Black rifle bug

PDA

Dustinthewind
September 15, 2007, 11:25 PM
I picked up a DPMS AR lower today, now I am searching for parts kits to finish it. I am wanting to build a 16" CAR. Model 1 sales and Sarco inc seem to have the best deals so far. Has anyone had any experience with either of these companies? I was also wandering about the advantages of the chrome lined bore. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dustin

If you enjoyed reading about "Black rifle bug" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
September 15, 2007, 11:30 PM
I'm with you brother. I bought a Stag lower last weekend and am learning as well. It's funny, I was in the Army for 11 years and know more in a week about the internals of this rifle now than I ever did before. :)

I'm not familiar with those companies but del-ton.com seems to be highly recommended as well. The chrome lined bore is, I believe, preferred if you will be shooting a lot of rounds quickly, protects better against the heat. That's what I've been told on the errornet at least.

Minator
September 15, 2007, 11:56 PM
Go to www.ar15.com, After I went there all my questions were answerd and I ended up building 7 AR's.

Also theyll have a more in depth answer to your questions on about a chrome lined vs not but it mostly about being easier to clean and not fouling as quick as a non lined.

jpwilly
September 16, 2007, 12:36 AM
www.colemantyler.com

Onmilo
September 16, 2007, 12:44 AM
Model 1 and Sarco are cheap, no doubt.
You will get what you pay for.

Go here:
http://www.brownells.com

You can buy an L&R A2 upper for $90
This is the same upper DPMS uses only $25 bucks cheaper.
A DPMS non chromed 20" barrel for $140
A DPMS non chromed 16" M4 profile barrel for $180
An EGW flattop upper for about $105
A DPMS Bolt/Carrier kit for $110

Double Star chrome lined 16" barrel at about $250
Rest of the small parts, the sky is the limit.
I move between High Standard and DPMS with some overpriced Colt parts tossed in because I can expect a high quality part for the extra money.
Have your NRA member card handy to get the discount pricing.

Brownells also carries all the right tools to do the job right the first time.
You may understand this line of experienced thinking when you go cheap and start experiencing misfeeds, torn case rims, broken bolts, and other annoying problems that crop up when bottom of the barrel parts are used.

RockyMtnTactical
September 16, 2007, 12:04 PM
I've had bad experiences with Model 1. I would avoid them. Not to mention, they void your warranty if you shoot steel cased ammo. One of the ways to know if you have a cheap AR, is if it can handle steel cased ammo.

GunTech
September 16, 2007, 12:10 PM
I don't care for Sarco. I've had them cash my check, then backorder the parts. In some cases it's taken over 6 months.

Brownells is great to deal with. Check around, and you may know someone with a dealers account, which makes buying from Brownells that much sweeter.

cheaptrick
September 16, 2007, 12:26 PM
http://www.rainierarms.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "Black rifle bug" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!