Mini-14 magazines

PDA

armoredman
September 16, 2007, 12:54 AM
Are there any aftermarket 20-30 round magazines that function with a Mini-14?Is there a common fix that works with the aftermarkets that sort of work? The factory mags are quite high at $50 each.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mini-14 magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lee n. field
September 16, 2007, 09:51 AM
Back when I had a Mini-14, I had no problem with Pro Mag polymer magazines (and minimal problems with Pro Mag steel).

salty
September 16, 2007, 10:02 AM
I am not sure I want to bet my life on a jury rigged mag - the factory mags are only $40-50 now - they were up to $100 in the AWB days if you could find one. New line of Pro-mags are the best bet if you want one for practice use.

armoredman
September 16, 2007, 11:08 AM
"Only" $50 is high at my pay scale. I was looking for some at the $20 mark. Buying 12 magazines for what the rifle costs seems a little ridiculous to me.:uhoh::banghead:
ProMag themomolded? I think CDNN or CTD have some of those, couldn't hurt to try one.

funfaler
September 16, 2007, 11:40 AM
Mason Black Warrior mags have a good reputation at a good price.

I have some, look much better than the USA mags that I have. I have not tried them yet, but the USA mags are worthless.

Give the Black Warrior mags a try and report back, many have said they are as good or better than Ruger mags. They make 20 and 30 round ones.

armoredman
September 16, 2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks,Evan Marshall said the same thing, and I found johnmasen.com has them for under $15 each for the 20 rounders. I will definately give them a shot on payday. Cool!:cool:

September 16, 2007, 04:34 PM
I've had good luck with the steel ProMags after I filed down the lip for the magazine catch. They wouldn't seat easily as received.

308win
September 16, 2007, 04:37 PM
Opps double post

308win
September 16, 2007, 04:38 PM
The Masen mags are good value. If you get one that doesn't feed right or doesn't lockup send it back with a note and they will replace. Good people.

Thin Black Line
September 16, 2007, 05:10 PM
Outside of the Ruger fac mags I had a few early ram-line plastic mags that
fed flawlessly but would not always hold the bolt open. These also worked
in the AR15.

lee n. field
September 16, 2007, 07:28 PM
but would not always hold the bolt open.

Big problem with aftermarket Mini magazines. It depends on how high the hold-open thingee on the magazine follower stands -- if it's high enough to actuate the hold open or not.

I fixed a few by installing Ruger followers, a few with a Dremmel on the follower. Promags worked.

Tomac
September 17, 2007, 09:26 AM
Another vote for the ProMag polymers. However, they only hold 29rds securely as when loaded w/30 a slight bump will cause the first round to dislodge and they need a bit of wear-in.
Tomac

NC-Mike
September 17, 2007, 09:43 AM
If you an find some Precision Mag Industry magazines, they will work just as good as Ruger Factory magazines but you are likely in for a huge headache trying to get aftermarket mags to work.

I have 4 Ruger factory mags and 4 PMI mags and I paid a little over 300.00 for those 8 magazines. After jerking around with Promag, Thermold and a few others, I just bit the bullet and started buying the ones that work. Never had a mis-feed with the Factory or the PMI. YMMV.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mini-14 magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!