How has the drastic rise in ammo prices affected your shooting?

PDA

cookekdjr
September 15, 2007, 07:18 PM
Ammo prices have skyrocked in the last 3 years. It wasn't that long ago that you could by 9mm for $3.86 a box at certain stores. Now double that is a good deal. And that's just for cheap plinking ammo. Move up to top shelf defensive ammo, and the cost of our shooting hobby/lifestyle has increased dramatically in the last 3 years.
Shooters have responded in a number of ways. Shooting rimfore. Shooting 9mm over 45 or 40. And, unfortunately for many, shooting less.
I'm curious how this has affected each of us. Share your experiences.
How has the drastic rise in ammo prices affected your shooting?

If you enjoyed reading about "How has the drastic rise in ammo prices affected your shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HM2PAC
September 15, 2007, 07:37 PM
I have switched over to shooting either 22RF or reloads.

wally
September 15, 2007, 07:38 PM
I've gotten serious about reloading again. Sure do miss shooting Wolf .45ACP at $120/1000 and CCI aluminim Blazer 9mm at $80/1000. Since I'd been shooting ~2000 rounds of rimfire per month not too interested in increasing it.

--wally.

cookekdjr
September 15, 2007, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I realized right after I started the poll that I left out reloading. Everybody please forgive this obvious oversight.
-David

XD-40 Shooter
September 15, 2007, 07:53 PM
I'm currently reloading 357 mag for 12 cents/round and 40 S&W for 11 cents/round. I'm shooting more than I ever was for not a whole lot of money.:D

bugs100
September 15, 2007, 07:58 PM
I started reloading and bought 2, 22's a S&W 617 4 inch 10 shot and a Model 41.

But I'm glad I did it, I never thought that I really enjoy reloading so much and I really like both the 22's.

Black Majik
September 15, 2007, 08:02 PM
Neo: "I need .22s, LOTS of .22s."

It's funny, I shoot more .22s, but I still stock up on more 9mm and .45.

armed85
September 15, 2007, 08:03 PM
I'm buying a loading press and acessories to do my own hand loads. I'm currently shooting factory ammo for the brass.

I'm paying $0.50 per round now for .223 Rem. and $0.30 for .45 ACP ammunition. I plan to bring that price down to $0.20 for .223 Rem. and $0.15 for .45 ACP.

The way I figure it for .223 Rem:

$460 (includes shipping and tax) for a RCBS Rock Chucker reloading kit, dies and shell holders, case tumbler, brass cleaning media, and calipers.

$344 (includes shipping and tax) for 2,000 Hornady 55 gr. FMJ Boat Tail Bullets, 2,000 CCI small rifle primers, and 8 lbs. of powder.

A total of $804.

This compares to 2,000 rounds of Federal or Remington 55 gr. FMJ at $972.

This gives me 2,000 rounds of .223 Remington for $168 less than I would have paid for factory ammo. Now I'm not going to buy that many bullets of the same type. I'll mix it up with some Nosler Competition or Serria Match Kings 69 gr. and 77 gr. bullets.

$0.15 to $0.20 is still pretty expensive, so I will be shooting less now than before the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Chris Rhines
September 15, 2007, 08:12 PM
Not at all. I actually shot more this year than last.

I buy very little factory ammo. I load 9mm for under a dime a round, premium .223 for under 0.20c/round.

- Chris

BridgeWalker
September 15, 2007, 08:19 PM
I'm currently on the lookout to buy a rimfire revolver and rifle. I have no self-control when it comes to calling it quits at the range and I spent way, way too much on shotshells.

Regolith
September 15, 2007, 08:40 PM
Honestly....I haven't noticed a change in ammo prices here. 100 rounds of 12 gauge is still the same, 550 of .22 is still the same....but then, those are the only two calibers I'm buying for right now.

skinnyguy
September 15, 2007, 09:38 PM
I haven't gone out shooting in months. Ammo prices are the very reason why.

fletcher
September 15, 2007, 09:43 PM
I switched from a .45 1911 to 9mm to upgrade and reduce the cost of ammo in the same purchase.

BikerRN
September 15, 2007, 11:29 PM
My main cartridges are 45 ACP, 357 Magnum and 38 SPL.

When ammo was cheap I was shooting a lot of 9mm. Now I barely shoot 9mm and have a "stockpile" from two years ago. I shoot about twice a month. I keep about 1000 rounds of each caliber in the gun room.

Biker

MaterDei
September 15, 2007, 11:44 PM
How has it affected my shooting? I costs more now. :)

About half of what I shoot are reloads (not counting 22)

M2 Carbine
September 16, 2007, 12:05 AM
Double Post

M2 Carbine
September 16, 2007, 12:07 AM
Almost everything I shoot is my reloads.
For some years to come I'll still be shooting reloaded pistol ammo that will cost me about $3 a box and such as 9mm WWB for $4.50 a box.

The same with rifle ammo.

At todays prices I'm not likely to buy any factory ammo, except 22LR, for some time to come.

What ammo cost increase?:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/45incans.jpg

BryanP
September 16, 2007, 12:23 AM
A mix of your options. I shoot more rimfire and less center fire, but I still shoot the same center fire rounds (.45, 9mm, .357, .38, .223, .303)

golden
September 16, 2007, 12:36 AM
I usually buy my practice ammo at WALMART, so it has not effected me very much. Also, I have some left over +p+ ammo from my days in MIAMI which I am burning up now.

You can save a fair amount by going to the gun show and buying from one of the regional ammo makers like GEORGIA ARMS. I bought 500 rounds of .40 caliber practice ammo for $102.00.

Jim

StrikeEagle
September 16, 2007, 04:46 AM
I shoot multiple times a week, and I don't remember the last round of commercial, factory centerfire ammo I fired.

With me it's all my own reloads, rimfire, and occasionally, some very inexpensive surplus.

Peter M. Eick
September 16, 2007, 08:11 AM
As a reloader it costs a bit more, but not enough to make any difference to me yet. I have started shooting more straight lead bullets then jhp's or fmj's though.

Deanimator
September 16, 2007, 11:59 AM
I reload. Hasn't affected me.

MCgunner
September 16, 2007, 12:46 PM
My lead (bullets) is still free (with a little casting involved) and primers and powder don't cost all that much. It still costs me less that 2 dollars a box (less the occasional brass purchase) of fifty, even .45 Colt, and I always have a supply of the same proven accurate, effective bullets. If I had to pay for factory ammo, I'd quit shooting centerfires a LONG, LONG time ago. If you're too lazy to reload, stop complaining and grab your wallet.

Nil
September 16, 2007, 12:56 PM
I bought a .22 pistol and rifle. Turns out I don't enjoy shooting them all that much.

Now once I relocate in approximately 2-3 weeks, I'm buying a Lee turret press so I can shoot my centerfires at a much cheaper price.

Black Adder LXX
September 16, 2007, 01:00 PM
I'm buying a loading press and acessories to do my own hand loads. I'm currently shooting factory ammo for the brass.

I have a press and am studying up to start reloading and am collecting brass from factory as I'm getting ready. I shoot a lot more 22 now, and less centerfire per outing...

Ala Dan
September 16, 2007, 04:31 PM
as I handload~! Even the cost of components has risen sharply over the last
two years; but I still shoot, sucking up the cost~! :eek:;):D

JohnBT
September 16, 2007, 04:57 PM
No change.

I'm still buying ammo right and left when the price is right, but haven't been shooting as much this year while I've been getting my parents moved moved into assisted living, nursing, etc. Everytime I think things are settling down a bit something happens - broken hip, thyroid surgery, something.

I hope this will change soon since I sold their house last Friday. Finally, only took 4 months to move it.

Maybe I should sink the proceeds into ammo and just tell my father I put it all into CDs for them. Just kidding, where would I put a few hundred thousand worth of ammo?

John

kjeff50cal
September 16, 2007, 10:25 PM
Call me kjeff9mmcal;)

Bartkowski
September 16, 2007, 10:38 PM
I shoot lots of .22lr, cheap, still fun, can do it all day, and won't hurt your wallet or shoulder.

wayneinFL
September 16, 2007, 11:19 PM
I had gotten away from casting before the ammo price went up,but, I'm getting back into it again. I picked up a bucket of wheelweights a couple of days ago, and have a pile of ingots on the bench.

nero45acp
September 17, 2007, 03:18 AM
I bought a Beretta 87 Cheetah, a 72 Jaguar, and two 76s, a Winchester 9422 Trapper, a S&W 34-1 and 18-4, a Astra Constable, and a High Standard Sport King. Of course with what I paid for all these rimfires I could've bought lots and lots of centerfire ammo....

nero22LR

Obiwan
September 17, 2007, 12:24 PM
I have pretty big stocks of my major calibers

But I tend to shoot my AK's more and my AR's less

And I am shooting 9mm much more then .45

I may get another .22 pistol

aka108
September 17, 2007, 05:55 PM
Been reloading for years and stockpiled a large number of bullets. Generally bought powder 32 lbs at time and primers by the 5,000 case. Components have gone up some but not enough to curtail activity.

Killa14
September 17, 2007, 06:26 PM
The increase in the cost of ammo has inspired me to invest in reload equipment thereby causeing me to learn more about the amunition I shoot

if they give u lemons make lemonaid

zxcvbob
September 20, 2007, 11:14 PM
I'm not happy about the increase in .22 rimfire ammo because I shoot in a bullseye league and go thru a lot of it; still, .22 is cheap so it hasn't really affected how much I shoot. I probably spend more on the gas to drive out to the range than I do on .22LR ammo.

I reload centerfire pistol calibers, and because bullets have gotten expensive I've started casting my own .358 and .452 bullets. That's a satisfying hobby all its own. I load very few jacketed bullets. I have a huge stockpile of 9mm cast bullets already that I bought right before the big price increase; when they run out I'll start casting that size too. .312 cast pistol bullets are still cheap enough that I buy that size.

The cost of gunpowder has delayed me getting into rifle reloading, but pretty soon I'm gonna start loading a little for .30-06 because I have everything but the powder already.

Bob

jungleroy
September 21, 2007, 02:18 AM
I reload for most everything now.
The increase in component costs has me thinking of buying a few more lead slug molds. Also this week I went out and got 10K more primers.
Thats about it.

BobMcG
September 21, 2007, 12:46 PM
Although I have both used and stored plenty of "affordable" bulk ammo, and handload for thirteen of the fifteen different center-fire calibers and three of the four gauges I own, I still find myself in the second category. As well as loaded ammo, I don't see the cost of handloading getting any cheaper either.

P. Plainsman
September 21, 2007, 12:54 PM
I voted choice #3. In the past year, my shooting volume has definitely shifted from more expensive (.357; .44) to less expensive (9mm) calibers. Price is a big factor.

My CZ 9mm pistols and my S&W .22 revolver now get the most range time and the most rounds.

However, since I got a Ruger SP101 a couple months ago my .357 consumption has begun to move back up. That's a great little gun.

I need to start reloading.

Bazooka Joe71
September 21, 2007, 02:57 PM
Hasn't changed my shooting patterns too much....Although I do find myself shooting my .22's a bit more.:)

FieroCDSP
September 21, 2007, 03:18 PM
I'm looking at lead bullets more for my reloads, but other than that, not really.

KI.W.
September 21, 2007, 03:29 PM
I am reloading 14 calibers. Facktory cartridges only .22LR and 12-70. My 9mm luger takes aboat $ 16 /100.

MinnMooney
September 21, 2007, 03:29 PM
I bought reloading equipment a year ago and reload all of my rifle ammo (3000 rounds so far with a single stage press). I still buy factory handgun ammo but shoot less often and fewer rounds each time.
I'll buy a progressive when I think that I'm ready and then ALL of my ammo will be reloads.

sm
September 21, 2007, 03:47 PM
How has the drastic rise in ammo prices affected your shooting habits?

But I do have another excuse reason for when I shoot poorly; thank you for a neat new line to use.
:)

The Law
September 21, 2007, 04:07 PM
Reloading is the only way I can do it.

rxraptor02
September 21, 2007, 05:45 PM
I stopped going to the range for a while. I don't go that much but i used to go once or twice a week. Now I only go twice a month or so.

When I went, I was shooting: 9mm, 38/357mag, 45acp.

I just got two .22's One single six and a MKIII -hunter. Now if I can get to the range I plan to shoot a lot more since both rugers fire the federal bulk ammo without issues. 10.97 for 550 rounds of plinking bliss cannot be beat. I still plan to shoot my other guns to keep up practice with them but the excessive shooting will be placed to the .22's

ghostdoc
September 22, 2007, 01:59 AM
2 words Jonathan Ciener

1911 conversion kit. :D

Bear41mag
September 22, 2007, 05:47 PM
I have been reloading and casting my own bullets for over twenty years.
Cannot remember the last time I shot store bought ammo.

I do make it a habit to buy a brick of .22's every payday (twice a month). Have about 20,000 rounds on hand at any given time.

I buy my powder and primers from my local gun club once a year when they put in the clubs mega order and usually end up with primers and powder to last all year with a comfortable reserve, plus I get the quanity price break. All the guys I shoot with at the club and the hospital I work for, saves me any lead they accumulate so I am good to go. Have approximatly 1.5 ton of lead in my garage at the present time.
Sure hope I don't have to move anytime soon.

g.willikers
September 22, 2007, 06:06 PM
Reloading all centerfire, about a ratio of 3:1 rimfire to centerfire at the range, and more airguns at home.
Still stay reasonably sharp at less cost.

shooter429
September 22, 2007, 11:58 PM
I went out and spent a few bucks on an inexpensive .22-and boy am I glad that I did. Not just for the savings, but for the amount of good practice I gt in every week now. Also, I reload. When going outside, I use cast bullet load sin the .44. When inside I buy cheap jacketed bullets and load them up.

Shooter429

yesit'sloaded
September 23, 2007, 02:16 PM
My shooting is the same, however Ramen noodles are now a food group for me. Did you know that a pack of ramen noodles ($.15) costs less than a .38 bullet
($10/50=$.20). That means that a box of .38s could feed me for 66 days.

foghornl
September 24, 2007, 11:20 AM
I don't "roll my own" ammo, so my .22 Rimfires get a lot more work than they used to.

doubleg
September 24, 2007, 11:24 AM
I shoot just as much, but now I complain more.

candr44
September 24, 2007, 06:21 PM
I shoot the same amount and still buy in 1000 round bulk cases. The only difference is I now collect brass and look at reloading presses for Christmas.

skeeter1
September 24, 2007, 08:32 PM
I've always enjoyed shooting my rimfires, and I see no reason to change that. I just saw an ad from Dick's sporting goods that they still have Remington thunderbolts for $10/brick. Yes, my favorite CCI Velocitors are up to $48/brick, but I don't mind shooting the cheap stuff at the range.

.38s and .357s I can still reload for about $0.20/rd, so that's not too hard to take.

I feel sorry for the people with .223s. Not only has it gotten expensive, in some places it's getting just downright difficult to even find.

deputy tom
September 25, 2007, 08:17 AM
I have rediscovered the joy of shooting .22s. tom.:cool:

texgunner
September 25, 2007, 08:35 AM
You should have included reloading on your poll. I started back in January and some others appear to have done the same.

Tex

silverlance
September 25, 2007, 12:27 PM
I put snap caps in my guns and use my imagination. To stimulate the recoil of my FAL I have my friend punch me in the shoulder each time I go, "BANG!". ;)

my situation is even worse than most of you guys. not only is ammo very expensive in CA, I am not even allowed to shoot my big stash of surplus anymore due to forest fire danger. Any magnetic bullets are a no no in CA for the indefinite future. On top of that, WOLF has recently gone back to using copper washed steel jackets in their ammo... so now I can't shoot WOLF or surplus. sigh*

I'm working on setting up for reloading with a lot of help from THR people (thanks), but it will take some time. The only reason that I'm not entirely bummed out is that I bought a winchester 1000 air rifle a little while back and it has given me a lot of good practice in the back yard. i highly recommend that one, by the way. the report is not loud enough to get the PO's attention and at near 1000fps it will give close performance to a 22lr in terms of plinking - although it wont penetrate half as well.

Dr. Peter Venkman
September 25, 2007, 04:40 PM
Not shooting nearly as much thanks to surplus ammunition prices.

You guys have to buy buy buy! Not a whole lot of surplus ammunition left to shoot! Buy Buy Buy Buy! :rolleyes:

Hey silverlance, You have a PM about your ammunition.

Mikehos
September 25, 2007, 04:59 PM
I have added two new 22lr guns to the safe to help ease the pain. As long as I get the chance to pull the trigger often I am happy. I still sneak in a box of 9 or 40 also just to remenber what it's like.

ninja45
September 25, 2007, 05:23 PM
Even as a reloaded, I feel the price increase on components is putting a crimp (pun not intended) on my shooting habits. Although I did not change my usual calibers, I now shoot less ammo on the more expensive ones (.44 Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt)

GaryM
September 27, 2007, 01:44 PM
I have taken up bullet casting to help out. Now I can pop off rounds including .357 mag, .44 mag and even .500 mag for less than 10 cents a shot.
Of course my .223/.308 and 30.06 rifles are collecting dust.

tasco 74
September 27, 2007, 03:40 PM
hasn't changed a bit as all my centerfire is reloaded by me and i shoot my 1022 custom and air rifles more.. i was worried about the prices of ammo going a couple of years ago when the iraq thing started so i started stocking up on .22 lr ammo.. i now have 12-13 550 boxes of my baby's favorite ammo.. when it gets real cold out i'll take the scope off the rws mod 34 and put the aperture sights back on so i can shoot in the basement into the trap.. :cool:

Claude Clay
September 27, 2007, 03:59 PM
except for 22 & 32acp i reload 11 pistol & 3 rifle calibers. plinking ammo & my mosins & yugo's & scattergun's eat whatever i can find in bulk on sale. the mosin is incredably accurate with 50+year old ammo & the sks is rather a lot of fun--kinda like the ruger ranch but with a fancy letter-opener on the pointy end. my daughter & i go through more than 2 bricks of .22 a month: 45acp, i shoot about 600+ of mine ( love my Kimber). my daughters boyfriend & my ex-45 are about 300 per month. he is compentant on the sq-D & will probably have his own ( or my old) reloading set up by end-of-year.

If you enjoyed reading about "How has the drastic rise in ammo prices affected your shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!