Finding grips for S&W 1905 .38spl?


September 16, 2007, 07:20 PM
Where can one obtain either original grips or reasonable reproductions (not oversized) for a Model of 1905 K frame in .38 spl?

If you enjoyed reading about "Finding grips for S&W 1905 .38spl?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
September 16, 2007, 08:08 PM
Smith & Wesson used many variations ( of grips on the Model of 1905 4th change over the past 102 years. To install the correct grips, you must first know about when your revolver was made. Post your serial with any alphabetical prefix, leaving the last two digits as X's, and the year can be determined and the correct grip suggested.

FWIW, any K frame grip will fit, but only one type is "correct".

Old Fuff
September 16, 2007, 08:10 PM
From 1902 to 1945 S&W used several styles of walnut grips on square butt revolvers, and one style made of black hard-rubber on the round butt ones. Other patterns and materials were optional. If you will post the serial number of your gun (use xx for the last 2 numbers) it can be determined which style would be right for what you have.

Be aware that during that time frame the stocks were individually fitted to a particular frame, and serial numbered to match it. Therefore original stocks from one revolver may not be a perfect fit on another one.

September 16, 2007, 08:34 PM
Okay, the serial number appears to be -S-8402XX.

Right now it's a choice between gaudy oversized smooth wood grips I have laying here, or a horrible Hogue rubber finger groove grip. It pains me to consider either being on there long-term!

September 16, 2007, 08:47 PM
This would be a 1945-1948 Smith & Wesson M&P. The correct grip would be a transitional magna ( The fourth gun down in the picture above has transitional magnas. It is serial S8419XX

These are occasionally available on ebay and at gunshows. The sharp top edge of the grip is what makes it the transitional magna.

September 16, 2007, 08:51 PM
How much should I expect to pay for the grip? Is there anyone producing a reasonable copy?

September 16, 2007, 08:57 PM
If you are lucky, a set of transitionals might be found for $10. Many folks don't realize there is a difference. A set of transitionals usually runs $25-50.

The next most appropriate grip would be diamond magnas. These usually run $20-35. They look the same, function the same, but lack the sharp "transitional" upper edge.

Finally, a set of non-diamond magnas would fit. These are Smith & Wesson magna grips that lack the diamond. They usually sell for $10-25, depending on condition.

Any of these will fit, all will look OK to most folks. A Smith & Wesson collector will immediately pick up on the lack of transitionals though. As far as I know, there are no reasonably priced walnut reproductions. You can buy poured resin reproductions, but it doesn't make sense when original walnut grips of a slightly different era will fit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Finding grips for S&W 1905 .38spl?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!