How close is your weapon

PDA

Okiecruffler
July 8, 2003, 06:28 PM
Late last night I was sitting at the computer when I heard the distinct sound of something rumaging around in my carport. I garbbed my pistol from the desk top and went to investigate. Turned out it was the new stray cat poking around my birdseed sacks for mice, so no harm done. But it made me wonder, how many of you, sitting right where you are now, can grab a weapon? With the growing rate of home invasions, maybe I've become alittle paranoid, but I'm just not comfortable without mine right by my side.

If you enjoyed reading about "How close is your weapon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cordex
July 8, 2003, 06:30 PM
Me.
Right next to the phone partially covered with maps. I can see and grab it, but a visitor would be less likely to notice it (my coworkers woudn't care ...).

Monkeyleg
July 8, 2003, 06:31 PM
It's either in a holster on my person, or in a holster sitting on my computer table. My wife thinks it looks funny to be washing dishes while wearing a gun, but it would look funnier trying to scramble up the stairs to the safe if something happened.

RandyB
July 8, 2003, 06:37 PM
I have one in my pocket and one in my briefcase at my feet. At home the 870 is under the bed (in a safe that is locked during the day). I tend to carry at home when out in the yard and generally have a .22/.410 with me due to a recent vermin infestation.

Kharn
July 8, 2003, 06:40 PM
5' to my desk drawer with 2 1911s, 10' (but in another room) for the safe.

Kharn

spacemanspiff
July 8, 2003, 06:44 PM
i've failed a couple of times to get the gun secured in my room before i go to bed. i wind up leaving it on the table where i watch tv.
i kick myself every time i forget it there, but should the need arise, the winchester 1300 sits behind the bedroom door.

geekWithA.45
July 8, 2003, 06:47 PM
When I'm not carrying,

It's less than 5 very exciting seconds from where I spend the bulk of the day, and less than 2 seconds from where I sleep.

TallPine
July 8, 2003, 06:57 PM
On my right hip ..... you feel lucky punk? :neener:

Work at home so I carry whenever I am wearing pants :D

MJRW
July 8, 2003, 07:01 PM
Like I'm going to tell you...now where's my tinfoil hat.

winstonsmith
July 8, 2003, 07:04 PM
Within reach of my right arm, hanging on my wall. My hatchet, that is. Hidden from the doorway and from almost 300 degrees from sight.

Hkmp5sd
July 8, 2003, 07:41 PM
Five inches from my mouse is a stainless Ruger GP100 and a stainless S&W 5906. There is a Glock 17 about 3 feet behind me. There is a Remington 870 and Ruger Mini-14 about 20 feet in front of me.

Hopefully, that will last me until I can get the safe open. :)

Desert Dog
July 8, 2003, 08:02 PM
Right now it is 3.5 miles away in my safe... :uhoh:

Unfortunately, the company I work for has a dim view of 'personal protection' on-site... :banghead:

When I am home though, the .45 is within reach at ANY time... :D

Mike

Ringer
July 8, 2003, 08:12 PM
For me, not all that close, at least not a firearm. At the moment I am in my living room. Long guns are locked in a closet downstairs. Closest loaded gun (two handguns) is locked in a safe in my bedroom down the hallway. Safe is unlocked when I go to bed, other than that guns remain locked up due to children in the home. I have been considering "carrying" around the house but haven't so far.

TheeBadOne
July 8, 2003, 08:17 PM
On me or within 10-12 ft (most times).

sm
July 8, 2003, 08:21 PM
One on my hip, another next to the laptop (where a mouse pad would be). See - there is a good reason to use a "trackball". :D

HankL
July 8, 2003, 08:36 PM
Very good question. :)

bad_dad_brad
July 8, 2003, 08:37 PM
I have several located in hide in plain sight locations in my house. I always have a handgun right next to me. Shotgun in the bedroom. Sometimes a rifle with me.

If you can only afford one gun for the house, get a good quality handgun that you like and keep it with you near always.

But I live alone and have the luxury of doing this. Obviously if you have little kids around, you can't really do this.

brian0128
July 8, 2003, 08:49 PM
Outside of the house I always have one, in the house I have one in the living room, kitchen, dining room, and bedroom. Never more than 15 feet from one in the house.

Mannlicher
July 8, 2003, 09:02 PM
on me, or next to me. I have others in various places around the house.

Edward429451
July 8, 2003, 09:20 PM
(sound of velcro being seperated)...thunk.

Ahh. On the puter desk in front of me:D long day.

Standing Wolf
July 8, 2003, 09:23 PM
I have a .357 magnum revolver between seven and eight feed from my right hand.

cool45auto
July 8, 2003, 09:42 PM
On the table next to my recliner, about six feet from me right now.

Bainx
July 8, 2003, 10:10 PM
Glock 30 IWB or P32 in pocket at all times at home. 870 and Romanian 22 propped up in corner behind me. Due to kid factor, weapons on me only are loaded while it takes some time to obtain ammo and ready the others.

Darrin
July 8, 2003, 10:15 PM
...now where's my tinfoil hat Wanna be cheap? Check out the link in my sig. :neener: :evil:

edit: Oh, yeah, the topic at hand... Right now, I have my mossy 590, 9mm and P22 all within reach. Don't mess with a geek at his/her computer! :D

Zeke Menuar
July 8, 2003, 10:17 PM
Exactly 3 feet away from me as I type. When at home, my LW Commander it no more than 5-6 feet away from me.

ZM

mgjohn
July 8, 2003, 10:45 PM
One on my belt in an IWB rig and several more in easy reach.

GSMD Fan
July 8, 2003, 10:46 PM
A 92G on my hip.

But as I am at my desk a 4in MDL66 in the drawer.

That should buy me some time to get to the Mossberg.

Of course once the safe is open...

mephisto
July 8, 2003, 10:57 PM
.303 with a 16" bayo on the wall over my head in computer room. 5 round striper clip sitting on cd rack next to it. 12 gauge under bed with 2 rounds in tube mag(00 buck). a steyr m9 in the safe with hydro-shock(10+1) ready to go.

michiganfan
July 8, 2003, 11:01 PM
As I type this my 357 Steyr is on my left hip.

M2 Carbine
July 8, 2003, 11:21 PM
Kimber Tatical Ultra, S&W Mod 60 (CT laser), S&W Mod 10 (CT laser), Kel Tec 32, 2 Beretta 22's within 3 feet.

12 ga within 5 foot.

A couple dozen more within 20 foot.

I'm not paranoid, I can't get any more in the safes.
(Well, maybe I am paranoid, they are all loaded):)

SkunkApe
July 9, 2003, 12:16 AM
I have six Bakail 12-gauge side-by-sides mounted on tripods in a 345-degree arc around me. The first barrel of each is double-ought, the second's a slug. A string on each trigger leads to a lever mounted next to my keyboard.

In addition to that, I wear a Glock 17 (pre-ban mags) on each hip at all times, except when Im the shower, when I switch to pair of stainless .357s.

I also have a trap door with a tarantula pit in my foyer.

And I'm wearing a Speedo.

St. Gunner
July 9, 2003, 12:36 AM
Uh a rem870 20gauge loaded with #3 buck is leaning against the computer desk but only cause I have been stalking goat chasing dogs in the last couple minutes. The Taurus .357 is right on the counter, and less than an arms reach away in the safe is everything else, including the SAR1 with the 40rd mag in case the Chinese mount a sneak attack and I have to repel a frontal.:D :rolleyes:

I used to use a .22 to shoot rampagin dogs, but switched to the shottie cause that way maybe the neighbors realize Toto didn't just run off with Dorthy to Oz, so maybe TotoII will be kept in the yard instead of being turned loose to rampage.

Neal Bloom
July 9, 2003, 12:42 AM
Within reach as I type this. Very few places in the house where I cannot get to a gun quickly.

keyhole
July 9, 2003, 12:44 AM
skunkape===

ya have me worried :what:

Mine are usually close, and of course I carry when working.

QuarterBoreGunner
July 9, 2003, 12:46 AM
Ok...SkunkApe wins.

And what a grand picture he paints with words.

No I have to go open my the top of my skull and get in there with a melon baller to remove the part of my brain that has that picture in it.

'cause all the high speed low drag guys KNOW that it's alligators all the way...

tarantulas. I mean really...

Darrin
July 9, 2003, 01:02 AM
And I'm wearing a Speedo. Dad? That you? :confused:

10-Ring
July 9, 2003, 01:08 AM
I have 2 pistols w/in arms length :D and a 12 ga. shotgun 5 paces from there :cool:

Graystar
July 9, 2003, 01:20 AM
One is 6 inches away, another is 2 feet away.

Bowlcut
July 9, 2003, 01:34 AM
hmmm im not too well off at the moment. desk chair is hard to get out of, so would be SOL if anything happened cause its not at arms length at the momnet. if i have the doors open tho its always on my sub which is arms reach...be it weak hand tho. the pistol is in the bedstand . hipoint carbine by the door....rest put up....so maybe i need to get the pistol closer

cosmos7
July 9, 2003, 01:55 AM
When I'm at home - on me.

When I'm in bed (now) - under the pillow.

When I'm out - unfortunately left at home. Still fighting my sheriff for CCW... :(

BB93YJ
July 9, 2003, 02:08 AM
I keep bumping into the .45 Commander with my mouse as I sit here. It's never much farther than that, at night's under my side of the bed. 12 ga. in the closet 10 ft. away. AR takes a bit more time to get to, but is on ready alert....45-70 1885 Highwall vernier tang sighted redneck sniper rifle, in secure storage for when the injuns, or the towelheads decide to mount a raid on mi casa. ;)

voilsb
July 9, 2003, 02:12 AM
It's touching my lower back around the 4:00 - 4:30 position right now.

Giant
July 9, 2003, 03:12 AM
1911A1 .45 next to my right hand, ten round mag. Mossberg 500 20ga short 18 inch barrel loaded with number three buck under the edge of my bed.

There have been plenty of home invasions locally and I don't intend to be caught short, as it were.

Giant

duckfoot
July 9, 2003, 07:19 AM
close enough to make to take care of business

Zach S
July 9, 2003, 09:31 AM
My M85 is 10 feet away, all the guns I like are in the other end of the house, locked up under my bed...

CZ 75 BD
July 9, 2003, 09:38 AM
It is always on me or right beside me.

M2 Carbine
July 9, 2003, 10:19 AM
SkunkApe

Two or three Claymore Mines would take up less space and do a better job than the shotguns and you could wire them into the Delete key:D

Don't close the shower curtain when taking a shower. Someone might take you out with a knife.;)

A Claymore on the front gate is a good idea to.
Trouble is the Postman won't deliver anymore.
The up side is I don't get any junk mail:)

Got to go!
Damned Black helicopter is landing on the roof again.:cuss:

RustyHammer
July 9, 2003, 12:20 PM
It's within arms reach of me right now, along with two extra mags, a knife, cell phone and flashlight. (I'm at work. )

In my truck I have this, plus a few more "options" available.

At home, well, depends upon which part of the house I'm in.

Lock and Load.

Rusty

joeislove
July 9, 2003, 12:32 PM
I'm sitting around in my boxer shorts now, so it's on the desk in front of me, in its Galco IWB holster. When I put on pants, it goes on my person and stays there till I either take off my pants, or I have to go in someplace where I'm not allowed to carry (post office, restaurant that serves alcohol, etc.)

RustyHammer
July 9, 2003, 01:09 PM
I'm sitting around in my boxer shorts now, .... Location: The Love Compound

Sort of make one go: "Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

:what: :rolleyes: :neener:

Hemicuda
July 9, 2003, 01:14 PM
I got one right here on the table... easily within reach... don't most of us?

Okiecruffler
July 9, 2003, 03:21 PM
But apparently they are out to get all of you too. But why? Makes me wonder if you can be trusted.:scrutiny:

Hardtarget
July 9, 2003, 09:43 PM
:scrutiny: they're out there...watching and waiting...so I keep one on me all the time. East Nashville is always "busy"...and the bad guys drive cars. That means crime can and will happen anytime, anywhere. Besides the one I'm wearing there are others...just laying around like the cats...waiting for something to happen. :scrutiny: watch your six.
Mark. :scrutiny:

Hillman
July 9, 2003, 10:11 PM
Well, I've been laid off since March. Which means I'm home during the day most days. Seems like I recall a statistic that says most home break-ins occur during the day. Wearing a J and my 9mm is readily available.

Graystar
July 9, 2003, 10:36 PM
skunkape, you're so silly! You can wear your Glocks in the shower! :p

Logistar
July 10, 2003, 01:52 AM
24 hours ago I would have told you that my home gun was at arms length from me on the nightstand and I was "ready" for any problem.

I went to bed last night at 1:22 (I looked at the clock). At approximately 1:30am a BRILLIANT light illuminated my hallway to the bedroom. -There are no windows that would allow that and the windows in the living room (the only way for light to get in) had the blinds closed. - therefore I decided the light (like one of those hi-power beam flashlights) MUST be originating in the living room. - I live alone!

I grabbed for my gun. It was on the nightstand but I had moved it back to make room for a radio and while trying to grab it and keep my eyes on the hall I fumbled and fumbled. I just imagined a BG walking in and saying "What's wrong? Can't find your gun?" The light went out. -Finally I got it checked out the house. - NOTHING was found.

The source of that light still still baffles me. I wanted to say that under stress I was NOT able to retrieve my weapon quickly enough. If a BG had walked straight back here he would have seen me grappling for my gun or seen me with my back turned toward him as grappled for the gun.
I always assumed that I would "hear a noise" that would warn me of an intrusion and I'd have plenty of time to get my gun and get "ready". I was WRONG. Very WRONG.

Do me a favor guys, and make SURE you can access your firearm quickly. Don't depend on a BG giving plenty of time to prepare. And when you panic, accessing that gun 3.5 feet from you can be more difficult that you think.

FWIW
Logistar

Duncan Idaho
July 10, 2003, 03:19 AM
How close is your weaponIt's right between my ears. The tools that I use are scattered all about me.

Ala Dan
July 10, 2003, 06:08 AM
Greeting's All-

My weapon of choice is VERY CLOSE; so if I need
to "rock N' roll", it will be ready!:uhoh: :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

ACP
July 10, 2003, 07:59 AM
As I sit at my desk my fingertips are 9 inches from the edge of my pocket...

Jack19
July 10, 2003, 01:28 PM
I'm at work, Glock is on my hip, AR is 9 ft. away, AK is in the trunk of the car (going shooting after work, usually it's at home) 75 yds away.

WT
July 10, 2003, 02:24 PM
From my mouse? 8-3/4 inches.

If you enjoyed reading about "How close is your weapon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!