhere.

My K31 had no cosmoline thankfully. Just some old grease and oil in the trigger assembly. All the ones I have seen are very clean inside and out. surplusrifle.com it a great help with disassembling the bolt, which is kinda tricky. The rifle itself is a pretty straight forward disassembly.

Hope you find one. Once you see your first grouping, you'll be glad you did.

ReadyontheRight
September 15, 2007, 02:33 AM
The GP11 ammo is worth every penny. Buy a lot.

If you have cosmoline, hopefully you still have some hot, sunny days. Leave the wood out in the sun and wipe it down often.

K31 is a fine rifle. Good luck finding one.

Spiggy
September 15, 2007, 02:42 AM
What kind of brush do you use to clean the bore? I've never seen a 7.5 brush. Would a plain ol .30 cleaning brush do the job?

Yep! in fact, when you start reloading (cheapest solution out there) you just use typical .30cal bullets!

I've seen K31 dedicated cleaning kits (complete with a pullthrough) going for about $18 at the last few SoCal gunshows

Where's the cheapest place to buy 7.5 ammo online? It looks to me like the imported GP11 ammo is cheaper than Wolf or Norma or Prvi Partisan.
this ones subject to change all over, if you get lucky, it's usually about $25-30 for a brick of 60 rounds of GP11s (which shoot the best and it isn't corrosive)

Oh, I also wouldn't mind some tips on decosmo-ing a K31. Do you just wipe off the metal parts with mineral spirits and put some oil on them? If that's the case, I'd probably need directions on field stripping it.

And how do you de-cosmo wood?

wipe out the metal parts, get a small brush and reach into the chamber, they like to leave bits of switzerland in there. be sure to check the cam(the turny thing with the spiral cut) and connector(the wonky lever thing that connects to the turny thing with the spiral cut), if there's a broken bit (VERY unlikely, but it happens) the bolt will ultimately eject into you.

Dont worry about decosmoing the wood, that's almost always unnecessary.

Fieldstripping instructions, you will need:
1. flat head screwdriver
2. a small part receptical like a bowl
3. a rag or something to keep the goo off the floor
4. a beverage of some sort

First thing you want to do is remove the magazine. It's simple, it's a box and a lever.

Next go for the bolt, look at the lever on the right hand side of the receiver and push and hold it down, you may now pull the bolt and remove it from the receiver.

To take down the bolt, you just need to pull the loop on the firing pin, turn it clockwise to the other slot, and it should pretty much fall into pieces... while we're on this step, check the cam and connector

Drink some beverage

Take the screwdriver and remove the screws holding the bands... you should be able to remove the handguard and go "WOW!" because chances are, the insides look fresh out of an arsenal

Drink some beverage

Now you want to remove the screws around the magwell, there should be 3 if I remember off the top of my head. After these guys are gone, you can lift the action and trigger guard out of the stock.

Drink some beverage

And the ending part! this is the most fun for me! get that screwdriver and aim for the buttplate of the stock, remove the top one first, then loosen the lower one, then carefully remove. If a plasticized piece of paper with information is on it, please share with us because that there is a connector between us and history. That tag should reveal information on who was the issued owner of that rifle.

Finish your beverage, clean up before the wife gets home and yells at you for making a mess

HAVE FUN!

cracked butt
September 15, 2007, 07:26 AM
If that's the case, I'd probably need directions on field stripping it.

Amazingly enough, or maybe not coincidentally at all, the flat bladed screwdriver on a swiss army knife fits all 6 screws found on a K-31 perfectly.

tbs
September 15, 2007, 08:12 AM
Everything you'll want to know about the K-31 can be found here!

http://p082.ezboard.com/btheswissriflesdotcommessageboard

DMK
September 15, 2007, 10:14 AM
This might help too (Take note of the maintenance section at the top right):

http://www.surplusrifle.com/swissk31/index.asp

Ohio Rifleman
September 15, 2007, 12:50 PM
Amazingly enough, or maybe not coincidentally at all, the flat bladed screwdriver on a swiss army knife fits all 6 screws found on a K-31 perfectly.

I doubt that's a coincidence. :neener:

Well, evidently, I can't go to the gun show today, I'll be going tomorrow, though, on Sunday. Hope I can find a K31 I can afford. Wish me luck!

Oh, and I've been prowling Gunbroker for 7.5 ammo, and found some decent deals. Like a 60 round pack of GP11 for $31.

ldp4570
September 15, 2007, 02:22 PM
K31 is one of the best deals out there. You will look long and hard for a more accurate milsurp rifle!!!! Plus it makes a great Scout rifle!

cracked butt
September 15, 2007, 03:59 PM
Even at $200 or whatever their going rate is, they are a screaming deal.

PotatoJudge
September 15, 2007, 04:52 PM
The K31 will have a yellow grease on it called Waffenmet(sp), not cosmo. It shouldn't need much cleaning at all- just the bore, chamber and bolt. I'd skip the GP11 and buy Prvi, FNM, or Wolf (whatever's cheapest) at $12ish a box. Keep the brass. You'll either reload for it someday or you can sell it.

Ohio Rifleman
September 15, 2007, 05:12 PM
Why skip the GP11? I hear it's the most accurate ammo out there for the K31 and likely the cheapest.

And, I hope I can find one for well under $200.

Spiggy
September 15, 2007, 06:15 PM
Privi/Wolf Gold is easiest to reload, which easily makes it a cheaper alternative in the long run as opposed to GP11s

Ohio Rifleman
September 15, 2007, 07:00 PM
I do see what you're saying, Spiggy. I don't reload now, but when/if I buy a K31, I will most definitely seriously look into it.

Was thinking about this to get started:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=80256805

wrc
September 15, 2007, 07:59 PM
Definitely get one. You will surprise yourself shooting it. It has excellent practical accuracy. I suspect the trigger is the key to that.

It's a .30, so any cleaning tools for that caliber will work. The Mojo rear sight is excellent if you find yourself straining with the rear leaf sight.

Stock up on the GP11. It is production match-quality ammunition, and cheap for the quality (sealed neck and primer for long-term storage). You can resize .284Win brass and use .308 bullets when reloading. I've had good results with the privi partisan ammunition, which as posters above have mentioned, is the fast track for reloading.

Check under the buttplate for the original issue-ee's name and address!

wrc
September 15, 2007, 08:27 PM
Oh, you'll want to get a bayonet. Some of them, the pioneer in particular, are over-the-top and just plain fun to own.

Ohio Rifleman
September 15, 2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I'll probably get a bayonet eventually too. But they're going for $90-$100 now! :what:

And yeah, I would love to get one with a troop tag under the buttplate, but that wouldn't be a deal maker/breaker.

cracked butt
September 15, 2007, 10:55 PM
I'd skip the wolf, prvi or whatever altogether and just buy .284 win brass for reloading. Reason being is that if you are going to pay 50-70 cents per round of factory ammo, you might as well get the best with GP-11- the other crap just doesn't compare.

dumdum303
September 15, 2007, 10:59 PM
I saw one at the gun show today with a bayonet for $285. It looked great, nice walnut stock. Also some GP11 for $30 for 60 rounds.

Arkie
September 15, 2007, 11:00 PM
Well here is the price on the GP11. My K31 loves this stuff and it's cheaper than wolf.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/GP11_7.5Swiss_FMJ_Ammunition.html

MechAg94
September 15, 2007, 11:26 PM
I would recommend getting at least a couple bricks of the GP11 ammo to at least see how well it shoots. $30 per 60 round brick is the cheapest I have seen lately.

I have shot some Privi ammo. It wasn't bad, but not quite as tight at the GP-11. The only complaint I have on my K31 is that the group sizes increase as the barrel heats up, at least for me. I have to be patient. :)

Hoppy590
September 15, 2007, 11:52 PM
sooo did you buy it?! i got my K31 at a gunshow here in MA for 180$ about 6 months ago. let us know how you do!

Ohio Rifleman
September 16, 2007, 12:41 AM
Haven't bought anything yet, Hoppy, as I couldn't get to the gun show today. I WILL be at the gun show tomorrow, however. Depending on what I find there, I might walk out with a K31. If I don't find anything there, I do have a backup plan. FGS Inc. is selling beech stock K31s for $124.50. I just prefer picking up and examining a gun before I buy it.

And I'm seriously thinking about ordering some of that GP11 from AIM, or getting it by the brick at Gubroker, depending on how finances hold out. I might want to take up reloading too... I swear, shooting is such an expensive hobby...

PS Since I know us High Roaders love pics, when I do get a K31, I'll be sure to take some of my usual crappy gun pics for you!

Hoppy590
September 16, 2007, 12:50 AM
haha sorry. i didnt expect you to resond till tommorow. i did read post # 8. dont be scared off by any butt stock damage to a k31 thats normal. if you get a choice. get the best metal you can.

Ohio Rifleman
September 16, 2007, 12:57 AM
No prob.

And yeah, that's pretty much the plan. Stock damage doesn't really effect the function of the rifle. And besides, you can always refinish a stock, but if the metal is pitted or really bad, well, then you're SOL. But, from what I hear, just about all these wonderful rifles are in excellent conditions as far as the steel is concerned.

I can't substantiate this, but I heard somewhere that if the K31 was commercially manufactured with the same materials and tolerances, it would run for about $1000. Anything to that?

ReadyontheRight
September 16, 2007, 01:44 AM
I can't substantiate this, but I heard somewhere that if the K31 was commercially manufactured with the same materials and tolerances, it would run for about $1000. Anything to that?

Just look at one and shoot one and I think you would agree.

Mine throws the brass in the same exact spot every time I eject it. To the point I can catch it in the air every time with the same hand I used to operate and close the bolt. Those are some great tolerances IMHO.

Ohio Rifleman
September 16, 2007, 01:44 PM
This trip to the gun show was a total bust. I found some nice K31s but they were all well out of my price range. They were all well over $200. I just bought some ammo and called it a day. I'll probably order one from FGS.

cracked butt
September 16, 2007, 09:36 PM
can't substantiate this, but I heard somewhere that if the K31 was commercially manufactured with the same materials and tolerances, it would run for about $1000. Anything to that?

Just to make the trigger mechanism alone would probably cost as much as a new Savage.:cool:

vector248
September 21, 2007, 12:27 AM
oh for gods sake buy a K31, bon't think twice just do it before the supply dries up! I got mine at Cabella's of all places for $120. should have bought 2 or three. I have been some amazed with that rifle, my favorite mil-surplus at the moment. of course my M39 is a close second...

vzenmn
September 21, 2007, 09:40 AM
I Traded a choped up mauser with a bad bore that I won in a bet and a $100 for mine back in April. It was not as pretty as other ones I've seen with some bluing wear, knicked up front sight hood, and a grungy looking birch stock with a crack or two. But the first five round group at a hundred yards was 1 1/2 inches. Thats about the best I have ever been able to do with my Remington 600 with the scope cranked up to 9x.
The only qurk that its had is that it is picky about the torque I put on the action and barrel band screws. When I took it apart a while back it threw a fit and put flyers all over the place. The next week I had to take it to the range with a 60rd brick of GP11 and tweak the screws back and forth an 8th of an inch at a time until I got them right were it wanted them. But still it was best c-note I ever spent.
Good luck on the hunt man.

jkingrph
September 21, 2007, 09:57 AM
oh for gods sake buy a K31, bon't think twice just do it before the supply dries up! I got mine at Cabella's of all places for $120. should have bought 2 or three. I have been some amazed with that rifle, my favorite mil-surplus at the moment. of course my M39 is a close second...

Good advice. I bought my firsst at a gunshow for $130, them got my C&R and promptly acquired 5 more while on line prices were in $70-80 range. After all everyone needs enough to make two stacks of three. I turned out the first was the prettiest of all. It has a beautiful piece of flame walnut for the stock. All shoot better than most new sporters.

Later you might want some of the other models. For some serious ammo tinkering, you might consider a Vetterli. You will have to convert to centerfire, a simple process and make brass from 348 Winchester or 8mm Lebel.

Then there is the 1896 and 1911 models, I have a 96/11 and with open sights was outshooting a guy using a Weatherby MOA with a ziess scope. I concede he had been recovering from chemo from cancer treatment, but was still shooting well.

cracked butt
September 21, 2007, 10:13 AM
Then there is the 1896 and 1911 models, I have a 96/11 and with open sights was outshooting a guy using a Weatherby MOA with a ziess scope. I concede he had been recovering from chemo from cancer treatment, but was still shooting well.

I just shot my 1911 rifle for the first time earlier this week. I was only able to put a few shots through due to mosquito infestation, but yes they are a great of a shooter and as nice to handle as everyone who has one has claimed. Definately worth every penny.

If you enjoyed reading about "Might Buy a K31 Tomorrow" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!