Is the M1A gas system limited in powder choice?

PDA

eldon519
September 16, 2007, 07:49 PM
I've read up some on the M1 Garand and how the gas system is pretty much limited to handling powder equal to or faster than IMR 4320 or else the residual pressure further down the barrel will beat up the operating rod. Does anyone know if the M1A/M14 is subject to the same limitations?

TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the M1A gas system limited in powder choice?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
September 16, 2007, 07:55 PM
Yes and NO

ANY semiautomatic is limited in the range of burnrates that can be used BUT unlike 30-06 with .308 you'll be hard pressed to find data using powders that are too slow for a M1A to cope with

GunTech
September 16, 2007, 10:44 PM
There are a range of powders suitable for the M1A. Stick with them and you'll be OK. You want the port pressure correct.

I've had issues with insufficient pressures with certain bullets. I'd get ejection, but the bolt doesn't come back far enough to pick up the next round. Stick with the standards: 4895, N135, 2520, BL-C(2), W748, etc. Keep your piston clean. The M1A uses a constant volume gas system. If you get too much gunk in there, you can have problems.

elenius
September 17, 2007, 12:47 AM
Also, there are adjustable gas plugs for the M1A. I don't know that anyone really needs one though.

Dienekes
September 17, 2007, 01:47 AM
Concur with Guntech. I stick with classic loads with classic powders for classic results. In my case, 4895 and 2520 for both M1 and M1A.

When I first started reloading long ago in another galaxy there were too many powders and combinations for one person to ever get through. That has only expanded since for no real advantage that I can see.

Sort of like the 10,000 kinds of gun oil out there.

Bwana John
September 17, 2007, 11:57 AM
Yes, stick to 4064 and 4895.
It is limited in projectile weights also, stay under 168 gr.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the M1A gas system limited in powder choice?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!